PDA

View Full Version : Win a Jar of M&Ms!

JSUCamel
07-29-2009, 09:03 AM
http://lifehacker.com/5324692/guess-the-number-of-mms-in-a-jar

Pretty neat video about how to guess the number of M&Ms in a jar. It's about 10 minutes long, so I'll give you the formula straight up, though you may not know what one of these things are without watching the vid:

([volume of jar] / [volume of one M&M])*[packing fraction of M&M] = estimated number of M&Ms in jar

yks 6nnetu hing
07-29-2009, 09:08 AM
speaking of M&M's, I read this today: http://edition.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/07/28/spinal.injury.blue.dye/index.html

basically, they've linked the blue dye in the blue M&M's (and Gatorade) to help cure spinal injuries... One would think that 1) this is already available in a legal medicine form (and costs about 30 times as much) 2)if it's not, it will be.

Gilshalos Sedai
07-29-2009, 09:11 AM
All right! Pass me all the blue M&M's!

Well, me and Dav.

yks 6nnetu hing
07-29-2009, 09:14 AM
well, according to the article, you'd have to inject the stuff right after the injury :S Makes me wonder what they did to the test mice to find THAT out.

Davian93
07-29-2009, 09:37 AM
well, according to the article, you'd have to inject the stuff right after the injury :S Makes me wonder what they did to the test mice to find THAT out.

I would assume (without being too too graphic) that they deliberately broke the backs of several hundred mice and then injected blue M & M bits into them.

M & M should capitalize on this publicity and sell bags of purely blue M & M and market them as a health product.

yks 6nnetu hing
07-29-2009, 09:50 AM
I do know what they do to lab mice. My high school deskmate is a pharmacologist, she spends her days injecting mice with depressants and then slicing them up to see what has happened to the tissues... It was supposed to be a semi-rhetorical question :p

(sorry Camel, I seem to have hijacked your thread)

Gilshalos Sedai
07-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Yeah, Bryan used mice a lot in undergrad biology labs. *shudder*

I'm kinda in a gray area morally when it comes to experimenting on animals. One the one hand, it does save a LOT of human lives, on the other, some of the experiments don't really seem all that necessary.

Davian93
07-29-2009, 10:08 AM
Yeah, Bryan used mice a lot in undergrad biology labs. *shudder*

I'm kinda in a gray area morally when it comes to experimenting on animals. One the one hand, it does save a LOT of human lives, on the other, some of the experiments don't really seem all that necessary.

Curing Cancer=Acceptable
Testing Shampoo=WTF?!?

Gilshalos Sedai
07-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Exactly. If they're gonna suffer, make it for something worthwhile.

Ozymandias
07-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Exactly. If they're gonna suffer, make it for something worthwhile.

Listen, if you got one look at my spiffy clean hair, dandruff free, long and sexy... you'd think it was worth it.

Screw cancer patients. They suxx... I need me some clean hairs!

tworiverswoman
07-29-2009, 02:28 PM
Would you rather buy a bottle of new shampoo and all your hair falls out?

Nevertheless - testing cosmetic products in such a way as to cause pain and suffering to the animal is unacceptable.

Gilshalos Sedai
07-29-2009, 02:32 PM
I'm sure there's a college student somewhere hard up for cash that would volunteer. ;)

Ivhon
07-29-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm sure there's a college student somewhere hard up for cash that would volunteer. ;)

/raise

Jalyn
07-31-2009, 05:20 PM
Curing Cancer=Acceptable
Testing Shampoo=WTF?!?

Right, because you'd be perfectly happy if the shampoo that you were using turned out to be harmful in some way. No one would sue the company that manufactured it and didn't realize the side effects because they didn't test it on living animals.

As for using humans to test... I rather guess that they do, once they've passed the animal tests and they know for sure that it's not going to kill anyone. Can you imagine the lawsuit if said unemployed college student went blind after getting shampoo in their eyes for a corporate safety study?

Gilshalos Sedai
08-03-2009, 08:15 AM
If models are acceptable for climatologists to base theories on that affect the rest of the planet, why not product testing labs?

JSUCamel
08-03-2009, 09:23 AM
If models are acceptable for climatologists to base theories on that affect the rest of the planet, why not product testing labs?

For one thing, a model of the weather doesn't affect your hair falling out. You'd probably be far more pissed off if your hair fell out than you would be if this winter was 5F warmer than normal or if the forecast predicted sun and it rained.