PDA

View Full Version : Rock Covers

Matoyak
06-20-2009, 04:43 AM
OK, so a couple friends and I were sitting around, and I have my music player on shuffle. Knocking on Heaven's Door came on, and a discussion about whether the original or the Guns N' Roses version was better. This eventually led to a discussion about cover songs in general. Which led to a sort-of contest. We're trying to find as many hard rock/punk rock/modern rock versions of older, softer songs as we can. There are no rules on how to find these songs, so I decided this message board could be pretty helpful. Only rule is we have include original artist

A few I've already found:
I'm a Believer - Smashmouth (Originally The Monkees)
Knocking on Heaven's Door - GnR (Originally Bob Dylan)
Careless Whisper - Seether (I do not yet know the original artist)
Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) - Marilyn Manson (Originally by Eurythmics)
Life is a Highway - Rascal Flatts (As much as I dislike this song [vocals way too whiny] it helps me, so, meh) (Originally Tom Cochran)
Kids in America - NOFX (Originally by Kim Wilde)
EDIT1:
99 Red Balloons - Goldfinger (Originally Nena)
Tainted Love - Marilyn Manson (Based on Soft Cell's version, which was also a cover of Gloria Jones's Tainted Love)

Any of y'all have any suggestions?

Davian93
06-20-2009, 12:43 PM
All Along The Watch Tower is a pretty obvious one. Written by Dylan and famously covered by Jimi Hendrix. Dave Matthews also has a couple great versions of it as well.
Come Together is another well covered song. Written by John Lennon (when he was a Beatle) and covered by Aerosmith more famously. I prefer the older version personally.

Sei'taer
06-20-2009, 12:49 PM
George Thorogoods bad to the bone was a cover of Bo Diddley

SRV's Cover of Little Wing By Hendrix

The Chili Peppers cover of Fire by Hendrix and Higher Ground which I think was done by Stevie Wonder

Terez
06-20-2009, 01:20 PM
Come Together is another well covered song. Written by John Lennon (when he was a Beatle) and covered by Aerosmith more famously.
I was going to mention that one. But is the Aerosmith version famous, really? I remember them doing it for the MTV awards, back in the early days of the awards, but I don't recall it being released on an album or anything.

I thought they did a good job.

Davian93
06-20-2009, 01:42 PM
I was going to mention that one. But is the Aerosmith version famous, really? I remember them doing it for the MTV awards, back in the early days of the awards, but I don't recall it being released on an album or anything.

I thought they did a good job.

9 times out of 10 when I hear it on the radio its the Aerosmith version...and it annoys me. I much prefer the older version. I figured that it was fairly famous as a result. Could just be the stations I listen to. Though now that I've had XM for a couple years, I almost never hear either version.

Terez
06-20-2009, 02:11 PM
I hear the original version fairly often, but I can't recall ever having heard a cover of it on the radio.

I don't pay attention to new music, but someone did a cover of Michael Jackson's Bad recently that I liked. (At least, I think it was Bad.)

Sei'taer
06-20-2009, 02:31 PM
I hear the original version fairly often, but I can't recall ever having heard a cover of it on the radio.

I don't pay attention to new music, but someone did a cover of Michael Jackson's Bad recently that I liked. (At least, I think it was Bad.)

It wasn't Bad, it was terrible.

Sinistrum
06-20-2009, 08:35 PM
Some ones I'm kind of partial too

Enjoy the Silence, Lacuna Coil (originally Depeche Mode)
Helden, Apocalyptica and Till Lindeman (orignally Heroes by David Bowie)
Shout, Disturbed (originally Tears for Fears)
Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ya, Dropkick Murphies (Don't know who did it originally but its been done so many times in various forms, including When Johnny Comes Marching Home)
Cars, Fear Factory (originally Gary Numan)
Hallowed Be Thy Name, Cradle of Filth (originally Iron Maiden)
Hand of Doom, Slayer (originally Black Sabbath)
Los Ninos Del Parque, KMFDM (originally Liaisons Dangereues)
Holy Diver, Killswitch Engage (originally Dio)
Metallica, Blitzkrieg (originally Blitzkrieg)
Lay Lady Lay, Ministry (originally Bob Dillon)
Angry Inch, Type O Negative (originally from Hedwig and the Angry Inch soundtrack)

ShadowbaneX
06-20-2009, 08:46 PM
what about "Rusty Cage"? Originally done by Soundgarden, but covered by Johnny Cash.

hippie-joe
06-20-2009, 09:19 PM
the who sang- behind blue eyes, and limp bizkit butchered.

goldfinger sang a crap load of covers of which the only one i recall is 99 red balloons(originally by nena) also covered by AFI and 7 seconds, counting crows, five iron frenzy, real big fish, draco and the malfoys, angry salad, siobhan duvall, and desolation yes
i think that is one of the most covered songs there is, especially in the punk genre.

E:smooth criminal by michael jackson was covered by alien ant farm

Frenzy
06-20-2009, 10:50 PM
~facepalm~

Frenzy
06-21-2009, 12:08 AM
Exodus covering AC/DC's Dirty Deeds is downright awesome.

Marilyn Manson covering The Eurythmics' Sweet Dreams worked rather well.

Metallica covering Bob Seger's Turn the Page did not. (the video was a nice twist, though. And they did Thin Lizzy's Whisky in the Jar a good turn)

Primus covering Pink Floyd's Have a Cigar was good, but their version of Charlie Daniels Band's The Devil Went Down to Georgia was surprisingly mediocre.

Cake doing that old disco song I Will Survive sounds so wrong, but it's actually pretty good.

i don't like old Van Halen, but DLR's cover of the Beach Boys' California Girls wasn't all that bad.

White Zombie covering Sabbath's Children of the Grave is very very cool (heck, that whole first Nativity in Black cover album was cool), but their cover of The Ramones' Blitzkreig Bop just plain sucked.

Showing my age here: i liked David Bowie's version of Iggy Pop's China Girl, even if the song creeped me out.

cottillion
06-21-2009, 01:08 AM
Korn- Another Brick in the Wall(Pink Floyd)
The Clash- I fought the law(Bobby Fuller Four )
Sex Pistols- My Way(Frank Sinatra)
White Stripes- Jolene(Dolly Parton)
Manfred Man- Blinded by the Light(Bruce Springsteen)
Allman Brothers Band- Statesboro Blues(Blind Willie McTell)

I love Korn's another brick in the wall and I think the others are all improvements over the original, some vast improvements.

Jalyn
06-21-2009, 02:04 AM
Exodus covering AC/DC's Dirty Deeds is downright awesome.

Marilyn Manson covering The Eurythmics' Sweet Dreams worked rather well.

Metallica covering Bob Seger's Turn the Page did not. (the video was a nice twist, though. And they did Thin Lizzy's Whisky in the Jar a good turn)

Primus covering Pink Floyd's Have a Cigar was good, but their version of Charlie Daniels Band's The Devil Went Down to Georgia was surprisingly mediocre.

Cake doing that old disco song I Will Survive sounds so wrong, but it's actually pretty good.

i don't like old Van Halen, but DLR's cover of the Beach Boys' California Girls wasn't all that bad.

White Zombie covering Sabbath's Children of the Grave is very very cool (heck, that whole first Nativity in Black cover album was cool), but their cover of The Ramones' Blitzkreig Bop just plain sucked.

Showing my age here: i liked David Bowie's version of Iggy Pop's China Girl, even if the song creeped me out.

Turn the Page was weird because it was perfectly fine until a little bit in the newer version where I suddenly realized it wasn't the original - at that point it became just wrong. I think the problem is that they followed the original so closely that the sudden "not the original" bit was incredibly jarring. (As a note, this is the song that immediately came to mind when I saw the OP)

Mort
06-21-2009, 06:03 AM
I like how they take one song from one genre and makes it into another genre.

Like Manic Street Preachers took Umbrella and remade it, pretty damn cool!

Richard Cheese does a lot of music into lounge jazz, those are really cool :)

Davian93
06-21-2009, 10:58 AM

The Foo Fighters version of Have a Cigar was better than that one...though I still prefer the Floyd version.

Matoyak
06-22-2009, 02:02 AM
I love Korn's another brick in the wall and I think the others are all improvements over the original, some vast improvements.
Ick. I like Korn, but I can't stand that cover. Not exactly sure why...it just sounds too...angry...or something.

Thank y'all for y'all's help...keep 'em coming :D

Frenzy
06-22-2009, 02:17 AM
Orgy's cover of New Order's Blue Monday was surprisingly good.

and i fully expect you to research who Seether covered, Mato.

Matoyak
06-22-2009, 03:17 AM
Wham! was the original artist.

Sinistrum
06-22-2009, 04:55 AM
I just have to add, Gary Jules cover of Mad World completely owns the original version by Tears for Fears.

Zanguini
06-22-2009, 09:21 AM
Joe Cockers cover of the last half of sgt peppers is great

Sei'taer
06-22-2009, 09:34 AM
Didn't GnR cover Sympathy for the Devil on the Interview with a Vampire soundtrack? Originally by the 'Stones, Man...I'm sure they did.

The Ghost of Tom Joad by Springsteen was covered by RAtM. I like RAtM's version better, btw.

Buckcherry covered Deep Purple's Highway Star, which I thought was gonna be lone bone suckass, but it wasn't too bad. I can tolerate it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfQz4iknDxY).

Celtic Frost did an absolutely hilarious cover of Mexican Radio, but I don't know who the original artist was.

This guy covered Screaming Jay Hawkins...sorta (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_Rj-X_bg4w).

Terez
06-22-2009, 12:02 PM
Stone Temple Pilots cover of Dancing Days by Zeppelin - I like both versions.

Gilshalos Sedai
06-22-2009, 12:05 PM
I'm a Believer - Smashmouth (Originally The Monkees)
Since The Monkees sucked, anything's an improvement.

This one SUCKS. I heard the opening and slammed in a CD. And I actually count Seether as one of my fave bands.

Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) - Marilyn Manson (Originally by Eurythmics)

I like this one way better than the original. It's a creepy song, but the Eurythmics were WAY TOO cheerful singing it.

99 Red Balloons - Goldfinger (Originally Nena)

Do NOT like this one.

Also, Johnny Cash did a cover of NIN's Hurt. Worked really well and you don't even notice Cash took out the cuss words till you're really paying attention. I actually prefer it to NIN's version.

Terez
06-22-2009, 12:07 PM
If we're throwing bad ones in too...how many bands covered that retarded-ass "Oh girl" song in the 80s and 90s?

hippie-joe
06-22-2009, 05:24 PM
ben harper covered strawberry fields by the beatles

if you count tribute bands... lez zepplin is an all girl tribute band to (bet you can't guess), but they do pretty much nothing but cover led zepplin

then there's 'wish you were here- sights and sounds of pink floyd' it's a long title isn't it?
i've seen them a couple of times and they may have been better if the rolls i had taken weren't bunk, or in the case of the second time, i actually had money to buy cid at the show, but alas...

Crispin's Crispian
06-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Sheryl Crow butchered Sweet Child O' Mine by GnR and also D'yer Maker by Led Zeppelin.

Dynamite Hack's cover of Boyz N the Hood was pretty good.

GnR did Live and Let Die, which was originally by the Wings. They did it well.

I liked Nirvana's Unplugged covers of the Meat Puppets on Plateau and Lake of Fire, but honestly I haven't heard the originals very many times.

Terez
06-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Sheryl Crow butchered Sweet Child O' Mine by GnR

Agreed on both points. Sweet Child O' Mine just wasn't much of a song without all the parts that were absent in Sheryl Crow's version.

Crispin's Crispian
06-22-2009, 06:38 PM
Agreed on both points. Sweet Child O' Mine just wasn't much of a song without all the parts that were absent in Sheryl Crow's version.
Does Live and Let Die (either version) drive you nuts when you hear:

"But in this ever-changing world in which we live in,"

like it does me?

Terez
06-22-2009, 06:40 PM
haha, no...I don't pay much attention to lyrics, so I've never noticed it before. :D But now that you've pointed it out...

Davian93
06-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Sheryl Crow butchered Sweet Child O' Mine by GnR and also D'yer Maker by Led Zeppelin.

I liked Nirvana's Unplugged covers of the Meat Puppets on Plateau and Lake of Fire, but honestly I haven't heard the originals very many times.

I HATE Sheryl Crow for that.

And yes, Nirvana's Unplugged covers were awesome...that is one of my favorite albums.

Crispin's Crispian
06-22-2009, 07:54 PM
It's just a good thing it's a good song and makes up for the lyrics.

That is, it's a good song that's good.

hippie-joe
06-22-2009, 07:58 PM
It's just a good thing it's a good song and makes up for the lyrics.

That is, it's a good song that's good.

lol

that it is. good, that is:p

Terez
06-22-2009, 07:59 PM
The verses of Live and Let Die are sort of cheesy, musically, but the best part is the transition into the choruses...

Sei'taer
06-22-2009, 09:47 PM
It's Wings...or Paul McCartney and Wings.

Does Live and Let Die (either version) drive you nuts when you hear:

"But in this ever-changing world in which we live in,"

like it does me?

Kinda like the arrow in the Fedex sign...once you see it you'll notice it every time.

Gilshalos Sedai
06-23-2009, 08:34 AM
Yes, I annoys the ever loving shit out of me. I hate that song because of that phrase.

Crispin's Crispian
06-23-2009, 11:04 AM
It's Wings...or Paul McCartney and Wings.

Kinda like the arrow in the Fedex sign...once you see it you'll notice it every time.
sonofa....

I've been working with FedEx information, pricing, logos, books, boxes, paks, and people for the last five years, and I had to have you point it out before I ever even noticed that.

I'll be damned.

Terez
06-23-2009, 12:28 PM
I don't see it.

Jokeslayer
06-23-2009, 03:52 PM
I don't see it.

Bottom half of the E and left side of the x.

Terez
06-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Ah, okay. I even realized that if there was an arrow, it would have something to do with the x, but I wasn't looking at the white spaces...

lurk
06-23-2009, 03:57 PM
could not remember the name of the band that did the cover of deep purples Hush
Kula shaker (yay Internet)

did a pretty decent job. Love the purple version more tho

Was the first number that popped into my mind,dunno why. because the world is loaded with covers. And some are even pretty good.

Davian93
06-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Ah, okay. I even realized that if there was an arrow, it would have something to do with the x, but I wasn't looking at the white spaces...

I'll be damned...I never noticed it before.

I also started seeing a schooner after staring at it a while.

Terez
06-23-2009, 07:10 PM

I also started seeing a schooner after staring at it a while.
Is that a fish, or a boat? I can't recall...

Davian93
06-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Is that a fish, or a boat? I can't recall...

Its a sailboat...

Sei'taer
06-23-2009, 08:55 PM
I'll be damned.

Now you'll notice it everytime you see it. One of those weird things.

Matoyak
06-23-2009, 09:42 PM
This one SUCKS. I heard the opening and slammed in a CD. And I actually count Seether as one of my fave bands. The opening isn't actually part of the song. It takes about 10 seconds for the song to actually get going. It's one of those ones that starts off with what sounds like a soundcheck. Once the lyrics come in, it is pretty good. (Also, I recently heard the original...did not like it as much as the Seether...)
But this is pretty much the only Seether song I've heard that I like. Not a big fan, they sound like a really generic grunge band to me.

EDIT - That is, it doesn't seem like it should be part of the song. There, that's what I meant to say.

Frenzy
06-23-2009, 11:12 PM
That song is amusing. i like cross-genre covers, like Johnny Cash doing NIN's Hurt, or the Sex Pistols doing Sinatra's My Way.

heheh, what band would you like to see cover a song that is completely out of their genre? Like The Cure covering Don't Worry Be Happy or Slayer covering Shiny Happy People. Or the Vienna Boy's Choir covering Bringing Sexy Back. :p

Oatman
06-24-2009, 10:09 AM
An Australian band, The Living End, also did a good cover of Tainted Love.

Take on Me, Reel Big Fish, original by a-ha, is probably my favorite cover song.

Neilbert
06-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Isn't whiskey in the jar an old Irish folk song?

I liked Alien Ant Farm's cover of "Smooth Criminal" and nothing else that POS band ever did.

Crispin's Crispian
06-24-2009, 11:18 AM
It's just sad. I've been looking at the FedEx logo for years. I have an office filled with FedEx boxes and rate books...

Next you're going to tell me the UPS logo has the burning twin towers or the Blessed Virgin.

Sei'taer
06-24-2009, 12:13 PM
It's just sad. I've been looking at the FedEx logo for years. I have an office filled with FedEx boxes and rate books...

Next you're going to tell me the UPS logo has the burning twin towers or the Blessed Virgin.

Those only show up on chips and toast and old barns.

(I almost said on grilled cheese sammichs but I edited that out.)

Neilbert
06-24-2009, 12:21 PM

And twenty dollar bills. (http://www.foldmoney.com/)

Frenzy
06-25-2009, 03:16 AM

(I almost said on grilled cheese sammichs but I edited that out.)
pansy :p

Matoyak
06-26-2009, 01:17 AM
Marilyn Manson covered This is Halloween. Not sure if that counts under the standards I set, though...

EDIT: As much as I hate to admit to knowing this, The Jonas Brothers did a decent cover of Poor Unfortunate Souls (Originally off the Little Mermaid). My cousin put it on my computer without my knowledge. It's labled little mermaid, had no idea it was Jonas Brothers until my GF laughed at me for having it on here.)

In other news, Nightmare Before Christmas rocks...I know I'm late to the party, but I think I might have been 4 when it came out, so please forgive. :p :p

And this definitely doesn't qualify, but Willie Nelson did a kickass cover of Cyndi Lauper's Time After Time. I love Willie.

AbbeyRoad
06-26-2009, 01:30 AM
Come Together is another well covered song. Written by John Lennon (when he was a Beatle) and covered by Aerosmith more famously.

More famously? Pshhh, I should hope not. The Beatles are an institution, and Come Together is a classic. I've heard the Beatles version hundreds of times, and the Aerosmith version once... there's no possible way it's more famous. That's like saying Eric Clapton's version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow is more famous than Judy Garland's.

Incidentally, in the movie Across the Universe, Joe Cocker does a surprisingly good cover of Come Together as well. Much better than Aerosmith's.

Terez
06-26-2009, 01:39 AM
I got sort of turned off of Joe Cocker by the infamous cover of "With a Little Help from My Friends". Not that it was bad. It was just a Ringo song, so I have never been all that fond of it.

AbbeyRoad
06-26-2009, 01:46 AM
I'm not a fan of Cocker by any means. I do like his cover of Come Together, though. Really captures the soul and style of the original without mimicking or parodying it.

Matoyak
06-26-2009, 01:50 AM
I'm not a fan of Cocker by any means. I do like his cover of Come Together, though. Really captures the soul and style of the original without mimicking or parodying it. I normally prefer a cover that avoids keeping close to the original stylistically, because no one will ever capture the essence correctly. That's why I like cross-genre covers, or pop-to-rock covers. (or rocknroll-to-hardrock covers)

EDIT: damn my english skills...or lack thereof.

Sarevok
06-26-2009, 03:19 AM
It's... Lurk...

Welkom back :)

ShadowbaneX
06-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Not really sure it counts, but anyone hear Shiny Toy Guns cover of Major Tom (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW0_kTYvARc)?

Actually, if you watch TV you probably have as it was used in a commercial.

It's a sequal to the David Bowie's songs and a cover of the Peter Schilling version.

Davian93
06-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Not really sure it counts, but anyone hear Shiny Toy Guns cover of Major Tom (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW0_kTYvARc)?

Actually, if you watch TV you probably have as it was used in a commercial.

It's a sequal to the David Bowie's songs and a cover of the Peter Schilling version.

Covering David Bowie songs should be a criminal offense.

ShadowbaneX
06-26-2009, 11:06 PM
Covering David Bowie songs should be a criminal offense.
well, this isn't a cover of a David Bowie song. It's a cover of a song that features a character made popular in a David Bowie song.

Davian93
06-26-2009, 11:07 PM
well, this isn't a cover of a David Bowie song. It's a cover of a song that features a character made popular in a David Bowie song.

Oh, okay. That's acceptable. Bowie is too unique to cover his work.

I'm a huge Bowie fan so I'm biased in that respect. I just bought this vintage 1983 Bowie concert T-shirt...pretty sweet find if I do say so myself.

Terez
06-26-2009, 11:27 PM
Oh, I thought you were saying that because you didn't like him. And I was like, what's wrong with David Bowie? hmph...

Gilshalos Sedai
06-27-2009, 09:16 AM
Dav likes David Bowie's package. *snicker*

Terez
06-27-2009, 12:24 PM
Have I mentioned that I can't remember anything about Labyrinth other than David Bowie's package?

Anaiya Sedai
06-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Have I mentioned that I can't remember anything about Labyrinth other than David Bowie's package?

I think there was a dumb caterpillar there or something.... ;)

Terez
06-27-2009, 12:46 PM
Or a sock.

ShadowbaneX
06-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Heard this one on the radio again as I was driving back from the bank. I like Seether and while I'm neutral about the original (which is a step above most other music from the time) there's something off about this version. I think it's mostly that the guy isn't actually singing the lyrics, he's just speaking them.

Infidel
06-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps… Wow. [I felt like] I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn't mine anymore…Trent Reznor's reaction after seeing the Johnny Cash video cover of Hurt.

The only cover I've ever heard that surpasses the original.

Gilshalos Sedai
06-27-2009, 03:42 PM
Wow, Cash brings Infidel out of hiding!

And yes, Hurt from Cash rocks better than the original.

Infidel
06-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Actually, it was the cover of TGS, lil' sis.. Big surprise, huh.

http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1748&page=5

Frenzy
06-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Reznor's rendition of Hurt was, according to him, about his battles with drug use. Johnny Cash's version, from what i can tell, is about how crappy his life was, and that he was saying good-bye.

They both pulled it off well, so i don't even think of them as the same song.

ShadowbaneX
06-27-2009, 07:31 PM
Damn, I've missed you Badger! Always glad to see you come back!

Firseal
06-27-2009, 09:55 PM
You probably think this is a joke, but...

Bohemian Rhapsody - by Queen

Covered by Weird Al Yankovic as 'Bohemian Polka'

Its the exact same lyrics... he doesn't change anything... But if you listen to the two back to back, they are as different as songs can be.

Oh, and Major Tom (Coming Home) originally done by Peter Schilling, and covered by I Hate Kate (the latter version I rather like more)
Smooth Criminal - Alien Ant Farm (originally by Michael Jackson)
Shameless - Garth Brooks (Originally by Billy Joel)

Davian93
06-27-2009, 10:29 PM
Wow, Cash brings Infidel out of hiding!

And yes, Hurt from Cash rocks better than the original.

Both are great...neither is better than the other.

GonzoTheGreat
06-28-2009, 04:59 AM
Have I mentioned that I can't remember anything about Labyrinth other than David Bowie's package?Actually, you also remembered the Escher like architecture. Or at least, you did when we saw a bit at the Escher museum.

Anaiya Sedai
06-28-2009, 06:44 AM
Heard this one on the radio again as I was driving back from the bank. I like Seether and while I'm neutral about the original (which is a step above most other music from the time) there's something off about this version. I think it's mostly that the guy isn't actually singing the lyrics, he's just speaking them.
:confused: which one?
*wonders if there's a seether song she missed*

Oh, and I like the Gimme More cover done by Machinae Supremacy :D

ShadowbaneX
06-28-2009, 01:29 PM
the Seether cover of Careless Whisper. There's just something missing from the vocals...like singing.

Gilshalos Sedai
06-29-2009, 10:07 AM
BTW, Careless Whisper was a WHAM! song.

Matoyak
06-29-2009, 10:34 AM
BTW, Careless Whisper was a WHAM! song.
Already learned that. (Frenzy would have beaten me otherwise :p) I think I posted that sometime in the second page...

And almost the entire "Nightmare Revisited" soundtrack is good.

Anaiya Sedai
06-29-2009, 11:19 AM
I like Seether's version of Careless Whispers.. :rolleyes:

and Weird Al Yankovic's version of Bohemian Rhapsody had me in stitches. LOL.

X.X.
06-29-2009, 11:54 AM
Deftones is one of my favorite bands and they've done a few "softer" covers over the years:

Simple Man - Lynyrd Skynyrd
No Ordinary Love - Sadie
Say It Aint So - Weezer
Drive - The Cars
The Chauffeur - Duran Duran
Please Let Me Get What I want - The Smiths

Some other covers I enjoy:
Nine Inch Nails' Hurt by Johnny Cash
Soundgarden's Rusty Cage by Johnny Cash
Paul McCartney's Live and Let Die by GnR

Song I'd like to see covered in a "metal/hard rock" tone -
Billy Jean - Michael Jackson
Take It Easy - The Eagles
Behind Blue Eyes - The Who (Limp Bizkit's version doesn't count)
For What It's Worth - Buffalo Springfield
Bungle in the Jungle - Jethro Tull
and a bunch of others...

Terez
06-29-2009, 12:00 PM
I would like to hear The Beatles' "She's So Heavy" covered by a band with a good improv guitarist.

Davian93
06-29-2009, 12:10 PM
I would like to hear The Beatles' "She's So Heavy" covered by a band with a good improv guitarist.

Not a big fan of Lenin and Harrison on guitar?

Terez
06-29-2009, 01:16 PM
Well, I have no problem with them but they sure didn't do much of anything with that song. Neither one of them was much of an improv artist, which is fine, but when you've got a song with a few solid minutes of nothing but chord changes, you need someone who can take a solo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne6ZZTfiQAw

Crispin's Crispian
06-29-2009, 02:40 PM
Well, I have no problem with them but they sure didn't do much of anything with that song. Neither one of them was much of an improv artist, which is fine, but when you've got a song with a few solid minutes of nothing but chord changes, you need someone who can take a solo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne6ZZTfiQAw
That's a really good point. Even if it's something subtle, since the song just lingers on and on.

It's kind of like "Layla" sans Clapton.

Terez
06-29-2009, 03:45 PM
That's a really good point. Even if it's something subtle, since the song just lingers on and on.

It's kind of like "Layla" sans Clapton.
Exactly. It's just one of the obvious rules of music - you can only do the same thing so many times in a row before people start to get bored.

Zanguini
06-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Exactly. It's just one of the obvious rules of music - you can only do the same thing so many times in a row before people start to get bored.

Not according to Pachabell (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM)

Terez
06-29-2009, 06:02 PM
Not according to Pachabell (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM) At least that one had some variations. Same thing on the cello over and over, but the upper strings do different stuff every time.

That was the early days of the variation form...I had to write a midterm essay on the evolution of the variation form in keyboard music. I had to focus on Bach's Goldberg Variations (later did another lecture for that in a music history course) but here is an example of an earlier and much simpler variation form by Bach (sort of like Pachelbel's canon, it's different stuff over a repeating bassline):

Passacaglia in C Minor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM1SLmASyhQ)

It's good stuff. This interpretation of it is pretty slow (hey, you could say it's a cover, but we don't know exactly what it sounded like when Bach played it...), but wow....I think I like it even better slow. :D

Pachelbel isn't the greatest example of "better than how the Beatles played ^^" but the canon at least had more variation.

PS - if you don't listen to the Bach thing at least once all the way through...you're missing out. That's all.

Firseal
06-29-2009, 08:20 PM
'Send Me An Angel', the one hit by the pop music one hit wonder Real Life, as covered by rock band Thrice (not bad) and again by Norwegien industrial rock band Zeromancer (strangely good)

'Moonlight Shadow' originally done by Mick Oldsfield, a pop song. Redone by... oh, dozens of people. Literally dozens. I like the Dana Winner dance version myself.

Also on the catagories of strangely appealing, UB40's 'I Can't Help Falling In Love With You' redone as peppy pop by A*Teens. Sue me, I have strange musical tastes.

'Paint It, Black' dark and dreary by the rock and roll legends the Rolling Stones, done as angry and loud and more uptempo by Vanessa Carlton, of all people.

'The Fever', done by Aerosmith as a hard rock song about good living without drugs (but still sex and rock-n-roll) redone as a frentic country song about a rodeo nut by Garth Brooks.

'Burn' by Tina Arena, a pop ballad, redone by country star Jo Dee Messina as a ... well, its still a ballad, but the flavor shift is is noticable, and frankly Messina's voice is far better suited to the lyrics.

Heh. This is fun. And for Anaiya (The only one with the courage to look up Bohemian Polka) Weird Al Yankovic does a melody of covers in the Polka genre once per album. He doesn't often reproduce a full song, but the weaving together and desecration of popular mainstream hits is often amusing

OOOO... we are doing instrumentals and internet music? Oh boy! It isn't quite cover music... mostly... but http://www.ocremix.org - video game music remixed, rewritten, redone by amatuers and the occasional professional and other internet monkeys. Some of my favorate songs of the last five years have come out of there. Summertime by Hale-Bopp has been getting good rotation in the last few weeks.

Crispin's Crispian
06-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Also on the catagories of strangely appealing, UB40's 'I Can't Help Falling In Love With You' redone as peppy pop by A*Teens. Sue me, I have strange musical tastes.
UB40's version was a cover of the original Elvis Presley song from 1961 (from the film "Blue Hawaii").

It wasn't a terribly original cover, either--they basically took the same song but added the classic UB40 pseudo-reggae.