PDA

View Full Version : Different User Name Showing Up in Theoryland Login

Tamyrlin
03-22-2008, 05:07 PM
I've noticed this and it has been reported by others. I'm sure I screwed something up, with the mix of these two login php files. It appears, the username in Theoryland's log in box can change, although the my theories, my replies, etc., do not change.

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. I was Davian for a moment in my case and submitted a reply to a theory and it showed up as Davian...which is very problematic.

Good thing we are testing before we bring everyone over.

For now, if this happens to you, you can log out of your Theoryland login and log back in and it should be fixed.

I will have Jason look into what is going wrong.

Terez
03-22-2008, 05:36 PM
Yup, that seems to have fixed it for me. :D

Davian93
03-22-2008, 06:57 PM
I've noticed this and it has been reported by others. I'm sure I screwed something up, with the mix of these two login php files. It appears, the username in Theoryland's log in box can change, although the my theories, my replies, etc., do not change.

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. I was Davian for a moment in my case and submitted a reply to a theory and it showed up as Davian...which is very problematic.

LOL!!!

That must have been a very scary couple of moments for you Tam

Terez
03-22-2008, 07:12 PM
Looks like you're missing a bracket there, Dav...

I'm Tamyrlin again. :D

Davian93
03-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Looks like you're missing a bracket there, Dav...

I'm Tamyrlin again. :D

Better?

Terez
03-22-2008, 07:22 PM
If only I could access all Tam's nifty options...

Davian93
03-22-2008, 07:28 PM
If only I could access all Tam's nifty options...

That would be cool. So far I've come up as Winespring Brother and Tam when logging in...I've never posted as someone else though.

Terez
03-22-2008, 07:29 PM
Yeah, that's probably one of Tam's nifty options. :D

Davian93
03-22-2008, 07:35 PM
Yeah, that's probably one of Tam's nifty options. :D

Congrats on 10 posts!!!! :D

Terez
03-22-2008, 07:49 PM
uhh, congrats on 12. :D

Davian93
03-22-2008, 08:10 PM
uhh, congrats on 12. :D

Woohoo...lucky 13!

Terez
03-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Bout time you caught up. :p

Davian93
03-22-2008, 08:23 PM
Bout time you caught up. :p

Thanks...I doubt I'll be able to in the long run though.

Terez
03-22-2008, 10:48 PM
I'm WSB now. :D

Terez
03-22-2008, 11:25 PM
Jeez...now I'm YAGA. At least everyone else who's shown up so far has been someone that's posted...

jason wolfbrother
03-23-2008, 05:57 AM
pretty sure I'm just me. one of me is more than enough :cool: :D

GonzoTheGreat
03-25-2008, 08:15 AM
Simple solution: do not log in to Theoryland. As long as you're not logged in there, you won't be incorrectly identified either.

Now, isn't this a brilliant fix?

Tamyrlin
03-25-2008, 07:43 PM
But brilliant in an obvious sort of way.

Terez
03-26-2008, 02:50 AM
Woo, I'm Weird Harold now! It was getting old, being Tam...

EDIT: And as soon as I post that, I'm back to being Tam... :(

Weird Harold
03-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Woo, I'm Weird Harold now! It was getting old, being Tam...

EDIT: And as soon as I post that, I'm back to being Tam... :(
Perhaps a clue there.

You and I were the only ones online around midnight (my time) last night and as far as I can tell from a quick check, I was the last one to post in the forums before you showed up as me on the main site log-in.

Terez
03-26-2008, 11:22 AM
Well, I showed up as Yaga once, so that's not much of a clue. :D

Weird Harold
03-26-2008, 11:30 AM
Well, I showed up as Yaga once, so that's not much of a clue. :D
NO, but it might not be related to forum activity but just activity in general.

The way the forums are framed, each time a forum page is displayed, the community information on the left is updated -- i.e. the cookie that keeps me logged in there is accessed as well as the cookie that keeps me logged into the forums.

Terez
03-26-2008, 11:32 AM
Now I'm you again. :D

Weird Harold
03-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Now I'm you again. :D
Apparently we're both me at the moment. :p

I'm not sure why, but I don't have the problem of changing names -- perhaps because I never log out so the cookie never gets reset?

PS: When you're showing as logged in as Weird Harold, what shows on the community summary in the left column? For me it shows:

Online Now: 2

Weird Harold, terez,

and has shown both of us the whole time I've been posting today (plus "Daughter of the" when she was on the main site until just recently, but not Crispin who is only logged into the forums.)

Birgitte
03-26-2008, 12:51 PM
I'm currently Weird Harold, though it shows just me signed into both the forums and the main site. And I was Zaela for awhile before but it didn't show that she was online at all either.

jason wolfbrother
03-27-2008, 11:10 PM
and I thought I was immune.

then I noticed I was Crispin's Crispin (or whatever SDogs new handle is) Welcome back btw ;) hehe

I'm posting here as JWB (obviously) but on the main board over to the left (where I am always logged in) I was Terez when I first opened the message board, Gil for a minute when I opened the non-wot board, and now I'm Birgitte as I'm posting this. :eek: somehow I thought being a female would feel different;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D :D :cool: let alone three different women in a two minute period

Edit: and now that I posted this I'm Tamyrlin. I feel so powerful ;)

Terez
03-27-2008, 11:37 PM
I have been you as well, but now I'm Crispy. But even being Tam doesn't feel any different, since he's a lowly Ancient when I'm him. :)

Terez
03-28-2008, 02:02 AM
PS: When you're showing as logged in as Weird Harold, what shows on the community summary in the left column?
I missed this question somehow...probably the way vBulletin marks forums read when you visit the page, even if you don't have time to read anything, and then of course I click on the thread from the main page and it takes me to the first "unread" post...but ANYWAY...mine doesn't seem to have much to do with who's signed into theoryland.com at all - for instance, Yaga does not log into theoryland.com, and though he showed up the other day at Yuku (he shows up intermittently) he is an Elder so he presumably doesn't know we're playing over here so I doubt he's come over this way for anything. However, I do have all of my private messages on vBulletin from the previous testing, when the Elders were let in, and Yaga sent me a few messages here, and I've viewed that page several times this time around. I haven't shown up as Callandor though, and I have PMs from him. I haven't shown up as anyone that doesn't have a vBulletin account, and the only person I've shown up as that isn't here this time around is Yaga. I haven't shown up as anyone until they've shown up, either - except for Yaga. Some members have been trickling in and when they do, then their name enters the rotation...but it's not precisely a rotation because certain people show up on mine more often than others, from what I can tell, and certain people don't show up at all.

jason wolfbrother
03-28-2008, 09:13 AM
since I've been logged in (and I'm the only one online right now, both the main board and the message board here) I've been terez, Tamyrlin, Birgitte, JSUCamel (just one hump ;)) and now Birgitte again.:confused: :confused: :confused:

all this gender switching is making me dizzy (plus these heels Birgitte was wearing are killing me...at least I think they were Birgitte's ;) ;) :eek: :cool: :rolleyes:

Terez
03-28-2008, 03:31 PM
Question for you guys: when you show up as me, do you show up as "Terez" or "terez"? Because the first is my vBulletin handle and the second is my theoryland.com handle, and so far, I've only shown up as people that have registered at vBulletin, including people (such as Crispin's Crispian) that haven't registered at theoryland.com at all.

jason wolfbrother
03-28-2008, 04:54 PM
pretty sure it was "Terez" when I was you for those few minutes ;)

Edit: Possible clue. I hadn't read anything on the Guild Wars board and I think that is the only place Ivhon has posted. Well on a hunch I checked out the thread, read one of his posts, and suddenly I was Ivhon. Same thing happened again when I read one of Sei'taer's posts. not sure why it is happening but it seems the first time you read a new post by someone different you become them. at least for a minute I guess :rolleyes:

Crispin's Crispian
03-28-2008, 06:05 PM
pretty sure it was "Terez" when I was you for those few minutes ;)

Edit: Possible clue. I hadn't read anything on the Guild Wars board and I think that is the only place Ivhon has posted. Well on a hunch I checked out the thread, read one of his posts, and suddenly I was Ivhon. Same thing happened again when I read one of Sei'taer's posts. not sure why it is happening but it seems the first time you read a new post by someone different you become them. at least for a minute I guess :rolleyes:
Are you all logging in through Theoryland.com, or vBulletin? I only have this account on the board, not the main site, so I have been logging to vBulletin directly and have had no problems.

Logging out can be fun, though. You have to do it twice...

For the record, when I show up as Terez I usually wear a miniskirt.

Weird Harold
03-28-2008, 09:34 PM
Are you all logging in through Theoryland.com, or vBulletin? I only have this account on the board, not the main site, so I have been logging to vBulletin directly and have had no problems.

Logging out can be fun, though. You have to do it twice...

As a test, I've logged out of TL.com and am just statying with the auto-login to the forums for the time being.

Whether the incidence of my name turning up increases or decreases might help narrow things down.

I did some exploring in the theoryland cookies on my system and found that it contains BBUSERID == 16 and validthluser == 608.

That's in "harold@theoryland.txt" However, the forum software also uses "harold@WWW.theoryland.txt" for remembering the one thread I rated.

Perhaps just changing the name of the cookie file for one of the login scripts will cure the problem?

jason wolfbrother
03-29-2008, 06:16 AM

I logged into the main site first, and clicked the remember me box. then I logged into the message board link Tam sent and I've stayed logged in ever since :):confused: :confused:

Terez
03-29-2008, 04:27 PM
hehe...you shouldn't, because you have flabby thighs. :p

Crispin's Crispian
03-31-2008, 11:57 AM
hehe...you shouldn't, because you have flabby thighs. :p
No cellulite, though. Plus, they're getting better.

Terez
03-31-2008, 01:08 PM
True, no cellulite. As much as I have always had to battle flab, I've never had to deal with that. :D

*knocks on wood er....formica*

Enigma
03-31-2008, 04:09 PM
Is it possible to be two people at the same time. Directly up from the text box it says "Welcom Enigma" but over on the top right is says "member Crispin\'s Crispian.

I seem to have become younger as well going from Hero to Ancient.

Enigma
03-31-2008, 04:13 PM
Now it seems everything is okey. Two minutes= very fast response time

Weird Harold
03-31-2008, 05:30 PM
Is it possible to be two people at the same time. Directly up from the text box it says "Welcom Enigma" but over on the top right is says "member Crispin\'s Crispian.

I seem to have become younger as well going from Hero to Ancient.
Yep, that's a pretty good description of the whole probelm as I understand it. So is the changing back within two minites part.

As near as I can tell, only you an Crispin's were loggied in at ~~1400 PT (which is the date/time stamp I see for your posts) Although it doesn't show any specific activity for him at the time you had the problem and the problem then corrected itself.

Bryan Blaire
04-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Now I is Terez, as an HoH, but also a Youngling as me, and without any privileges.

I am so confused!

:(

Terez
04-01-2008, 10:38 AM
I finally showed up as "Terez". It's been "terez" plenty of times, but that's the first time I showed up as my own vBulletin login...

Enigma
04-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Do we still log in twice, once for the message board and one for the main site? I though that one log in was to do for both on the new board but I've managed to log out of the site while still loged in on the message board.

Sorry if the question is lame but I'm technically challenged when it comes to these things.

Birgitte
04-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Nope, the heels are definitely not mine, JWB. lol... I don't own heels over an inch. I bet Camel is hiding something... ;)

Weird Harold
04-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Do we still log in twice, once for the message board and one for the main site? I though that one log in was to do for both on the new board but I've managed to log out of the site while still loged in on the message board.

Sorry if the question is lame but I'm technically challenged when it comes to these things.
Yep, currently you have different userid numbers for the forums and for the main site -- although both are using the same cookie file to control login; hence the problem with the wrong name popping up on the TL user section.

Since you've got two different user numbers you have to log in for each of them.

Ishara
04-01-2008, 07:44 PM
I have to say that I have not had ANY problems with the new site - but I only signed into the message board and not the main page.

Terez
04-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Yeah, as Gonzo pointed out earlier, the problem is pretty easy for us to fix, since most of us don't use theoryland.com for anything beyond checking factions and searches, which we can still do. There hasn't been much action in the theories section for some time now, and the most major problem with the name thing is that, if we try to make a reply in the theories section, it will show up under the impostor name. But it's important to Tam, because he wants the message board and theoryland.com to be intertwined, as we see here. theoryland.com is his baby, and I think he wants more people to play over...here. :)

Tamyrlin
04-02-2008, 07:57 AM
Jason is working on fixing a more important issue at the moment, but I should be able to bend his ear a bit this weekend to fix this problem. I think WH has it right - it looks to be a cookie/mixing issue. I tried to fix it once, but my fix broke everything, so I think we should wait for Jason on this one.

And yes, once I do get this fixed - I expect you lazy bums to participate more on the main site...and of course, I will to, by reviewing and posting some of the 40 theories in queue...yes, I'm a lazy bum too.

Weird Harold
04-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Two weeks now without any additonal complants or comments -- is this fixed or is everyone just waiting it out?

Davian93
04-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Jason is working on fixing a more important issue at the moment, but I should be able to bend his ear a bit this weekend to fix this problem. I think WH has it right - it looks to be a cookie/mixing issue. I tried to fix it once, but my fix broke everything, so I think we should wait for Jason on this one.

And yes, once I do get this fixed - I expect you lazy bums to participate more on the main site...and of course, I will to, by reviewing and posting some of the 40 theories in queue...yes, I'm a lazy bum too.

We have a main site?

jason wolfbrother
04-16-2008, 09:51 AM
I'm just waiting it out. It is still happening every time I log in. Right now I'm Ishara ;)

Birgitte
04-16-2008, 09:25 PM
No, I'm Ishara!

Nae'blis
05-24-2008, 10:22 PM
Jason believes he's figured out a fix to the bug that's currently preventing our move to the new boards. The fix should go live tomorrow. We'd like everyone to log out and then back into the new boards and see if they get a repeat of the problem.

jason wolfbrother
05-25-2008, 12:56 AM
now I'm listed as Sei'taer boss :(

and ever since I posted this I've been Nae'blis. don't worry I didn't do anything...at least you can't prove it was me ;)

ShadowbaneX
05-25-2008, 01:54 AM
uh, JWB, it says that the fix will go live TOMORROW...as in, the fix isn't implimented yet.

Thanks for the heads up Nae'blis. I'll give this a try tomorrow (probably night as I'm busy most of the day). Good news though. Cannot wait to move here permenantly and leave yuku forever!

jason wolfbrother
05-25-2008, 06:28 AM
so maybe I should stop skimming the posts and actually read what the bossman said? what a crazy idea ;)

ShadowbaneX
05-25-2008, 12:15 PM
I know, it's contrary to popular methods, but some times it's for the best. ;)

Terez
05-25-2008, 02:45 PM
I'm just me. :D

jason wolfbrother
05-25-2008, 05:40 PM
well I logged into the vbulletin message board first, read this thread, then logged into the main page and I came up SBX. sorry Tam but something is still screwy

Terez
05-25-2008, 11:20 PM
He told me 7 or 8 pm, so try again. :)

Weird Harold
05-25-2008, 11:58 PM
He told me 7 or 8 pm, so try again. :)
I've been on and logged into both Forum and Main site since about 7PM PDT -- through Tamyrlin's visit, JWB's Visit and your visit -- contantly refreshing several pages without a manifestation of the problem.

I'm not sure I'm the best indicator though, because I've only seen the problem once for only as long as it took to refresh the page.

GonzoTheGreat
05-26-2008, 06:01 AM
The problem seems to have disappeared, but I would wait with declaring victory until a number of posters have been here at the same time. Just one (me, in this case) may not be enough to be sure of success.

jason wolfbrother
05-26-2008, 10:12 AM
still not fixed Terez. logged out after I read your thread, logged back in to both main site and here and as I clicked reply for this post I was SBX again. and now I'm terez ;)

Terez
05-26-2008, 10:25 AM
Yeah, I talked to Tam earlier and he said that it's not gone live yet - it will be some time later today. He also said they're pretty sure it's fixed. :)

Nae'blis
05-26-2008, 02:43 PM
ok, after a few minor issues the fix is live. If everyone would please log out of both vBulletin and Theoryland, then log back in, we'll put this fix through it's paces.

Tamyrlin
05-26-2008, 02:45 PM
Um - please test, log out of both sites, log back and and let me know if you are still you.

Terez
05-26-2008, 02:47 PM
k boss...I logged out of both and back into both, and I'm still me, and I'll let you know if I show up as anyone else. :D

GonzoTheGreat
05-26-2008, 03:01 PM
I'm still me, but then: I have a very stable personality, and I stayed me even before the fix was applied, apparently. Well, sometimes, at least. I've been other persons while I was here too. I'll report it if I turn into anyone else again.

jason wolfbrother
05-26-2008, 09:46 PM
kay logged out of vbulletin and theoryland and now logged back in. so far so good ;)

Yay I'm me again ;) :cool: :cool:

Terez
05-27-2008, 12:00 AM
me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me! :D