PDA

View Full Version : They're mad because they can't keep roadkill

Yellowbeard
06-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Man won’t get to keep bear he hit on I-75

By Alexis Stevens

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A Dalton family already had a spot picked out for the keepsake black bear they hit on the interstate late Saturday night.

“It was going on the wall in the den,” Beth Jewell said. “We already have a hog in the dining room.”

Mike Jewell was driving a Ford F-250 truck and pulling a boat when he hit the bear on the way home from Chattanooga. The bear was apparently crossing the interstate, and there was no way to avoid the collision. The Jewels, who were traveling with their 5-year-old daughter, pulled off at a gas station to check the damages on the truck and call police.

“I didn’t know if the bear was dead or not,” Mike Jewell said. “And if wasn’t dead, he was gonna be mad.”

A state patrol officer arrived, and after making a phone call, told Mike Jewell, an avid hunter, he could keep the animal.

“I know the laws,” Jewell said. “I wasn’t going to be caught with a bear without permission to get it.”

It took four grown men to load the bear into the Jewells’ truck. Once the bear made it home, it was gutted and filled with ice, Beth Jewell said.

Sunday morning, Mike Jewell called his taxidermist. But Jewell was told he’d need a tag in order to have the bear prepped to hang on the wall.

Jewell’s next call was to the local DNR office. But he was shocked to learn that he would not be allowed to keep the bear, as he previously had been told. Mike Jewell said he called state Rep. Roger Williams of Dalton, who couldn’t offer any help.

“It’s a law that you are not allowed to possess any whole or parts of bear unless it is the designated season of the bear,” said Robin Hill, DNR communications program manager.

Bear season will run from Sept. 12 until Dec. 6 this year, Hill said. Some parts of black bears, such as their gall bladders, are in high demand in the Asian market because they are used for medicinal purposes, she said.

The bear will now be placed on display in an education facility, Hill said. The site hasn’t been named yet, but hopefully it will be in the northwest Georgia area.

The Jewells would really like the bear back. But at the very least, they want to be able to keep track of it.

“I feel like we have bragging rights to the bear,” Beth Jewell said. “I want to be able to trace this bear, and see what they do with it.”
-------------------------------------------------------

Georgia has such an interesting mix of people. Was at Ikea a few weeks ago w/ my girlfriend so she could pick out house warming gift for a friend...place was overrun w/ shall we say flamboyant pairs of guys. Not that I hate them or anything...it was just very interesting people watching, and at the same time, this place has a healthy contingent of people like the subjects of this article.

Just thought you guys would find the article entertaining.

Gilshalos Sedai
06-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Uh.... ew.

Crispin's Crispian
06-17-2009, 02:04 PM
The article could be pared down to the headline, and then to this:
“It was going on the wall in the den,” Beth Jewell said. “We already have a hog in the dining room.”

Sei'taer
06-17-2009, 04:43 PM

I know, right...everyone who's anyone knows a hog goes in the den. Rednecks...

Mort
06-18-2009, 05:14 AM
Anyone who has a taxidermist ready to go is suspicious in my book.

GonzoTheGreat
06-18-2009, 05:45 AM
Is that gonna be the new Republican slogan?
"Obama will take your taxidermist away."

Davian93
06-18-2009, 06:53 AM
Anyone who has a taxidermist ready to go is suspicious in my book.

That writes off about 40% of Americans then.

Ivhon
06-18-2009, 07:57 AM
Sad thing is that I know exactly where that happenned

Zanguini
06-18-2009, 08:14 AM
“I feel like we have bragging rights to the bear,” Beth Jewell said. “I want to be able to trace this bear, and see what they do with it.”
-------------------------------------------------------

Georgia has such an interesting mix of people. Was at Ikea a few weeks ago w/ my girlfriend so she could pick out house warming gift for a friend...place was overrun w/ shall we say flamboyant pairs of guys. Not that I hate them or anything...it was just very interesting people watching, and at the same time, this place has a healthy contingent of people like the subjects of this article.

Just thought you guys would find the article entertaining.

I totally killed you, it was on accident but i totally killed you ... years later ... you know that time i was driving ... i totally smashed that bear....

bragging about something that was an accident. Other than thinking he has bragging rights ... good job bears are godless killing machines.

On a side note I now feel fortunate I survived JordanCon... which is held in Atlanta, GA

GonzoTheGreat
06-18-2009, 09:33 AM
Other than thinking he has bragging rights ... good job bears are godless killing machines.As you should've known from 2 Kings|2:24, not all bears are godless killing machines.

Message brought to you by Gonzo "for all your Bibilical Trivia" The Great.

Mort
06-19-2009, 07:57 AM
That writes off about 40% of Americans then.

I have no problem with that :)

Weird Harold
06-19-2009, 11:17 AM

In the current economic climate, I could understand them being upset about not being able to keep the meat -- a couple hundred pounds of bear-burger would go a long way to offset the cost of repairs to the truck.

But road-kill doesn't strike me as much of a trophy to be bragging on by using the hide for wallpaper.

Davian93
06-20-2009, 11:41 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_fE-F7VIvYfk/Sa_jW-KsVcI/AAAAAAAABGc/4lKQs3uDkGY/s400/family%2520guy%2520bear%2520arms.jpg

Thought this was appropriate...

tworiverswoman
06-20-2009, 04:12 PM
Is there a punchline? I don't really get it.

Frenzy
06-20-2009, 04:22 PM
my brother hit a deer his first year in rural Kansas. Fortunately the sherriff had it strapped to the hood of his squad car before he left. He never heard the end of it from his father-in-law.

JSUCamel
06-20-2009, 05:07 PM
I hit an 8 point buck my senior year of high school. I was going about 65 mph at night, the bastard walks out from behind a bush and BAM. It was like one of those cheesy B-movies where someone falls off a cliff, and it's obviously just them standing there terrified in front of a green screen, because the deer wasn't moving at all, just getting smaller and smaller as he got farther and farther away.

In retrospect, it was rather funny.

My step-father and I spent a good half hour trying to find the deer, but it was so dark I couldn't find it. The people who owned the land had a kid at my school, and he came up to me and told me they found it the next day. Eight points. Woo.

lol

Davian93
06-20-2009, 05:36 PM
Is there a punchline? I don't really get it.

Constitutionally, we all have a right to bear arms...

JSUCamel
06-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Constitutionally, we all have a right to bear arms...

In third grade, we had a game-show type thing, and one of the questions was "What does it mean to have the right to bear arms?" and nobody on my team knew, so we went with "The right to roll up our sleeves".

hippie-joe
06-20-2009, 07:27 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_fE-F7VIvYfk/Sa_jW-KsVcI/AAAAAAAABGc/4lKQs3uDkGY/s400/family%2520guy%2520bear%2520arms.jpg

Thought this was appropriate...

everyone should have a beautiful pair of bear arms!

that was a great clip