PDA

View Full Version : This one isn't a joke!!

pops taer
07-17-2009, 10:34 AM
Another day in the life of a "Pops"!!!

Today I was notified that I meet all the criteria for diabetes. I will be meeting next Wednesday with my Doctor and a nurse to learn more. This will all include being taught to check my blood sugar and of course diet,etc. I don't know if it is Type I, Type II or TypeXVII...but will know soon and will fill you in as quickly as possible. Lots of thoughts and prayers, all ya'll....Please!!!!

Davian93
07-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Another day in the life of a "Pops"!!!

Today I was notified that I meet all the criteria for diabetes. I will be meeting next Wednesday with my Doctor and a nurse to learn more. This will all include being taught to check my blood sugar and of course diet,etc. I don't know if it is Type I, Type II or TypeXVII...but will know soon and will fill you in as quickly as possible. Lots of thoughts and prayers, all ya'll....Please!!!!

:( Hope it turns out well.

Brita
07-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Sorry to hear pops, it is a big deal to live with diabetes...lots of life changes and habits to break.

My money's on Type II. Type II is, in general, easier to control, so hopefully I'm right.

Crispin's Crispian
07-17-2009, 11:03 AM
So it is a sure thing at this point, or just a possibility. Here's hoping for the latter.

Best thoughts, Pops.

John Snow
07-17-2009, 11:09 AM
although there's a spectrum even there. By the way, how come there's not a joke? We've been having a contentious political argument, and you almost always jump in with a silly joke thread to calm the waters (although I enjoy a little bit of contentiousness myself). Anyway, type 2 DM responds well to diet and exercise, the trick is getting people to do that. The main cause that tips it into being (defining "it" as insulin resistance) is belly fat, not the under the skin fat, but the deep, in the guts kind of fat that gives you a tight, round belly. Sorta like Anaiya right now.

This fat is very bad for your health, because it's metabolically active. That's also the good news, because being metabolically active means it responds better to diet and exercise than, say, fat under the skin on the thighs that certain genders of people are susceptible to. So that's the approach you want to take, and take it slow. Coupla years ago I took off 20 pounds of gut fat, but I took about 9 months to do it. Any quicker and you run the risk of losing muscle mass, including cardiac muscle, and that's bad.

Your doc will look to treating you with pills as the first line, and that's understandable because most people cannot do the diet and exercise thing. You cannot rely on the pills. Trust me, I have friends with type 2 DM who are looking at heart failure, kidney failure, who have lost legs, because they relied on the pills and ignored diet and exercise. It'll not be fun - having that elevated blood sugar gets to be a comfortable condition, and doing the things that will lower will not feel good for a time. Trust me, you have to do this. You're younger than I am, after all, and we're both still just kids, right?
*administers hearty slap on the back*

Gilshalos Sedai
07-17-2009, 12:43 PM
My mother has Type II. It's under control (sort of) because she had lapband surgery (for more than just weight loss), so it's in remission. But she's still dealing with the fall out from it, including the fact that she really doesn't heal too well any more, and her nerve endings have begun to lose their myellin sheathe.

There is a reason I jog.

Take care of yourself, Pops.

DeiwosTheSkyGod
07-17-2009, 01:08 PM
Hoping for the best for you, pops.

Ivhon
07-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Do take care of yourself, Pops. And good luck with the dx

WinespringBrother
07-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Best wishes!

Isabel
07-17-2009, 03:40 PM
Yeah best wished and good luck. I really hope it's good news and that everything is covered by insurance.

Just keep us informed!!!!

Birgitte
07-17-2009, 04:16 PM
~hugs Pops~ Good luck

Goldeneyes
07-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Good luck, Pops!! My father-in-law has type II, he finds it very difficult to keep it under control, but he gets by with lifestyle changes like exercise and diet-changes.

I dunno if you eat Indian food, but there's some common veggies that can help, and it tastes good if you got a good cook. Lemme know if you want to know more....

Sei'taer
07-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Pop is a good cook so I'm sure he could do it. I'd like to know for me too.

DahLliA
07-18-2009, 08:42 AM
best wishes Pops ! :)

Cary Sedai
07-18-2009, 11:33 AM
~hugs~ I'll be sedning good thoughts your way!

pops taer
07-18-2009, 05:37 PM
I have been excercising since joining a health facility/gym in mid-June. At that time I could barely walk 1/2 mile on the treadmill at 2.5 mph on flat ground. Couldn't handle the eliptical and on the strength machines could barely do 8 of the 8 to 12 repititions on the 9 machines. In just over a month I have reached 1 1/4 miles on the treadmill starting at 2.5 mph on flat ground and finishing the last 1/2 mile at an incline setting of 3 and 3.7mph on the speed. I am at max reps of 15 on the strength machines plus starting around the second time but only 5 or 6 reps second time. Not adding weight to the machines just increasing reps. Am working toward adding distance and new machines shortly. Anyhow..although the weight is still there, I have used a belt that was given to me that I couldn't use because it was too short. I'm in the second hole on the belt. So, all I have to do is work on the diet and continue. I will let you know more after my meeting Wednesday. Again, Thanks to all of you.!!!

John Snow
07-19-2009, 12:32 AM
Good man, Pops - you've got the right idea, just keep that weight loss slow but steady....no 10 lbs a week nonsense.

Nazbaque
07-19-2009, 01:14 AM
Sorry to hear that pops. Hope you have the easiest form, but it's not going to be fun which ever it turns out to be. Have strength and courage.

Jokeslayer
07-19-2009, 06:13 AM
Hope it turns out ok for you, pops. My mum and both her parents have type 2 and they seem to manage it without too much of a problem.

irerancincpkc
07-19-2009, 09:08 PM
I hope it turns out alright for you, good luck.

Verin Mathwin
07-19-2009, 09:45 PM
hope everything goes well, pops

Zaela Sedai
07-19-2009, 10:23 PM
love you :)

Gilshalos Sedai
07-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Way to go, Pops!