PDA

View Full Version : Happy Midsummers Eve!

Mort
06-19-2009, 09:04 AM
I have no idea if anyone celebrates this across the pond, I don't even have intel on my european cousins on this topic..

Anyway, Happy Midsummers Eve!
In Sweden this includes firing up the ol' barbeque, gathering a bunch of friends and family and just have a great time all night long. Alchohol is a natural ingredient! Bars and such are usually closed today so it's a lot of people gatering at home and just have a great time.

You usually eat herring and potatoes for lunch, then something more meatier on the grill later on :)

You also need to do a few spiced shots with your food (my internet lexicon calls this dram, in sweden we call it Nubbe :) )

Zanguini
06-19-2009, 09:11 AM
most americans will save thier grilling of animal flesh for sunday

edit:hey... my calender has the solstice happening on sunday .... would that then not make this midsummers eve eve?

GonzoTheGreat
06-19-2009, 09:38 AM
I know that it's celebrated at Stonehenge, but I suspect you need to make a reservation a decade in advance. Here in The Netherlands it's limited to just a few nutjobs, which, come to think of it, would probably also be a fair description of the UK situation.

Orc
06-19-2009, 10:17 AM
I reserve June 19th for the celebration of being one year older.

Gilshalos Sedai
06-19-2009, 11:58 AM
Well, then, happy birthday!

And no, Americans kinda shrug. Though this year, Sunday is Father's Day which is a reason for a cookout in and of itself.

DahLliA
06-21-2009, 01:46 PM
we celebrate Sankthans(Saint Hans day) here in Norway June 24th.

celebrated with bonfires and unhealthy amounts of alcohol :p

Terez
06-21-2009, 02:26 PM
We also have July 4 coming up, the biggest bbq day of the year.