PDA

View Full Version : So I Started to Read GGK...

Davian93
07-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks to Ishara for recommending him and pushing him repeatedly in recent book threads.

I bought A Song For Arbonne last week, read it through and enjoyed it immensely. I also bought Warbreaker but haven't started reading it yet. I went back to Barnes & Noble a couple days ago and bought Tigana. I'm only about 20 pages into that one.

Zanguini
07-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Im reading
Prisoner of Azkabahn
Eye of the World... I hope to be done with the series about the time i get to read Gathering storm.

picked up Warbreaker Saturday i will get on it when i finish with Potter

DeiwosTheSkyGod
07-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Ishara's going to be so happy!!!

Terez
07-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Don't read Ysabel till you've read everything else. Also, everyone on Malazan seems to agree that The Lions of al-Rassan or however it's spelled was the best one.

Cary Sedai
07-07-2009, 05:35 PM
I'm reading Half-Blood Prince, and depending on when Zan is done with his Potter re-read, I might be reading Warbreaker before him! :)

Ishara
07-08-2009, 07:14 AM
Heh. You'll be happy to know that you gave me my Monday morning squee Dav.

Arbonne is probably the least ... riveting... of them all. Which is good cause they get AMAZING instead of simply awesome.

You know, I'd be happy to mail you that copy of the Fionavar Trilogy Omnibus that I bought and had signed in person and then never got an opportunity to read before I mailed it to Wisconsin and then it went to Texas and is now, hopefully, somewhere in Washington(?). But, I don't know where it is or who has it. Sorry!

Tigana is utterly beautiful. Lots of shades of grey. I'm really interested in how you'll like it. Keep me posted!!

Orc
07-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Who is GGK?

Brita
07-08-2009, 10:41 AM
Woohoo! I love Tigana- my favourite GGK book so far. But I haven't read Arbonne, so I might have to swing by the bookstore later and give it a whirl.

Ishara
07-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Guy Gavriel Kay, a Canadian treasure. ;) Also, an author of fantasy.

JSUCamel
07-08-2009, 10:45 AM
Oddly enough, I haven't been able to find any GGK books in any bookstore I've been to.

Davian93
07-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Oddly enough, I haven't been able to find any GGK books in any bookstore I've been to.

They only had 3 of his books at my local B & N (Tigana, Ysabel, and Song for Arbonne). When I went back to buy Tigana there was only it and Ysabel and only 1 copy of each.

ShadowbaneX
07-08-2009, 11:07 AM
if you want to borrow some of his stuff I have Tigana and the Fionivar Tapestry...and I know someone that has A Song for Arbonne

DeiwosTheSkyGod
07-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Yeah, I had to order his stuff from Amazon. Borders never had anything of his.

Ishara
07-08-2009, 03:37 PM
I own them all, and will happily mail them to you to borrow, but you have to promise not to move cross country, and you have to promise I'll get them back in less than a year. ;)

Birgitte
07-08-2009, 03:50 PM
hehehehe... Would you like me to nag my mother for you, Ishara?

Gilshalos Sedai
07-08-2009, 04:02 PM
I've got all of them, too. But I'm not generous. You have to live in Houston to borrow them.

Ishara
07-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Seeing as I sent them to YOU - I guess so! :p

Birgitte
07-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Nuh uh... You sent them to HER. lol

RogueSavior
07-09-2009, 04:28 PM
I think it's probably Birgitte's fault.

ShadowbaneX
07-09-2009, 04:34 PM
I think it's probably Birgitte's fault.
well, you're wrong. Everyone knows it's DT's fault.

Ishara
07-10-2009, 07:43 AM
I don't care! I want my books!

Davian93
07-10-2009, 07:47 AM
I don't care! I want my books!

So I got about 40 pages or so into Tigana and it hooked me...hopefully it turns out well...the gratuitous sex scene shortly after didnt hurt either...giggity.

Does GGK have a musical background? Both books seem pretty indepth about music and singing, etc.

Ishara
07-10-2009, 08:05 AM
Not really (on the musical background). he's very into what makes a culture unique. So with Arbonne, it was the troubadors, which was in part music and poetry and chivalry. In gorhaut, they didn't have the appreciation of music or poetry or women, and so that was the defining difference between the two cultures. One was willing to stand up and die for beauty, and other was willing to stand up and kill for what beauty stands for (in their eyes). For the Arbonnians it was about what would be lost if they didn't fight. It was the cost of beauty. The price that was paid for having it in their lives.

In Tigana there's also an element of music (obviously Allesan and Devin are the clearest examples of this), but there is also other aspects of art in culture strongly present as well. Think of Saevar (Dianora and Baerd's father), of the poet whose name escapes me right now.

Really and truly, Tigana is about Memory. One of the easiest ways to invoke memory is through art, especially through music.

God I want to reread so badly right now! But I need my damn books back to do it properly. :(

Davian93
07-10-2009, 08:13 AM
He's a very good writer. He has a unique voice, something that can be hard to find in the Fantasy genre.

I can't believe I've never read any of his stuff before.

Ishara
07-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Squee!

Birgitte
07-10-2009, 05:11 PM
She doesn't have your address, Ishara. :) Give it to her and then begin to nag. :)

And I love GGK, but his books are so sad. The man writes some real heart-wrenching tragedies.

Ishara
07-13-2009, 07:35 AM
And I love GGK, but his books are so sad. The man writes some real heart-wrenching tragedies. Yeah - it's funny, I bawl every time I read them - every time - but I always walk away felling more fulfilled than other books where bad things never happen you know? GGK is all about the cost; the cost of power, the cost of love, the cost of beauty. I think that's actually one of the things I like most - that, and the open-ended endings.

tanaww
07-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Well, no wonder it's taken so long to read them! I don't speak Canadian!

Seriously: Can't mail books with no address darling. You know where to find me.

Ishara
07-15-2009, 11:10 AM
LOL. Well fine. I guess. <3

Davian93
07-22-2009, 05:41 PM
So I finished Tigana last night. You were very right about the varying shades in the book. Very good read.

Felt bad for Brandin by the end of it.

Ishara
07-23-2009, 11:00 AM
I know right? Despite everything...you do. But every time I think about that then I think about which tragedy is worse, and I can't decide between Brandin's fool or Dianora - I'm trying to avoid spoilers here because I have to say that I was SHOCKED with the the former. Dianora's was more a slow unfolding doom. Inevitable almost.

So, in comparison to other fantasy novels, what did you think of the open ending? It's a killer with GGK - you can't theorize, you just sort of wish...

Davian93
07-23-2009, 11:13 AM
I know right? Despite everything...you do. But every time I think about that then I think about which tragedy is worse, and I can't decide between Brandin's fool or Dianora - I'm trying to avoid spoilers here because I have to say that I was SHOCKED with the the former. Dianora's was more a slow unfolding doom. Inevitable almost.

So, in comparison to other fantasy novels, what did you think of the open ending? It's a killer with GGK - you can't theorize, you just sort of wish...

Completely and utterly SHOCKED.. STUNNED, I TELL YOU, STUNNED!!! I never saw it coming. It was awesome.

I, for one, loved the open ending. I loved the entire structure of the books, I loved not really understanding the nuts and bolts of the magic system. The limited perspective on things was great. I honestly liked Brandin more than any of the other characters and it was quite tragic in the end. He won me over with his comments to Dianora on the eve of the final battle. He genuinely was a good guy that simply couldn't get over his son's death.

I loved that his stories are more character driven and the magic is almost incidental for most of the major characters (Alessan, Devin, Dianora, etc).

I just started The Last Light of the Sun last night. Hope its good. Tigana was amazing though, I'm very happy I shelled out the $16 to buy it instead of borrowing it as I need to read it again now after knowing everything.

Gilshalos Sedai
07-23-2009, 11:16 AM
God, now I need to reread GGK. I've forgotten TIGANA! Of course, it was the first book of his I read. Wonder if my paperback is still in one piece.

Davian93
07-23-2009, 11:20 AM
God, now I need to reread GGK. I've forgotten TIGANA! Of course, it was the first book of his I read. Wonder if my paperback is still in one piece.

I'd put GGK up there with RJ and GRRM for writing ability. Very good overall. He's definitely on my list of top authors now...its been a long time since I read a new fantasy novel that really got to me.

Ishara
07-23-2009, 11:42 AM
I'd put GGK up there with RJ and GRRM for writing ability. Very good overall. He's definitely on my list of top authors now...its been a long time since I read a new fantasy novel that really got to me. Supersquee!!!

Yeah, I'm dying for a reread myself now! Must finish HP forst though..then perhaps a book I haven't read before...LOL. I'm looking at Middlesex.

Tigana covers the Sins of Good Men quite well. Brandin and Alessan especially. But you don't have to commit to total evil to do evil acts. Nothing in Brandin's life excuses what he did to Tigana (imo), and while I understand it, I think that it tipped him over the edge.

Davian93
07-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Supersquee!!!

Yeah, I'm dying for a reread myself now! Must finish HP forst though..then perhaps a book I haven't read before...LOL. I'm looking at Middlesex.

Tigana covers the Sins of Good Men quite well. Brandin and Alessan especially. But you don't have to commit to total evil to do evil acts. Nothing in Brandin's life excuses what he did to Tigana (imo), and while I understand it, I think that it tipped him over the edge.

****Warning: SPOILERS****

I think he was quite redeemable though, especially with Dianora's help. If he had won that battle, I think eventually he'd have changed his view....perhaps Dianora revealing to him her ancestory would do it, especially after she gave birth to a couple of new kids for him. He changed dramatically after the assassination attempt.

Ishara
07-24-2009, 07:09 AM
I guess I have trouble coming up with something that would be big enough to redeem him. Simply taking over the Palm wouldn't have done it.

So, I've been dying to know - what were your thoughs on Dianora?

Davian93
07-24-2009, 08:14 AM
I guess I have trouble coming up with something that would be big enough to redeem him. Simply taking over the Palm wouldn't have done it.

So, I've been dying to know - what were your thoughs on Dianora?

I liked her as a character. I wish she wouldn't have killed herself in the end as I'm sure Baerd would have loved to know her again and know her fate. Though, I think it would have been a pretty awkward reunion to say the least considering they were on opposite sides and he would probably have felt she was a traitor. I kinda knew when she was doomed once she brought the ring back up to him on the pier. She made her choice and it was clear that Brandin wasn't gonna win so neither was she. Part of the tragedy of Brandin's life is that he was genuinely good person who did a terrible thing and part of the proof that he was good was that Dianora fell in love with him and even saved him (physically and partly mentally) for a time. I thought she was a much better developed female character than Catriana. I thought Dianora was the one person on the Palm that could have healed both sides without bloodshed and its a shame that it was never gonna happen.

Ishara
07-24-2009, 09:28 AM
See...I vaccilate between hating her for being so weak and easily swayed from her life's mission, and pitying her for being dealt such a raw deal in life.

Would Baerd have seen her as a traitor? Almost certainly. When you look at how the scene in the marketplace shaped both their lives in such very different ways (and in my opinion, probably THE most riveting scene in the entire book), how could he NOT see her that way?

I think that Dianora was very young and easily overwhelmed by Brandin's power and charisma and personality when she arrived on Chiara. I also think that she likely fought her love for him for years, just as she fought to love him in spite of his actions. By getting the ring, she doomed him. Even if she didn't see it at the time. But ultimately my biggest problem with Dianora is that she behaves mostly selfishly throughout the book. It's not black and white, but she doesn't kill Brandin because of her own fears and feelings - not because he doesn't deserve killing. She doesn't act when she should and ultimately chooses the easy way out when she finally realizes that she can't win with the hand she's been dealt. Tragic? God, yes. Commendable? No. (and it has nothing with her being a whore or a courtesan.)

But really, how do you think she could have brought the Palm together? There was never a chance for Alessan and Brandin to stand together and shake hands. Never. I think for Alessan it was a blessing to never know the truth about Brandin's beauiful courtesan or his Fool - both would have killed him just as quickly as anything he may have ancountered on the battlefield. I feel the same way about Baerd. Better, I think that he lives his life thinking her gone then to find out what she was and who she loved.

But then, I think eradicating the existence of one's nation to be a dealbreaker. ;)

Davian93
07-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Honestly, I think the Palm would have been better off with Brandin running things than with Alessan's eventual leadership. Alessan dying might not have been the worst thing for the Palm

Ishara
07-27-2009, 08:36 AM
WHAT? Really?

Why do you think that?

Davian93
07-27-2009, 11:44 AM
WHAT? Really?

Why do you think that?

He's got more experience and he turned over a new leaf with his equaling of rights between Ygrathians and the citizens of the Palm. He also equaled out the taxes. He was doing his best to be a very fair ruler. He's also a powerful military force due to his magic and he has the same charisma that Alessan had as the extreme loyalty of his inner circle showed. Alessan was good at overthrowing a government but he has no legitimate gov't leadership experience. And he now has enemies on both sides with Ygrath and Barbiodior (sp). Brandin would have meant far more stability in the region.

Ishara
07-27-2009, 03:07 PM
Maybe...but stability at what price? He may have provided equal rights, but he was NEVER willing to back down from Tigana. That to me is the straight-down slope (no slipperiness there) to hell. For a ruler to act like that and for a nation to condone (which I do not think would have happened, given the fact that people not of Tigana opposed him for the act as well), an act like that - well to me, it's akin to the Holocaust.

Hitler could have been called an effective ruler as well. Still. (Don't mean to pull Godwin's law, just trying to find an action in our history that equates.)

Davian93
07-27-2009, 06:19 PM
Maybe...but stability at what price? He may have provided equal rights, but he was NEVER willing to back down from Tigana. That to me is the straight-down slope (no slipperiness there) to hell. For a ruler to act like that and for a nation to condone (which I do not think would have happened, given the fact that people not of Tigana opposed him for the act as well), an act like that - well to me, it's akin to the Holocaust.

Hitler could have been called an effective ruler as well. Still. (Don't mean to pull Godwin's law, just trying to find an action in our history that equates.)

Well...they DID kill Steven.;)

Ishara
07-28-2009, 07:24 AM
Ah. Okay then. ;)