PDA

View Full Version : Twitter addicts beware

Brita
06-24-2009, 09:22 AM
To Camel and other twitter fans, please be careful (http://ca.tech.yahoo.com/blogs/the_gadget_hound/rss/article/3656). :p

People, people, people. Web 2.0 can do a lot of things, but it doesn't change the laws of physics, particularly in regards to the transmission of electricity.

To wit: A teenage girl was discovered dead this weekend, electrocuted after dropping her laptop in the bathtub.

Why did she need a computer in the tub? So she could update Twitter. About what she was tweeting remains unclear, but it was hopefully something more meaningful than the soap she was using.

Maria Barbu, 17, of Brasov, Romania, is said to have been plugging her laptop into wall current at the time, after "the battery died during a long session on social networking site Twitter as she took a soak."

Additional details are lacking, and are unlikely to be forthcoming anytime soon. And it's unclear whether the laptop slipped from her hands or if she was so wet that the water dripping off of her closed the circuit and caused the shock.

Either way, any technology user should know by now that computers and bathrooms simply don't mix. (If you aren't worried about electrocution, think of the germs, won't you?) While GFCI circuits were designed to prevent tragedies such as the all-too-common hair-dryer-in-the-tub accident, they aren't perfect, and they aren't universal, especially overseas.

And seriously, can't Twitter wait until you get out of the bathtub?

Gilshalos Sedai
06-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Offtopic: Love your avatar, Brita.

On topic: Really? Twittering from the tub?

Sei'taer
06-24-2009, 09:32 AM

On topic: Really? Twittering from the tub?

"wow...I'm cleaning my breasts...and I found cheese!" ZZzzzZZzzZztttt

Sarevok
06-24-2009, 09:36 AM
This may be worthy of a Darmin award... :|

Brita
06-24-2009, 10:10 AM

Thanks. I had it up for the Tiananmen Square anniversary, and I was going to replace it, but now with the protests in Iran, it seems appropriate still.

JSUCamel
06-24-2009, 10:35 AM
I've Tweeted from stranger places. Still, what a way to go.

Oatman
06-24-2009, 10:36 AM
I can think of better reasons to be using a laptop in a bathtub.

What?

Sarevok
06-24-2009, 10:45 AM
I've Tweeted from stranger places. Still, what a way to go.
Stranger, maybe... but more dangerous?:eek:

Brita
06-24-2009, 10:46 AM
I can think of better reasons to be using a laptop in a bathtub.

What?

~~snicker~~

Hopper
06-24-2009, 01:37 PM
"wow...I'm cleaning my breasts...and I found cheese!" ZZzzzZZzzZztttt

If she found cheese in the tub, I doubt that this was the way she wanted it grilled.

Anaiya Sedai
06-24-2009, 04:20 PM
I actually know several people who do this on a regular basis.. I just posted it on one of their facebook pages.. maybe he'll take it to heart.

Davian93
06-24-2009, 07:41 PM
At least we'll be assured of a good harvest...

http://www.darwin.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/darwin.jpg

APPROVES

Zaela Sedai
06-24-2009, 10:17 PM
If she found cheese in the tub, I doubt that this was the way she wanted it grilled.

Wow...every fuckin thread.... you guys are awesome

Davian93
06-24-2009, 10:19 PM

Well, it definitely belongs in every "fuckin" thread. ;)

Hopper
06-25-2009, 06:15 AM

Sei'Taer We are the man.