PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Jordan Con!

Marrow Rahien
04-20-2009, 08:47 PM
I think I'll be the first new member of the site who found you all thanks to Tamyrlin's wonderful representing of you all at Jordan Con. My name is Jakob, and I ran the book discussions that went on during the convention, and was fortunate enough to have Tamyrlin take part in two of my panels.

I'll be slow to get started around here because now that J*Con 09 is wrapped I have to get back into rhythm with my normal life and diving into a new internet community never really helps with that, but I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you as my schedule relaxes and I can give Theoryland and you all the attention you deserve.

Eclipse
04-20-2009, 09:07 PM
theorize most dutifully, and spell like a Webster, or you shall rue the day...

i rued the day once... didn't get much else done.

i'm kidding of course. ay kant spel 2 safe my live, and my theres r sometimes the stuf uv komedik legend.
so party on wayne. party on garth.

btw, this is Lee, and i still have my gold star. reminds me; that thing good for NEXT year? heh heh.

ShadowbaneX
04-20-2009, 09:16 PM
welcome, Jakob, to Theoryland. It's great to have you here. I don't post nearly as much as I used to, but I imagine that will change once the next book comes out.

Marrow Rahien
04-20-2009, 09:17 PM
btw, this is Lee, and i still have my gold star. reminds me; that thing good for NEXT year? heh heh.

Hey Lee! Yes, those will absolutely be good next year, though I'll hopefully have a newly designed one for next year to boot. Lee = Eclipse, I think I'm going to have to build a list just so I don't cross folks up.

Marrow Rahien
04-20-2009, 09:19 PM
welcome, Jakob, to Theoryland. It's great to have you here. I don't post nearly as much as I used to, but I imagine that will change once the next book comes out.

Thanks. :)

And yes, I am excited to see the online communities when the next book releases. I've been reading the series for seventeen years now, but I didn't join the online community at all until after KoD was released, so I've never seen how crazy everyone gets.

ShadowbaneX
04-20-2009, 09:29 PM
I've been at it for...geee, aCoS, so about 10-11 years now. I sort of missed the release party for KoD, but I was around for the others and it was a site to behold and it'll be fun to see what happens now that the end is nigh.

It's fun people reacting to events and seeing old theories proven right or wrong, and new theories coming up to deal with those curveballs that Jordan used to love throwing our way.

Zaela Sedai
04-20-2009, 09:32 PM
Consider yourself officially welcomed to Theoryland Marrow!! (So great to have you here (Good job Lordy ;) )! I wish I was there, DragonCon was great with RJ, but this woulda been so cool! maybe next year . Enjoy us!!! )As I'm sure you've noticed, we have a pretty decent community of WoT fanatics over here. One of the ways that we keep it all friendly is a short list of courtesies we ask people to follow and, once in a while, actually do get followed. Imagine that! Insane people following some sort of order!

1) Don't flood the board with multiple THREADS all at once.
Allow us the time to absorb, evaluate, and discuss, OR LAUGH at one or two ideas, OR JOKES at a time. Some of us like to do a little research before responding and that can take a little time. Of course, we also have those others who are just a bit slow. Read that as "just can't handle more than one thought in their heads at once" or "dial-up modem". Your choice. I'd suggest "have a real life", but not likely. Does anyone still have dial up? Wow...it's getting hard to give the slow people an excuse

Addendum to 1) Try to stay on topic.
Going off on tangents can be super fun and is something we are all guilty of your's truly included but try and keep threads on topic unless, 1) the thread is dead or 2) the thread naturally moves over to another topic. This rule is much more lax for joke threads, pop culture threads...etc.

2) Try to back up your opinions & theories.
You'll get a lot more respect if you can. Quotes from the books (of which you CANNOT read too much) are your best weapon. Quotes from interviews are semi-acceptable. Gut feelings are pseudo-acceptable. Whitecloak blind-faith is best submitted while wearing asbestos panties.

3) Feel free to get as emotionally involved as you'd like.
Discussions can get very heated. But try not to take things personally. Remember: we only insult the ones we love. Or the ones we eventually hand over to the Trollocs.

4) Be respectful.
A lot of people have been around Theoryland for a long time. Being a Youngling means you're new around here. We do understand that you may have been reading WoT forever, but if you're gonna pick a fight regarding a WoT theory with someone who's an Elder, Ancient or Hero, understand that they've been around for a while now, and probably have posting friends. And Tamyrlin is Lord of the Board for a reason: this whole place is his brainchild. Keep that in mind. They also have posting enemies.... a good little bit of information to tuck away.

Addendum to 4: This is an international community.
In regards to the Non-WoT discussion groups, please respect the opinions of people from nations and cultures other than your own, even if you disagree with them or the policies of their leaders and politicians. Try to remember that not everyone here has the same outlook or life experience that you might. If you want to send a letter or e-mail to anyone in particular to indicate any specific moral, educational, intellectual, or genetic deficiencies they may have, feel free. Just please don't do it here.

Addendum 1 to Addendum 4: We don't all agree about the issues regarding the military action in Iraq. Post about this issue at your own risk. Things seem to be under control now. Though, there have been some flare-ups….be careful. We have had our own TLers over there, back home safe and sound, hope it stays that way. (I can't wait to be able to delete this Addendum.)

Addendum 2 to Addendum 4: Please no angry profanity.
If you really need to tell someone off, be creative. And replacing characters with @$$ does NOT constitute creativity. I like tend to like the Shakespearean approach myself. The smarter and more subtle you are with it, just makes the person look that much more an idiot.

Addendum 3 to Addendum 4: Please be nice to Newbies.
We were all new at one time you are one right now and there is no need to come down on anyone for asking questions that to the elder community may be basic knowledge. This is for you to remember after you've been here awhile.

Addendum 4 to Addendum 4: Please TRY not to feed the Trolls.
Trust me, it ain't easy at times, but ignore the obvious instigators. Just sit yourself down between the Heroes and Ancients sharpening the WTF Couch sticks. There are many on the board who know how to deal with this breed, leave them to it. It can be quite entertaining. If things get too offensive to the population in general, Mods will intervene. Feel free, however, to respond to Gonzo, our Resident Troll, we love him like a red-headed step child.

5) Please don't use the New Users Forum to recruit.
We have plenty of room in the other forums for begging for support for factions, theories, and the TCA. Please let the newbies look around for a while before taking sides in any pseudo-battles. ~looks around~ our biggest offender has not been around for a while ~sniff~

6) Most important: Have Fun!
We do this because we love it and like to think that we are, at least, reasonably intelligent. Hell, some of us have deluded ourselves into believing that we've evolved into supremely intelligent beings! Half the posters here believe that divine supremacy has already come to them! My vote is for Frenzy, and myself, of course. You know the Truth when you see it. :D Don't let T and her massive bag o' quotes fool you. ;) We will assume some intelligence on your part. You found us, didn't you? Until you prove otherwise…and there are many who have, you'll be safe. If you get hurt if you do prove otherwise, I will offer my one free Healing…but just that once.

Remember, you EARN your respect here, it's not given out freely and some may never know the pleasure.

Welcome to our little rounded corner! It’s a great time!

Enjoy!

Zaela Sedai, Official Theoryland Greeter, Mistress of Novices

P.S.: Be good…don’t make me take out my chains, I am the Lady of them for a reason! ;) stupid no evil smilie

KEEP READING IF YOU KNOW WHAT'S GOOD FOR YOU ;)
Here's some stuff you'd be much better off knowing BEFORE you post :cool:

Hierarchy

Heroes of the Horn

Have been here longer than most, and some of them have been around since the dawn of time. You don't have to worship at their feet (well you can worship at Frenzy's, if you must), but a little respect goes a long way.

Ancients

The next group down from HotH. Also tend to be prolific posters, although some Ancients suffer from a mysterious disease. It sometimes happens that once an Ancient is raised, they disappear for a while, or forever. It really can be a blessing in disguise.

Elders

The next group up from Younglings. More knowledgeable than Younglings, not necessarily less knowledgable than Ancients. They have been here long enough to know better about most things. I repeat, MOST things

Younglings

By far the biggest bunch at Theoryland. Just means that you are recently signed up, not that you're young and/or immature. You might have to prove that, though. But you can edit your own posts! Yippee! Umm yeah...enjoy that.

So, how do you move up the Ranks?

Well, posting madly and racking up a huge post count, begging for Reputation Scores won't get you anywhere. It's not even just about hanging around for a set amount of time.

Here's how you DO move up: participate thoughtfully and politely so that when Tamyrlin decides the time has come for a Raising, you're seen as an asset to the community. Or whenever he gets around to it.

When the feeling strikes him, Tamyrlin, The Lord Of The Board aka LotB, or Fearless Leader or Lordy, (but only I may get away with that one), confers with the Heroes of the Horn and Ancients and selects those to be raised to a higher level. It is an entirely manual and subjective process that stresses "quality" over "quantity." The amount of time since you gained your current rank plays a role, as do post counts, to a lesser extent. Thoughtful, intelligent and polite posting is by far the biggest factor.

Other important information...

The ESC does not stand for Escape. Instead it stands for the Entropy Sideline Club It has a big comfy couch, capable of fitting all TL members at once if they choose to sit there. Made of fire-proof, balefire-proof, and belafire-proof hope to God you aren't in the room if this occurs fabric. Comes with all sorts of built in coolers stuffed full of yummy snacks and drinks; for some reason, Mountain Dew seems to be a favourite around here and lots of places to just sit back and enjoy the reason you're sitting there. Basically if you hang out on the ESC Couch, you are observing the debates taking place: Iraq, religion, government, Santa Claus (you name it, we argue over it) and laughing at the people who are debating, and/or the debate itself. The ESC is not full of fence-sitters, rather we are ambivalent or way too smart to jump in. Or lazy. Most times, it's lazy. The ESC Couch (ESC Head Quarters) is located somewhere fun...lots of room for partying whenever the mood strikes us. We have recently debuted the WTF Couch...for those "Special" moments. Moments that induce the sharpening of the not-so-elusive poking stick. Poking posters with sticks is exclusively limited to Ancients and Heroes. We do, however, take requests.

The TCA. Theoryland Chataholics Anonymous. This group is comprised mostly of the younger set of TL members. not that there's anything wrong with that I have been assured they do more than sit in corners and stare at their navels. although I've yet to see evidence of that ~sarcasm~ They have a lot of fun, and most of it involves cookies. They are somewhat defunct right now, as we have no chat, alas! Don't worry, they'll be back with a vengeance as soon as chat is up and running here. Lordy says, soon. ~shifty eyes~

Quotemasters, AKA Masters/Mistresses of the Quote:
If you sign up for a Premium membership to the site, you get the ability to search the database for quotes to back up your theories, or the theories of those you like. It also gives you the ability to slam dunk the theories of others with a really well-placed quote. A Premium membership only costs $15 for a year and $50 for a lifetime membership. Just do it, you know you want to! But, a warning. Being in possession of a TL Premium membership does not a Quotemaster make. You must apprentice and train under the Quotemasters. Of which there are two and three quarters. Jason Wolfbrother, Callandor retired for now, Terez and the Quote Mistress, although she seems to be in semi-retirement: Me. You'll see me throw one in every now and again! Frenzy was the Dark Mother of us all she may occasionally find some time when her biological children are occupied and throw in a quote or two ;) Downside? You only get 100 quote searches a month, and a true quotemaster is invariably without quote searches towards the end, so they get cranky. Withdrawal does that, didn't ya know?

Zaela Sedai
04-20-2009, 09:35 PM
And yes... as soon as the next book comes out. LOL.

Tamyrlin
04-21-2009, 12:06 AM
Great to see you made it. If for some reason you decide you have plenty of time to waste catching up or browsing around old discussions, click that Yuku (EZBoard) link at the top of this page. Otherwise, feel free to jump in whenever. And yes...in a few months, we should see things pick up substantially as everyone takes their final stands before the next book is released.

Terez
04-21-2009, 12:12 AM
Welcome!

I made it here before the Knife of Dreams madness but I was unfortunately distracted by herraken aftermath during the initial madness...

Marrow Rahien
04-21-2009, 12:16 AM
Great to see you made it. If for some reason you decide you have plenty of time to waste catching up or browsing around old discussions, click that Yuku (EZBoard) link at the top of this page. Otherwise, feel free to jump in whenever. And yes...in a few months, we should see things pick up substantially as everyone takes their final stands before the next book is released.

Thanks for the tip (which name do you prefer we use around here? I'm good with Marrow or Jake/Jakob). I'll give them a look.

And thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! :)

Tamyrlin
04-21-2009, 12:20 AM
I'm energized from JordanCon. There are going to be some big changes around here...I hope before November comes around.

WinespringBrother
04-21-2009, 12:20 AM
Welcome, Jakob! Glad to see we made a good impression at JordanCon LOL and always good to get some new blood here. I enjoyed all the panels btw.

Marrow Rahien
04-21-2009, 12:37 AM
I'm energized from JordanCon. There are going to be some big changes around here...I hope before November comes around.

I know exactly how you feel. It was a really positive energy con.

And Winespring Brother -- I'm glad you had a good time!

Belazamon
04-21-2009, 01:02 AM
Howdy!

Frenzy
04-21-2009, 01:14 AM
Welcome, Marrow, and enjoy. Kick the tires, post a theory, dive into a discussion. You'll need a thick skin. We're not all that rude, just terribly terribly hard core fan freak.

Going by what i've heard vicariously thru our reps at J*C, you'll like it here. :)

Sarevok
04-21-2009, 03:24 AM
Welcome to the boards, Jakob/Marrow!!! (that's gonna be confusing :) )

*sets Naz on fire*

Terez
04-21-2009, 05:35 AM
So...Marrow sunrise? Does that make sense? Only thing I can think of from the series having to do with marrow was how Machin Shin liked to suck it. Or it liked to talk about it anyway.

Marrow Rahien
04-21-2009, 06:43 AM
So...Marrow sunrise? Does that make sense? Only thing I can think of from the series having to do with marrow was how Machin Shin liked to suck it. Or it liked to talk about it anyway.

long, boring story about that to follow...

Back when I was 13ish, I played in a role playing game called Rifts that had a monster race that were these 20' tall beasts known as Dragon Slayers. The sample npc of the race was a lovely gent named Bonecrusher. At that stage I was a big Machin'Shin fan (in fact, my old school aol name from back then was machnshin@aol.com, back when aol wouldn't let you have names long enough to get the full on MachinShin) and the line "break the bones and drink the marrow" always stuck out in my head. So I took the name Marrowdrinker for my character and the name stuck around whenever I played monster races in rpg's and eventually into MMO's.

So years ago, while playing the MMO Dark Age of Camelot, I decided to make a bot character. So I was trying to think of a catchy "bot" name to go along with my regular Marrowdrinker, and the idea of going with a Marrow"light" to my original/regular version just amused the hell out of me. Unfortunately, as tends to happen in games such as DAoC, my bot ended up being a far better class than my main, and it became my main...and as such people knew me for years as Marrowlight. This then became my default internet name for message boards, until I got involved in WoT -- Tar Valon.net was my first site, and their naming policies are a bit too strict to allow a name like that. So a quick scan through the Old Tongue dictionary later, and I opted to go with Marrow Rahien. Marrow "Dawn" (or Sunrise, translation I saw was Dawn iirc) was close enough to my tastes to match Marrowlight, and I just liked the look and sound of the word Rahien. Just for the sake of community consistency, I kept the same name for Dragonmount, Age of Legends, elsewhere, and now here. :)

So yeah, long boring story indeed...but it's a path that was at least in some level firmly grounded to WoT and the Machin'Shin. So you were spot on there!

Marrow Rahien
04-21-2009, 06:44 AM
Welcome to the boards, Jakob/Marrow!!! (that's gonna be confusing :) )

*sets Naz on fire*

Uh oh, is there another Jakob here?

And thanks for the kind words Frenzy -- it's glad to know I left the Con with at least a bit of a good reputation! :)

Sarevok
04-21-2009, 08:00 AM
Uh oh, is there another Jakob here?

Not that I know of (but probable). What I meant was that it's confusing for ppl that aren't regular visitors to know that ppl referring to "Jakob" and "Marrow" mean the same guy. ;)

Nazbaque
04-21-2009, 08:01 AM
*Enters like a blazing star*

*Takes off his hat and bows*

Welcome Jakob. You may call me Naz. I am the Great Lord of Fire.

*Takes one of the marshmellows floating over his head in weaves of Air and eats it*

Feel free to take one.

Ishara
04-21-2009, 08:28 AM
I'm taking a stand. It's Marrow from now on. Just so you know. ;)

I'm Ishara, hi! Welcome and stuff. ;)

Leanne
04-21-2009, 09:27 AM
Welcome! I also had the pleasure of sitting in on a few panels. I am surprised you have not started a discussion about the Kin here yet. ;)

Terez
04-21-2009, 02:51 PM
So yeah, long boring story indeed...but it's a path that was at least in some level firmly grounded to WoT and the Machin'Shin. So you were spot on there!
Only because I narrowed my possibilities to WoT. There's only one translation for Rahien (dawn/sunrise, whatever) and one mindless evil marrow-sucking zephyr demon in WoT. :)

Brita
04-21-2009, 03:31 PM
Welcome Marrow!

Isabel
04-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Welcome! I also had the pleasure of sitting in on a few panels. I am surprised you have not started a discussion about the Kin here yet. ;)

Hehe, yeah lets talk about the Kin :P :P
Btw welcome Jacob, nice to see you here.

Regards, Isabel // Emma

Zaela Sedai
04-21-2009, 05:09 PM
confusion gone, I updated your greet ;)

Marrow Rahien
04-21-2009, 05:29 PM
If you think this is confusing, I've got Marrow and Jakob plus five other nicknames I was given (not all by choice :D ) on Tar Valon, two of them being spelling variations of the same nickname that different factions prefer.

Thanks again for the continued warm greetings! And I begin to fear that years from now, if I'm still lucky enough to be on book panels at JCon and/or DragonCon I'll still be hearing about the Kin. :D

ShadowbaneX
04-21-2009, 05:43 PM
we're still hearing about Taimendred and Asmo's killer, so I think you're probably right.

Jonai
04-21-2009, 10:11 PM
The Kin are like herpes, they never completely go away, they just go into remission.

Think we'll ever get a Taim PoV? That might be the only way to really settle that arguement. Other than having Taim and Demandred in the same room.

Terez
04-21-2009, 10:45 PM
When BS announced the number of points of view on Facebook, I asked him nicely for a Taim one...

Eclipse
04-21-2009, 10:53 PM
i could have sworn Jordan unequivocally nixed the taimandred idea. said specifically, demandred is NOT taim... no?

hey, if this one is still going on, then i debate the truth behind his answer to who he would eliminate from the list of asmo's killer. as in "who would I eliminate from the list of killers," and he thinks to himself in his mind, if i COULD, but knows he can't, because it's already been decided and comes into play later...

FAIN'S THE MAN!! long live the fain killed asmo theory!

Jonai
04-21-2009, 10:59 PM
You're my hero Terez. The number of PoVs Brandon stated are in the book is an interesting number. The fewest number of PoVs since tFoH and the exact same number as was in tSR. Sounds like a tight storyline for the plotlines than going to be advanced without a lot of sideways movement. Color me excited. Foaming at the mouth even.

Jonai
04-21-2009, 11:03 PM
i could have sworn Jordan unequivocally nixed the taimandred idea. said specifically, demandred is NOT taim... no?

He has, he did, it has happened. People are dumb though. Or I should say...hardheaded and not going to let a little thing like reality get in the way of a favorite pet theory? Not that I'm guilty of that...oooh no.

I just want to hear his thoughts personally, so my hatred of him since he appeared in LoC can be completely vindicated.

Eclipse
04-21-2009, 11:28 PM
i've always liked taim, even when it was obvious he was not a good guy. he as a lot of the same coolness factors that sylar has (and i think Heroes is laaaaaame).

love the calmness in the face of mortal danger... for both taim and sylar. taim is in a place where at a whim, the dragon could fireball him. he's practically, openly, aligned himself at odds with the dragon, and shows no sign, while in rand's presence, of being even slightly worried it could all end in a flash. he even knows rand is losing it (as per his own words to rand to not lose it, not yet). his pride, his arrogance, his self control. he's also got that mystery that wolverine used to have... before every hack yahoo with a writer's itch got ahold of him and wrote a billion origin stories. i even STILL think he agreed to let himself be placed in front of rand after being "madeover" to look like demandred (in order to set lews off and mess with the dichotomy that is the dragon; essentially promoting ultimate chaos and mayhem); talk about cojones.

taim rocks, and is one of my personal favorites, good or bad. if he peeters out and bites it the same as be'lal or one of the gars, i'll be sorely disappointed.

Belazamon
04-22-2009, 12:45 AM
we're still hearing about Taimendred and Asmo's killer, so I think you're probably right.

Taimandred? Really?

I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed.

Sarevok
04-22-2009, 02:44 AM
What's all this we keep hearing about the Kin? What's up with them?

Terez
04-22-2009, 03:26 AM
They're important, obviously. They're going to save the day.

Marrow Rahien
04-22-2009, 06:45 AM
What's all this we keep hearing about the Kin? What's up with them?

Though it was said in jest, as I am not a fan of the Kin in the least, I told my audience before several of my panels that they were not allowed to talk about the Kin during my panels.

It took on a life of its own, though not as much as Tamyrlin's Asmodeancon (I claim credit for that name, btw :p ) did. and even Maria, one of the guests, asked me about it at one point (Hrm...well, she either asked me about the Kin or Cadsuane, or both...I forget now to be honest)

DahLliA
04-22-2009, 07:42 AM
welcome Marrow !

Cary Sedai
04-22-2009, 07:05 PM
welcome, Marrow!!

~sprinkles Marrow with fairy dust~

So during one of your panels, you mentioned Perrin and his unshakeable resolve to do the right thing, being important during the last battle. Then somehow we started talking about Min, again...

Anyhow, I agree about Perrin and would have said so and mentioned that the first foreshadowing to back that up appeared when he was contimplating killing Egwene, instead of letting the ravens pick her to death in EotW.

Olivia might be helping to kill Rand, but Perrin will do it if he knows it has to be done to save the world.

~roasts marshmellows, hands them out, perches on Sare's shoulder~

Marrow Rahien
04-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Anyhow, I agree about Perrin and would have said so and mentioned that the first foreshadowing to back that up appeared when he was contimplating killing Egwene, instead of letting the ravens pick her to death in EotW.

Very true, and a good mention to boot! Honestly, despite my love of Norse mythology coloring my view towards Mat, Perrin probably is my favorite of the three boys, despite the long, strange trip he's been on the last few books.

Davian93
04-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Welcome to TL, Jakob Marrow!

I forget we have this board sometimes.