PDA

View Full Version : Michael Jackson suffers cardiac arrest

JSUCamel
06-25-2009, 04:38 PM
LOS ANGELES -- Pop star Michael Jackson has been taken to UCLA Medical Center by ambulance suffering from cardiac arrest, fire officials confirm.

Los Angeles Fire Department Captain Steve Ruda said paramedics responded to a 911 call at Jackson's home around 12:26 p.m. He was not breathing when they arrived. The paramedics performed CPR and took him to UCLA Medical Center, Ruda says.

Jackson is renting a home in the Holmby Hills in the 100 block of Carolwood Drive off Sunset Boulevard. It is about two minutes from the UCLA Medical Center.

Family members have been called and are on their way to UCLA, sources say.

UCLA officials are not releasing any details about the pop star's condition.

Yikes!

Zaela Sedai
06-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Looks like he's dead

But not official yet, though TMZ is pretty reliable

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.tmz.com/media/rip.gif
Michael Jackson Dies

Posted Jun 25th 2009 5:20PM by TMZ Staff (http://www.tmz.com/bloggers/tmz-staff/)
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tmz.com/media/2009/06/0625_michael_jackson_ex2.jpgWe've just learned Michael Jackson has died. He was 50.

Michael suffered a cardiac arrest earlier this afternoon at his Holmby Hills home and paramedics were unable to revive him. We're told when paramedics arrived Jackson had no pulse and they never got a pulse back.

A source tells us Jackson was dead when paramedics arrived.

LaToya ran in the hospital sobbing, after Jackson was pronounced dead.

Michael is survived by three children: Michael Joseph Jackson, Jr., Paris Michael Katherine Jackson and Prince "Blanket" Michael Jackson II.

Jackson had 13 number one hits during his solo career.

JSUCamel
06-25-2009, 04:54 PM
http://www.tmz.com/2009/06/25/michael-jackson-dies-death-dead-cardiac-arrest/

We've just learned Michael Jackson has died. He was 50.

Michael suffered a cardiac arrest earlier this afternoon at his Holmby Hills home
and paramedics were unable to revive him. We're told when paramedics arrived Jackson had no pulse and they never got a pulse back.

A source tells us Jackson was dead when paramedics arrived.

Michael is survived by three children: Michael Joseph Jackson, Jr., Paris Michael Katherine Jackson and Prince "Blanket" Michael Jackson II.

Jackson had 13 number one hits during his solo career.

Story developing...

Davian93
06-25-2009, 05:05 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/25/michael.jackson/index.html

CNN confirms the cardiac arrest but nothing about him being dead yet. I doubt TMZ is wrong.

Davian93
06-25-2009, 05:22 PM
CNN (the TV one) has him in a coma with minimal functioning...i.e. they're using machines to keep him going but he's probably done for.

JSUCamel
06-25-2009, 05:23 PM
Yeah, I'm sure he croaked and they're waiting for a press conference from the family.

Also, from Twitter:

Right now, on Johnny Carson's afterlife Tonight Show, Farrah's giving up the guest chair and Ed is moving down on the couch.

Davian93
06-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Its official, LA Times just confirmed it...as has CNN.

The King is Dead.

Sinistrum
06-25-2009, 05:47 PM
The King is Dead.

I wasn't aware that there was a King of pederasty. Guess they have titles for everything nowadays. So what's the line of succession look like for the child molestation throne?

Terez
06-25-2009, 05:52 PM
He was acquitted, you know...

Neilbert
06-25-2009, 05:52 PM
^^ so was OJ.

I thought that the boys Jackson liked were pre pubescent.

Weird Harold
06-25-2009, 05:53 PM
The King is Dead.

Yeah, Elvis has been dead looooooooong time. :D But what's that got to do with MJ?

Davian93
06-25-2009, 05:55 PM
Yeah, Elvis has been dead looooooooong time. :D But what's that got to do with MJ?

King of Pop...

JSUCamel
06-25-2009, 05:56 PM

No way! I've heard people saying they've seen him around for years. No way the King is dead.

Mort
06-25-2009, 06:09 PM
Damn.. killed by a heartattack at age 50. Not cool.

RIP Michael

Sinistrum
06-25-2009, 06:40 PM
Good Riddance Michael

Fixed that for you Mort.

Ivhon
06-25-2009, 07:10 PM
I want Zombie Michael Jackson!

*does Thriller dance*

Davian93
06-25-2009, 07:14 PM
I want Zombie Michael Jackson!

*does Thriller dance*

Obligatory...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/14/Southpark_ep107_2.jpg

Zaela Sedai
06-25-2009, 08:52 PM
I can't say I'm sad...or surprised... it is weird though

Weird Harold
06-25-2009, 11:34 PM
King of Pop...
According to a couple of eulogies on TV, that's "self-styled King of Pop."

Interesting bit of coincidence, MJ's oldest son is also Elvis' grandson, so doubly descended from "The King."

AbbeyRoad
06-26-2009, 12:08 AM
I dunno. In Michael's heyday, he was top of every pop chart. Thriller set all sorts of records, when he was young he was the boy wonder, and he invented the moonwalk. Sure, it all went to his head and he went albeit pedaphilically insane, but retro Michael Jackson is/was undoubtedly the king of pop.

EDIT: It's late, I can't spell.

Terez
06-26-2009, 12:42 AM
He was a bit more than the King of Pop, really...all my academic snob music friends are giving props in their Facebook statuses, because pedo or not, he wrote some damn good tunes.

Frenzy
06-26-2009, 02:13 AM
He was a bit more than the King of Pop, really...all my academic snob music friends are giving props in their Facebook statuses, because pedo or not, he wrote some damn good tunes.
i bet Roman Polanski hopes people say the same thing about his films when he kicks the bucket.

So Ed, Farrah, and Michael. That's three, right? We should be good for a while.

Ishara
06-26-2009, 07:20 AM
You know...I'm sad. I grew up listening to Michael Jackson. We used to groove to his music (circa Thriller, 1982) in the kitchen all the time, my mum and me.

Regardless of his actions in life, he was a musical genius. And he was the King of Pop. Undisputed. Give me another artist who contributed as much as he did to the genre than he did.

He had a shitty childhood and what must have been a totally lost and incomprehensible adulthood. I'm not excusing what he may (or may not) have done. No excusing that. But I do hope he's eventually remembered for his early career than for his last 15 years of ... life.

And WH? All his children were from women who were not Lisa Marie Presley. No descendents from the "King" there.

Sei'taer
06-26-2009, 08:16 AM
I Always figured he'd go the same day as Liz.

At least he'll be preserved for all time. In a thousand years he'll still look the same....which is scary as shit if you ask me.

Also, since he's 99% plastic, maybe they'll melt him down and make legos so the kids can really play with him.....

Zanguini
06-26-2009, 08:48 AM
http://randysurface.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/michael-jackson-thriller.jpg

http://www.motherjones.com/files/legacy/riff_blog/mojo-photo-thriller.jpg

First album i ever owned.

Gilshalos Sedai
06-26-2009, 08:51 AM
R. I. P. Michael Jackson.

StrangePackage
06-26-2009, 09:00 AM
Yay, he made music.

This excuses him from the fact that he had sex with children.

I guess it should be said that I don't actually feel that way. I don't think that his personal failings negate the enormous impact that he had on pop culture, or the quality of the music he made. At the same time, those qualities do not make up for his massive personal shortcomings.

Burn in Hell, Michael. Thanks for the music, though.

Yellowbeard
06-26-2009, 09:21 AM
Michael Jackson...he finally...beat it.

Brita
06-26-2009, 09:27 AM
I guess he will always be convicted of being a child molester in history's eye, even if it was never proven.

I watched that controversial documentary on him, and came away with the impression that he was a very confused, damaged and lost man who had no idea the boundries he should place on his behaviour (i.e. having other people's children sleep in the same bed is never a good idea, no matter what you are actually doing, or not doing, with them). But I personally don't think he was a pedophile. To me he was trying to be Peter Pan, trying to pertpetually live a childhood he never had.

Obviously I don't know this, and I definitely could be wrong. I am not a drooling fan or have any ulterior motive for defending him, it is just the take I have on his sad life. Not all have convicted him of the crimes for which he was accused.

JSUCamel
06-26-2009, 09:35 AM
I agree with Brita on this. He was never convicted, and from what I've seen and heard of him, I don't really think he ever had any sort of malicious intent toward kids -- he was just stuck in his own mental Neverland.

Neilbert
06-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Whatever he was doing it certainly wasn't good for the children.

I feel like the only person in the world who really just doesn't care. Hearing this news got an "oh" from me and not much else.

VVV Yes, even if the description that leaves MJ most innocent is true, that's still traumatizing to a child who is struggling to learn how to set boundaries.

Davian93
06-26-2009, 11:46 AM
The most common view is that he was screwed over by a guy and his son that tried to weasel money out of him...even the mother of the boy didn't think MJ actually did anything to her son. Still, it will always haunt his memory.

Sinistrum
06-26-2009, 03:12 PM
He was never convicted

So? Al Capone was never convicted of murder, but strangely enough, I don't see anyone doubting Capone killed people. File the question of his guilt or innocence under the heading "Where there is horse shit there is usually a horse."

Yay, he made music.

This excuses him from the fact that he had sex with children.

I feel like the only person in the world who really just doesn't care.

Aside from a slight amount of schadenfreude I feel for someone I consider sleaze biting it, I can only pretty much ditto these two statements. I've said it before with Heath Ledger and I'll say it again. Just because someone is a celebrity doesn't mean I'm obligated to care about their death. So anyone want to talk about something truly important, like how the Spurs are cleaning up this offseason? :p

Ishara
06-26-2009, 03:33 PM
To be fair Sini, no one's asking you to care. ;) We're just expressing our own sadness. We know you don't have any. ;)

Although it bothers me immensely that while 300,000 people are protesting, the death of one man takes precedence. That doesn't strike me as right.

Sinistrum
06-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Although it bothers me immensely that while 300,000 people are protesting, the death of one man takes precedence. That doesn't strike me as right.

Thus encapsulating why I don't give a shit. People boo hooing over Michael Jackson is all more of the same cult of personality syndrome that most of pop culture is founded upon, and frankly I find it more than a little disturbing. There are far more important and better things to get emotionally invested, even on the bare surface level that most of you are demonstrating here, than the life and death of celebrities.

greatwolf
06-26-2009, 05:41 PM
So very saddening. I wish he had a happier life. I hope he did.

tworiverswoman
06-26-2009, 08:49 PM
File the question of his guilt or innocence under the heading "Where there is horse shit there is usually a horse."Tsk. And you a lawyer. Whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty?

I'm with Brita -- and I think it's incredibly easy to accuse someone (especially someone rich and famous, and ESPECIALLY someone as "weird" as Jackson) of a crime that condemns you to hell on earth even if 100% innocent. I am of the opinion that he really loved children - and not in a vile way, but didn't understand what behavior was not a good idea in the real world, as opposed to fantasyland worlds. "Peter Pan" is a fairly good description.

In addition - I remember coming across something once that laid the growth of the "Digital Age" at MJ's feet, as he PUSHED one of the manufacturers to go ahead with development of CD technology after someone got him to listen to the difference between a regular record and a CD of one of his songs. I don't know if it's true, but in the time frame I remember it from, he carried enough clout within the music industry to actually force such a thing through.

Sinistrum
06-27-2009, 02:36 AM
Tsk. And you a lawyer. Whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty?

Its in a court of law which is pretty much the only place it belongs. Sorry but I only ascribe it as a legal standard of proof that operates in the very limited instance of a criminal trial, not some end all be all ethical or moral standard of behavior. There are quite a few things in the real world, yanno that place that isn't a court of law, that are true regardless of the proof involved.

Most legal standards are nothing more than legal fictions designed specifically for the ficticious world that is a court. Apply them outside of court and they quickly fall apart under scrutiny. Once again, I will point to the example of Al Capone. He was never "proven guilty" of murder. So I guess under your standard Tru, that means he never committed it right?

Davian93
06-27-2009, 08:23 AM
FWIW, the gov't uses a "preponderance of the evidence" when determining things like suitability for employment and eligibility for a clearance. Its a lower standard than a criminal court (more like a civil court with damages) and its far easier for us to use to get rid of troublemakers.

Davian93
06-27-2009, 08:46 AM
http://in.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idINIndia-40637120090627

Jackson's death starts brawl involving knives...Only in Florida.

hippie-joe
06-27-2009, 08:47 PM
seriously, is it just me or does anyone else think this is getting too much press time?

i could care less whether he died or lived forever... i was never really into that genre of music.

i do know that the media tends to cover stupid stories when something big is goiing down, as a cover-up of sorts, that way when whatever makes it to the media it's done and over, a week past. the only ppl who know are ones there first hand and post online and ppl who find that posting.

that's one of the ways propaganda works:mad:

and then, maybe i'm just falling back into old paranoid ways of thinking.:confused:

JSUCamel
06-28-2009, 03:57 AM
First and foremost, news media are businesses -- they show what attracts the most eyeballs. Money is the primary concern, not "covering up" bad, evil things. Contrary to popular belief, they're not out to get you.

Second, a story shouldn't be shunted to Section D just because it's not a political story or whatever.

Third, Michael Jackson meant a lot of things to a lot of people, and he's one of the most famous people in the world. The fact that he died is a Very Big Deal(tm) to a great many people in the world. You don't have to watch the news if you don't want to, and you certainly don't have to read this thread if you don't want to.

Personally, I couldn't give a rats ass about the Super Bowl, but every year I have to put up with a few days of nothing but that.

Get over it.

Sinistrum
06-28-2009, 02:19 PM
Michael Jackson meant a lot of things to a lot of people

Next on sick sad world...

Weird Harold
06-28-2009, 02:38 PM
seriously, is it just me or does anyone else think this is getting too much press time?

presented wiyhout comment:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b318/sweetsubsarahh/famousdeathcartoon.png

hippie-joe
06-28-2009, 09:18 PM
that was fantastic GNR

Terez
06-28-2009, 10:32 PM
I'm glad I don't watch TV.

tworiverswoman
06-29-2009, 01:54 AM
and then, maybe i'm just falling back into old paranoid ways of thinking.:confused:Yes.

GonzoTheGreat
06-29-2009, 03:50 AM
I'm glad I don't watch TV.You're missing a lot of Michael Jackson that way.

I have to admit that I've been watching a lot less TV than I usually do in a weekend.

Infidel
06-29-2009, 05:54 AM
I saw Michael at Dunkin' Donuts in Keene NH this morning!!!

Zaela Sedai
06-29-2009, 07:59 AM
LMFAO... and Uncle makes his return!

~climbs up on lap~

Zanguini
06-29-2009, 08:04 AM
i wonder... was al capone ever charged with murder?

Sinistrum
06-29-2009, 12:49 PM
i wonder... was al capone ever charged with murder?

No, he went to jail for tax evasion because they couldn't get enough evidence against him to prove he murdered someone in court. Its a classic example of what I've had to tell clients over and over again. There is what you know to be true and what you can prove in a court of law, and the two are rarely the same.

Ishara
06-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Exactly. I always tell my clients that if it wasn't documented, it didn't happen. End story.