PDA

View Full Version : Are you guys all still alive?

Anaiya Sedai
07-12-2009, 04:22 PM
No new posts for about 11 hours in here? So not like you people... :rolleyes:

Oh, and did I mention I'm bored? :D

hippie-joe
07-12-2009, 04:35 PM
no kidding, when i first joined i was on here every night, it's gotten to where i'll skip a day here and there and still wont have missed much

Brita
07-12-2009, 04:38 PM
I blame it on summer. At least in the North, we have much activity to pack into a small summer season...

Nazbaque
07-12-2009, 04:41 PM
I may have overheated Gonzo's brain and everyone else is holding their breath to see what happens.

.... What? Just trying to grab the title of board killer.

Sarevok
07-12-2009, 04:48 PM

Oh, and did I mention I'm bored? :D
I was actually wondering the same thing...
It's always slower in the weekend, but really there's hasn't been anything going on here today. :(

GonzoTheGreat
07-12-2009, 05:06 PM
I may have overheated Gonzo's brain and everyone else is holding their breath to see what happens.Your timing is peccable*. A few days ago temperatures here were high enough (around 30) to have some chance of success, but that's over for now.

* Is that really a good opposite to "impeccable"? It sounds a bit odd, to be honest.

Terez
07-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Waiting for posts on weekends has always been rather boring to an extent, so I have gotten in the habit of hanging out at other forums on weekends, and reading stuff, not paying so much attention to Theoryland.

Sei'taer
07-12-2009, 05:23 PM
Your timing is peccable*. A few days ago temperatures here were high enough (around 30) to have some chance of success, but that's over for now.

* Is that really a good opposite to "impeccable"? It sounds a bit odd, to be honest.

No...better to say bad or terrible or horrible. It's like saying whelmed...you're either overwhelmed or underwhelmed, not whelmed.

I suppose you could say unimpeccable but it sounds really goofy to me...

GonzoTheGreat
07-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Funnily enough, both peccable and whelmed are actually words you can use, according to dictionary.com. Something I only checked after the fact, of course. Checking in advance would be cheating*.

* If you use a word in the way that I did. If you just use it to check your spelling, then it's ol-rite.

Davian93
07-12-2009, 06:33 PM
I blame it on summer. At least in the North, we have much activity to pack into a small summer season...

That's pretty much it. All too soon it'll be winter again (maybe 2 more months of warmish weather and its over) and there will be nothing to do but sit inside and watch the snow fall.

On that note: we think we found our wedding location this weekend. Its a beautiful bed and Breakfast in Warren, VT. Absolutely perfect location. We found it totally by accident too so that was cool.

irerancincpkc
07-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Summer and working on the weekends does tend to limit the online time...

I think the best things are always found by accident, dav...

Ivhon
07-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Cant talk. Research. Paper due Thursday.

cramcramcramcramcram

Zaela Sedai
07-12-2009, 09:03 PM
We're always slow in the summer Ana...you're just really bored right now LOL

Sinistrum
07-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Meh, I just like to have a life on the weekends. :p

tworiverswoman
07-12-2009, 11:57 PM
On that note: we think we found our wedding location this weekend. Its a beautiful bed and Breakfast in Warren, VT. Absolutely perfect location. We found it totally by accident too so that was cool.I'm not sure why, but I was given pause by the fact that "bed" is not capitalized but "Breakfast" is -- which might lend some idea as to the level of importance they hold to you.

Not sure about that, though...

Sinistrum
07-13-2009, 12:18 AM
Everyone knows the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Though a pitstop to the groin area can't hurt either. :p

Frenzy
07-13-2009, 12:42 AM
Everyone knows the way to a man's heart is through his stomach
i thought it was through the breastbone with a sawzall.

Sinistrum
07-13-2009, 03:03 AM
i thought it was through the breastbone with a sawzall.

Only if you're not looking to prolong the man's discomfort. Shesh. As a disciple of Semirhage, I should think you would know that. :p

Anaiya Sedai
07-13-2009, 04:58 AM
We're always slow in the summer Ana...you're just really bored right now LOL

Understatement :p I even managed to clean the house and put the washing machine on several times, as well as categorising all my baby clothes (by style, colour and size), and then, because I was still bored, I took it upon me to categorise J's younger brother's football trading cards....:rolleyes:

must.find.more.things.to.organise.and.clean.

GonzoTheGreat
07-13-2009, 05:21 AM
You could try sorting and cleaning the Internet. That should keep you busy for another day, at least.

Davian93
07-13-2009, 08:44 AM
I'm not sure why, but I was given pause by the fact that "bed" is not capitalized but "Breakfast" is -- which might lend some idea as to the level of importance they hold to you.

Not sure about that, though...

http://www.pitcherinn.com/

Have no idea why...typo most likely.

Zanguini
07-13-2009, 09:16 AM
Well i helped rearrange the living room and rewired surround sound speakers ... and watched a lot of harry potter other than that i really dont have an excuse.

Gilshalos Sedai
07-13-2009, 09:17 AM
I don't visit TL on the weekends. I barely look at the internet, period.

JSUCamel
07-13-2009, 10:59 AM
*hijack*

How hard is it to learn to play the violin, as opposed to say, the guitar?

GonzoTheGreat
07-13-2009, 11:04 AM
I think that for me, both would be equally easy.

Edited to add:
Do you mean literally opposed to each other, so that you would be playing guitar on your left side and violin on the right side at one and the same time? Learning that might be a bit harder, I think.

Gilshalos Sedai
07-13-2009, 11:06 AM
I think the hard part about the violin would be the bow and string. Guitar, all you really do is strum.

GonzoTheGreat
07-13-2009, 11:19 AM
Well, based on previous experience, I can't learn to play any instrument, so I can honestly say it wouldn't make a difference.

Sarevok
07-13-2009, 11:37 AM
*hijack*

How hard is it to learn to play the violin, as opposed to say, the guitar?
Well, considering a guitar has those thingies to indicate where to put your fingers, I'd guess violin is harder. :)

*says the guy who's only ever played the block-flute and saxophone*

Crispin's Crispian
07-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Edited to add:
Do you mean literally opposed to each other, so that you would be playing guitar on your left side and violin on the right side at one and the same time? Learning that might be a bit harder, I think.
You should check out Rahsaan Roland Kirk (http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?sid=49076552794&h=Z7DB8&u=pAOnT&ref=mf). He doesn't play guitar, but plays just about everything else. At the same time.

AbbeyRoad
07-13-2009, 06:27 PM
I've played both for years. Neither one is "harder." Guitars have frets, which makes it easy to know where your fingers go when you are just learning, and strumming is easier than working a violin bow, but strumming PATTERNS and finger picking, as well as bar chords, power chords, etc. are a lot harder on the guitar than the violin. You can think of it this way. When you are first learning, guitar will be easier to pick up than violin. However, the more advanced you get, the more difficult mastering the guitar gets in comparison with mastering the violin. Also, the guitar is more free form, less structured, and has more improvisation opportunities in solo's.

A lot of frat boys say they "play the guitar," but if you have ever seen a video of a true classical guitarist playing, you'd understand there's a lot more to playing guitar than strumming a couple chords. Not to say that the violin is easy to play (it is especially difficult to get a good sounds out of a violin), but there's a lot more to playing advanced guitar compositions than most people realize.

So, in short, I guess it depends on what level of musical proficiency you are aiming for.

Anaiya Sedai
07-13-2009, 07:21 PM
When you are first learning, guitar will be easier to pick up than violin. However, the more advanced you get, the more difficult mastering the guitar gets in comparison with mastering the violin. Also, the guitar is more free form, less structured, and has more improvisation opportunities in solo's.

A lot of frat boys say they "play the guitar," but if you have ever seen a video of a true classical guitarist playing, you'd understand there's a lot more to playing guitar than strumming a couple chords. Not to say that the violin is easy to play (it is especially difficult to get a good sounds out of a violin), but there's a lot more to playing advanced guitar compositions than most people realize.

So, in short, I guess it depends on what level of musical proficiency you are aiming for.

I have to disagree with you there. There are about 300 different bowing techniques at advanced level, not even mentioning things like left hand pizz. Try throwing your bow onto the string in a controlled manner, making it bounce exactly 20 times at regular intervalls and making that sound good, while playing in double-stopped octaves.
violin fingerings HAVE to follow a pattern, without threads, and you have to always think at least a bar ahead to know where your fingers and hands have to go, or you will get lost. And there are chords, even on the violin.
Intonation is much easier on a guitar, once you've tuned it properly, you hardly have to worry about it, whereas on the violin, it's still a constant matter to be considered.

Of course, the argument is pretty stupid, and neither side will ever back down. But having just majored in violin performance, I have to fight my corner here :D

I would have to agree with you on guitar being easier in the early stages. Guitars are also cheaper. Which might be a factor to consider if you're thinking of learning one or the other, Camel.

JSUCamel
07-13-2009, 07:27 PM
I would have to agree with you on guitar being easier in the early stages. Guitars are also cheaper. Which might be a factor to consider if you're thinking of learning one or the other, Camel.

Well, I'm already decent at the guitar. I was just wondering about the violin. I've just always wanted to learn. That and piano.

Anaiya Sedai
07-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Well, I'm already decent at the guitar. I was just wondering about the violin. I've just always wanted to learn. That and piano.

I find playing the piano harder than the violin. maybe that has something to do with the fact that I'm rubbish at coordinating 10 fingers at the same time in that manner.
If you have a soundproof room, or neighbours with nerves of steel/hearing problems, you should try the violin. lol.
It's not that bad, really. Just takes a little time to get used to the bowing coordination. Which can be quite trying on everybody's ears and nerves :D

Terez
07-13-2009, 09:51 PM
I see piano as being a lot easier than any string instrument, because everything is linear, where you've got a grid to deal with on the string instruments. But I've been playing piano since before I could walk, so I'm probably not the best judge, lol. There's certainly a shit ton of music that I'll never be good enough to play on piano. It's amazingly difficult to master.

Sei'taer
07-13-2009, 11:12 PM
I play the radio...and I am damn good at it.

Frenzy
07-13-2009, 11:53 PM
nesting much, Anaiya? ;)

Jonai
07-14-2009, 03:35 AM
How hard is the harp? I wanna be just like Asmo. In difficult situations I always ask myself, "what would asmo do?" Speaking of Asmo, who killed him??!!

Anaiya Sedai
07-14-2009, 04:32 AM
nesting much, Anaiya? ;)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: just a little :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I'm currently trying to find a new toilet seat and curtains.. and hopefully mount the TV on the wall downstairs above the fireplace.. maybe wax the dining table. Do some more washing. And shopping. I want new carpets, but that's not likely to happen. might get a few tubs of paint, though. :D

The other half used to always complain I wasn't tidy enough.. now I'm doing his head in with all the nesting. :cool:

Sarevok
07-14-2009, 04:44 AM
Hmm, if I ever learn another instrument, it's probably gonna be baritone saxophone. :D

Terez
07-14-2009, 05:00 AM
How hard is the harp? I wanna be just like Asmo. Well, the kind of harp that Asmodean played was probably more like a lyre. No one plays those any more - the only harps used much these days are the huge ones that you have to sit down to play. Also, the art of playing even those harps is not widespread. It's almost impossible to find a teacher (much less a harp to practice on). The old flute prof at my university used to teach harp on the side (she also played it) but she retired some years ago.

And Sare....it probably wouldn't take any real learning for you to play bari sax. It's the same fingerings, almost the exact same mouthpiece.

Anaiya Sedai
07-14-2009, 05:18 AM
Well, the kind of harp that Asmodean played was probably more like a lyre. No one plays those any more - the only harps used much these days are the huge ones that you have to sit down to play. Also, the art of playing even those harps is not widespread. It's almost impossible to find a teacher (much less a harp to practice on). The old flute prof at my university used to teach harp on the side (she also played it) but she retired some years ago.

And Sare....it probably wouldn't take any real learning for you to play bari sax. It's the same fingerings, almost the exact same mouthpiece.

I've always wanted to learn to play the harp.. but even at university, we didn't have a teacher, because we didn't have any harpists.. Now I've graduated, the first thing they've done is to employ a harp teacher because they have two harpists amongst next year's new kids.. :(

Terez
07-14-2009, 06:45 AM
There used to be a harp at my church when I was a kid, and I remember trying to play on it - it wasn't too terribly complicated, but I'm sure some technical instruction would have helped a lot. Also, there's a badass pop harpist that I need to find again...I forgot her name...

Sarevok
07-14-2009, 06:51 AM
I know. I've played on one from a guy in my orchestra. ;)

GonzoTheGreat
07-14-2009, 07:05 AM
Some possibilities:
-Joanna Newsom (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGViUabMt14&feature=related)
-Jessa Callen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud5RCHy7jI0)
-Sarah McLachlan supposedly also did it, but I haven't found a clip showing that.
-I don't think Britney would qualify, but if she did, then I wouldn't be surprised if you'd forgotten her name.

Terez
07-14-2009, 07:10 AM
I know. I've played on one from a guy in my orchestra. ;) Yes, I would have been rather surprised if you hadn't. But you implied that it would actually take effort to learn, lol...

And Gonzo, it was Joanna Newsom. Thanks. :D I remember now that her voice annoys me. But her harping is badass....

Zanguini
07-14-2009, 09:21 AM
I can play the clarinet, i can fake at playing the bass clarinet, and i could probrably figure out how to play e flat clarinet. We only played one peice in band that ever called for one and that was when i was a sophomore so someone else played it, but i learned a good number of fingerings. I could probrably learn to play the piano. Guitar is out of the question, my grandfather and stepbrother who were professional muscians said it was impossible for me to learn... shrug

Crispin's Crispian
07-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Yes, I would have been rather surprised if you hadn't. But you implied that it would actually take effort to learn, lol...

It does take effort, depending on what you played before. If you played tenor or soprano sax, the bari is in a different key. Not that big of a deal if you have the sheet music for your bari, though.

It is in the same key as the alto, but the breathing is different. My biggest problem was playing loud enough (oh, and not practicing enough) because I was used to the alto. I know I got louder on the alto after months of playing the bari, too. It was rather embarrassing, because the guy who played the bari the year before me only had one lung, and he was louder than everyone!

Sarevok
07-14-2009, 12:04 PM
(oh, and not practicing enough)
Yeah, I know that one... :o

Crispin's Crispian
07-14-2009, 12:09 PM
I swear, I coulda been great! LOL

Light Ranger
07-14-2009, 12:19 PM
Well, I played the double bass right up until high school graduation, only picked it up a few times since. Been about 4 years and it's still in the closet.

Terez
07-14-2009, 01:32 PM
It does take effort, depending on what you played before. If you played tenor or soprano sax, the bari is in a different key. Not that big of a deal if you have the sheet music for your bari, though.
psssh, the key is no big deal. But yeah - I never said it would be exactly the same. My main band instrument was trumpet. I was able to play any brass instrument other than trombone, though, and the differences between the brass instruments are much more stark than the differences in the sax family. For instance, the partials on horn (easy for me cause I have a good ear - not so easy for most trumpet players to pick up the horn, though), and the much larger mouthpieces for euphonium and tuba (not to mention required lung capacity). But those mouthpieces make a huge difference, because the developed muscle area of the embouchure is completely different (horn mouthpieces are a lot closer to trumpet ones, on the lip anyway, which is what matters). Sax mouthpieces, not so much. Even clarinet is pretty much the same as sax - the difference between playing clarinet and sax is probably comparable to the difference between horn and trumpet, respectively. Clarinet is more difficult than sax; horn is more difficult than trumpet (IMO).

Pretty much anyone can play a sax (no offense to sax players). I remember being able to get a pretty good sound on it the first time I picked one up, and I was also able to figure out the fingerings on my own (not too difficult, as I'm sure you know). Anyway, I have tried out all of the band instruments, and sax seemed to me to be the easiest by far.

Sarevok
07-14-2009, 01:38 PM
I've tried to get sound out of brass instruments... I've only managed to get one tone out of each. :(

I also tried a clarinet once, but didn't know the finger settings. I did notice it plays like a thicker reed on a sax.

And Sax fingerings are easy. :) I knew most of them from having played block-flute.

Crispin's Crispian
07-14-2009, 02:55 PM
I've tried to get sound out of brass instruments... I've only managed to get one tone out of each. :(

I also tried a clarinet once, but didn't know the finger settings. I did notice it plays like a thicker reed on a sax.

And Sax fingerings are easy. :) I knew most of them from having played block-flute.
Yes, sax is pretty easy, definitely easier than clarinet.

Still, it seems like the percentage of people who can get really good tone on a sax is about equal to clarinet or horns. In my high school band, it sure seemed like horn players were much more serious musicians than just about anyone else. At least in our band, the people that went on to major in music were horn or trombone players, or the one highly talented percussionst.

Terez
07-14-2009, 04:26 PM
The music majors from my school...I don't remember any horn players. There was me, a euphonium player, and a clarinetist in my class, but I don't remember any horn players from the surrounding classes either.

But yeah, horn definitely requires real musicianship. There's no way you can play it if you're tone-deaf...the fingerings are almost arbitrary, because the partials are so close together.

Zanguini
07-14-2009, 04:46 PM
my problem in band was that i had great drive and enthusiasm and tone. but sorry rhythm.

Frenzy
07-15-2009, 09:57 AM
i played violin in elementary school. i didn't like it; the strings cut into my fingers.

so i tried the flute. i didn't like it; i kept passing out.

my mom suggested the piano, but i declined. i was convinced it was going to fall and land on my head, and i didn't want to tempt the universe with "third time's the charm."

Now i play the ipod, and i don't even do that very well.

Crispin's Crispian
07-15-2009, 12:01 PM
my mom suggested the piano, but i declined. i was convinced it was going to fall and land on my head, and i didn't want to tempt the universe with "third time's the charm."

What the...

Were you playing piano in a tree, or something?

Gilshalos Sedai
07-15-2009, 12:02 PM
I think she was going the Wile E. Coyote route with this analogy, Doggy.

GonzoTheGreat
07-15-2009, 12:08 PM
What the...

Were you playing piano in a tree, or something?She managed to keep passing out while playing the flute. Now, I am a rather bad musician, but I doubt I could have managed that. If I had thought of it, I would have tried, to be honest. Might've gotten me out of the lessons earlier.
Anyways, with such a history, I don't think her fear is entirely irrational.

Crispin's Crispian
07-15-2009, 12:08 PM
Ah. That's the same reason I never became a blacksmith.

Gilshalos Sedai
07-15-2009, 12:22 PM
I know, right??!?! They're always falling from the sky for no good reason! How unsafe!

Belazamon
07-17-2009, 10:53 PM
Ah. That's the same reason I never became a blacksmith.I know, right??!?! They're always falling from the sky for no good reason! How unsafe!I have to admit, this juxtaposition made me chuckle. :D

Anyway, I play piano, and I have a guitar but I never actually learned to play it.

That's all I got.