PDA

View Full Version : Redesign Central - For Now

Tamyrlin
05-13-2009, 02:40 PM
I will be updating the site in the next day or so, with tweaks to the homepage. As you will see, I hope to involve anyone and everyone that would like to comment, suggest, belittle, the redesign as it progresses live page to page. This should be interesting.

Brita
05-13-2009, 03:06 PM
~~pops some Ativan~~

Go easy Tam, I'm not good with change :(

Davian93
05-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Raisings?

The proletariat is getting restless...

Anaiya Sedai
05-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Raisings?

would be nice some time.. :rolleyes:

Davian93
05-13-2009, 04:20 PM

See what I mean?

GonzoTheGreat
05-13-2009, 04:24 PM
I vigorously deny all rumors of raisings.

ShadowbaneX
05-13-2009, 05:36 PM
I was a youngling for two years.

Brita
05-13-2009, 06:04 PM
Raisings?

~~Murmurs angrily~~
~~sharpens pitchfork~~
~~lights torch~~

Davian93
05-13-2009, 06:38 PM
I was a youngling for two years.

I was never a Youngling...I went from no rank loser (Yks, Zae, remember that?) to Elder in 4 months here and 9 months total (I used to actually post extensively on the main site when I had a good knowledge of the books.

hippie-joe
05-13-2009, 10:30 PM
it's funny i started on here cause i wanted to know about what the finns told mat, and also about prophecies. i then got side tracked and still haven't gotten around to looking it up... i even know of more reference sites than i did then too.

i was also reading book eight PoD, again, at night after work till i went to bed. when i got on here that all stopped and i haven't picked up the book except to move it from bed to floor then back to bed hopping i'll read some, then back to floor. lol. i spend my evenings on here looking to see what ppl said to my posts, now...

pitiful, one of these days i won't get on here and ya'll won't see me for a week or so and you'll know i decided to pick up the book and read again. :rolleyes:

Ozymandias
05-14-2009, 12:05 AM
I was never a Youngling...I went from no rank loser (Yks, Zae, remember that?) to Elder in 4 months here and 9 months total (I used to actually post extensively on the main site when I had a good knowledge of the books.

ON that note... I'll forego a raising in return for some extra time spent on the main page.

As much as I love the boards... I came here for the theories, and while I love you guys and gals, I'd love to see the main page gain new life.

Ivhon
05-27-2009, 08:00 AM
Main Page? Theories?

I'm totally lost, here....

Frenzy
06-30-2009, 01:33 AM
It looks more professional. i'm interested to see how each section will appear when you click on it's link

and is that Chani in the background with her whip? ;)

irerancincpkc
06-30-2009, 08:54 AM
Wow, I really like it. Great job. :D

JSUCamel
06-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Suggestions:

- 5 Most Recent (whatever) Theories (main page)
- Ratings
- Rotating theories

Jonai
07-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Wow rape my balls that was awesome. I come back after a few months absence and the main page makes me think either the site is broken or I've typed in the wrong URL. Nice work.

Ishara
07-01-2009, 11:48 PM
Tam - I am LOVING it. Looks fabulous! Who's going to be blogging? ;)

Gilshalos Sedai
07-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Looks great, Tam! Yeah, who's blogging? Or do you want us to start submitting? And I think you should have rules/guidelines that would differentiate the difference between a blog and a theory. Wouldn't want the n00bs to be confused.

Zaela Sedai
07-06-2009, 07:08 PM
it does look great :) I think we need more than one reply on the theories though

Mort
07-21-2009, 05:08 PM
it does look great :) I think we need more than one reply on the theories though
Right under the "Last reply", you have a "view all 6 entries", so the functionality is there. The link takes you to the old theory page though.

The graphics looks great and I know the site is far from finished but I wanted to put in my two cents anyway:

I think that it's a little too much text on there. Either less text by using Jquery tricks and/or links, or make it more visible that the left news section has more devided parts so you differentiate the different news bits. Maybe something similar with the main section where the latest theory is posted, JQuery those so just the first paragraph of the theory shows at first, then you can put in more "latest theories" too, instead of one theory per page.

The orange links in the news section looks like dividers at the moment, which they aren't, they are part of the preceding news bit, the problem lies in the links being a darker color than the headlines, maybe invert those so the headline is darker than the link? Has to work with the rest of the site though. It's not a huge problem, it just throws me off a little. The links pop out more than the headlines.

Dunno what plans you have for blogging, if it's general blogging by the users or what it's use is going to be. Usually people want to discuss something or put and idea forward, and that's usually what the messageboard is for, sometimes grounded in the theory section from a newly posted theory. If the idea is to post WoT thoughts on there, what would the difference be from doing the same thing on the messageboard (or the theory section for that matter)? It would most likely just confuse people because now there are two places where to post ideas and reply with comments.

One last thing, I think the main section where the theory is posted is too wide at the moment. I'm at the moment watching it on a widescreen monitor so that might screw up my perception of it, but I think it might have to be taken in a bit from the right, or make the news section wider.

Anyway, great work Tam!

P.S. If there is anything that anyone of us can help out with, I know at least I'm up for the task :)

Terez
07-29-2009, 06:46 PM
I love it! Yay for the full screen forum! The banner is really nice, too. ;)

Zanguini
07-29-2009, 07:37 PM
except its slightly larger than full screen size here

Terez
07-29-2009, 07:38 PM
Very slightly. I wouldn't have noticed the slide bar if you hadn't pointed it out.

Weird Harold
07-29-2009, 07:56 PM
I love it! Yay for the full screen forum! The banner is really nice, too. ;)
No, boo for the full screen forum pages because they're not dynamic and don't shrink to fit the screen resolution or partial windows.

At 800x600 resolution, nearly a third of the message width is off-screen.

Also, having the text run the fullwidth of the screen makes it hard to read even with the resolution changed to match the new forum width (which screws up everything else on my computer) it's like reading a book without margins or a newspaper without columns.

Matoyak
07-29-2009, 11:37 PM
Also, having the text run the fullwidth of the screen makes it hard to read even with the resolution changed to match the new forum width (which screws up everything else on my computer) it's like reading a book without margins or a newspaper without columns. While that bothers me a bit, what bothers me more is the off-centerness. :confused: Which I gues I could get used to eventually....(However the bigger issue that either to me is the edit function not working without being in "Advanced" mode...)

Terez
07-29-2009, 11:56 PM
Well, the off-center thing came after the full screen, which isn't there any more? I don't know. I like high resolution. If the text is too small you can always adjust it through the browser.

Mort
07-30-2009, 12:17 AM
WH, why 800x600 res? Unless you have a screen and comp from -92, you should be able to crank that baby up.

Weird Harold
07-30-2009, 12:27 AM
While that bothers me a bit, what bothers me more is the off-centerness. :confused: Which I gues I could get used to eventually....(However the bigger issue that either to me is the edit function not working without being in "Advanced" mode...)
The white on black version that's up right now with the TL news down the left side of the frame is better.

I'd swap the forum and the news stripe -- because scrolling to the side to see the forum instead of the same old news is a pain.

I'm NOT fond of the White on Black; it's like reading x-rays. I'm also long past the "Goth" stage of my life where everything had to be black.

If you're going to tamper with the color scheme, please give us the option of different skins so we can avoid the ones that nauseate us.

PS: Quick Edit works for me as long as I can avoid stuttering when I click edit.

Tamyrlin
07-30-2009, 12:39 AM
I promise - one that has black text with a light background. Additionally, I plan on making the news box something you can minimize to the side and it will be cookied, so it doesn't take up that real estate.

Terez
07-30-2009, 12:47 AM
Yay for cookied minimization! I use the hell out of it at forums that have huge sub-sections that I don't check at all.

Matoyak
07-30-2009, 01:33 AM
Whoa, 800 x 600? People actually use that? (Hell, my laptop doesn't even have that as an option...)

And the quick edit works...up until I try to "Save" it. I click save and nothing happens...ever.

Yay for minimizing the news stuff. Yay for multiple themes!

Weird Harold
07-30-2009, 11:12 AM
Whoa, 800 x 600? People actually use that? (Hell, my laptop doesn't even have that as an option...)

And the quick edit works...up until I try to "Save" it. I click save and nothing happens...ever.

Yay for minimizing the news stuff. Yay for multiple themes!
I suspect your laptop isn't eleven years old. :p Us Olde Phartes with our Olde Computers and bad eyes still use 800x600 with large icons turned on to prevent eye strain.

ShadowbaneX
07-30-2009, 12:24 PM
heh, I use 1280x1024 with small icons...and the only reason I do that is because my monitor won't go up to 1600x1200 :)

Weird Harold
07-30-2009, 12:59 PM
heh, I use 1280x1024 with small icons...and the only reason I do that is because my monitor won't go up to 1600x1200 :)
You probably have a flat-screen high res monitor, too -- at least compared to my cheap .28 pitch CRT.

If Tam wants to make Theoryland accessible to only the technophiles with the newest systems with all the bells and whistles, that's his perogative. I'm just pointing out that there are people out there that are not on the cutting edge of technology (or some, like me, who aren't even on the sharp side of the blade.)

Other sites, like google docs, have decided that supporting "legacy" systems isn't necessary, and others, like BBC News, still support text-only users.

JSUCamel
07-30-2009, 01:14 PM
You probably have a flat-screen high res monitor, too -- at least compared to my cheap .28 pitch CRT.

If Tam wants to make Theoryland accessible to only the technophiles with the newest systems with all the bells and whistles, that's his perogative. I'm just pointing out that there are people out there that are not on the cutting edge of technology (or some, like me, who aren't even on the sharp side of the blade.)

Other sites, like google docs, have decided that supporting "legacy" systems isn't necessary, and others, like BBC News, still support text-only users.

You don't have to be cutting edge. Even the cheapest monitors on the market today offer higher resolutions than 800 x 600.

It's time to move out of the dark age, WH.

JSUCamel
07-30-2009, 01:21 PM
Also, I don't have access to the statistics, but I believe the vast majority of users these days are using 1024x768 resolution. It's not so much a matter of Tam deciding to support the latest, cutting-edge technology, but it's a matter of taking a look at the statistical data of monitor sizes.

If 75% of users at TL use 1024x768, 20% use 1400x900, and 5% use 800x600, the question comes down to how much time and effort is Tam willing to spend to make sure that 5% (a very small percentage) sees it exactly as everyone else does? This is a very complex design, and it's not simple at all to reconfigure for a variety of resolutions.

There's a point where bending over backwards for older technology (such as IE6 and 800x600 resolutions) becomes unfeasible. There's a point of diminishing returns. Is it worth it? That's up to Tam. But it's not because he doesn't want you to have a good experience.

Sometimes, you have to meet us web developers halfway by updating to new technology. Sites like Google and BBC are very very unfair sites to compare TL to. They both have budgets that afford to take the time and spend the money to redesign to fit 5% of the user base. And 5% of the Google and BBC userbase is much, much, much higher (in the thousands, if not millions) than TL's (in the tens, maybe).

Weird Harold
07-30-2009, 02:04 PM
You don't have to be cutting edge. Even the cheapest monitors on the market today offer higher resolutions than 800 x 600.

It's time to move out of the dark age, WH.

I happen to LIKE 800x600 and would probably still use it with a new system (my system is capable of 1280x1024 and my new 42" 720p HD TV can be used as a monitor.)

I had to make a choice between replacing a failing television or buying a new computer. The computer still works, so the TV won that budget argument.

If you can convince congress to raise the annual retired pay COLA commensurate with the actual cost of living increases, I wouldn't have to make those kind of budgetary choices. :D Until then, I have to balance the needs of the pantry with the "need" for a new computer within my fixed income. The only thing wrong with my computer is that software providers don't support it any more.

Like I said, Tam can choose to quit supporting low-res systems or even add tons of superfluos graphics and animations to annoy dial-up users. I just don't want him to do without knowing he's making theoryland inaccessible or annoying the dinosaurs.

My absence (and from what I gather, the absence of others) from the forums during the YUKKY era is an example of what ignoring legacy systems results in -- Yuku not only didn't work for me, it actually crashed my system when I tried to do anything other than lurk.

JSUCamel
07-30-2009, 02:10 PM
Why do you prefer 800x600 as opposed to 1024x760 or 1280x1024?

Weird Harold
07-30-2009, 02:45 PM
Why do you prefer 800x600 as opposed to 1024x760 or 1280x1024?

I'm legally blind without my glasses -- atleast according to Florida's DMV rules, circa 1976.

I can increase text and size in the higher resolutions but most sites either ignore the browsers text size setting or are distorted by larger text size into unreadability.

Normal text in the forums are six pixels by nine pixels -- that's 1% of my vertical screen resolution, but only 0.8% of the resolution of theoryland pages are designed to fit; a twenty percent reduction in text size.

FWIW, This particular layout does adapt to browser text size as far as I can tell. If other sites were as accomodating, I might go to a higher resolution. Until then...

ShadowbaneX
07-31-2009, 12:57 AM
completely understandable WH. My mom is similar in that she insists on a smaller resolution (1024*768), but it's just what people are comfortable with. My personally I'm rather comfortable with my 1280*1024*2 (I use two monitors) and if I could support it I'd even go up to 3 monitors (I never seem to have enough desktop space).

For the record though my system is 4+ years old although parts have been upgraded. My monitor is a 17" crt, although I find that those actually give better colour then some newer flat-screens, especially for gaming.

GonzoTheGreat
07-31-2009, 04:12 AM
Some day, perhaps even in the foreseeable future, it will become possible to make such things as the size of web pages user adjustable.
But that day is not quite here, yet.

Weird Harold
07-31-2009, 01:32 PM
Some day, perhaps even in the foreseeable future, it will become possible to make such things as the size of web pages user adjustable.
But that day is not quite here, yet.
Oh yes it is.

My other-home-on-the-web uses vBulletin also and most of the skins they offer are dynamic and adjust to the size of the browser's resolution. Since the forum goes full screen when the sidebar is closed, the problem here seems to be that the frame isn't dynamic and the forums expand to fit the frame's size.

Matoyak
07-31-2009, 01:48 PM
Well, keep in mind everyone, that this is a case of the designer not shutting down everything while working on it, so we're seeing works in progress. (I guess it's better complaints get lodged now rather than if it was done the other way, though...this way it can be changed in the next "update"...)

I still like this theme, though, even if it does need work on the edit, drop-down menus, and the anti-aliasing...Nice and soothing. But I am curious to see what Tam does for the other themes he's planning... ~waits with enthusiasm~

Mort
07-31-2009, 04:24 PM
I'd like a lollipop theme please!
The forum should also be renamed Candycane Lane in that theme. Pretty plz? With candy on top?

Tamyrlin
07-31-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm using a min-width for now on the site, which is set at 970px. Once I have time to modify the interaction between both sides of the top navigation bars, to the point that I'm happy with it, I will remove that restriction.

Weird Harold
07-31-2009, 06:30 PM
I'd like a lollipop theme please!
The forum should also be renamed Candycane Lane in that theme. Pretty plz? With candy on top?
If your lollipop theme is anything like the candy cane/christmas scene that some vBulletin boards use over the holidays, I'll pass.

The candycane theme is bright red and glaring white with occassional accents of an almost neon green. Some people claim to have lost there lunches before the first page finished loading. :D

Mort
07-31-2009, 07:02 PM
If your lollipop theme is anything like the candy cane/christmas scene that some vBulletin boards use over the holidays, I'll pass.

The candycane theme is bright red and glaring white with occassional accents of an almost neon green. Some people claim to have lost there lunches before the first page finished loading. :D

Well it's fun for a while, like on holidays, april fools day and such.

I know a sitecommunity about linux/unix once swapped over to a my little pony theme at one april fools day. With coverstory and everything. The owner had developed a desktop theme for some linux distro (or some such) dedicated to ponies and wanted to celebrate it on the site. Awesome :)

Weird Harold
07-31-2009, 09:02 PM
Well it's fun for a while, like on holidays, april fools day and such.

I know a sitecommunity about linux/unix once swapped over to a my little pony theme at one april fools day. With coverstory and everything. The owner had developed a desktop theme for some linux distro (or some such) dedicated to ponies and wanted to celebrate it on the site. Awesome :)
There's fun, and then there's physically painful color schemes. :D

But there is also no accounting for taste, I know one person who uses (or claims to use) the Christmas color scheme year round. :eek: