PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: The Old Republic

DahLliA
06-08-2009, 07:22 PM
http://swtor.com/

anyone else looking forward to this?

for anyone who don't know what it is, it's a new MMORPG set in the Star Wars universe. it's being made by Bioware(the same guys who made Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2) so there is actually a good chance it'll turn out good if they manage the jump from single player RPG to MMO.

although it's still a good while before release, what has been shown so far looks very good. I'm trying to keep my hopes as low as possible though after Age of Conan being such a disappointment.

but it's hard to keep the SW fanboi in me down after seeing this new trailer: http://swtor.com/media/trailers/deceived-cinematic-trailer

ShadowbaneX
06-08-2009, 07:36 PM
I'd be looking towards it more if it weren't an MMO. Other then that it looks awesome.

JSUCamel
06-08-2009, 09:15 PM
I'd be looking towards it more if it weren't an MMO. Other then that it looks awesome.

Ditto. Not an MMO fan and, quite frankly, i wish there were fewer of those and more single-player or Battle.net style multi-player games.

DahLliA
06-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Ditto. Not an MMO fan and, quite frankly, i wish there were fewer of those and more single-player or Battle.net style multi-player games.

I'm a big MMO fan. as long as it's a good one. makes the game world seem more alive and real and there is so many options you wont ever have in a single-player game.

Frenzy
06-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Mr. Frenzy plays the current Star Wars MMO, and many of those players aren't looking forward to the new one. Too cartoon-y is one complaint. SOE abandoning the current game being another.

Sarevok
06-09-2009, 02:49 AM
I'm actually looking more forward to Star Trek Online (http://www.startrekonline.com). :D:D

And Frenzy, as for the current Star Wars MMO, I heard a lot of players left since the game was changed radically 1 or 2 years back?

DahLliA
06-09-2009, 08:57 AM
Mr. Frenzy plays the current Star Wars MMO, and many of those players aren't looking forward to the new one. Too cartoon-y is one complaint. SOE abandoning the current game being another.

99% of what I've read about the old SW MMO was how good it was before the huge changes they did suddenly a few years back, and how bad it turned out after these. never tried it myself though because of the forementioned amount of negative comments and the fact that they lost a very big part of their playerbase from said changes.

and from what I've read Lucasarts at least plan to continue to support SW galaxies. depending on how popular the new one gets this might change though.

one thing that makes me look forward to SW:TOR though is that Bioware plans to have a much more storydriven gameplay. they are gonna move past the "collect 10 rat tails and kill 20 boars"-quests and rather have heroic quests that make sense for your character to do.

EDIT: and Star Wars is clearly > Star Trek

*hides from trekkies*

Gilshalos Sedai
06-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Well... my only problem with it being an MMO is the monthly fee that will inevitably follow. There's a reason we only play Guild Wars.

Other than that, it looks awesome. But it doesn't seem to tie into the plot line left by KOTOR 1 & 2.

Sarevok
06-09-2009, 09:57 AM
EDIT: and Star Wars is clearly > Star Trek

*hides from trekkies*
*sets naz on fire*

Zanguini
06-09-2009, 12:08 PM
star wars one was good untill they changed it dramatically and made everyone jedi then it just sucked

Rune420
06-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Other than that, it looks awesome. But it doesn't seem to tie into the plot line left by KOTOR 1 & 2.

I Think that it's a prequel. Not 100% though.

I'm really looking forward to this too, this and SC2/Diablo 3.

RogueSavior
06-09-2009, 07:33 PM
StarCraft 2 makes me so happy I can't even think straight. I can not wait any more, I purposely avoid looking it up. It takes effort.

Damn you, Rune! Now I won't get anything done!

Zanguini
06-09-2009, 08:07 PM
I am more looking forward to star trek online ... i bought the sims 3 for fairy

DahLliA
06-09-2009, 09:30 PM
I Think that it's a prequel. Not 100% though.

I'm really looking forward to this too, this and SC2/Diablo 3.

nah. it's set 300 years after KOTOR2. and they said that they might give some more info on what happened after KOTOR2 in TOR, but that it wouldn't be any major part of the gameplay experience. they also said you might end up meeting some of the KOTOR characters able to live for more than 300 years.

and SC2 looks awesome too :D

Rune420
06-10-2009, 01:01 AM
AK-47????

Jonai
06-10-2009, 03:18 AM
Sounds like it might be a good game. Unfortunately my soul is already subjugated by Final Fantasy XI and XIII and XIV next year.

Now if the new wot videogame is an MMO..naw that would be horrible unless they nerfed channelers.

Sarevok
06-10-2009, 03:19 AM
I am more looking forward to star trek online ...
Yay!!! I'm not the only one!! :D

Hopper
06-10-2009, 07:12 AM
I am an EVE junkie.

As for Star Wars Galaxies, that's where I met Dapple so there will always be a soft spot in me for that, but they fracked that game up something fierce. Once holocrons hit the game showing everyone how to become a Jedi the game started going down hill fast. The Combat Upgrade and the New Game Experience put the final nails in the coffin of that game for me. The game is supposed to be set in the middle of the war between the Alliance and the Empire and yet you can't walk 10 meters without finding a couple of idjits swinging light sabers at each other.

Gilshalos Sedai
06-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Wait. It's set between Empire and Jedi and they made it EASIER to become a Jedi??? Without the Empire hunting your ass down?

Ivhon
06-10-2009, 09:41 AM
I still play SWG from time to time (do NOT have a jedi...by choice). Once you forget what it was like before CU and NGE, its not that bad. Still has one of the best player housing systems out there.

Hopper
06-10-2009, 10:07 AM
My avatar was an Entertainer/Musician and what they did to the Entertainer professions was nothing short of criminal.

DahLliA
06-10-2009, 02:11 PM
AK-47????

it's HK, but yeah. that's one rumor :p

Sounds like it might be a good game. Unfortunately my soul is already subjugated by Final Fantasy XI and XIII and XIV next year.

XIV? O_o

Gilshalos Sedai
06-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Any of the droids would be alive. The only other candidates are the two Wookies. Though you had the chance to kill one of them. Unless Twileks live an ungodly long time?