PDA

View Full Version : Goodkind 's new series

Isabel
06-25-2009, 10:34 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: So basicly Terry is writing the same story under the label of 'thriller'.

The Law of Nines Terry Goodkind. Putnam, $27.95 (512p) ISBN 978-0-399-15604-5

Bestseller Goodkind (Confessor) ventures into thriller territory with results sure to please fans of his fantasy fiction. In the opening pages, Alex Rahl, the book’s unwitting hero, saves the beautiful Jax from being run down on the street in Orden, Neb., by a plumbing truck flying a pirate flag. Jax, who turns out to be from an alternate reality where evildoers are attempting to seize control of her civilization, has traveled to Nebraska to seek Alex’s help in saving her people. In Jax’s world, magic takes the place of technology, but on earth she’s stripped of her powers and forced to fight armed with only her trusty dagger. The author takes his time setting all this up, but once the story gets rolling, it’s a gripping ride as the bad guys whoosh in between their world, which remains unseen, and ours. Fantasy and thriller readers alike will find themselves swept along to the final confrontation and looking forward to the next installment. (Sept.)

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6665994.html?nid=3336

Terez
06-25-2009, 10:37 AM
hahahaha, that's hilarious.

Matoyak
06-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Did that review actually use the word "whoosh"?

Gilshalos Sedai
06-25-2009, 10:58 AM
Uh.... isn't Rahl Richard's last name?

Terez
06-25-2009, 10:59 AM
Yes, and the town in Nebraska is named after the Boxes of Orden.

Gilshalos Sedai
06-25-2009, 11:03 AM
*facepalm*

OK, Goodkind has just advanced ahead of all the others on my "I-hate-this-author-because-I'm-better-than-s/he-is-and-still-unpublished" list.

JSUCamel
06-25-2009, 11:05 AM
How incredibly original.

Isabel
06-25-2009, 12:28 PM
Hehehe, it seems he is copying from himself now.

Zanguini
06-25-2009, 12:40 PM
why would someone from an alternate future go to nebraska for the savior of all man kind?

Matoyak
06-25-2009, 12:58 PM
why would someone from an alternate future go to nebraska for the savior of all man kind?
rofl. repped. :D:D

Isn't Goodkind the guy that has a thing for rape fetish fantasy? That's how someone described him to me, once, IIRC.

Terez
06-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Yes, we've already edited the article on Malazan to reflect that:

The Rape of Rapes - Terry Badkind. Putnam, $27.95 (512p) ISBN 978-0-399-15604-5
Worstseller Badkind (Nutty Professor) ventures into rape territory with results sure to sexually assault fans of his rape fiction. In the opening pages, Alex Rape, the book's raping hero, saves the beautiful Neverraped from being raped by anyone else on the street in Unwillingsexualassaultden, Nebrapeska, by a raping truck flying a FREE RAPE flag. Neverraped, who turns out to be from an alternate reality where evildoers are attempting to deobjectivism her civilization, has traveled to Nebrapeska to seek Alex's help in saving her from COMMUNISTS. In Neverraped's world, sex-magic takes the place of technology, but on earth she's stripped of her Rand books and ALMOST forced to HAVE SEX WITH MANY MEN. The author takes his time setting all this up, but once the story gets rolling, it's a GRIPPING RIDE OF RAPE as the bad guys almost whoosh in between her legs. Rapist and Mentally Handicapped readers alike will find themselves swept along to the final confrontation and looking forward to the next RAPE. (Rapetember)

tworiverswoman
06-25-2009, 01:56 PM
a plumbing truck flying a pirate flag For this alone, I gotta give it props...

(oh, gods...)

Enigma
06-25-2009, 03:23 PM
And it will probably be a best seller:mad:

Zanguini
06-25-2009, 03:27 PM
a plumbing truck flying a pirate flag

For this alone, I gotta give it props...

(oh, gods...)

Mario Bros gone bad

Terez
06-25-2009, 03:45 PM
Well, some people at the Malazan forum proposed (and they are probably right) that this is actually intended to be a sequel to SoT. For those who finished the series or don't mind being spoiled:

At the end of SoT, the Boxes of Orden were used to create a new world for all of the good and magical people to live, because magic was being eroded by the chimes, and Richard's inconvenient relatives who could possibly breed magical talent out of existence nobly volunteered to stay in the world with the chimes, and also with the millions of murdering madmen that are the Imperial Order Army.

Anyway, this new series is probably set in the world that had the chimes and the hole-in-the-world descendants of the Rahl family (because only descendants of the Rahl family had this quality of passing on always-dominant genes that guaranteed that their children would not only be free of magical talent but also immune to magic). The Jax chick is probably from the new world that was created for the magical people.

Sei'taer
06-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Isn't that The Gunslinger series all over again?

The main story takes place in a world that is somewhat recognizable as the Old West but exists in an alternate time frame or parallel universe to ours. Roland exists in a place where "the world has moved on." This world has a few things in common with our own, however, including memories of the song "Hey Jude" and the child's rhyme that begins "Beans, beans, the musical fruit." Vestiges of forgotten or skewed versions of real-world technology also appear, such as a reference to a gas pump in a tunnel under a mountain that is worshipped as a god named "Amoco", and an abandoned way station with a water pump which is powered by an "atomic slug".

Davian93
06-25-2009, 05:13 PM
rofl. repped. :D:D

Isn't Goodkind the guy that has a thing for rape fetish fantasy? That's how someone described him to me, once, IIRC.

Yes.

I fvcking hate Goodkind.

JSUCamel
06-25-2009, 05:24 PM
Yes.

I fvcking hate Goodkind.

When you die and go to hell, you'll be locked in a room with Sarah Palin, Terry Goodkind and George R.R. Martin.

Terez
06-25-2009, 05:25 PM
Don't forget Hillary and Anne Coulter.

Davian93
06-25-2009, 05:28 PM
When you die and go to hell, you'll be locked in a room with Sarah Palin, Terry Goodkind and George R.R. Martin.

At least I'll get to hear the ending of aSoIaF...

I don't mind Hillary anymore, T. Coulter would be brutal though...I'm sure GRRM would take care of her and Palin Tyrion style.

Sinistrum
06-25-2009, 05:31 PM
He should change the title to A Copy of Atlas Shrugged Just Got Shat Out of a Horses Ass....AGAIN!

Davian93
06-25-2009, 05:31 PM
He should change the title to A Copy of Atlas Shrugged Just Got Shat Out of a Horses Ass....AGAIN!

Add in the word Rape and you might have a working title there.

Sinistrum
06-25-2009, 05:32 PM
That begs an interesting question. Does rape go before Atlas Shrugged or Horses Ass. ;)

Davian93
06-25-2009, 05:33 PM
That begs an interesting question. Does rape go before Atlas Shrugged or Horses Ass. ;)

Both...

tworiverswoman
06-25-2009, 06:17 PM
"A Copy of the Rape of Atlas Shrugged and Just Got Shat
Out of a Raped Horse's Ass....AGAIN!"

Just a little long for the book spine, though.

4Alethinos
06-25-2009, 07:00 PM
ROFLMAO! OMG! This is one of the funniest threads I have read in ages!

I got bored with Richard and his stinkingsword and his untouchable girlfriend long before the series ended. If that next book is real according the first post, it sounds so dreadful that it would almost, but not quite, be interesting to read that horror. I really loved Gil's comment. Good one Gil. hehe, snort, giggle.

"Bad authors never die, they just keep using up all of the toilet paper."

Terez
06-25-2009, 07:54 PM
From Westeros:

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/9797/tehlawofnines.png

Uno
06-25-2009, 08:03 PM
Never actually read anything by this Goodkind chap, probably because titles like Sword of Truth are enough to send me scrambling to other sections of the bookstore. Oddly enough, I have read Martin's book, but I only picked the first one of those up because I needed some in-flight literature, and there's not that much to choose from at airport bookstores.

DeiwosTheSkyGod
06-25-2009, 09:34 PM
I can't wait to read this.

Nazbaque
06-25-2009, 10:17 PM
Can I burn it after you've read it?

DeiwosTheSkyGod
06-26-2009, 09:34 AM
No.

Nazbaque
06-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Awwww please.

greatwolf
06-27-2009, 05:09 PM
I really need some alternatives now that RJ's gone. But it sounds like Goodkind won't make good reading after RJ. Anyone got any ideas out there? Preferably an authors as close to RJ's style as possible. I also liked Louis Lamour westerns.

Terez
06-27-2009, 05:24 PM
No one writes like RJ.

Zanguini
06-27-2009, 06:40 PM
you could pick up some of the Eddings es but thier dead now too
Sanderson is remarkably good as is Stackpole, Some people dont like robin hobb but i do... and its hard to go wrong with turtledove

Infidel
06-27-2009, 08:59 PM
If the smug douche bag in the mirror is Goodkind, he should take the sword and self-administer an Enema of Truth.

If you can find any H. Beam Piper, give it a try. More story than character driven, but quite enjoyable.

Isabel
06-28-2009, 12:49 AM
Greatwolf: every writer has his or her own style.

However, I do think that certain things in The name of the wind remind of how RJ would write. Use of mythology and things like that.

Otherwise just read any good writers both fantasy and sci fi:
-Reynolds (start with revelation space or chasm city)
-Brust (start with the Vlad Taltos books)
-Zelazny : Lord of Light
-Zindell : Neverness and the wild trilogy
-CS Friedman (especially stand alones)
-Robin Hobb (if you like her)
-Scalzi
-Stross
-Martin

Ozymandias
06-29-2009, 06:20 PM
you could pick up some of the Eddings es but thier dead now too

I liked Eddings' books, except for the women, who are, to a man (or woman, I guess!) completely insufferable. I always thought RJ had a bit of a sexist streak in how ridiculous caricaturized his females characters were, as until recently they were all cut from the same exact cloth, but Eddings puts that to shame with the sheer repetitiveness of his characters. Change their hair color, height, and breast size and every single female in Eddings' world becomes indistinguishable from one another.

On another note, I happen to really like LE Modessit. I like that his magic makes sense and isn't some random mumbo jumbo and hand waving. And how he explores multiple cultural, geographic, and temporal viewpoints. Even if the plots do get a little repetitive.

JSUCamel
06-29-2009, 07:14 PM
I liked Eddings' books, except for the women, who are, to a man (or woman, I guess!) completely insufferable.

I'm currently reading The Belgariad (finished book 3) and I have to say.. I'm not terribly impressed. I haven't decided if I even want to finish the series (and since I haven't decided, the answer is probably "No").

Don't get me wrong, he's a good writer. But it's like he actually paid attention in writing class. Everything he does is done exactly the way it's supposed to be done. You've got a Hero, a Journey, a Mysterious Bad Guy, all of the traditional archetypal characters. I imagine if I had read these books 15 years ago, I'd love them, but now it just reads like an early Dragonlance novel.

On another note, I happen to really like LE Modessit. I like that his magic makes sense and isn't some random mumbo jumbo and hand waving. And how he explores multiple cultural, geographic, and temporal viewpoints. Even if the plots do get a little repetitive.

I agree. His worldbuilding is excellent and I like how he sort of turns the cliche Hero's Journey on its head. It's still a Journey, but the Hero doesn't usually "save the world" or become king or whatever. Usually, the Hero's goal is to just protect himself and/or his friends. So instead of seeing Kings and Queens and Evil Badasses Galore, you follow one carpenter and his daily life and endure all of the obstacles and challenges that he faces. It's not epic, it's not melodramatic. It feels more real.

His sci-fi stuff is great, too. I'm re-reading the "Forever Hero" duology of his. And I highly recommend the Timegods duology as well.

Ozymandias
06-29-2009, 10:02 PM
And you never feel like you could substitute all the Recluce exiles in for one another and it wouldn't change the story one bit?

I think that Magi'i of Cyador and Scion of Cyador are two of the best fantasy books I've ever read. They're a little original, incredibly well written, and aside from Gathering Storm, all I want out of my literary life right now is to hear the ensuing story of Lorn, and the entire history of Cyador up to the point in the stories. I want Fall of Angels, just in Fall of Demons form.

Terez
06-29-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm currently reading The Belgariad (finished book 3) and I have to say.. I'm not terribly impressed. I haven't decided if I even want to finish the series (and since I haven't decided, the answer is probably "No").

Don't get me wrong, he's a good writer. But it's like he actually paid attention in writing class. Everything he does is done exactly the way it's supposed to be done. You've got a Hero, a Journey, a Mysterious Bad Guy, all of the traditional archetypal characters. I imagine if I had read these books 15 years ago, I'd love them, but now it just reads like an early Dragonlance novel.
Yes, he's quite open about that in the preface to the Rivan Codex. He had never written fantasy before, and he wanted to try it out, so he followed the 'rules'.

Terez
07-16-2009, 11:49 PM
Okay...this is really hilarious...so long as you don't understand German. Use the CC button to turn on the subtitles.

Hitler learns of Badkind's new series. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCuMN3ndh3U)

tworiverswoman
07-17-2009, 04:00 AM
LOL - "Pirate plumbers DO NOT COUNT as original material!!!"

That was great!

"No one can screw up a good vampire novel."

Oh, dear...

Belazamon
07-17-2009, 10:08 PM
Okay...this is really hilarious...so long as you don't understand German. Use the CC button to turn on the subtitles.

Hitler learns of Badkind's new series. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCuMN3ndh3U)Heh. Just saw that elsewhere today.

"Vampires are inherently cool."