PDA

View Full Version : Ya know its hot when...

Ivhon
07-05-2009, 01:53 PM
The weather forecast calls for record highs on a rainy day!

And you thought I was gonna throw out some scenario with Megan Fox, Lindsay Lohan and a sauna. Shame on you...

For the record over two straight weeks of 100-105+ broken by two days of rain at 95. Several more days of 100+ before it is called to dip back in the 90s. And its barely even July...

Terez
07-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Yeah, it's sort of weird after the unusually cold weather at the beginning of June. It wasn't cold here, but it was cold in Europe (and I think in the northern US and Canada too), and they said it wasn't normal weather for them.

Frenzy
07-05-2009, 02:45 PM
i'm glad you didn't mention Britney, Ivhon. You would've gotten gonzo all hot & bothered.

Ivhon
07-05-2009, 03:34 PM
i'm glad you didn't mention Britney, Ivhon. You would've gotten gonzo all hot & bothered.

Meh...you can't airbrush that chick hot.

Sarevok
07-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Yeah, it's sort of weird after the unusually cold weather at the beginning of June. It wasn't cold here, but it was cold in Europe (and I think in the northern US and Canada too), and they said it wasn't normal weather for them.
Uh, I can't remember it being cold here this month...

GonzoTheGreat
07-05-2009, 04:28 PM
It may have been in central Europe, but they're having fairly hot weather there now. And rather wet weather, too, in between the floodings.

JSUCamel
07-05-2009, 05:00 PM
It's been mid 60s to mid 70s in Chicago for the last two weeks. It's incredibly frustrating having to wear a light jacket in July!

Terez
07-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Uh, I can't remember it being cold here this month...
It was cold the week before I went to Amsterdam in Vienna, and it was cold at night in Amsterdam when I was there (especially the first night, which would have been Friday June 5 - I was actually shivering when I went outside to smoke, and I had a light jacket on).

Cary Sedai
07-05-2009, 05:21 PM
The weather forecast calls for record highs on a rainy day!

And you thought I was gonna throw out some scenario with Megan Fox, Lindsay Lohan and a sauna. Shame on you...

For the record over two straight weeks of 100-105+ broken by two days of rain at 95. Several more days of 100+ before it is called to dip back in the 90s. And its barely even July...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :p

~wipes laugh tears away~ Get used to it! Usually happens every couple of summers, and honestly even when it's not several days of 100+ in a row, it's still way to freaking hot, there!

(Course it's still hot here in Arkansas, I'm trying to get Zan to move to Alaska!)

hippie-joe
07-05-2009, 10:21 PM
It's been mid 60s to mid 70s in Chicago for the last two weeks. It's incredibly frustrating having to wear a light jacket in July!

you know what, eh? eh? screw you and your 60s to 70s bah! i wish it were cool like that here, it's been hot and humid ever sence i started doing construction again.
paw-tuie... i waive my fist at you:p

Davian93
07-05-2009, 10:24 PM
We took our Scotty for a walk early this morning (6 am give or take) and we had to wear fleeces. It was low 50's and very windy. Its been a very cold and wet summer so far...just like last year. I haven't gone hiking at all due to it as I'm sick of being soaked through on hikes (did that enough times in the army and last summer for that matter). It did get up to around 70 today but for most of the day it felt like a fall day...good times.

AbbeyRoad
07-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Meh...you can't airbrush that chick hot.

^ What he said.

And it's been freakishly hot here too. But then again, St. Louis has the most erratic weather of anywhere I've ever been.

DeiwosTheSkyGod
07-05-2009, 10:43 PM
I think 27/30 days it was raining in June here, but the sun's breaking through this week, finally.

Orc
07-05-2009, 11:09 PM
It's unusually cold for July here in Ottawa. Same for June. Supposed to be one of the coldest summers this summer.

GonzoTheGreat
07-06-2009, 04:19 AM
It was cold the week before I went to Amsterdam in Vienna, and it was cold at night in Amsterdam when I was there (especially the first night, which would have been Friday June 5 - I was actually shivering when I went outside to smoke, and I had a light jacket on).Well, duh!
You're used to living at the latitude of the Sahara, while Vienna and Amsterdam are in the middle of Europe. Of course there's some temperature difference.

irerancincpkc
07-06-2009, 04:36 AM
(Course it's still hot here in Arkansas, I'm trying to get Zan to move to Alaska!)
Now that Palin is leaving it's safe to do that again...

Terez
07-06-2009, 05:53 AM
Well, duh!
You're used to living at the latitude of the Sahara, while Vienna and Amsterdam are in the middle of Europe. Of course there's some temperature difference.
Yeah, well I didn't say it was unexpected for it to be cooler (as in, not as stiflingly hot as it surely was back home). The point was that, at least in Vienna, they said it wasn't normal weather for June.

Zaela Sedai
07-06-2009, 07:15 AM
22/30 days, DSG, and then the first 3 days of July we had some gnarly thunderstorms complete with confirmed tornadoes...in CT not the norm AT ALL. It's finally going to be in the 80s and sunny all week... I think I may die from shock.

Gilshalos Sedai
07-06-2009, 08:16 AM
Hot, humid, and DRY. No idea how you get humidity and drought, but there you go. High today is 95. Last week it was 105. All y'all complaining about cold wet weather STFU.

Zanguini
07-06-2009, 08:23 AM
we had three weeks of no rain and temps between 95 and 103
and it rains for the first time in a month on the 4th today its only supposed to be in the mid 80's the rest of the week in the 90's. we were dominated by a very strong high preasure system for a month now its pushed south ... but that means the gulf is open

Davian93
07-06-2009, 09:43 AM
Hot, humid, and DRY. No idea how you get humidity and drought, but there you go. High today is 95. Last week it was 105. All y'all complaining about cold wet weather STFU.

So I'm going to Dallas for a week in August for work...just how hot will it be there Gil. I know you're in Houston but I figure you'd have at least a good idea of that area as well.

Ivhon
07-06-2009, 09:50 AM
So I'm going to Dallas for a week in August for work...just how hot will it be there Gil. I know you're in Houston but I figure you'd have at least a good idea of that area as well.

Hot - bank on 95, good chance for it to be over 100. Dallas gets quite a bit of rain though...lucky bastards.

Davian93
07-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Hot - bank on 95, good chance for it to be over 100. Dallas gets quite a bit of rain though...lucky bastards.

~shudders~

I hate hot weather now...at least when I'm in work clothes.

John Snow
07-06-2009, 09:53 AM
^ What he said.

That's the Dark Mother, youngling...:eek:

Crispin's Crispian
07-06-2009, 10:34 AM
How unusually hot has it been in Portland? My father-in-law was visiting from the Gulf Coast of Mississippi, and he had to change from jeans to shorts. Twice!

Zaela Sedai
07-06-2009, 12:19 PM
I'm happy with the low 80's dry sunny weather we are having right now :D

And yes...careful Abbey, you'll end up with a steel toed boot up your arse LOL

Zanguini
07-06-2009, 12:29 PM
dallas in august is just slightly warmer than hell

Gilshalos Sedai
07-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Dallas isn't as bad as Houston. Less humidity.

Sinistrum
07-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Having gone there a week and a half ago, its still fucking hot up in Dallas.

Gilshalos Sedai
07-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Yes, but at least the sweat evaporates. ;)

Ishara
07-06-2009, 02:08 PM
My boyfriend is going to Austin next week for training. I am SO jealous, as it's been cool and rainy here as well. Bah.

Ivhon
07-06-2009, 02:14 PM
My boyfriend is going to Austin next week for training. I am SO jealous, as it's been cool and rainy here as well. Bah.

Weather is supposed to break a bit late this week....by break, I mean dip below 100. Dunno if that will happen, though or how long it will last. For example, it was supposed to be overcast with a chance of rain today....not a cloud in sight.

Terez
07-06-2009, 02:21 PM
How unusually hot has it been in Portland? My father-in-law was visiting from the Gulf Coast of Mississippi, and he had to change from jeans to shorts. Twice!
Yup, must be hot. :D

Matoyak
07-06-2009, 11:56 PM
It has averaged 107 here for the past two and a half weeks. Humid heat on top of that. It's been a pretty blistering summer so far. Even before those 107 Fahrenheit days, it was in the 90s for the majority of the early summer.
So far we've had a record number of seizures and heat stroke incidents at the Waterpark (I'm a lifeguard at a local waterpark, this is my third year)

AbbeyRoad
07-07-2009, 01:08 AM
That's the Dark Mother, youngling...

Ivhon is the Dark Mother of Theoryland? What happened to Frenzy? :p

GonzoTheGreat
07-07-2009, 04:42 AM
Ivhon is the Dark Mother of Theoryland? What happened to Frenzy? :pThere's the cucumber accident, but we generally don't talk about that.

Terez
07-07-2009, 08:54 AM
We talk about it all the time.

Gilshalos Sedai
07-07-2009, 08:56 AM
We have RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GonzoTheGreat
07-07-2009, 08:59 AM
We talk about it all the time.Apart from that little fact, do you have any evidence which contradicts my theory?

Terez
07-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Which theory was that?

GonzoTheGreat
07-07-2009, 09:01 AM
The theory that we don't talk about it.

Crispin's Crispian
07-07-2009, 10:25 AM
Or the theory that Ivhon turned into the Dark Mother vis'a'vis cucumbers?

Ivhon
07-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Or the theory that Ivhon turned into the Dark Mother vis'a'vis cucumbers?

*is skeered*

Ivhon
07-07-2009, 12:01 PM
We have RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hatecha. Beginning to think that the weather channel has lied to me yet again - was supposed to be upper 90's and rainy today. Now its already 92 and all rain is cancelled.

On a side note...local on the 8's is playing St. Michael music and even the weather channel is doing non-stop special coverage on St. Michael's memorial. God is surely smiling on him, since the weather is nice in LA.

Gilshalos Sedai
07-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Have you heard the joke about Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson?

Farrah got to heaven and God granted her one wish. She asked that all of Earth's children be safe.

Ivhon
07-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Have you heard the joke about Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson?

Farrah got to heaven and God granted her one wish. She asked that all of Earth's children be safe.

Yeah, I head that one. I also heard that the toxicology report came back. Turns out he died of food poisoning.

He had been eating 12 year old nuts.

Zanguini
07-07-2009, 01:03 PM
those have physically hurt me from groaning too hard

i hate it when it gets so hot it melts the bottoms of my shoes

Ishara
07-07-2009, 03:39 PM
Ugh. My bf told me both jokes last night. Not really that funny.:rolleyes:

Davian93
07-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Ugh. My bf told me both jokes last night. Not really that funny.:rolleyes:

Both are somewhat funny but not overly so.

Crispin's Crispian
07-07-2009, 04:45 PM
Both are somewhat funny but not overly so.
Jokes are like Megan Fox, apparently. Totally hilarious for some people, while others can appreciate the humor but are going to fall out of their chairs laughing.

Davian93
07-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Jokes are like Megan Fox, apparently. Totally hilarious for some people, while others can appreciate the humor but are going to fall out of their chairs laughing.

Very true...

Crispin's Crispian
07-07-2009, 06:00 PM
heh...now that I read what I wrote, I see I left out a "not." Hope no one gets confused.

Matoyak
07-07-2009, 11:00 PM
heh...now that I read what I wrote, I see I left out a "not." Hope no one gets confused.
I was mildly confused for about 2 seconds.

And my step-dad told my mom those jokes, and she exploded. She was pissed off because she "could not believe anyone would be such an asshole to make fun of someone who had recently died."

Honestly...I agree with her. I wouldn't have ranted about it for 10 minutes as my step-dad withered in the assault, but I do think it inappropriate. (Funny thing is, my mom always used Michael Jackson in her examples of "freaks you would not like to end up like"...her next-favorite on the list was Marilyn Manson)

tworiverswoman
07-08-2009, 02:31 AM
Everyone should move to Hawaii. We have "climate," not "weather.":p

We have our bad days, but our worst days can't BEGIN to compare to what I hear you all moaning about.

And yeah - I agree with Mato. Its pretty tasteless to make vile jokes about the recently departed. My opinion on MJ is still mixed, but I still dislike "guilt by accusation" as a modus operandi for this country.

Ishara
07-08-2009, 07:15 AM
Exactly Mato.

Zanguini
07-08-2009, 07:47 AM
hawaiians dont have the right to talk about the weather its in thier state constitution

Sinistrum
07-08-2009, 01:28 PM
I have no problems making jokes about someone who recently died if they were a complete scumbag. A la Michael Jackson. I happen to think those jokes are hysterical and they properly denigrate the life of one fucked up individual. If people don't want jokes like that to be made at their expense after they die, well here's an idea. DON'T FUCK CHILDREN. Dying has been the best PR movie Jackson could make, and the positive boost it has given him is the only tasteless and vile part of this whole situation. Just goes to show that the Cults of Personality we build around celebrities can truly lead to the worship of the despicable.

As for guilt by accusation, I will once again bring up the example of Al Capone. He was only ever convicted of tax evasion. Does anyone seriously doubt he killed people? There were only ever accusations about it after all. The same principle applies to Michael Jackson. What you can prove in court and what you know to be true are quite often different things.

Zanguini
07-08-2009, 01:50 PM
is stealing a grape stealing if you dont get caught?

Terez
07-08-2009, 02:10 PM
I think there is a great deal more room for doubt on MJ's side than on Al Capone's. Just because one guy got away with murder doesn't mean that every person who was acquitted of a crime is guilty.

Gilshalos Sedai
07-08-2009, 02:15 PM
OJ Simpson?

While I agree, Terez, there's more than just Capone.

Sinistrum
07-08-2009, 02:27 PM
And just because someone was never tried or was and acquitted doesn't mean they weren't actually guilty.

Terez
07-08-2009, 02:34 PM
OJ Simpson?

While I agree, Terez, there's more than just Capone.
Yeah, I know. I think that there is also a lot more room for doubt with MJ than with OJ.

GonzoTheGreat
07-09-2009, 03:55 AM
US Marines have been accused of being baby killers. That proves they're guilty too, doesn't it? :D

PS How did Wacko Jacko manage to hijack this discussion?

Neilbert
07-09-2009, 04:14 AM
Marines were tried and convicted for killing an Iraqi family, raping and murdering the daughter, and covering it up. I subscribe to the cockroach theory here.

So given a fairly broad definition of "baby", they are definitely baby killers. Not all of them by any stretch, but enough.

Ishara
07-09-2009, 09:36 AM
I'm afraid to ask. What's the cockroach theory?

Terez
07-09-2009, 12:52 PM
I think it's something about, for every cockroach you see, there's a hundred you don't see. Or something. That's my guess, anyway.

Sinistrum
07-09-2009, 01:27 PM
US Marines have been accused of being baby killers. That proves they're guilty too, doesn't it?

WHOOSH, and there goes my point, right over Gonzo's head. I don't seem to recall saying that the accusation was enough, and I can't seem to find the post in which I did either. So I guess you fail, YET AGAIN, in drawing a false moral equivalency. The thing that both the case of Michael Jackson and Al Capone have in common is there was quite a bit of "proof" that they did what they did. It was just never adjudicated properly in a court of law.

This is quite different from the accusations flung at the U.S. Marines in all but a handful of circumstances (such as the incident Neil brought up). The only thing behind most accusations of "baby killer" flung at the military are a bunch of anti-military hippy retards who have let their emotions override their common sense and inane ideas of collective guilt like the "cochroach" theory.

Gilshalos Sedai
07-09-2009, 02:32 PM
OK, and back on topic:

El Nino's back. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090709/ap_on_sc/us_sci_el_nino

Davian93
07-10-2009, 06:14 AM
OK, and back on topic:

El Nino's back. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090709/ap_on_sc/us_sci_el_nino

What does El Nino do again?

Ivhon
07-10-2009, 07:07 AM

Doesn't rain on Austin.

Forecast: Hot as balls without the dripping sweat.

Sarevok
07-10-2009, 08:31 AM
From the article Gil mentioned:
In general, El Nino conditions are associated with increased rainfall across the east-central and eastern Pacific and with drier than normal conditions over northern Australia, Indonesia and the Philippines.

Zanguini
07-10-2009, 08:49 AM
In the US it means Increased rain in CA, high probrablility of flooding, Fewer strong storms in the plains, Colder but drier than average winter for the north east and midwest, and more and stronger storms in the south but fewer named storms from the gulf or atlantic

Gilshalos Sedai
07-10-2009, 08:56 AM
It means this fracking ridge of high pressure that's currently roasting my garden might MOVE.

Zaela Sedai
07-10-2009, 11:13 AM
but fewer named storms from the gulf or atlantic

This would be fabulous since we have a cruise planned for 8/30 lol

Birgitte
07-10-2009, 05:13 PM
It means this fracking ridge of high pressure that's currently roasting my garden might MOVE.

Yay! Maybe I'll be able to straighten my hair again... I tried today; it's terribly poofy. How does my hairstylist do it?! ~shakes fist at sky~

Zaela Sedai
07-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Yay! Maybe I'll be able to straighten my hair again... I tried today; it's terribly poofy. How does my hairstylist do it?! ~shakes fist at sky~

I"m gonna tell you right now, try the Keratin treatment. My sister's hair was curlier and poofier than yours (no joke) and that treatment works wonders. She can actually straighten it now (couldn't before) and no poof!

Gilshalos Sedai
07-13-2009, 08:07 AM
Keratin ain't gonna work on B's hair.

Hair dryer, round brush, and patience, B. No flat iron, not until you're already done and just need to get a few kinks out. Think of it as your upper body workout for the day.

Birgitte
07-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Keratin ain't gonna work on B's hair.

Hair dryer, round brush, and patience, B. No flat iron, not until you're already done and just need to get a few kinks out. Think of it as your upper body workout for the day.

Seriously, doesn't work. I spent over two hours on my hair on Friday and it still wasn't straight. An hour of that was with the hair dryer and round brush. It ain't happenin'. And I definitely don't think it's worth the time.

Gilshalos Sedai
07-13-2009, 02:18 PM
You're right. It's not. Not if you don't have to go to an office and can put it up for work. I definitely wouldn't bother.

Ishara
07-13-2009, 03:10 PM
Um, what kind of hair straightener do you have? Cause I have to say that while a good one may cost the earth, it works wonders. And yes, a keratin-based product, like bio-silk is also a must.

You do NOT need to blow straight first. Put in either straightening balm (likely a yes, since there is frizz) and blow dry, but don't obsess with the brush.

Then straighten in very small pieces. Very small. Slow and steady.

Finish with a smoothing serum if there is still frizz.

Or - just do what the stylist does! Didn't you pay attention? ;)

Gilshalos Sedai
07-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Uh, Ishy... what works in Canadia, won't work in Houston. ;)

Zaela Sedai
07-13-2009, 05:33 PM
My sister's hair is far worse than anyone's hair who isn't of African decent... why wouldn't it work? I have straight hair so I don't know the difference between curly hair types... but that shit is a miracle worker for Cari.

Ivhon
07-13-2009, 09:40 PM
I believe this topic was to be a forum for me to bitch about the weather? Not a discussion of the relative merits of various hair vanity products?

Anyway. Back ON topic. One good thing is that I know what the weather will be every day for the next 6 weeks. 78 nightime lows, sunny and 102 during the day. It is amazing how many times we have had lows of 78 and highs of 102.

Sei'taer
07-13-2009, 10:10 PM
Anyway. Back ON topic. One good thing is that I know what the weather will be every day for the next 6 weeks. 78 nightime lows, sunny and 102 during the day. It is amazing how many times we have had lows of 78 and highs of 102.

Today we had a really nice rain come through. Temps inthe 70's while it was raining and then right back up into the 90's with all the humidity from the rain...it was great, I love sweating like a pig in the super high humidity. I did enjoy the cool part though.

Jonai
07-14-2009, 02:40 AM
It's been cooler than normal down here on the mexican border. It's supposed to hit 103 tomorrow or the next day but by this time we are usually banging 107-110.

Davian93
07-14-2009, 06:43 AM
It was 56 degrees outside this morning. Yesterday's high was 64.

Zaela Sedai
07-14-2009, 07:15 AM
yeah we dipped into the 40's Sunday night Dave, how bout you? It'll be 80 today, but I have a sweatshirt on now lol

Oh and :p to you Ivhon

Davian93
07-14-2009, 07:26 AM
yeah we dipped into the 40's Sunday night Dave, how bout you? It'll be 80 today, but I have a sweatshirt on now lol

Oh and :p to you Ivhon

Yeah, it was pretty brisk on Sunday night...high 40s from what I recall. I wore my Northface fleece to take my dog out for the bathroom so it was pretty chilly.

Ishara
07-14-2009, 07:51 AM
While we haven't had much of a summer yet, it gets damn hot here, both dry and humid, depending on where you are in the country.

Just making the point that a GOOD straightener should do the trick if it's used properly. No need to overdo the heat styling if you don't need to after all - just makes things frizzier later down the line.

Gilshalos Sedai
07-14-2009, 08:04 AM
I think the fact we're only 29' above sea level also works against those of us of the curly hair. Unless she wants to spend $200 for a Chi, she's stuck being curly. And being curly isn't a bad thing.

And :P to Ivhon, too.

GonzoTheGreat
07-14-2009, 08:11 AM
All right, I'll solve the hair problem.

The hair is poofy. Sprinkle cheese on it. Find someone who likes cheesy poofs, and ... Gonzo's Internet Dating Service Is Started. And if things get hot enough, you'll have grilled cheese in your hair.

Zanguini
07-14-2009, 08:22 AM
uh... american hair is nasty when you eat it gonz... im not too sure about european hair

Davian93
07-14-2009, 08:24 AM
And if things get hot enough, you'll have grilled cheese in your hair.

Bukkake?

Zanguini
07-14-2009, 08:27 AM
I think you might have to lose rep for that visual image

Davian93
07-14-2009, 08:30 AM
I think you might have to lose rep for that visual image

Ironically, I don't watch that type of stuff so I have no image in my head...silver lining I suppose.

Sei'taer
07-14-2009, 08:31 AM
Yeah, I'm with Zan. I'm de-repping a few times.

Frenzy
07-14-2009, 08:40 AM
it makes it rain on the west coast. a lot. and about damn time, too. It took an El Niņo to kick us out of our last drought.

it's supposed to top out over 100 today. Hope the dog survives.

Ishara
07-14-2009, 10:38 AM
LOL. I went to the states to buy my chi cause they were that pricey here. I think I got mine for $110 in Buffalo - they can't be $200! But yes, that's the quality I'm talking about. LOL.

And no, nothing wrong with curly. Curly is sexy!

Gilshalos Sedai
07-14-2009, 11:01 AM
That's what my co-worker paid for hers.

Davian93
07-14-2009, 11:02 AM
So, um, what is "chi"?

Gilshalos Sedai
07-14-2009, 11:06 AM
http://www.hairstraightening.net/products/n_CHI_hair_straighteners_69057.jpg

A super effective hair straightener. They're entirely ceramic.

Davian93
07-14-2009, 11:09 AM
http://www.hairstraightening.net/products/n_CHI_hair_straighteners_69057.jpg

A super effective hair straightener. They're entirely ceramic.

Oh...My fiancee has one of those...the totally ceramic kind. Expensive bloody thing IIRC. I thought it was a Conditioner or something else like a straigthener product.

Gilshalos Sedai
07-14-2009, 11:15 AM
Nope. I decided it wasn't worth it for me since it's VERY fragile, and my hair doesn't look good completely flat.

GonzoTheGreat
07-14-2009, 11:43 AM
I failed to kill the hijack? :eek:

Zanguini
07-14-2009, 11:50 AM
the only successfull hijackings involves snakes on a plane

Gilshalos Sedai
07-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Face it Gonzo, the chicks took over.

Zaela Sedai
07-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Chi didn't work for my sis, couldn't completely straighten it until after the Keratin treatments. Works great for her now though and no frizz :) Now she's the bitch that can wear it curly or straight...

Ivhon
07-14-2009, 01:47 PM
In a break from precedent.....104 today

GonzoTheGreat
07-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Face it Gonzo, the chicks took over.And the only ones who were sort of freaked out by my interruption were a couple of boys. Well, science does tell us that men are more visually oriented in these matters; I guess that in this case science actually knows what it is talking about.

Gilshalos Sedai
07-14-2009, 03:10 PM
Well, to be honest, I didn't go where Davian went. And uh, Thanks for that, Dav.

Ishara
07-15-2009, 07:32 AM
I totally went there. And then ran back here. LOL.

Mine has taken a few crashes to the ground with clumsiness to blame and has held up quite well. I live in abject fear of it conking out though! I have to say that even with the chi my hair won't go bone straight, but it certainly beats the blowing out (which I can't do anyways)!

Sei'taer
07-15-2009, 08:35 AM
In a break from precedent.....104 today

I'm trying to CHANGE THE SUBJECT!!! This is interesting...

Could the "Year Without True Summer" Mean the Coldest and Snowiest Winter in Over Five Years from New York City to Washington, D.C.?

According to AccuWeather.com's Chief Meteorologist and Expert Long Range Forecaster Joe Bastardi, cooler-than-normal weather this summer in the Northeast could point to a cold, snowy winter for the Northeast and mid-Atlantic states. He says the heart of winter will be centered over the area from Boston to Washington, D.C.

For people across the Great Lakes and Northeast, this has been the coolest summer in more than a decade. After a period of more classic summer heat in the coming weeks, cooler weather is expected to continue the trend of the "Year Without True Summer." For Southeast residents, the hot topic for the end of summer will be the tropics heating up after August 15th.

The Weather So Far this Summer

This summer has been unusually cool across the Northeast, northern Plains and parts of the West. Places like New York City and Philadelphia, which are typically warm and humid this time of year, have had relatively cool and wet weather instead.

While no single factor is taking responsibility for the unusually cool weather, the combination of El Niņo and worldwide volcanic activity over the past six to nine months may have played a role in causing this trend. The El Niņo is a global atmospheric event that takes place over the equatorial tropical Pacific Ocean. The warming of the waters in that area can result in pattern changes globally, having a major effect on the weather across the United Sates, especially during the winter months.

In years past, cooler summers have been followed by harsh winters. Temperatures in New York City did not top 85 degrees in June this year. There have only been three other times in recorded history when New York City failed to reach 85 in June. In each of those instances, snowy winters followed.

Chicago had 12 days in June when temperatures did not exceed 70 degrees. This has happened only one other time in 1969. That year was followed by a snowy winter as well.

Surprisingly, people in Alaska have enjoyed usually warm weather this summer with highs in the 70s and 80s. Fairbanks recorded a record high temperature of 91 degrees on July 8. The unusually warm weather across interior Alaska has contributed to an increase in wildfires. Almost a million acres have burned due to the persistent hot and dry weather conditions.

End of Summer Forecast

Bastardi says the current pattern of unusually cool temperatures in the Northeast and Great Lakes will persist through much of the rest of the summer. However, there will be a five- to ten-day period of more typical summer weather in these regions by late July and early August before temperatures trend cooler again.

People across the mid-Atlantic, including those in Washington, D.C., Baltimore and Philadelphia, may see more humid weather through the end of summer despite temperatures being slightly below normal.

Across the Southeast, more typical late-summer heat and humidity will prevail. The big area of focus for people across that region at the end of summer will be activity in the tropics.

According to Bastardi, the tropics will begin to heat up after mid-August. People along the Southeast coast and across the eastern Gulf of Mexico will especially need to be on guard. Quick-forming tropical storms will be a threat, leaving people in coastal areas with only a few days notice for preparation.

It is this lack of time to prepare that will be the big danger of this year's tropical season. People from the coastal Carolinas to Florida, Alabama and Louisiana should be ready well in advance to take immediate action if rapid-developing tropical storms threaten.

In the Deep South and southern Plains, the hot weather that has gripped Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Louisiana will remain throughout the rest of the summer. However, the heat should tend to be less extreme.

Along the northern edge of the heat, people across the Rockies, Midwest and Ohio Valley should expect frequent thunderstorms that could produce heavy rain and flash flooding. These regions have already had their fair share of these heavy storms so far this summer.

Thunderstorms should also begin to flare-up more across Arizona and New Mexico. Dry weather will be more the rule rather than the exception for the West Coast from Washington to Southern California. A higher wildfire risk could result.

A Look to the Winter

Bastardi predicts the current El Niņo will fade over the winter and will probably not play as much of a role in the overall weather pattern as one would think during a typical El Niņo year.

The areas that will be hit hardest this winter by cold, snowy weather will be from New England through the Appalachians and mid-Atlantic, including North Carolina. Areas from New York City to Raleigh have gotten by the past two years with very little snowfall. This year these areas could end up with above-normal snowfall.

While some parts of the Appalachians did have harsh winter weather in the form of ice last year, this winter could be one of the snowiest since 2002-03, when up to 80 inches fell in many places. Snowfall totals this year could reach between 50 and 100 inches. Last winter, the usage of salt was way up due to the number of ice storms. Salt supplies could be compromised again this year for state and local road crews that battle the winter weather. On the other hand, ski resorts could have a great year with plenty of powder for skiers.

Bastardi adds that the overall weather pattern that has prevailed this summer is pointing to a winter very similar to that of 2002-03, when major cities on the East Coast had above-average snowfall. Expert Senior Meteorologist Henry Margusity points out that in February of 2003, a major snowstorm paralyzed much of the Interstate 95 corridor, including New York City and Philadelphia. During the storm, airports were closed, roads were impassable, roofs collapsed and some schools were closed for a week, causing summer vacations to start late.

The storm track that could develop this year will bring storms up the Eastern Seaboard. This type of storm track will differ from that of the past two years, when storms tended to take a track farther west from Texas into the Great Lakes. That track into the Great Lakes brought unseasonably mild weather to the major East Coast cities, keeping them on the more rainy side of the storms. The track this year right along the Eastern Seaboard would put the major cities on the cold, wintry side of the storms.

A colder, snowier winter would mean an increase in energy bills, added snow removal efforts, more travel delays and extended school closures.

The Midwest and central Plains, which have been hit hard the past two winters, may end up with a lack of snowfall this year. Places like Chicago, Omaha, Minneapolis and Kansas City may have below-normal snowfall and could even average a bit milder than past years.

A warm and somewhat dry weather pattern is expected from the Pacific Northwest into the northern Plains. The typical barrage of winter storms that hit Seattle and Portland may not occur this winter and lead to below-normal precipitation.

The below-normal precipitation predicted for the Pacific Northwest could have "extended and severe ramifications" on the economy in a region that relies heavily on winter precipitation, according to Expert Senior Meteorologist Ken Reeves.

"A less stormy track through the Pacific Northwest, while on the surface may seem like a good thing, it is actually the opposite," Reeves said. "Winter snows supply water to the region throughout the year and also supply a significant portion of their power needs. About 70 percent of electric power generation in the Northwest comes from hydro sources."

The Olympics in Vancouver, British Columbia, from Feb. 12 to 28 could be impacted by the lack of snow and cold weather this winter.

A storm track into California and the Southwest means near-normal rainfall for Southern California. While some people across Southern California fear the El Niņo will bring harsh storms to the region, the fading of the El Niņo will lessen that risk and provide near-normal rainfall.

Davian93
07-15-2009, 08:40 AM
We've had 2 rough winters in a row now and this summer has been worse than last summer so I'm not looking forward to this Winter. We hit the -20s a couple times last year and it was below zero quite often the rest of the winter.

~shudders to think about it~

Gilshalos Sedai
07-15-2009, 09:10 AM
The drought is so bad here some ranchers are even praying for a hurricane. Anything to break it.

Frenzy
07-15-2009, 09:10 AM
the weather guy's last name is Bastardi?! Does he come from a long & distinguished line of Bastardis?

tanaww
07-15-2009, 09:13 AM
the only successfull hijackings involves snakes on a plane

And the only hijack with m'fin snakes on a m'fin plane involves Samuel L. Motherf-in Jackson. So I don't think the snakes were all that successful.

Ivhon
07-15-2009, 10:09 AM
the weather guy's last name is Bastardi?! Does he come from a long & distinguished line of Bastardis?

spontaneous Johnny Dangerously flashback:

Knock down thait wawl!! Knock down thait wawll!! And knock down thait fargin wawll!!

Ishara
07-15-2009, 11:07 AM
Yup. They're saying the same thing for around here. We ran out of places to put the damn snow this year....~cries~

Zaela Sedai
07-16-2009, 09:26 PM
We didnt get a lot of snow this year, it just NEVER melted. The piles in the city we there till like April lol

Davian93
07-16-2009, 09:31 PM
We didnt get a lot of snow this year, it just NEVER melted. The piles in the city we there till like April lol

We had a rough winter but it wasn't as bad (snow wise) as the year before where we broke snowfall total records. Still, I think we had around 120-130 inches total...not too too bad...just frigid all winter. And it snowed the last week of April for us which sucked.

Belazamon
07-17-2009, 10:07 PM
I have to say it's been damn nice 'round here all summer. I think we had a couple days that just barely broke into the 90's, but mostly we've been sailing on 70's and 80's since April. And the winter didn't really seem to be all that terrible either. Well, mostly - we did have a couple spates of negative temperatures, which hasn't been all that common in the winters I've lived here (Jiminy Christmas, has it been almost ten years...?!)

And my hair isn't curly at all. So, y'know, both topics in this thread addressed. ;)

GonzoTheGreat
07-18-2009, 03:30 AM
I'm not quite sure I've had 120 inches of snow in my whole life. Might've had, but then, maybe not. Probably not, I think.