PDA

View Full Version : I'm not new per se, just rarely around :)

Mat is Better
05-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Hey everyone. Surely some of you remember me? I started reading the WOT again but got sidetracked by school and by Brandon Sanderson's novels. They are all quite good but very predictable. In any case I recommend them all. Unfortunately, I lost any insights I had gained while reading, which seemed like a vast quantity at the time. So please forgive my newbish attempts at intelligent conversation.

Spidy
05-01-2009, 09:28 PM
The question is is Mat Better or is Mat Betterer. Anyways, welcome. Lok forward to any and all of you discussions.

Terez
05-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Weren't you one of the Egwene-haters?

Mat is Better
05-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Weren't you one of the Egwene-haters?
Oh yes, indeed. Quite so. I love Nynaeve though. She's probably my second favorite non-Rand character (Mat being the first of course).

Sarevok
05-02-2009, 03:11 AM
Welcome back MiB!!

Yay, at last someone that come back that I actually remember. Should I feel old, now?

Spidy
05-02-2009, 04:34 AM
Welcome back MiB!!

Yay, at last someone that come back that I actually remember. Should I feel old, now?

Well that sounds there could be a sultana in the offering on the basis of that response.

Zaela Sedai
05-02-2009, 02:29 PM
I remember MiB :D He ain't that old Sare ;)

Terez
05-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Welcome back MiB!!

You say that as if he was the first. There was Zan the other day, and pretty sure there have been other returns, like PM not long ago...though he appears to have become reabsorbed by his bong again...

DahLliA
05-03-2009, 07:27 AM
welcome back MiB :D

Brita
05-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Hi MiB, I remember you had a very cool signature animation, didn't you?

Welcome back :)

Terez
05-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Signature animations are never cool...

Nazbaque
05-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Cool is a matter of opinion. I myself am never cool but that's just the downside of being on fire. I'd say that in most cases if terez says something is/isn't cool I'd approach the matter with the opposite in mind, but ready to be proven wrong since even her bad taste is sometimes right.

Anaiya Sedai
05-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Welcome back MiB.

I have to agree with terez on that one, signature animations are more than annoying.. especially when you're trying to read something above or below it and it constantly keeps drawing your eyes to itself.

*Roasts marshmallows, cheese and pineapple*

Brita
05-05-2009, 03:01 PM
To be fair, it may not have been animated- I just remember it was eye catching and got a few compliments.

But yes, animated anything is bad for me here at work. It is hard to pretend I am working with Hobbes dancing on my screen :p

Mat is Better
05-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Oh thanks. It's not my fault I had gaudy sigs and avatars. I was corrupted by those $@!%^@#'s at Dragonmount. :cool:

Terez
05-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot you were hanging out at Dragonmount too.

Nazbaque
05-07-2009, 04:22 AM
What are you roasting all that stuff on, Flaming Haran? I'm not on fire yet.

Oh and welcome back MIB. Sorry I forgot to say that in my last post. Please have the honours.

*Hands MIB the Torch*

Mat is Better
05-14-2009, 03:28 AM
Oh thanks!

*Finds a copy of Twilight
*Burns Book
*Pisses on ashes
*Regrets that he can't burn all copies of Twilight
*Torches self

Terez
05-14-2009, 04:48 AM
You trying to say Twilight is bad, MiB? I mean, come on...obviously since it's such a huge success, it's good stuff, right? ;) Oh, and where are your books?

Anaiya Sedai
05-14-2009, 05:21 AM
*takes torch from MiB and sets naz on fire*

now can I roast stuff? :p

Mat is Better
05-14-2009, 07:43 AM
You trying to say Twilight is bad, MiB? I mean, come on...obviously since it's such a huge success, it's good stuff, right? ;) Oh, and where are your books?
I'm not going to argue this point. I was expecting you to make it sooner or later. The problem is that most of my hate for Twilight is staged because I really don't give a damn about it ;) It's more about me trying to piss off women everywhere. Which is, after all, what I excel at. Think about it. I haven't even read it.

But then...and perhaps most importantly, I'm not claiming that I can do better.

Nazbaque
05-14-2009, 08:28 AM
*takes torch from MiB and sets naz on fire*

now can I roast stuff? :p
I didn't say you couldn't roast stuff. I asked what you were roasting them on. Now you can of course do it on me. What were doing it on before that, is what I want to know.

Brita
05-14-2009, 08:51 AM
I'm not going to argue this point. I was expecting you to make it sooner or later. The problem is that most of my hate for Twilight is staged because I really don't give a damn about it ;) It's more about me trying to piss off women everywhere. Which is, after all, what I excel at. Think about it. I haven't even read it.

But then...and perhaps most importantly, I'm not claiming that I can do better.

Just a head's up- Terez was being sarcastic :D

Mat is Better
05-14-2009, 08:55 AM
Just a head's up- Terez was being sarcastic :D

I know. I never take anything too seriously.

Brita
05-14-2009, 11:56 AM
I know. I never take anything too seriously.

lol- OK :D

Yellowbeard
05-14-2009, 04:33 PM
***rolls in the keg***
***hands out disposable plastic cups***
***picks up keg and puts it in tub of ice single handedly in a disply of supreme manliness***

okay...who's gonna help me do a keg stand now? MiB - your turn next!!

Brita
05-14-2009, 04:40 PM
yb!!

~~takes proffered plastic cup~~
~~commences a toast to yb's supreme e-manliness~~

Ozymandias
06-02-2009, 10:09 PM
I have to agree with terez on that one, signature animations are more than annoying.. especially when you're trying to read something above or below it and it constantly keeps drawing your eyes to itself.

Wouldn't that be more a product of your short attention span, rather than an inherent deficiency in the animation itself?

GonzoTheGreat
06-03-2009, 02:30 AM
Not necessarily. Some humans just simply have an instinct for paying attention to their surroundings. Stationary things are no danger, as they are (obviously) not changing from harmless to harmful. But movement is a potential source of danger, and should thus impinge on your awareness. Once you have determined that this time it isn't a threat you can go back to what you were doing. And then it moves again ...

Anaiya Sedai
06-03-2009, 03:36 AM
Not necessarily. Some humans just simply have an instinct for paying attention to their surroundings. Stationary things are no danger, as they are (obviously) not changing from harmless to harmful. But movement is a potential source of danger, and should thus impinge on your awareness. Once you have determined that this time it isn't a threat you can go back to what you were doing. And then it moves again ...

pretty much.
It's even worse when they are so oversized that if you have to of them on your screen at the same time, you can't even hide them at the top or bottom of the screen. :mad:

Terez
06-03-2009, 03:40 AM
I just joined a forum that has lots of animated sig images, so I just turned sigs off. I don't even like them when they're not animated - I'm not of the eye candy generation...

Mat is Better
11-16-2009, 11:39 PM
I'm back again. Just finished The Gathering Storm last weekend. It was freaking amazing! Not because of the new author, or in spite of him, but because it was full of things I've been waiting for forever!!! Amazing...sigh...just a couple more years.

Sarevok
11-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Welcome back, MiB :D

Gilshalos Sedai
11-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Welcome back, MiB!

And no, I don't care if you burn Twilight. And yes, I can do better. :)

Brita
11-17-2009, 09:32 AM
Welcome back.....again.

So, what did you think of the Mat chapters in TGS? There has been quite a bit of discussion over "the feel" of the Mat sections.

Birgitte
11-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Welcome back, MiB!

Mat is Better
11-17-2009, 01:20 PM
Welcome back.....again.

So, what did you think of the Mat chapters in TGS? There has been quite a bit of discussion over "the feel" of the Mat sections.
They didn't seem quite like Mat to me. I liked them nonetheless. The framework for me to enjoy Mat's character has already been laid. Like I said, something seemed off but I can't put my finger on it. It seemed...like he was trying to hard to be clever or something.

Brita
11-17-2009, 01:36 PM
They didn't seem quite like Mat to me. I liked them nonetheless. The framework for me to enjoy Mat's character has already been laid. Like I said, something seemed off but I can't put my finger on it. It seemed...like he was trying to hard to be clever or something.

Ya, that's the general consensus. Some attribute the change to his grappling with being married (and in love too, imagine!).

Matoyak
11-17-2009, 07:37 PM
Ya, that's the general consensus. Some attribute the change to his grappling with being married (and in love too, imagine!).Apparently Jordan left Sanderson notes about Mat changing due to being a husband and in love. Apparently he emphasized it quite a bit, saying "Mat refuses to become husbandly" quite often.

Kurtz
11-17-2009, 08:22 PM
How anyone can still admire Mat is beyond me. My dossier on the three 'heroes' is growing by the day.

Mat is Better
11-17-2009, 08:33 PM
How anyone can still admire Mat is beyond me. My dossier on the three 'heroes' is growing by the day.
Clearly you are a darkfriend.

Kurtz
11-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Clearly you are a darkfriend.

Typical 'wet-your-pants' reaction from those who fear what might be unveiled.