PDA

View Full Version : Blasphemy criminalized in Ireland

Terez
07-10-2009, 07:23 PM
http://www.independent.ie/national-news/libel-and-blasphemy-bill-passed-by-the-dail-1813479.html

Libel and blasphemy bill passed by the Dail

MAJOR new legislation reforming the State's libel laws and enabling judges to advise juries on the size of damages was passed in the Dáil yesterday.

The Defamation Bill, which also introduces a new crime of blasphemous libel, will come into operation after it is passed by the Seanad later this week and signed into law by President Mary McAleese (http://www.independent.ie/topics/Mary+McAleese).

The legislation, which the media industry broadly supports, also aims to ensure that the recently established Press Council (http://www.independent.ie/topics/Press+Council) operates as efficiently as possible.

It also enables newspapers to offer an apology without risking an admission of liability, and to defend libel actions by arguing that a story was in the public interest.
The new laws are expected to be in full operation by October.

In recent months, the stalled legislation was the subject of major debate when Justice Minister Dermot Ahern (http://www.independent.ie/topics/Dermot+Ahern) announced the introduction of a new crime of blasphemous libel. He argued that a new definition was required by the Constitution.

Under the changes, the maximum fine for blasphemy will be cut from €100,000 to €25,000.

During a debate on 33 proposed amendments to the legislation yesterday, Mr Ahern refused calls from Opposition parties to continue the debate today.

He claimed that TDs had debated the legislation "endlessly" since 2006 and it was now time to pass it.

"There is an understanding that it will and should pass before the summer.

"Many of the following amendments are simply a regurgitation of what members discussed on Committee Stage ad nauseam and of what has been debated in the Seanad and the Dáil over the past two years," Mr Ahern said.

Sinn Fein (http://www.independent.ie/topics/Sinn+Fein)'s Aengus O Snodaigh (http://www.independent.ie/topics/Aengus+O+Snodaigh) earlier argued that the legislation should be changed so that TDs who took a legal case or who were sued could remain in public office if they ended up bankrupt.

Under current rules, if a TD becomes bankrupt, they are debarred from elected office.

However, Mr Ahern said these concerns could be dealt with in the context of the ethics-in-public-office or electoral legislation. He did not adopt the Sinn Fein proposal.

wtf?

Brita, where has your Warder been anyway?

Uno
07-10-2009, 07:49 PM
I see. Something very similar almost happened in Norway earlier this year, or perhaps late last year (I don't remember exactly). Parliament removed the dormant blasphemy law, which hadn't been enforced for decades, but the cabinet's proposed anti-racism law included a provision against defaming religion.

My cynical view of it is that the old law symbolized special protection for Christianity (which is conservative and therefore "bad," even when it's not enforced) and the new represented protection also for other religions (which symbolizes multicultural progressivism, and therefore something "good," even though it restricts freedom of speech).

The consequence would have been that we got rid of an old law that only restricted freedom of speech in theory but got a new law that certain interest groups would do their best to see enforced.

However, the opposition shouted the entire thing down, so the cabinet found itself forced to drop the project. You can therefore still safely blaspheme in Norway.

GonzoTheGreat
07-11-2009, 04:38 AM
And, as the article states, blasphemy was already criminalised in Ireland.
If blasphemy is criminal, only criminals will blaspheme.

I have to admit that I'm wondering what kind of statement would fall under the heading of "blasphemous libel".
According to this article (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/0429/1224245599892.html), I'm not the only one to wonder about that:
In the only Irish case taken under this article, Corway -v- Independent Newspapers, in 1999, the Supreme Court concluded that it was impossible to say “of what the offence of blasphemy consists”.

Terez
07-11-2009, 05:14 AM
Meh, it was already criminalized, but it's also a crime on the books in many states in the US. There are lots of dusty, unenforced laws hanging about. But passing legislation like that in the modern era is a whole nother thing.

GonzoTheGreat
07-11-2009, 05:48 AM
Yeah, I know, which is why I'm happy it didn't happen in my own country. Despite a rather strong push in that direction from the Christian parties.

Light Ranger
07-11-2009, 07:40 AM
During a debate on 33 proposed amendments to the legislation yesterday, Mr Ahern refused calls from Opposition parties to continue the debate today.

He claimed that TDs had debated the legislation "endlessly" since 2006 and it was now time to pass it.

Heh, the reason that debates happen "endlessly" is because that's what legislative governments do. So if one person says the debate is over or some such, they're likely on the losing end of the debate. :P

Cary Sedai
07-11-2009, 09:56 AM
blas⋅phe⋅my  /ˈblæsfəmi/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [blas-fuh-mee] Show IPA
Use blasphemy in a Sentence
–noun, plural -mies. 1. impious utterance or action concerning God or sacred things.
2. Judaism. a. an act of cursing or reviling God.
b. pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton (YHVH) in the original, now forbidden manner instead of using a substitute pronunciation such as Adonai.

3. Theology. the crime of assuming to oneself the rights or qualities of God.
4. irreverent behavior toward anything held sacred, priceless, etc.: He uttered blasphemies against life itself.

libel - 6 dictionary results
li⋅bel  /ˈlaɪbəl/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [lahy-buhl] Show IPA noun, verb, -beled, -bel⋅ing or (especially British) -belled, -bel⋅ling.
Use libel in a Sentence
–noun 1. Law. a. defamation by written or printed words, pictures, or in any form other than by spoken words or gestures.
b. the act or crime of publishing it.
c. a formal written declaration or statement, as one containing the allegations of a plaintiff or the grounds of a charge.

2. anything that is defamatory or that maliciously or damagingly misrepresents.

–verb (used with object) 3. to publish a libel against.
4. to misrepresent damagingly.
5. to institute suit against by a libel, as in an admiralty court.

God Damn! George "W" Bush has sex with Goats! Religion is mind control for the masses! I am a god!

That covers everything, right?:p

I can't turn my mind to this in a serious way, or I shall depress myself greatly.

GonzoTheGreat
07-11-2009, 10:54 AM
God Damn! George "W" Bush has sex with Goats! Religion is mind control for the masses! I am a god!

That covers everything, right?:pAssuming that "Goats" is the correct pronounciation for the Tetragrammaton, yes. An assumption which is no more likely to be wrong than that of the Jehovah's, I would say.

Brita
07-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Brita, where has your Warder been anyway?

~~sigh~~

I wish I knew, T. I wish I knew. Last I heard he was starting his Masters last Fall. And that was that.

I have been abandoned in the cruelest way.

Terez
07-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Poor you! You should use your bond to rein him in.

Ivhon
07-11-2009, 04:19 PM
~~sigh~~

I wish I knew, T. I wish I knew. Last I heard he was starting his Masters last Fall. And that was that.

I have been abandoned in the cruelest way.

Hardly an excuse to quit posting. I did that and Im still here

Terez
07-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Kurtz has always been a sporadic poster. He just happened to be "back" for a bit when Brita was a noob.

Brita
07-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Kurtz has always been a sporadic poster. He just happened to be "back" for a bit when Brita was a noob.

~~sniff~~

Thanks Terez, you know just what to say to make a girl feel better.

Speaking of warders, if anyone is talking to Sarafelle, let her know I would like to speak to her about a little something....

Terez
07-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Your best bet is to talk to B, for Sarafelle. And talk to Gil to get ahold of B.

Enigma
07-12-2009, 03:47 PM
The constitution states that Blasphemy is an offence and shall be punished according to law which is legal speak for the constitution thinks its a crime but leglislation will work out the finer points like penalty and what exactly is Blasphemy.

Its highly unlikely that the DPP will bring any prosecutions under the new leglislation. While I have not read the new act personally I understand that there are quite a few loopholes one can use an a defence if it ever came to a trial.

The government's arguement is that their hands are tied by the constitution but by bringing in an act they can at lease make sure the offence is not too widespread or far reaching.

Only time will tell.

Anaiya Sedai
07-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Your best bet is to talk to B, for Sarafelle. And talk to Gil to get ahold of B.

or just get on msn.. :rolleyes:

Terez
07-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Or Facebook, now that I think of it. I don't have Brita on MSN so I don't know if she has it, but Sarafelle is in my Facebook friends list, and I'm sure a lot of others'.

Poor Dav, being passed around like a piece of meat...

Zaela Sedai
07-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Poor Dav, being passed around like a piece of meat...

Please, you know he loves it

Davian93
07-12-2009, 08:33 PM

Well...

Frenzy
07-12-2009, 09:37 PM
giggety

Anaiya Sedai
07-13-2009, 04:00 AM

my thoughts exactly :D