PDA

View Full Version : Those of you in Europe will doubtless be cheered

John Snow
06-30-2009, 06:10 PM
by this:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090630/sc_afp/eufoodfarmconsumer_20090630163438

To quote:
BRUSSELS (AFP) Bendy cucumbers, knobbly carrots and other strangely shaped fruit and vegetables, long the source of jibes over EU micro-regulation, will be allowed back onto European supermarket shelves from Wednesday.

EU Agriculture Commissioner Mariann Fischer Boel admitted Tuesday that the rules on the curvature and shape of produce were long-standing examples of "unnecessary red tape" emanating from Brussels.

"July 1 marks the return to our shelves of the curved cucumber and the knobbly carrot," she said.

"We don't need to regulate this sort of thing at EU level. It is far better to leave it to market operators," the commissioner added.

The changes also mean that consumers will be able to choose from the widest range of products possible.

"It makes no sense to throw perfectly good products away, just because they are the 'wrong' size and shape," she said......

Ozymandias
06-30-2009, 06:37 PM
The EU is a joke. Its thinly veiled protectionism for French farmers.

Ivhon
07-01-2009, 08:28 AM
*insert curved cucumber jokes here*

*insert knobbly carrot jokes here*

Ivhon
07-01-2009, 08:35 AM

Protectionism for farmers?

OMG...those bastards!!

We should do something! That's so unfair! How can we ever compete?

Davian93
07-01-2009, 08:37 AM
Damn Farmers.

Ozymandias
07-01-2009, 08:40 AM
Protectionism for farmers?

OMG...those bastards!!

We should do something! That's so unfair! How can we ever compete?

I don't care one way or another... American farmers could put them out of business protection or no. The American Midwest is the most fertile area on the planet. And the biggest.

I was just pointing out that for all of its claims of unity, other nations often end up supporting protectionist policies for the French and Germans.

Sarevok
07-01-2009, 08:46 AM
Well, apart from the protectionism, the EU sometimes does some good...

GonzoTheGreat
07-01-2009, 09:01 AM
And, when it comes up with silly ideas, it is legislating the shape of cucumbers, not something like DOMA.

Davian93
07-01-2009, 10:09 AM
I don't care one way or another... American farmers could put them out of business protection or no. The American Midwest is the most fertile area on the planet. And the biggest.

I was just pointing out that for all of its claims of unity, other nations often end up supporting protectionist policies for the French and Germans.

Though if the current climate models continue, we could be looking at a 2nd dustbowl at some point. That would be bad.

Neilbert
07-01-2009, 10:27 AM
If current trends continue we're looking at 1/3 of the arable land in the world drying up and blowing away.

Makes the dust bowl look like a bad joke.

The really sad part is that it's mostly due to over farming.

John Snow
07-01-2009, 10:42 AM
*insert curved cucumber jokes here*

*insert knobbly carrot jokes here*

Why do you think I posted this in the first place? :D

Jokeslayer
07-01-2009, 03:19 PM
Well, apart from the protectionism, the EU sometimes does some good...

orly?

Mort
07-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Good riddance. That has been one of the sillier micro management policies they have been doing.

I were against the EU when we voted for it, but I was too young to vote then... Now I see value in the idea of a common platform to come up with standards concerning things like education, makes it much easier to compare grades when wanting to take a job in another european country for instance. But the EU is doing more than I am comfortable with (still not sure I would want to have the Euro in Sweden for example), and some want to do even more, like the silly talk of wanting to have a superstate with an acting president. I'm glad not many seems to think that is a good idea...

Frenzy
07-02-2009, 12:31 AM
~facepalm~

yks 6nnetu hing
07-02-2009, 04:19 AM
hah, funny Mort, as yesterday was the beginning of Sweden's presidency of EU. Look at it this way: at least you will (probably) do a better job of it than the Czechs did. DEFINITELY a better job than the French made of the whole foreign policy during last summer's Russia-Georgia war.