PDA

View Full Version : COPS Grant money

Ozymandias
07-28-2009, 11:58 AM
So they announced where the billion of COPS money was going... and New York City got nothing, which I find outrageous. Bloomberg was absolutely correct in his comments, which I summarize as: NYPD did an excellent job on a restrained budget, and there is a backwards system of incentivizing inefficiency in Washington because they now reward the least effective police forces in the country. NYC is the biggest and most prominent city/terrorist target in the country, its ridiculous we are ignored.

Any thoughts on this sentiment? As a born and bred NYer, I'm upset as well.

PS - NYC has a long history of being unfairly screwed over by the federal gov't. Ford completely turned his back on the city, despite it being a huge reason for his election. Bush tried to slash funding a few years back, which is just outrageous and another example of his historical incompetence. And now this.

LINK - http://www.nypost.com/seven/07282009/news/regionalnews/dcs_apple_cop_out_181759.htm

Sinistrum
07-28-2009, 01:17 PM
And this is the same screwy system people want to turn our health care over too...

JSUCamel
07-28-2009, 01:20 PM
And this is the same screwy system people want to turn our health care over too...

That's right! We don't need New York anyway. Give the rest of the country health care and let them fend for themselves ;)

Gilshalos Sedai
07-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Houston got shafted too. For much the same reason, IIRC.

Sei'taer
07-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Stimulus...it was a shitty idea, I think most of u agreed on that.

I went to a conference a few weeks ago with fire and police and both my city and the city I work for are going to turn the money down because of the impossibility of keeping up with the spending. Police and fire were also turning it down because when the money runs out there is no way to get more other than to raise taxes by the amount that came from stimulus. It was a really bad deal. Then the paperwork and the requirement to use only union contractors unless specified and detailed 38 different ways and stamped with the blood of the savior and 70% of the employed have mom tattooed in mexican calligraphy on their left ass cheek.

NY is prolly better off without it, tbh.

Frenzy
07-29-2009, 01:05 AM
Ford was elected?

GonzoTheGreat
07-29-2009, 04:25 AM
Ford was elected?Yep, in 1943 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Ford).

Zanguini
07-29-2009, 09:11 AM
Its those damn people at Fox refusing to pay their bills.

Ozymandias
07-29-2009, 09:12 AM
Ford was elected?

Yeah yeah my bad I always confuse him and Carter. They're like the Reconstruction Presidents... they all blur into each other in a haze of sideburns and moustaches. Except in this case, brightly colored suits and wide lapels.