PDA

View Full Version : It's a Bird! It's a Plane!

Gilshalos Sedai
06-12-2009, 02:29 PM
14-year-old hit by 30,000 mph space meteorite (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/science/space/5511619/14-year-old-hit-by-30000-mph-space-meteorite.html)

A schoolboy has survived a direct hit by a meteorite after it fell to earth at 30,000mph.

Published: 7:15AM BST 12 Jun 2009

Gerrit Blank survived a direct hit by a meteorite as it hurtled to Earth at more than 30,000 mph

Gerrit Blank, 14, was on his way to school when he saw "ball of light" heading straight towards him from the sky.

A red hot, pea-sized piece of rock then hit his hand before bouncing off and causing a foot wide crater in the ground.

The teenager survived the strike, the chances of which are just 1 in a million - but with a nasty three-inch long scar on his hand.

He said: "At first I just saw a large ball of light, and then I suddenly felt a pain in my hand.

"Then a split second after that there was an enormous bang like a crash of thunder."

"The noise that came after the flash of light was so loud that my ears were ringing for hours afterwards.

"When it hit me it knocked me flying and then was still going fast enough to bury itself into the road," he explained.

Scientists are now studying the pea-sized meteorite which crashed to Earth in Essen, Germany.

"I am really keen on science and my teachers discovered that the fragment is really magnetic," said Gerrit.

Chemical tests on the rock have proved it had fallen from space.

Ansgar Kortem, director of Germany's Walter Hohmann Observatory, said: "It's a real meteorite, therefore it is very valuable to collectors and scientists.

"Most don't actually make it to ground level because they evaporate in the atmosphere. Of those that do get through, about six out of every seven of them land in water," he added.

The only other known example of a human being surviving a meteor strike happened in Alabama, USA, in November 1954 when a grapefruit-sized fragment crashed through the roof of a house, bounced off furniture and landed on a sleeping woman.

~*~

So, be on the lookout for kids flying around the skies of Germany.

Ivhon
06-12-2009, 02:34 PM
That is a scar that any 14 year old would be proud to wear

Weird Harold
06-12-2009, 03:07 PM
14-year-old hit by 30,000 mph space meteorite (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/science/space/5511619/14-year-old-hit-by-30000-mph-space-meteorite.html)

A schoolboy has survived a direct hit by a meteorite after it fell to earth at 30,000mph.

His mom can quit worrying about him now -- he's been "pre-disastered." :D

Davian93
06-12-2009, 03:11 PM
I guess that selective breeding program of theirs actually worked.

Yellowbeard
06-12-2009, 04:00 PM
if i were that boy, i'd demand to be the owner of the meteor. no way i'd ever let someone else have it after having survived being hit by it.

he's lucky he didn't take it in the forehead or chest though. he wouldh't have been so fortunate survival-wise.

GonzoTheGreat
06-12-2009, 04:02 PM
The only other known example of a human being surviving a meteor strike happened in Alabama, USA, in November 1954 when a grapefruit-sized fragment crashed through the roof of a house, bounced off furniture and landed on a sleeping woman.There was also a case somewhere in Africa, about a decade or so ago. There a meteor exploded in the upper atmosphere (as they do quite often, when they suddenly slam into it at a couple of tens of thousands of miles a second), and the pieces fell down on a fairly large area. One piece struck a tree, bounced off, hit a boy and then fell to the ground. Other pieces buried themselves about 3 feet deep in the earth.

When we had a meteor exhibition in the observatory, we had a number of pictures from that case there too. I can't remember any more whether we had any of the pieces that were recovered from that strike on display.

Zanguini
06-12-2009, 05:07 PM
unfortunately for the boy he has used up all of his luck and will lead a miserable existance

GonzoTheGreat
06-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Perhaps he made a wish when he felt the shooting star shoot him?

Does that count, I wonder?
For some reason, superstitions are never quite as explicitly precise as I would like.

ShadowbaneX
06-12-2009, 05:57 PM
if i were that boy, i'd demand to be the owner of the meteor. no way i'd ever let someone else have it after having survived being hit by it.

he's lucky he didn't take it in the forehead or chest though. he wouldh't have been so fortunate survival-wise.
I'd agree with this. If it nearly took my hand off, I'd want to have it myself.

The only question now is what kind of superpowers does he get?

Mort
06-12-2009, 07:23 PM

He has a resistance to meteorites. Too bad he won't be able to use it much :)

Why does six out of every seven (~85%) hit water when 3/4 (75%) of the planet is water? Do the meteorites like water? Is someone controlling the meteorites? :) Tin foil hat on!

Davian93
06-12-2009, 09:28 PM
Perhaps he made a wish when he felt the shooting star shoot him?

Does that count, I wonder?
For some reason, superstitions are never quite as explicitly precise as I would like.

He shouldn't have taken the star across the wall...what was he thinking?

Orc
06-13-2009, 12:17 AM
Why does six out of every seven (~85%) hit water when 3/4 (75%) of the planet is water? Do the meteorites like water? Is someone controlling the meteorites? :) Tin foil hat on!

Probably has something to do with most rocks orbiting in the same plane as the planets, so they'd tend to come down somewhere closer to the equator than the poles. And there's more water near the equator. That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it.

hippie-joe
06-13-2009, 09:45 PM
He shouldn't have taken the star across the wall...what was he thinking?

is that a reference to stardust?

Davian93
06-14-2009, 10:55 AM
is that a reference to stardust?

At least someone got it.

hippie-joe
06-14-2009, 07:16 PM
At least someone got it.
my gf made me watch it, i was pleasantly surprised... she has a thing for witches, she kinda looks like the stereotypical witch. with the long black hair, the black cat and a fetish for halloween. lol

Orc
06-14-2009, 09:27 PM
At least someone got it.

Eh, I got it, I just didn't feel the need to comment on it. Good movie though.

Dragon Thief
06-15-2009, 01:58 AM
I thought I got it, but wasn't sure enough to say so. That, and I was prolly too lazy to post. I'd tell you for sure, but I'm too lazy to remember.

Gilshalos Sedai
06-15-2009, 08:31 AM
I got it. Didn't feel like pointing it out, though.

Crispin's Crispian
06-15-2009, 11:35 AM
I totally got it.

Once you explained it.

Purple Dragon
06-17-2009, 06:31 PM
I'd agree with this. If it nearly took my hand off, I'd want to have it myself.

these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Meteor_Man_(film)