PDA

View Full Version : Not uneducated just undocumented

123seem
07-08-2009, 11:55 AM
I have been as of late looking for new employment. I'm currently looking for something in the computer world but, every time I talk to prospective employers I get pretty much the same answer-"where are your certifications?". I know what i can do. Its just that I don't know where to test at for these so- called certifications. I spent alot of time at my local library going through tons of books learning as much as i can about operating systems ,terminology, parts, networking, etc. I pretty much built my neighborhood a whole networking community for free including building computers, setting up networks, and pretty much doing IT for all. I figured some of you might be able to help. Are there places i can test to get certified so i can get a descent job in this field without spending money i do not have for school?

Davian93
07-08-2009, 12:00 PM
This Forum might help better than us: http://www.techexams.net/

Good luck

ShadowbaneX
07-08-2009, 12:06 PM
or you could look up A+ certification.

123seem
07-08-2009, 12:15 PM
Thanks alot of the work i've been getting lately has had something to do invovling a hammer , wrench,and/or shovel.

Zanguini
07-08-2009, 12:20 PM
working for the mob never ends well

Ivhon
07-08-2009, 12:33 PM
working for the mob never ends well

lol

Crispin's Crispian
07-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Microsoft and Cisco both have widely recognized certification programs. You can get certified on Microsoft products through your local community college or computer training center (New Horizons (http://www.newhorizons.com/content/Certifications.aspx) is the big one that comes to mind).

Cisco is similar, but I think it's a little more broad-based. I studied for the CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) but never bothered to take the exam.

Just about every software vendor has a certification program, and they all vary in cost and material.

123seem
07-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Hahaha the mob, at least they might pay better!;) I'm just sick of going home hurting due to the fact that many pieces of my lower skeleton have been replaced by metal parts and manual labor does'nt help it.

Ishara
07-08-2009, 04:39 PM
Can you develop a portfolio maybe? Wow them with your skills before they get the opportunity to see you're not accredited?

JSUCamel
07-08-2009, 05:09 PM
That's basically what I did. I'm in the same boat. I'm pretty good at this web dev thing (if I may say so myself), but I spent 3 months doing nothing but web development and teaching myself as much as I could and building a web portfolio. Finally landed a part-time job, built up my chops some more, added more to my portfolio with both projects from the part time gig and from things I did pro bono, and eventually got a job in Chicago as a web developer for 9 months.

I got laid off in February, and I continue to do part time and temporary jobs in hopes that in a year or two, I'll have enough experience on my resume to land a job, even though I don't have a formal education in web development.

It's rough, especially in this economy. I'm pretty good at what I do, I think -- definitely better than some that have had formal training and degrees in web development -- but when I show my resume to recruiters, they say "Ah, entry-level." and then throw my resume away because it's not good enough to land a job, and why should a recruiter waste time on someone whom they can't place? Easy: they don't.