PDA

View Full Version : D*Con Anyone?

Muirenn
07-23-2009, 08:26 PM
Anyone else planning to attend this year? Perhaps we could set up a time to have drinks or otherwise meet up? I'd love to have a chance to talk to some of y'all face to face (again!).

Terez
07-23-2009, 08:31 PM
It's at a really bad time for students - right before finals week - so again, I probably won't make it. Seeing as how I will be teaching after I finally get out of school, I'll probably never be able to go if they keep picking the same stupid dates.

Hopper
07-23-2009, 09:04 PM
Labor Day weekend is a stupid date?? Who has finals then?

I'll be working at D*Con, so I will be there.

JSUCamel
07-23-2009, 09:11 PM
Unfortunately, I'll be broke. Next year, perhaps.

Frenzy
07-23-2009, 10:01 PM
i think i'll save up and go to J*Con. Or at least try to.

Terez
07-23-2009, 10:36 PM
Oh, I was thinking of JordanCon. :) DCon, probably won't go to that either.

Isabel
07-23-2009, 11:45 PM
Nope, 1 convention abroad per year is possible for me, but not two:P

Gilshalos Sedai
07-24-2009, 07:57 AM
Saving up for J*Con, sorry.

WinespringBrother
07-24-2009, 08:07 AM
As long as we will have official representation at DragonCon from TL :) ... we will expect many reports from there, Muirenn! :D especially if Brandon talks about Asmodean's killer

I will be going to JordanCon instead as well.

Zanguini
07-24-2009, 08:19 AM
Its JordanCon for us.... Unless someone gives me some vacation days, 2000 dollars, a free hotel room, and trasportation.
Oh and labour day weekend is too close the first major test of the semester for just about all of my classes. Last weekend of april is a week or two before finals so thats much better for shirking off classes.

Ozymandias
07-24-2009, 10:39 AM
What? Isn't Labour Day Weekend the first on in September? Who in God's name has tests then?

When and where is Dragoncon? I'd consider going... if its not in some ridiculously far locale

JSUCamel
07-24-2009, 10:45 AM
Yes, first weekend in September. At JSU, school didn't start until the day after that weekend.

DragonCon is in Atlanta, Georgia.

Terez
07-24-2009, 12:08 PM
What? Isn't Labour Day Weekend the first on in September? Who in God's name has tests then?

When and where is Dragoncon? I'd consider going... if its not in some ridiculously far locale
RTFT!

Muirenn
07-24-2009, 12:28 PM
I can definitely do reports, since I'm the staffer in charge of the book discussion & all (along with Marrowlight/Jakob). Upside being that we get to talk about whatever I want to talk about. :D Schedule for the WoT Track can be found here:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pxcLYQxiWbLxHTRAZDiwLKQ&single=true&gid=0&output=html

for anyone who may be on the fence. Sadly, Brandon won't be able to attend this year, as they denied his application for guest status. They did confirm him already for next year, though!

Glad to see so many of you are planning for JordanCon already! Even though programming is only in the initial stages, we already have some really great stuff lined up!

Terez
07-24-2009, 12:47 PM
Since you're involved with planning JordanCon, maybe you could tell us why the dates have to be what they are? Is there a possibility the dates will ever change?

JSUCamel
07-24-2009, 01:25 PM
Since you're involved with planning JordanCon, maybe you could tell us why the dates have to be what they are? Is there a possibility the dates will ever change?

Generally conventions don't change dates very much.

I'd imagine the dates for JordanCon are organized around a few things, primarily the schedules of Harriet, Brandon, the Dragonmount team and any other special guests. Another factor might be hotel pricing and availability. April is probably not a huge travel season for conventions and such, so they probably get good deals on those things.

Plus, if Sanderson can write 3k words while at JordanCon, you can study for finals at JordanCon.

Terez
07-24-2009, 02:06 PM
If me and BS were comparable, I'd be a millionaire. But I'm a poor student.

Zanguini
07-24-2009, 02:21 PM
I had three classes last april during Jordan Con I asked for dispensation for any assignments due... two classes i turned them in early and the other i was excused from it with no penalty. But i know just about every professor on campus since i also work here. And im pretty good terms with the majority of them.

Davian93
07-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Both Brandon (and Tom Doherty) and GRRM will be at WorldCon in about 2 weeks in Montreal. I'm debating going to it but I've never been to a Con before so I might be a bit out of place. And I have no HCFF t-shirt to wear. Still, its only an hour from my house.

Isabel
07-24-2009, 02:41 PM
You really should go to world con. I also saw a deal somewhere about that you could come and pay a day price, but if you don't like it and come out in 2/3 hours, you get some money back.

Davian93
07-24-2009, 02:45 PM
You really should go to world con. I also saw a deal somewhere about that you could come and pay a day price, but if you don't like it and come out in 2/3 hours, you get some money back.

If RJ was alive and would be there, I'd be there no question. I dont really know that I'd have too many questions for Brandon and the sight of GRRM slacking off would just piss me off to be honest.

Zanguini
07-24-2009, 02:50 PM
I dont really go to a con for the people that are there. They are usually rushed and almost never stay on topic. I go for the people i know who will be there.

Muirenn
07-24-2009, 05:41 PM
JSU pretty much has it on the reasons for the dates. It also coincides with our Con Chair's spring break (she teaches middle school in GA). It is unlikely that the dates will ever change by more than a few weeks in either direction.

Also keep in mind that JordanCon is *not* a DM sponsored event. The executive planning committee is representative of nearly all the major WoT sites, and has some folks who are members of no website. Most of us are members at more than one site. The only one who is also a DM admin is Kathana.

If you want to give input on the planning stages of JordanCon, or wish to volunteer at the convention itself, please visit the planning forums located at www.ageoflegends.net.

-Aubree Pham
JordanCon Director of Programing

Cary Sedai
07-25-2009, 02:58 PM
Zan's right we are going to JordanCon. :p I know the biggest lure of going last year was who of our friends we'd get to meet. No doubt it would still have been pretty great had we not met up with friends, but friends make the difference.

Jonai
07-25-2009, 07:05 PM
Wow, Captain fluff and stuff is going to be there? You should knock the donut out of his mouth, rip the drumstick out of his hand, and beat him with it until he works on Dance of Dragons.

Ishara
07-27-2009, 08:41 AM
I heard WorldCon was SUPER expensive!!

The GGK superfans have a meet every year with GGk himself (I think I've mentioned this) and they're meeting up in Montreal this year. Am sad.

Zanguini
07-27-2009, 08:42 AM
Well brandon acted out the parts to all the male foresaken. And Tam was Perrin.