PDA

View Full Version : Letterman vs Palin

Ozymandias
06-12-2009, 08:57 AM
Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'd be interested in hearing from some of our more conservative pals around here.

Personally I thought it was a joke in poor taste, but just a joke nonetheless. Not to mention that I got the reference... and I think Governor Palin is willfully misinterpreting it in order to garner media attention.

Plus, you can't hold your kids up as political tools to gain sympathy, and then recoil in disgust and shock when everyone else treats them the same way.

In any case, Letterman made his meaning clear and apologized for any misunderstanding. Not only should that be enough, but Palin should recognize that she's just making herself into more of a media circus and less of a serious political heavyweight by even engaging with a comedian through media interviews, instead of just not addressing it in the first place.

Davian93
06-12-2009, 08:58 AM
Please post a link as I have no idea what you are referring to.

I side with Letterman as I've been to his show in person and got cool up front seats at random. And my "love" of Palin is well known. She's a moron and likely "misunderstood" whatever was said to garner media attention like the media whore she is.

Sarevok
06-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Please post a link as I have no idea what you are referring to.
Seconded.

Yellowbeard
06-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Letterman spouted off some "jokes" about SP looking like a cheap slut airline stewardess and another about A-Rod knocking up her other (14-yr old) daughter.

Very poor taste in calling her a slut, and JMHO, but taking digs at her thru her 14-year old daughter is not "just a joke". Letterman demeaned himself in doing that.

Now that said....

...Governor Palin is willfully misinterpreting it in order to garner media attention.

No argument from me. She's a media whore and primadona. Never saw a camera she didn't like and never misses a chance to make (or create) a headline.

A much classier response would have been to simply say that Letterman's "jokes" were in extreme poor taste and it's a shame that the media has to stoop to such things, then made no more comments.

Now Letterman is trying to get her to come on his show, and they're exchanging words thru the media. It is just showing they are both total clowns. God help us conservatives if Palin gets the nomination next time. God help us ALL if she actually gets elected.

Ivhon
06-12-2009, 10:36 AM
The knocking up her daughter reference did not specifically refer to either daughter.

However, one can infer - which Letterman made a point of clarifying - that he meant the 18 year old daughter who has actually been knocked up (part of the joke).

Palin is intentionally, IMO, trying to frame it around her 14yo to make an issue out of it.

That said, I don't respect potshots at politicans' family members - particularly the children. Those people did not ask to be in the spotlight, typically don't do anything to earn the spotlight on their own merits (i.e. Bristol Palin would be just a statistic if her mother weren't in the public eye). As such, I think they should be left alone. Unless, of course, they do something that would get them media attention on their own merits.

I have less respect for politicians that use their family members - particularly minor children - as political tools.

Yellowbeard
06-12-2009, 10:42 AM
The knocking up her daughter reference did not specifically refer to either daughter.

However, one can infer - which Letterman made a point of clarifying - that he meant the 18 year old daughter who has actually been knocked up (part of the joke).

Po-tay-to / po-tah-to. *shrugs*

My only real point is SP and DL are both making jackasses out of themselves.

It just hit me...that's actually a state of normalcy for them both. So not really a big story as it's nothing new.

Oatman
06-12-2009, 10:46 AM
and another about A-Rod knocking up her other (14-yr old) daughter

I actually watched that Letterman(I think it's absolute crap by the way) because it was on in the gap between when I was furiously studying and insanely eating my notebook. Letterman explained clearly that his jokes were not directed at the 14-year old at all, and that he was referring to the 18-year old. He than repeated the joke, and aside from being embarrassingly bad, there was nothing at all wrong with them, or indicating that he meant the 14 year old. Part of the 'willful misinterpretation' was that of interpreting the jokes as being directed at the 14-year old. If this isn't an attempt by Palin to get attention its simply more fuel for the 'she's a moron' fire. But then again, it can qualify for both.

Disclaimer: At the time I was watching this I was at the point of tiredness where the only thing keeping me awake was caffeine and I was seeing images of Piaget and Kohlberg fighting to the death using a pendulum made from string and cork and a the broken bottle of a medicine that could cure cancer, respectively. If I've remembered the sequence of events incorrectly, blame coffee.(that's a change, I usually blame beer for the inconsistencies in my memory...)

Ivhon
06-12-2009, 10:57 AM
I actually watched that Letterman(I think it's absolute crap by the way) because it was on in the gap between when I was furiously studying and insanely eating my notebook. Letterman explained clearly that his jokes were not directed at the 14-year old at all, and that he was referring to the 18-year old. He than repeated the joke, and aside from being embarrassingly bad, there was nothing at all wrong with them, or indicating that he meant the 14 year old. Part of the 'willful misinterpretation' was that of interpreting the jokes as being directed at the 14-year old. If this isn't an attempt by Palin to get attention its simply more fuel for the 'she's a moron' fire. But then again, it can qualify for both.

Disclaimer: At the time I was watching this I was at the point of tiredness where the only thing keeping me awake was caffeine and I was seeing images of Piaget and Kohlberg fighting to the death using a pendulum made from string and cork and a the broken bottle of a medicine that could cure cancer, respectively. If I've remembered the sequence of events incorrectly, blame coffee.(that's a change, I usually blame beer for the inconsistencies in my memory...)

Umm...I want some of YOUR coffee....

Oatman
06-12-2009, 11:05 AM
It was more that the coffee was keeping me awake long after I should not have been rather than any effects of the coffee itself. There's always the chance I just got an awesome batch off coffee though. If I see Wechsler and Binet duking it out whilst studying for my next exam I'll have my answer.

Davian93
06-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Palin sucks and she deliberately used her children as a shield during the election. She also spouted on and on about her family values and real America and all sorts of other stupid ignorant crap. She is and was a complete joke. I hope the Republicans nominate her in 2012 so Obama can walk to reelection. The entire Republican party is a joke now and they're doing it to themselves.

Ishara
06-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Welll.. actually, the joke was made in reference to the Palins attending a baseball game earlier that day - and Bristol wasn't there. The other one was. So the joke was obviously in reference to the younger daughter.

That being said, perhaps Palin is *surprise* blowing things out of proportion.

Yellowbeard
06-12-2009, 01:33 PM
Welll.. actually, the joke was made in reference to the Palins attending a baseball game earlier that day - and Bristol wasn't there. The other one was. So the joke was obviously in reference to the younger daughter.

oh wow, there's actually another person that took the time to actually check the facts instead of taking what good ol' dave said as gospel.

honestly, i don't think dave could care about palin or her daughters less. i think he started this crap for a ratings ploy. the next sweeps period starts july 2nd...he's just in time to try to start something and try to get her on just as sweeps starts.

Davian93
06-12-2009, 01:49 PM
I think Palin is probably the most pathetic politician I've ever seen. Its hilarious that Republicans have her as their next standard bearer. Have fun being the minority party for the next 20 years.

Ivhon
06-12-2009, 02:03 PM
I think Palin is probably the most pathetic politician I've ever seen. Its hilarious that Republicans have her as their next standard bearer. Have fun being the minority party for the next 20 years.

She's really not, though, Dav (would that she were). At this point, most Republicans and Conservatives think she is a joke too. There was a recent (I think it was gallup) poll that showed that even among Republicans, less than 1% see her as the party leader. Most Republicans in that poll cited in order: No one, Rush, Cheney, Gingrich and a distantly trailing Steele. Interestingly, no Republican Congressmen, Senators or Governors got even 1%. Which makes me wonder how the question was phrased.

Davian93
06-12-2009, 02:10 PM
She's really not, though, Dav (would that she were). At this point, most Republicans and Conservatives think she is a joke too. There was a recent (I think it was gallup) poll that showed that even among Republicans, less than 1% see her as the party leader. Most Republicans in that poll cited in order: No one, Rush, Cheney, Gingrich and a distantly trailing Steele. Interestingly, no Republican Congressmen, Senators or Governors got even 1%. Which makes me wonder how the question was phrased.

Rush Limbaugh is much less of a joke.

Ozymandias
06-12-2009, 04:59 PM

See I disagree with that. I thought, and I saw it live, that it was very obvious that when you have a pro-absitenance politician with a daughter pregnant out of wedlock, and a pro athlete known for his wandering, um, eye, that he's pointing at the daughter who HAS been knocked up already.

The defense to this is that while Dave clarified and apologized ofr misunderstings about Willow, he hasn't backed off the joke in terms of applying it to Bristol... I doubt he would make a joke he admits is inappropriate, when he clearly thinks the equally logical alternative butt of the joke isn't off-limits.

The other question being... what is Willow doing out of school? I don't blame them, because they don't have THAT much choice, but they're willfull accomplices in their own politicization. Oh, found this hilarious article, by the way (which is only peripherally related); you can almost hear the author creaming her pants over the Palins as she writes it.

Doe-eyed Bristol Palin, 17, and ruggedly handsome Levi Johnston, an 18-year-old self-described "f---in' redneck," have been dating a year, locals in Wasilla, Alaska, told the Daily News.

Johnston, broad-chested and wearing a No. 15 jersey, can be seen in photographs hitting the boards as a Warrior in action.

A closeup shot shows the handsome teen with a light dusting of whiskers on his chin - his dark brown hair curly and wet.

I think I might be a little turned on... this is writing fit for an erotic novel, not a serious article.

He's a superhunky bad-boy ice hockey player from cold country; she's a chestnut-haired beauty and popular high school senior.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/republican_race/2008/09/01/2008-09-01_bristol_palins_pregnancy_was_an_open_sec.html#i xzz0IFuWMkRp&D

Besides his hard play on the ice, Levi Johnston was also a bit of a hell-raiser off it - another reason Bristol may have been smitten.

State troopers popped Johnston last year for snagging some king salmon out of season in Moose Lake, records from Alaska wildlife enforcement show. He had to pay $370 bail.

Such a rebel

Sinistrum
06-12-2009, 06:07 PM
No one, Rush, Cheney, Gingrich and a distantly trailing Steele.

The sad part is that Steele is probably most accomplished, best qualified, least scandal ridden and most politically pallatable to moderates out of all of those choices. Lost in the wilderness indeed.

Birgitte
06-13-2009, 11:28 PM
The sad part is that Steele is probably most accomplished, best qualified, least scandal ridden and most politically pallatable to moderates out of all of those choices. Lost in the wilderness indeed.

All that and still afraid to take on Stephen Colbert in a rap battle. Tsk, tsk, Steele. Tsk, tsk.