PDA

View Full Version : 1 more day till HARRY POTTER

Zaela Sedai
07-13-2009, 05:28 PM
WOOHOOOOO!

I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!! I took the day off and so did one of the supervisors and we're going to the first daytime showing on Wednesday.... I shall report when I come home :D

DeiwosTheSkyGod
07-13-2009, 06:28 PM
I'm going at midnight tomorrow and I could not be more excited!!!!!

JSUCamel
07-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Who cares? We already know what happens. Dumbledore dies. Whoopee.

Anaiya Sedai
07-13-2009, 06:41 PM
It doesn't really compare to the book release for me, but I'm looking forward to watching it, when I get round to it. They did take their bloody time releasing it..

Davian93
07-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Who cares? We already know what happens. Dumbledore dies. Whoopee.

He dies from AIDS...because he's apparently Gay.

~ducks behind balefire proof couch~

Kidding!

Anaiya Sedai
07-13-2009, 06:51 PM

Kidding!

oh yeah, I remember that discussion.. wasn't that right after deathly hallows came out?

Davian93
07-13-2009, 07:13 PM
oh yeah, I remember that discussion.. wasn't that right after deathly hallows came out?

Yeah...Rowling threw a press conference or something to announce that a character in her book series (that was finished) was Gay, despite there being no hints or acknowledgement of if in the actual series. I smell "publicity stunt" personally.

Zaela Sedai
07-13-2009, 08:02 PM
oh agreeed about the book release, but the movies are all we have left!

Zanguini
07-13-2009, 08:11 PM
the fairy and i will probrably see it saturday afternoon.

one wonders if toz is such a big potter fan why she didnt answer my quiz

Zaela Sedai
07-13-2009, 08:12 PM
cause they were answered before i saw it :(

Nazbaque
07-13-2009, 08:36 PM

Kidding!
Crucio!

Sarevok
07-14-2009, 03:38 AM
I'm gonna watch it thursday evening. (wednesday evening was sold out :( )

irerancincpkc
07-14-2009, 03:57 AM
I will see it as soon as I can get my great grandmother there... she loved the books, like me, and always loves it when I take her to the film adapations.

GonzoTheGreat
07-14-2009, 04:49 AM
Yeah...Rowling threw a press conference or something to announce that a character in her book series (that was finished) was Gay, despite there being no hints or acknowledgement of if in the actual series. I smell "publicity stunt" personally.Of course, that was not quite how it happened, but then ... who cares for facts when false claims are more exiting, eh?

What did happen is that during an interview/book signing/something like that, someone asked about Dumbledore and Rowling said that he was indeed gay, and that this had been part of why the Grindelwald affair had been such a big deal for him.

Davian93
07-14-2009, 06:41 AM
Of course, that was not quite how it happened, but then ... who cares for facts when false claims are more exiting, eh?

What did happen is that during an interview/book signing/something like that, someone asked about Dumbledore and Rowling said that he was indeed gay, and that this had been part of why the Grindelwald affair had been such a big deal for him.

I just remember it being a controversy...I wasn't trying to start a huge fight Gonzo. I'm not a huge HP fan so its not really a big deal to me. For example, I've never read any of the books. I think I've seen all the movies though...

GonzoTheGreat
07-14-2009, 06:52 AM
I wasn't trying to start a huge fight Gonzo.Nobody ever seems to want one. :mad:

Ishara
07-14-2009, 07:48 AM
Nobody ever seems to want one. ROFL.

I started my reread late, so I won't be seeing it until next week at the earliest. Zae, you may be interested in this review of the screening in NYC (http://www.laineygossip.com/Harry_Potter_and_the_Half_Blood_Prince_movie_revie w.aspx?CatID=0&CelID=0). Lainey's a Canadian gossip columnist/ E Talk personality. I love her, and she generally has excellent recall re: movies.

But I AM psyched. I saw a clip of the "I killed Sirius Black" scene and got mega-chills.

Gilshalos Sedai
07-14-2009, 08:01 AM
We'll probably go on Friday night.

Zanguini
07-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Entertainment Weekly Cover.
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/covergallery/img/2009/jul172009_1056_lg.jpg

some others from EW

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/090709/Harry-Potter-cast3_l.jpg
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/090709/Harry-Potter-cast_l.jpg
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/090709/Harry-Potter-cast2_l.jpg

poor ginny looks like she is lost

irerancincpkc
07-14-2009, 09:11 PM
I, for the life of me, cannot see Ginny from the books in that poor actress...

DeiwosTheSkyGod
07-15-2009, 02:41 AM
That movie was so overtly sexual! Seriously - why is Hermione wiping white stuff off her mouth at three different occasions? And when Ginny bent down to tie Harry's shoes, I thought were about to see her make grilled cheese.

Ishara
07-15-2009, 07:42 AM
I just saw a clip of McLaggen licking his finger in front of Hermione...blech.

Gilshalos Sedai
07-15-2009, 09:04 AM
DC, you talking about the Half Blood Prince?

Tamyrlin
07-15-2009, 10:41 AM
Way too much time on love stories, not enough time with the half-blood prince side of the story. The end of Dumbledore...just didn't seem as dramatic as the book made it out to be. Overall, not one of my favorites. I'm hoping they do a much better job with the pacing of the final two movies.

Gilshalos Sedai
07-15-2009, 10:42 AM
Well, the entire series is kinda based on a love story. That of Severus Snape for Lily Potter.

irerancincpkc
07-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Well, the entire series is kinda based on a love story. That of Severus Snape for Lily Potter.
I'm thinking you're giving Snape a little too much credit there...

Gilshalos Sedai
07-15-2009, 11:01 AM
Uh... You never read the last book then. He became a spy for the Order when he learned what side she'd chosen and protected Harry, despite hating him for being James Potter's son because he was also Lily's son. He resumed spying for the Order because Voldy killed Lily.

Snape's a far more complex character, given his actions, than Harry is privy to. No matter how special Harry is, he only sees the world through the eyes of a child, and until the end, Snape's actions are unfathomable to Harry.

irerancincpkc
07-15-2009, 11:06 AM
I have read the last book, and I just don't think the whole series was based on Snapes actions. An important part of it, yes, but over-rated, I think. But that's me. :cool:

Gilshalos Sedai
07-15-2009, 11:21 AM
I said KINDA. When did that start meanining TOTALLY?

irerancincpkc
07-15-2009, 11:26 AM
I said KINDA. When did that start meanining TOTALLY?
My bad, sorry. :) I'll blame it my jumping on that unfairly on my hatred of Snape... :D

Gilshalos Sedai
07-15-2009, 11:26 AM
Forgiven. Alan Rickman's the only reason to like him.

irerancincpkc
07-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Forgiven. Alan Rickman's the only reason to like him.
Alan Rickman can do no wrong, at least of what I've seen. The care he takes in speaking each line is amazing, and his increased presence in the Half Blood Prince is the main reason I'm -really- looking forward to it.

Gilshalos Sedai
07-15-2009, 11:33 AM
I've adored that man's work since Die Hard.

DeiwosTheSkyGod
07-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Yeah, Gil, I was talking about HPB.

They definitely upped the romance factor compared to the book, but I think it worked. They might have been compensating for a plot that probably wouldn't have translated very well onto screen verbatim. The Harry/Ginny part seemed more realistic in the movie, I think; it was more gradual and developed. And they made Lavender RIDICULOUS, which was funny.

Alan Rickman's actually not in it as much as you'd think, and the big stuff at the end actually felt a little anticlimactic.

Not my favorite either, but I actually think that the three leads have improved their acting in this one, especially Emma Watson.

Sarevok
07-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Hmm, I remember Snape was protecting Harry most of the time, but I can't remember how that matched with him killing Dumbledore...
Guess I should read book 7 again... :(

Or someone here tell me. :)

Davian93
07-15-2009, 11:37 AM
I've adored that man's work since Die Hard.

Best Action Movie Ever. The original Die Hard has never been surpassed as an action movie. Rickman is awesome in it.

Isn't he a Shakespearan stage actor or something? I mean in addition to movies...he's great in everything he's ever been in, no matter how silly (Dogma).

irerancincpkc
07-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Yeah, I know he was in a production of Romeo and Juliett, and I think he was in some other plays...

Die Hard, Harry Potter, and Sweeny Todd. Awesomeness. :D

Gilshalos Sedai
07-15-2009, 11:42 AM
And he will always be the Sherriff of Nottingham.

Davian93
07-15-2009, 11:44 AM
And he will always be the Sherriff of Nottingham.

"Why a spoon, cousin?"

Gilshalos Sedai
07-15-2009, 11:48 AM
"Because it'll hurt more, you twit!"

GonzoTheGreat
07-15-2009, 12:08 PM
Hmm, I remember Snape was protecting Harry most of the time, but I can't remember how that matched with him killing Dumbledore...Was more a matter of protecting Malfoy, and giving Dumbledore a quick death at the same time. As you may remember, Dumbledore had been having a rather prolonged series of death scenes (wounded hand, injured hand, badly wounded hand, and so forth) for quite a while already. Something like a Wagnerian opera, only he didn't sing.

Zanguini
07-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Spoilers ahead.. mind the big rocks.

All in all I think it was pretty good. Logically i knew they couldnt put the feeling of the book into the movie. However there were parts omitted that i would have liked to see. And there were parts which they could have done better on.

Omitted
1. No Dursleys
2. No "other minister"
3. I would have liked to see another of toms memories.
4. I would have liked to see another quiditch game.

Done Different.
1. I think the fight between Potter and Snape could have been longer.
2. I dont think they played Potters obsession with Malfoy up enough.

Things that were spot on.
1. Lavender Brown
2. Slughorn
3. the cave.

I do believe they tried to carry the intent of the book. Which was a little humorous and comical with an overlying since of dread.

tanaww
07-16-2009, 12:03 PM
Way too much time on love stories, not enough time with the half-blood prince side of the story. The end of Dumbledore...just didn't seem as dramatic as the book made it out to be. Overall, not one of my favorites. I'm hoping they do a much better job with the pacing of the final two movies.

So glad I am not the only one. The boys liked it though. Worth the five bucks plus I got to have popcorn for lunch.

Sarevok
07-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Just saw the movie. Not that good, IMO.

They could have done better if they'd made it two movies. :(

Also, could someone explain this:
During Slughorn's first dinner party, Ginny comes in a little late. Right when she sat down, the theater burst out laughing. It gave me the feeling I missed something... Dit I?:confused:

Ozymandias
07-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Alan Rickman can do no wrong, at least of what I've seen. The care he takes in speaking each line is amazing, and his increased presence in the Half Blood Prince is the main reason I'm -really- looking forward to it.

Alan Rickman is a God. I will not have you profane His name like this. Even speaking of an acting performance of his is Forbidden. Yes, Forbidden, with a capital F, as in you'll go to Hell if you do (a Hell in which you can never hear his soothing voice again).

By far my favorite actor ever, and a more talented one than even Sir Laurence.

Man... just thinking of him makes me want a grilled cheese. Or even perhaps making him one.

Zaela Sedai
07-16-2009, 09:13 PM
If you don't compare it to the book, the movie was great. But I already had this convo on Vent lol... and me and Bryan agree (in theory he hasn't seen it yet) so that means it must be so....

He makes Dogma great too

Sarevok
07-17-2009, 01:56 AM
Also, could someone explain this:
During Slughorn's first dinner party, Ginny comes in a little late. Right when she sat down, the theater burst out laughing. It gave me the feeling I missed something... Dit I?:confused:
Someone anser this? Please?
It's driving me crazy not knowing what I missed. :(

Ishara
07-17-2009, 07:49 AM
haven't seen it yet...

But has anyone seen the Family Guy with Alan Rickman (but not really him)?

"Hello Alan. It is Alan Rickman. Do not forget to leave the chicken in the fridge to thaw for dinner. Do not disappoint me."

"Hello again Alan. It is Alan Rickman. Do not forget to tell that joke abot the bunny at that party."

Bwah ha ha!

Zanguini
07-17-2009, 08:16 AM
sare
Everybody laughs cause its funny... when Ginny comes in Potter stands up... he is the only one to do so... Hermione gives him a funny look... It goes towards the movie poking a harry cause he has fallen for ginny and is trying to hide it ... but is doing a poor job

Sarevok
07-17-2009, 08:20 AM
Well, I got that much, but right when she sat down, everyone burst out laughing... There must have been something else, 'cause it wasn't THAT funny. I mean, it was the loudest burst of laughter of the entire movie. :confused:
Anyone else?

Gilshalos Sedai
07-17-2009, 08:23 AM
I'll let you know after tonight.

Zanguini
07-17-2009, 08:33 AM
the funniest bit about the movie was felix felises....

Maybe Sare there wasn't a reason... you were in a theater filled with the Dutch

Belazamon
07-17-2009, 10:16 PM
As for the movie... it was alright. I was kind of mystified by some of the choices they made, but oh well. Oh, but it would have been bloody nice if they'd even pretended to explain what "Half-Blood Prince" meant.

As for the midnight show - my building sold out 10 theaters and partially filled an eleventh. Apparently we were #1 in the country for money earned among our domestic theaters. In short, it was a looooooooong night.

One dude apparently dressed up as a Golden Snitch. That's pretty amusing.

DeiwosTheSkyGod
07-17-2009, 10:22 PM
Sare, I think that was the part where it flashes to McLaggen licking his fingers and staring at Hermione.

Matoyak
07-18-2009, 12:39 AM
Man, ever since the original Dumbledore actor died, I have hated the Harry Potter movies. Its not necessarily the fact that it's a different Dumbledore, I just think the movies have sucked since that spot in time. (Basically, movies 3+)

Sarevok
07-18-2009, 04:19 AM
Sare, I think that was the part where it flashes to McLaggen licking his fingers and staring at Hermione.
Ah, thanks. :)

Cary Sedai
07-18-2009, 11:09 AM
I was disappointed, but I'll get over that. I always am at first, cause I'm expecting too much. Then I buy the movie, and watch it over and over and I like it. :p

However, if I had never read the books it would have been great. There were some good parts that made me laugh, but I just kept comparing it to the book in my head.

I still don't really get why Ginny and Harry didn't have more hanging out time. A kiss in the room of requirements is not the same as spending several sunny days out on the grounds, her leaning against his knees in the common room. In the book, they had a more comfortable relationship. In the movie, meh.

The Weasleys house catching on fire? Bellatrix tormenting Harry with "I killed Sirrius Black", Ginny chasing after them all... where the heck was that dreamed up and why!?

And I didn't even have one single twinge when Dumbledore died, nothing... cause it was all so wrong! (Why was Bellatrix there!?) And no fight with the DA/Order against Death Eaters! And no funeral! I wonder if part 1 of the 7th will start there...

Sigh... I'm still disappointed. Give me time, though. After I watch it a few times and forgive them for not meeting my expectations, I'll like it. There were likeable parts,just wan't what I wanted!

ETA: And now that the Weasley's house has been burned down I suppose there will be no wedding in the 7th movies?! Grrr!

Sarevok
07-18-2009, 11:27 AM
ETA: And now that the Weasley's house has been burned down I suppose there will be no wedding in the 7th movies?! Grrr!
Probably not, since we haven't seen Fleur, either...

As for them leaving out things like Harry's obsession with Malfoy and him hanging out with Ginny: that's why I said they should just have made this 2 movies, as well.

DeiwosTheSkyGod
07-18-2009, 09:23 PM
Also, did Percy Weasley just mysteriously disappear from the family in the movies?

JSUCamel
07-18-2009, 11:00 PM
I thought it was pretty meh. Ron's antics were hysterical, but the rest of it was very boring. The magic wasn't there in this film (and I don't mean the Abracadabra kind).

It's easily the worst of the HP movies.

Ozymandias
07-19-2009, 12:33 PM
I still don't really get why Ginny and Harry didn't have more hanging out time. A kiss in the room of requirements is not the same as spending several sunny days out on the grounds, her leaning against his knees in the common room. In the book, they had a more comfortable relationship. In the movie, meh.

Well they cut out huge parts of that, which was necessary, given length issues. I mean, the whole Dean Thomas part is over before it even begins, too. What freaked me out is its this totally PG relationship, basically the one kiss, and then these scenes of RIDICULOUS innuendo that I could hardly believe. LIke where she "ties his shoes?" Or when Ron drinks the love potion, that first shot of him vacantly staring into space with a huge grin on his face. I don't know about anyone else, but I thought for sure little Lavender was making him a grilled cheese sandwich.

The Weasleys house catching on fire? Bellatrix tormenting Harry with "I killed Sirrius Black", Ginny chasing after them all... where the heck was that dreamed up and why!?

That wasn't in the book... but honestly it wasn't terrible. Not great, but I could live with it. Just shows how Harry is a stupid, shitty wizard who needs someone else to bail him all the time.

And I didn't even have one single twinge when Dumbledore died, nothing... cause it was all so wrong! (Why was Bellatrix there!?) And no fight with the DA/Order against Death Eaters! And no funeral! I wonder if part 1 of the 7th will start there...

I don't get this complaint. That scene was almost perfect except for the other being there, and it made no difference. I didn't really get why Harry was there without being petrified. I mean, the kid is a stupid little jerk, there is no chance he doesn't help. It seems more meaning when he CAN'T help as supposed to won't, but still, I was happy with the scene until there was that retarded shot of Dumbledore falling.

[/QUOTE]

Its basically one big shack anyways, and with magic they can rebuild it in seconds. Its no biggie. Look at what Dumbledore did at Slughorn's house!

Sarevok
07-19-2009, 12:50 PM
I didn't really get why Harry was there without being petrified. I mean, the kid is a stupid little jerk, there is no chance he doesn't help. It seems more meaning when he CAN'T help as supposed to won't, but still, I was happy with the scene until there was that retarded shot of Dumbledore falling.
Well, like Lupin said: Dumbledore trusts Snape, so should we.
I think Harry presumed Snape was going to do something to save the day. I know that's what I thought when reading the book.

Zanguini
07-20-2009, 08:15 AM
Well the shot was there because Alan Rickman (snape) cursed him and he fell slow motion like off a building ....
as you can remember Bruce willis shot alan rickman and he fell in slow motion off a building ... all we need now is dumbledore to shoot bruce willis off the top of a tall building in slow motion.

http://www.coverups.com/photos-silly/defenestration_hans_gruber.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj16/dml16/Dumbledore.jpg

JSUCamel
07-20-2009, 08:25 AM
I thought for sure little Lavender was making him a grilled cheese sandwich.

*wipes tears from eyes* I'm so proud!

JSUCamel
07-20-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm actually kind of pissed off at how bad this movie was.

I feel like they assumed everyone had read the book, picked the scenes they wanted to show, and ignored the rest.

They ignored nearly every piece of foreshadowing for the next book.

They went too slow in areas they should have glossed over (love potion, the whole Weasley's house burning down, the Weasley brothers' store) and rushed through sections that they should have taken their time with (Snape's betrayal, setting up Dumbledore's death, Hermione and Ron's relationship.. she just kinda alluva sudden went from kinda liking him to being obsessive, jealous and totally in love with him).

Why did they even introduce that wolf bad guy (i forget his name)? He didn't even do anything.

Bah. I hated it.

Ozymandias
07-20-2009, 05:01 PM
They went too slow in areas they should have glossed over (love potion, the whole Weasley's house burning down, the Weasley brothers' store) and rushed through sections that they should have taken their time with (Snape's betrayal, setting up Dumbledore's death,

Listen, they have limited time and space. Snape's betrayal and Dumbledore's death would have taken half the movie to adequately set up, and the average viewer would have been no more appreciative. These movies are successful because they have fun bits of magic, humor, and relationship stuff interspersed with action. Things like the Weasleys store and the love potion and the house blowing up are amusing or exciting or both and require 90-120 seconds to take care of. They chose the short scenes which were fun and exciting over the dark, slow, gloomy stuff. And you can't criticize them for that. They had a choice, and they chose what they were capable of doing.

Hermione and Ron's relationship.. she just kinda alluva sudden went from kinda liking him to being obsessive, jealous and totally in love with him).

Actually, they've been hinting at it since Book/Movie 4.

Why did they even introduce that wolf bad guy (i forget his name)? He didn't even do anything.

He was introduced last book as this complete animal and the personification of evil Death Eaters. He's a werewolf and likes to bite children. Does it get worse? He plays a slightly bigger role in the movies, but only in the sense that he appears more often in stand-along roles. His plotline isn't played up.

Bah. I hated it

The books are arrogant, redundant tripe. The movies do them justice.

JSUCamel
07-20-2009, 06:38 PM
I know what the BOOKS did. The MOVIES did not do them well. The first few HP movies were pretty good, but this one sucked royal ass.

DeiwosTheSkyGod
07-20-2009, 09:13 PM
You think so? I think movies 3-6 are good, but the first two are just painful to watch now.

irerancincpkc
07-21-2009, 06:22 AM
You think so? I think movies 3-6 are good, but the first two are just painful to watch now.
That is my opinion as well.

Sarevok
07-21-2009, 06:46 AM
Yeah, although I don't think 6 was particularly good, I recently watched 1 on tv... The 12-year old actors have the acting skills of, well, 12-year olds.