PDA

View Full Version : halp!

Anaiya Sedai
06-10-2009, 05:21 PM
I'm pretty much screwed.
I've just realised that the paper I was working on for music psychology is complete and utter BS. So I deleted it.
I need to find a new topic within the area of music psychology (doesn't matter what it is), and some quick and easy information, then write 5k words about it until friday night - midnight GMT.

I want to cry :(

I forgot to mention: it can be some sort of experiment, too. so I'm guessing that if I find something quickly.. would you guys be prepared to help?

Crispin's Crispian
06-10-2009, 05:24 PM
I'm pretty much screwed.
I've just realised that the paper I was working on for music psychology is complete and utter BS. So I deleted it.
I need to find a new topic within the area of music psychology (doesn't matter what it is), and some quick and easy information, then write 5k words about it until friday night - midnight GMT.

I want to cry :(
I've always wondered why whiny emo music is so popular. Can you examine the effect of Gen X/Gen Y on popular music in the last 15 years? Maybe that's not specific enough.

How about the effect of minor chords, plodding rhythm, and overwrought emotional lyrics on the psyche?

Terez
06-10-2009, 05:39 PM
How about the effect of minor chords, plodding rhythm, and overwrought emotional lyrics on the psyche? That's sort of an overworked topic.

If it can be an experiment, then make a bunch of people listen to Schönberg and ask them how it makes them feel. :D I'm sure that will give you plenty of stuff to write about...that one's overworked as well, but at least you'll probably get some interesting answers....

Ozymandias
06-10-2009, 05:41 PM
That's sort of an overworked topic.

If it can be an experiment, then make a bunch of people listen to Schönberg and ask them how it makes them feel. :D I'm sure that will give you plenty of stuff to write about...that one's overworked as well, but at least you'll probably get some interesting answers....

Does it have to be original research? I felt like I was just reading an article on CNN earlier this week about how music may help people with Alzheimers or something

Anaiya Sedai
06-10-2009, 05:44 PM
it doesn't. we can copy any previously done experiment or make up our own, or just write about an area of music psychology that we find interesting. I wanted to write about language development, but worked myself into a stupid corner and got stuck with all sorts of texts I didn't understand now have the patience to try and work out.. :(

Anaiya Sedai
06-10-2009, 05:46 PM
really, right now I don't care about interesting anymore, as long as I can manage to write enough in the next 48 hours and 14 minutes..

Anaiya Sedai
06-10-2009, 05:48 PM
ok, picking something at random, I'll go for music and pain reduction.

anyone got anything clever to say or fancy breaking a few bones then listening to music for me?

RogueSavior
06-10-2009, 05:50 PM
I've got loads of Clever, but nothing helpful to your cause.

Sorry.

DahLliA
06-10-2009, 05:57 PM

anyone got anything clever to say or fancy breaking a few bones then listening to music for me?

all I got is that music usually helps me survive my hangovers :p

good luck though :)

Anaiya Sedai
06-10-2009, 05:58 PM
I think I'm going to go to sleep. meh. this is depressing.

RogueSavior
06-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Oooh.... Oooh.... Listen to some Music. While sleeping. And panicking. See what helps you focus! It could be your own one-woman experiment.

See? Clever.

ShadowbaneX
06-10-2009, 08:43 PM
the only thing that's coming to my mind when you mention music and psychology is that screen from A Clockwork Orange with the dental tools.

Sinistrum
06-10-2009, 11:10 PM
Well from my own anecdotal experience music is a must whenever I lift weights. It helps me focus on the exercise itself and push through the protestations of my muscles while doing them. The more aggressive the music the better it is for that. I guess the discomfort experienced during a work out could be considered pain and as such in my case music helps me deal with it and ignore it. Don't know if that helps or not.

hippie-joe
06-10-2009, 11:48 PM
you know how they say motzart helps the growing brain function of the growing fetus...

my sister used to play motzart on her head phones and put it on the bump playing it for my niece, kaelym, and she is pretty smart for a 28 month old.

your prego now right? so that may be something you might find interesting.

i have nothing but the idea, but hey if there's a will, there's a way. good luck, hope this helps:o

Jonai
06-11-2009, 01:14 AM
Why does every rose have its thorn?

Terez
06-11-2009, 04:39 AM
you know how they say motzart helps the growing brain function of the growing fetus...
I think that theory has been shown to be very shaky - even the theories that listening to Mozart (only one t, dear) as an adult makes you "smarter" have little real evidence behind them.

I think listening to Bach makes me smarter, though... listening to Mozart seems to kill brain cells...

Anaiya Sedai
06-11-2009, 05:01 AM
I think that theory has been shown to be very shaky - even the theories that listening to Mozart (only one t, dear) as an adult makes you "smarter" have little real evidence behind them.

I think listening to Bach makes me smarter, though... listening to Mozart seems to kill brain cells...

I can only agree with that. lol.
After preparing barely anything but Mozart for several months, I am now thoroughly fed up, and my brain has gone on strike during the final stretch. I may ask my midwife for a note to exempt me from tomorrow nights final concert (it's not like I've learned my parts anyway!), so I can write a little more. Or start writing, for that matter.
why, oh why did I have to choose a module that involved so much writing?!? :confused: :( :confused: :( :confused:

Terez
06-11-2009, 05:02 AM
Why, oh why did I have to go on vacation to a city that worships Mozart? :( I should have gone to Paris or Leipzig instead...

Anaiya Sedai
06-11-2009, 05:04 AM
Why, oh why did I have to go on vacation to a city that worships Mozart? :( I should have gone to Paris or Leipzig instead...

lol. Vienna is still a nice place! not my choice of a vacation spot, but I guess I grew up to close to it.

I've got an extention until monday now, as long as I turn up for the concert. yay. not that that helps much, I'm moving house on monday, and will probably be ferrying stuff around all weekend. No way does my laptop have enough battery life to last the 3 hour drive each way.. but I have a little more room to breathe.

Terez
06-11-2009, 05:15 AM
Yay for postponed deadlines, lol. :D

And yes, Vienna is quite nice - it's a very clean, calm city, and I've really enjoyed it. But the music aspect of it...Vienna was hot in the late 18th, pre-Chopin early 19th, and that's just not my bag. I could live without Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven, and I could definitely live without the so-called Second Viennese School. I like Schubert (the Lieder, anyway), but the poor guy is still hanging out in the shadow of Beethoven...

Ishara
06-11-2009, 08:05 AM
Anaiya, do you have to scrap what you started? Can you not just go back to where you painted yourself into that corner and go a different route? I hate to think of all the wasted research!

Yellowbeard
06-11-2009, 08:40 AM
you could write a paper examining the psyche of barnicle bill the sailor that is based on his lines in the song "barnicle bill".

Ozymandias
06-11-2009, 11:57 AM

Well, there could be a placebo effect in place. I mean, brain function tends to fluctuate within a certain range anyways, and if you feel like you SHOULD be smarter, its well within possibility that you DO become smarter.

Also, I find most classical music very relaxing, and I think better when I'm relaxed, which is another potential explanation.

So maybe Mozart/Bach/Chopin or whoever you like is a means to a state in which your brain function is elevated?

Mort
06-11-2009, 01:30 PM
There are studies being done that seeks to see if typical sad or happy music affects people in different ways. The field of it wary, I think, depending on exactly what focus they have. But try finding something in the line of emotional cognition or emotional psychology. It's a pretty new field of psychology.

This (http://scholar.google.se/scholar?hl=sv&q=emotional+cognition+music&spell=1) might be a place to start.

Hope it helps.

SauceyBlueConfetti
06-11-2009, 02:14 PM
I always think about how I had to have numerous MRIs...and how the noise in the tube was earsplitting. When I was allowed to wear headphones and listen to music, I was fine. When I didn't, I would have mini-panic attacks (a bit of claustraphobia)

Also, I cannot fall asleep with a tv on, but music, of any sort, can lull me when I am feeling stressed and allows me to drift off.

Not sure if that helps, but it is all I can offer.

Good Luck kiddo. I always rocked the last minute deadlines in college, so I know that while freaky, they can be exhilirating.

Ivhon
06-11-2009, 04:07 PM

I stubbed my toe the other day and listened to Britney. Made the toe hurt worse.

Hope that helps....

Zanguini
06-11-2009, 04:13 PM
you could write about the musical hypocrasy of the american south

GonzoTheGreat
06-11-2009, 04:19 PM
I stubbed my toe the other day and listened to Britney. Made the toe hurt worse.

Hope that helps....Did you pick "Oops, I did it again"? If not, then it is your own fault for picking the wrong song.

You could of course test my theory: kick a door or wall, and listen a couple of times to various Britney songs. Record the results and repeat (to be sure it's not a fluke).
I'll be interested to hear the outcome of this experiment. Since it's my theory, I'm prejudiced and thus not the right person to test this. As you no doubt understand.

JSUCamel
06-11-2009, 05:26 PM
I've always been fascinated by Synesthesia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synaesthesia).

Terez
06-11-2009, 06:46 PM
you could write about the musical hypocrasy of the american south
Huh? Is this a racial thing?

I've always been fascinated by Synesthesia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synaesthesia).
There you go, Ana - make a bunch of people listen to Messiaen, and ask them how it makes them feel. :D

Zanguini
06-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Huh? Is this a racial thing?

no its about no one here around here will accept anything other than country music and how they rebel against anyother form of music by putting it down while ignoring how raunchy country is

Zaela Sedai
06-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Country music is the best.... but I like other music too :)

JSUCamel
06-11-2009, 09:07 PM
I won tickets to the Kenny Chesney/Sugarland concert on Saturday, and I can't find anyone else to go with me :/

Zaela Sedai
06-11-2009, 10:21 PM
I <3 Kenny!

Terez
06-12-2009, 02:03 AM
If you were still in Alabama, you'd have no problem...

Anaiya Sedai
06-12-2009, 04:16 AM
Maessien makes me want to throw things at people.

I think I'll stick to the pain relief thing, I've actually found quite a lot of stuff that I can use, ranging from depression, arthritis and other chronic pain to premature babies and giving birth..
*sighs*
I really don't feel like doing this, and listening to music isn't helping here.. :rolleyes:

Terez
06-13-2009, 02:18 AM
Maessien makes me want to throw things at people. That was rather the point. :D I made Crispy listen to some when I was studying him for keyboard lit, though, and Crispy liked him...he didn't much like Schönberg, though...

hippie-joe
06-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Well, there could be a placebo effect in place. I mean, brain function tends to fluctuate within a certain range anyways, and if you feel like you SHOULD be smarter, its well within possibility that you DO become smarter.

Also, I find most classical music very relaxing, and I think better when I'm relaxed, which is another potential explanation.

So maybe Mozart/Bach/Chopin or whoever you like is a means to a state in which your brain function is elevated?

exactly, i didn't mean that it is only motzart, that is just the cliche...

i think this could be very interesting, but finding results of brain scans with this possible study in mind may be exceedingly hard, especially on short notice...

the music would put you in 'the void,' so to speak. helping ones capasity to consentrate and or learn.

GonzoTheGreat
06-14-2009, 04:22 AM
the music would put you in 'the void,' so to speak. helping ones capasity to consentrate and or learn.Based on your spelling, you need quite a lot of music.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :p

Terez
06-14-2009, 06:46 AM
He's probably been listening to too much 3 Doors Down...

Mort
06-14-2009, 10:03 AM
Didn't get gonzos and terez posts... whatwhatwhat?

Terez
06-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Didn't get gonzos and terez posts... whatwhatwhat? Well, Gonzo was referring to the idea that listening to music (or certain types of music) will make you smarter, which Joe sort of brought up in this post (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=47534&postcount=14). Since Joe has spelling issues (I even corrected him on the spelling of Mozart, which he seems to have missed), Gonzo thought it might possibly do Joe some good (by Joe's own theory, anyway) to listen to some music.

Then, I suggested that perhaps Joe wasn't listening to the right music, and my example of the type of music that might kill brain cells was a reference to this thread (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1738), which in turn was a reference to this thread (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1727).

Somewhere hidden in the midst of all this is a reference to this thread (http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1694).

Do try to keep up. :p

GonzoTheGreat
06-14-2009, 10:29 AM
hippie-joe said that music could help you learn. Since he spelled Mozart, I, concentrate and capacity wrong, I concluded that he hadn't had enough music, yet.
Terez offered the alternative explanation that he'd been listening to the wrong music.

Guess that for a proper study of this, we will need sets of triplets: one to listen to "the right music", one to listen to "the wrong music", and one who gets only country&western.

Terez
06-14-2009, 10:55 AM
I answered it better.

GonzoTheGreat
06-14-2009, 11:45 AM
I came up with an idea to test the theory.

Mort
06-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Haha, love the bickering :)

Maybe another group who don't listen to music at all too, so we get a baseline. Anyone know any quadruplets? :)

hippie-joe
06-14-2009, 06:20 PM
He's probably been listening to too much 3 Doors Down...

god no... i listen to music that is actually good. though that is generally not classical. but you're right my spelling is atrocious and i freely admit it.

i smoked away the brain cell associated with spelling :rolleyes:

hippie-joe
06-14-2009, 06:25 PM
you would also need to include a control group that would listen to no music at all

yes i did mis the correct spelling of motzart:D i mean mozart.

come to think of it there was an interesting segment on mythbusters that played different types of music to plants and see if there was any effect in growth, i didn't stick around to watch the end, i prolly had to come back upstairs to reply on theoryland... lol

Matoyak
06-15-2009, 02:20 AM
you would also need to include a control group that would listen to no music at all

yes i did mis the correct spelling of motzart:D i mean mozart.

come to think of it there was an interesting segment on mythbusters that played different types of music to plants and see if there was any effect in growth, i didn't stick around to watch the end, i prolly had to come back upstairs to reply on theoryland... lol
Their watering system broke, so they all died. But after that, they still measured them, and the ones with the heavy metal playing were the largest.