PDA

View Full Version : To the United peoples of the Kingdom,

JSUCamel
06-15-2009, 04:44 PM
I have a friend who is about to graduate pastry school, and she's looking to get some work experience abroad. Basically, she wants to apprentice herself to some bakers and chefs in the UK (and I guess the rest of Europe too, but she's asking about the UK right now).

Anyway, I know none of our Brits are bakers or whatever, but I figured I'd ask. If one wanted to find such a job, what are some resources that an American could use to find one?

Crispin's Crispian
06-15-2009, 05:08 PM
I have a friend who is about to graduate pastry school, and she's looking to get some work experience abroad. Basically, she wants to apprentice herself to some bakers and chefs in the UK (and I guess the rest of Europe too, but she's asking about the UK right now).

Anyway, I know none of our Brits are bakers or whatever, but I figured I'd ask. If one wanted to find such a job, what are some resources that an American could use to find one?
She wants to apprentice and travel. Nice. You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

Terez
06-15-2009, 05:19 PM
I hear SP is a master chef. Maybe you could get him to go to the UK.

GonzoTheGreat
06-15-2009, 05:29 PM
She wants to apprentice and travel. Nice. You can't have your cake and eat it, too.Perhaps you can if you also bake your own cake?

JSUCamel
06-15-2009, 05:50 PM
Well, I think she's open to apprenticing anywhere in Europe, but she's focusing her efforts on the UK ;) I don't think she wants to travel, per se, so much as live in a section of Europe for a few years and learn from a few different butchers/bakers/candlestickmakers

Uno
06-15-2009, 05:55 PM
You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

Well, rather depends on what you mean by "have," doesn't it? Seems unhygienic, though.

Zaela Sedai
06-15-2009, 05:59 PM
I think that thread has infiltrated every other active thread on this board...

Terez
06-15-2009, 06:02 PM
It was too hard to pass up on the chef comment in the OP, you know...

JSUCamel
06-15-2009, 07:06 PM
You would think that more people would be appreciative of the awesomeness of the cheese thread, especially given its pervasiveness in active threads (and potentially future threads), but apparently it's not so. I've only gotten one rep for it. Sad day.

Ozymandias
06-15-2009, 09:03 PM
You would think that more people would be appreciative of the awesomeness of the cheese thread, especially given its pervasiveness in active threads (and potentially future threads), but apparently it's not so. I've only gotten one rep for it. Sad day.

Minus one future rep for such a shameless plug!

Zaela Sedai
06-15-2009, 09:15 PM
I repped you anyways LOL

Brita
06-15-2009, 10:20 PM
~~sigh~~

If only I could...

Oatman
06-16-2009, 10:53 AM
In Aussieland its really common for young people to head to the UK and have a working holiday. At the moment, almost everyone is advising against it. Normally the idea is go over, get a bar or waiting job, and than do whatever with the money, you know, basic stuff every country's youth does really, but unemployment in the UK is so horrendously bad at the moment, thanks to the economic collapse and all, that it would be extremely tough for a tourist to get a job because all the residents want them. But again I think that situation can be generalised to everywhere and not just the UK. So basically, it's a really bad time to be trying for a working holiday.

Gilshalos Sedai
06-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Yeah, but an apprentice chef isn't a barmaid. This is a rather specialized position.

Oatman
06-16-2009, 11:15 AM
I'm sure the UK has as many people who would take a job as a chef or baker as would take a job in a bar or waiting. When people are desperate for a job they'll take what they can get.

Gilshalos Sedai
06-16-2009, 11:31 AM
A chef requires specialized training. You can't just walk in and apply like you can for a chain restaraunt cook.

JSUCamel
06-16-2009, 11:42 AM
And even then, it's an employer's market right now -- they can afford to be picky and hire people with the right credentials. Whom would you rather hire: some random dude off the street with little to no experience, or a woman with a degree from a US accredited culinary college?

Sarevok
06-16-2009, 11:53 AM
And even then, it's an employer's market right now -- they can afford to be picky and hire people with the right credentials. Whom would you rather hire: some random dude off the street with little to no experience, or a woman with a degree from a US accredited culinary college?
I think they'd take the guy from the UK with a similar education, who's also able to drop by for a job interview.

Gilshalos Sedai
06-16-2009, 12:10 PM
That may be true, Sare. But it's not like Oatie's saying that any joe off the street can apply for that kind of position.

Zanguini
06-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Why would anyone go to the UK to study how to cook? Brittish food is generally nasty... bangers and mash anyone? mushy peas? beans on toast?

Oatman
06-16-2009, 11:43 PM
That may be true, Sare. But it's not like Oatie's saying that any joe off the street can apply for that kind of position.

Last I checked any Joe off the street could apply for an apprenticeship. The idea of the apprenticeship is that it gives you the qualification. An apprenticeship is also, at least in my mind, a longer term employment which is unsuited to tourist employment, but I've never had one so that's pure opinion.

JSUCamel
06-17-2009, 12:51 AM
Fat lotta help you guys are.

Sarevok
06-17-2009, 02:53 AM
Fat lotta help you guys are.
Well, this whole thread has basically been the long version of "we don't have a clue".

GonzoTheGreat
06-17-2009, 04:17 AM
Why would anyone go to the UK to study how to cook? Brittish food is generally nasty... bangers and mash anyone? mushy peas? beans on toast?Perhaps to learn how to make grilled cheese?

Gilshalos Sedai
06-17-2009, 07:53 AM
From what I know of chefs, Oatie, they have to go to school to become an apprentice. It's like an internship.