PDA

View Full Version : IE 8 doesn't like quick reply

Sarevok
05-13-2009, 12:44 PM
I just installed IE 8. Now, when I hit a quick reply button, instead of going to the quick reply area, it loads the full reply page... Is there a way to solve that? :s

JSUCamel
05-13-2009, 01:13 PM
IE8 is an extremely new browser, and it's unlikely that vBulletin supports IE8's capabilities just yet.

vBulletin was designed to degrade gracefully -- if something doesn't work, it falls back on something that does work.

So the short answer is no, there's nothing to be done until vBulletin updates to fix it. Sorry.

Sarevok
05-13-2009, 01:15 PM
IE8 is an extremely new browser, and it's unlikely that vBulletin supports IE8's capabilities just yet.

vBulletin was designed to degrade gracefully -- if something doesn't work, it falls back on something that does work.

So the short answer is no, there's nothing to be done until vBulletin updates to fix it. Sorry.
I just relised, it doesn't only go to the full replly page... it also quotes the message you're replying to...

Weird Harold
05-13-2009, 01:27 PM
I just installed IE 8. Now, when I hit a quick reply button, instead of going to the quick reply area, it loads the full reply page... Is there a way to solve that? :s
Quickreply is a javascript function (j a v a s c r i p t if the censor list is default) and you may need to enable that in IE8. JS is not the same thing as Java Virtual Machine, BTW, so make sure you've got scripting enabled instead of (or as well as) the Virtual Machine add-on.

Sarevok
05-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Quickreply is a javascript function (j a v a s c r i p t if the censor list is default) and you may need to enable that in IE8. JS is not the same thing as Java Virtual Machine, BTW, so make sure you've got scripting enabled instead of (or as well as) the Virtual Machine add-on.
I think it is enabled, but how do I check that?

JSUCamel
05-13-2009, 01:55 PM
It should be enabled by default.

Google Chrome does the same thing, so don't feel too bad about it.

Mat is Better
05-13-2009, 01:56 PM
- Click tools > Internet Options

- go to the security tab

- select custom level

- scroll to "scripting" section

- enable/disable active scripting

Or just use Firefox. I haven't consistently used IE in years. Although I do have to use it to test websites and stuff that I do for school since it still has the biggest share of the market.

Mat is Better
05-13-2009, 01:59 PM
Stupid IE. Just tested it. Doesn't work in mine either.

JSUCamel
05-13-2009, 02:54 PM
Different browsers utilize the DOM (Document Object Model) in different ways, and they process AJAX (a form of Javascript) in different ways. For instance, IE accepts element.innerText but not element.innerHTML, whereas Firefox accepts both commands, to grab the text inside an element.

Another example is how IE establishes an XHR interface versus Firefox.

This is why there are such things as Javascript frameworks like jQuery and mooTools. They take care of all of the differences.

It's not as simple as saying "Well, your Javascript must be turned off" because your Javascript may be turned on, but the code may not be written in a way that IE can understand it.

I haven't seen the code, so I'm really just conjecturing here, but since it doesn't work (apparently) in anything but Firefox (and maybe IE7?) then this is certainly a viable possibility.

At any rate, I don't believe Tam has the ability (or desire) to mess with that particular piece of code at the moment.

Anaiya Sedai
05-13-2009, 03:04 PM
why would you wanna use IE? :p

GonzoTheGreat
05-13-2009, 04:18 PM
I haven't seen the code, so I'm really just conjecturing here, but since it doesn't work (apparently) in anything but Firefox (and maybe IE7?) then this is certainly a viable possibility.It also works well in Opera.

Of course, assuming that Microsoft has abandoned yet another set of standards in order to embrace a new, 'better' set is a fairly safe bet.

Sarevok
05-13-2009, 04:44 PM
I haven't seen the code, so I'm really just conjecturing here, but since it doesn't work (apparently) in anything but Firefox (and maybe IE7?) then this is certainly a viable possibility.
It was fine in IE 6 and 7

JSUCamel
05-13-2009, 04:56 PM
Still probably a viable possibility. IIRC, Firefox 3 and Chrome have a new Javascript core. It's reasonable to think IE8 does, as well.

Regardless, it looks like you're stuck using the regular reply button like the rest of us. I never use quick reply anyway, so I wouldn't have noticed.

Matoyak
05-13-2009, 07:02 PM
The quick reply in vBulletin annoys me...always has. My Firefox had issues with it until recently. Not sure what I did to fix it though.