PDA

View Full Version : Forum design

Tamyrlin
07-29-2009, 06:59 PM
I'm in the midst of making changes - as should be apparent. I plan on finishing them off tonight sometime. And it looks I have screwed up the tree-view...not sure how I did that - fun times!!!

Davian93
07-29-2009, 07:10 PM
I'm in the midst of making changes - as should be apparent. I plan on finishing them off tonight sometime. And it looks I have screwed up the tree-view...not sure how I did that - fun times!!!

AHHH CHANGE?!?!?!

We fear change!

Its an interesting layout...especially on my notebook.

Spidy
07-29-2009, 07:38 PM
I love the wide screen layout for post viewing. Wondering if the same could be applied to the post reply box?

Weird Harold
07-29-2009, 08:05 PM

I know Bulletin forum skins can be made dynamic so they fit the users' browser resolution instead of forcing a scroll. That might be partly due to the width of the frame, though. Either way, forcing those of us with old, weak, eyes to 1024x768 resolution just to read the forum is more likely to chase us away than make us want to participate. :D

Some of that header overlaps the forum page, btw -- the link to art by aphostol (http://aphostol.deviantart.com/art/The-wheel-of-time-80433964) overlays the date and time of my last visit.

PS: if you can save the old skin as a an optional skin before you start making more changes, that would help considerably.

irerancincpkc
07-29-2009, 08:54 PM
I really like how it looks on my laptop... :D

Davian93
07-29-2009, 08:55 PM
I love the wide screen layout for post viewing. Wondering if the same could be applied to the post reply box?

Really? I don't care for it but I think its just something I need to get used to. I probably won't notice it in a few days.

Terez
07-29-2009, 08:57 PM
I miss the underlined links and the bolded new topics.

And Dav, wide screen is better if for no other reason than that you can fit more width into a post (like with pictures). Also, it gets rid of the useless white area on the sides.

ShadowbaneX
07-29-2009, 09:48 PM
Looking very nice Tam!

Davian93
07-29-2009, 09:49 PM
I miss the underlined links and the bolded new topics.

And Dav, wide screen is better if for no other reason than that you can fit more width into a post (like with pictures). Also, it gets rid of the useless white area on the sides.

So you're saying wider (i.e. bigger) IS better?

FWIW, I do like the current format with the mainpage info on the left alot...

Good Work Jefe!

Terez
07-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Now it feels kind of off-balance to me. But I like the skin.

Matoyak
07-29-2009, 11:19 PM
Overall, like it. Seems kinda cluttered however, and I hate the info pane to the left. It makes me feel like I need to lean to the right to read it. Wish the posts were centered... (All the post icons are now very aliased...lots of jagged white edges all over the place...any way to apply some antialiasing?)

(EDIT: It seems that the "quick reply" version of the edit is no longer working...)

Sei'taer
07-29-2009, 11:24 PM
it looks like hell on my phone but I can still use it. Can't wait to see how it looks on the 'puter.

Weird Harold
07-30-2009, 12:52 AM
Now it feels kind of off-balance to me. But I like the skin.

I outgrew anything remotely resembling a 'Goth'phase 45 years ago. :D The White on Black is depressing.

I'd like to see a vBulletin default skin and really like to see a couple of other skins to choose from -- especially one compatible with my Windows 'Desert' color scheme (see attachment)

PS: The manage attachments page is still the blue/grey 1024x768 fixed format which puts the browse button and upload button on opposite sides of the page so I can't see both buttons at once.

Tamyrlin
07-30-2009, 01:48 AM
Buttons, coloring tweaks, etc.

tworiverswoman
07-30-2009, 02:07 AM
At first glance I said "Oooooh, PRETTY!" but now that I'm in a thread I have to agree that the dark scheme is not as good as it looks up front. And anyone with blue in their sig has a problem.

I, too, found myself leaning automatically to compensate for the slide of the page to the right to accomodate the left-side info bar. Sorry - don't like it. I dunno if I want a wide post, they can be awkward to read when they are really long - but off-center is disturbing.

Edit -- actually - nearly ALL my sig colors suck on that dark grey backdrop.

JSUCamel
07-30-2009, 02:13 AM
Seconded. The dark background doesn't work very well, especially since a lot of the smileys and buttons are anti-aliased with a white background, so there are outlines that probably shouldn't be there.

My initial suggestion is to invert the colors: white background with gray/orange fonts.

I also second the removal of the left column. It looks great on the main front page, but anywhere else, it's redundant and distracting.

Perhaps a smaller, less obtrusive widget containing similar info would work.

Matoyak
07-30-2009, 02:17 AM
In the other thread Tam explained what he was going to do about the info on the left. He also explained his plans for the theme colors and such. :D

Overall I prefer dark themes to light themes because light themes seem to blind the eye. Dark ones just seem more soothing to me. nothing about goth or anything, just the cool grays and such aren't as attacking to the eyes...

tworiverswoman
07-30-2009, 02:23 AM
Perhaps, Mato - but YOUR sig doesn't have any odd colors in it :P

I like the dark theme on the menu page - but not in the forum threads. Except -- it seems to clash with too many pre-existing items.

Plus, I can't tell what threads I have or haven't read, now.

Matoyak
07-30-2009, 02:30 AM
Perhaps, Mato - but YOUR sig doesn't have any odd colors in it :P

I like the dark theme on the menu page - but not in the forum threads. Except -- it seems to clash with too many pre-existing items.

Plus, I can't tell what threads I have or haven't read, now.
Well, it's a good thing he's planning on having multiple themes then, isn't it? Or was my saying read the other thread a waste of time? :P

Nazbaque
07-30-2009, 03:10 AM
The white on gray doesn't work. I don't see any need to change the colour we had, but if ppl think we must let's go for what we had on ez/yuku.

Someone change the image limit settings so it doesn't apply to emoticons. I need to practice my B-day art!

Matoyak
07-30-2009, 03:34 AM
Why does the color scheme bother people so much? Honestly...

And back to the yucko board colors? wtf you been smoking?

Nazbaque
07-30-2009, 04:19 AM
So you don't understand why people don't like this colour, but hate the yuku ones so much you have to insult people who suggest it?

Oh well you see Mato there are these things called opinions. And while scientist are unsure why people have different opinions, they faced the fact long ago that they do have different opinions.

And considering where you post your bafflement on people having different opinions, I suppose I should be baffled on your general stupidity, but I decided long ago that if I was going to be baffled by stupidity I would never stop.

GonzoTheGreat
07-30-2009, 04:52 AM
I think that a color scheme which made the thread and posts stand out more from the background would be better, since that makes it easier to see which is which.

And, while light letters on a dark background were the best available in the 1980s, nowadays the quality of monitors has improved sufficiently to make it possible to get better readability with dark letters on a light background.

A simple comparison shows that what I'm typing right now is easier to than the post which is above it, simply because of the superior color scheme.

yks 6nnetu hing
07-30-2009, 05:45 AM
I don't mind the dark look so much, but I do have an issue with the clashing white bits for the quotes and user names. I go "ok, so this is the important part" aaaand... no. I also think that the user name parts are a bit too big compared to the actual post size - if for example the post itself is only one line (which wil happen a lot now that the screen is wider, which I do like, less scrolling :) ) but you have a whole inch taken up by a big white band declaring who it was that said... er... nothing. Maybe you can tweak these to be a little less white, Tam? Or, you know, in general less contrasting...

Otherwise, cool, looking worward to seing the whole thing done!

Terez
07-30-2009, 06:57 AM
There aren't supposed to be other mountains anywhere around Dragonmount.

Just saying...

So you don't understand why people don't like this colour, but hate the yuku ones so much you have to insult people who suggest it?
In Mato's defense, WH did it first when he suggested that I liked the colors because I needed to grow up. Or something.

Davian93
07-30-2009, 07:56 AM

That's supposed to be Dragonmount...I thought it was Shayol Ghul...

Terez
07-30-2009, 08:11 AM
Is it? It seems more brown than black...

Ishara
07-30-2009, 08:48 AM
LOL. Trust HCFFs to debate the mountain in the banner...freaks. :p

The colour scheme doesn't bug too much - I think it's a metter of preference. Regardless, it's easy to read.

I don't understand the people who are saying they can't tell what they've read before. Do you not use the envelope icon on the side of every thread? Open= unread and closed= read. Am I missing something?

GonzoTheGreat
07-30-2009, 09:04 AM
With this color scheme, the envelopes are not as easy to distinguish as with the previous scheme. It works, but it works less well than it used to. Since this isn't politics, that means that it isn't an improvement.

Mort
07-30-2009, 10:02 AM
I never used the envelope icons to distinguish read/unread threads. In the former design the unread threads had a bolded font, that was actually easier to look for than the icon.

Speaking of the envelope icon... I'd like to have them the other way around... unread threads should have a closed envelope shouldn't it? :) Already read letters have open envelopes.

Tamyrlin
07-30-2009, 10:22 AM
I may tried to find a happy medium for now considering the negative feedback.

I will work on getting the bold back...I think I know what I did that has made that change.

yks 6nnetu hing
07-30-2009, 10:24 AM
I still see the bold - it's maybe just a little harder to see because of the colour?

Tamyrlin
07-30-2009, 10:24 AM
For the dark background, I'll be replacing images like the Post Reply. As to the emoticons, I'm going to try a lighter gray to see if I can combat the issues there.

Tamyrlin
07-30-2009, 10:26 AM
I'm leaving the news bar, but I'll make it possible to minimize that section, and that will be cookied, so you don't have to keep clicking it on each page. I have bigger plans for that panel, but for now the news works.

yks 6nnetu hing
07-30-2009, 10:32 AM
oh, and I REALLLLLLLLLY like the new Theoryland font at the top. Every time I look at it I like it more.

Just thought I'd say :)

Matoyak
07-30-2009, 10:38 AM
So you don't understand why people don't like this colour, but hate the yuku ones so much you have to insult people who suggest it? No, not an insult, incredulity mixed with a joke. If you can't see that, not my fault.

Oh well you see Mato there are these things called opinions. And while scientist are unsure why people have different opinions, they faced the fact long ago that they do have different opinions. Really? Thanks for enlightening me. The world is a brand new place now.:eek:

And considering where you post your bafflement on people having different opinions, I suppose I should be baffled on your general stupidity, but I decided long ago that if I was going to be baffled by stupidity I would never stop. Ok, asshole, really, not sure where all the hostility came from.:confused: Conversation went from civil to all-out bashing. But hey, I guess I can just put you into the ignore category, if that's still around after all the changes Tam's made...

EDIT: And my apologies to anyone else whom I offended by defending the theme Tam no doubt worked pretty hard on for us.

ShadowbaneX
07-30-2009, 12:25 PM
I don't think those are envelops, I think they're "go to first unread post" icons ;)

GonzoTheGreat
07-30-2009, 12:53 PM
I've taken at look at Zaela's greeting on the New Users board, and I have to say: it isn't really very user friendly anymore. The way things are now, it definitely does not invite you to read it if you see that appear in your Newbie thread.

Sarevok
07-30-2009, 12:57 PM
I don't think those are envelops, I think they're "go to first unread post" icons ;)
You really should look closer. ;)

Ishara
07-30-2009, 02:10 PM
Yeah...any threads that have new posts in them that you haven't since the last time you "marked all forums read" are marked by an open envelope. Then, in that thread, the new posts have an orange rectangle in the upper far left hamd corner. That's how I track new stuff....

Terez
07-30-2009, 02:29 PM
You can track threads that way, but there is also a little check box next to threads with new posts that allows you to go to the first unread post in the thread. I use that one and don't pay much attention to the envelopes.

Tamyrlin
07-30-2009, 03:32 PM
Click the icon in the upper right hand corner of the left news section, if you don't want to see it. It is cookie based, so it should persist between the home page and the forum. When I post "New" news, I will add an icon to show up so people will know there is something new to read.

Terez
07-30-2009, 03:38 PM
Awesome! Thanks Tam. :D

SauceyBlueConfetti
07-30-2009, 06:03 PM
IT LOOKS FRICKIN AWESOME

Nazbaque
07-30-2009, 06:50 PM
Ok, asshole, really, not sure where all the hostility came from.:confused: Conversation went from civil to all-out bashing. But hey, I guess I can just put you into the ignore category, if that's still around after all the changes Tam's made...
So you can call me a drug user for liking colours you don't, but if I call you stupid in return I am a hostile asshole?

I can give you the info now that I have never smoked a single cigarette or anything else for that matter. I take pride in it.

If you keep going like this, you'll just dig yourself in deeper. I'm the one who has been more civil in this exchange. All you can do is prove yourself to be a jerk or an idiot or both. Apologize now and we'll say no more about it.

hippie-joe
07-30-2009, 08:46 PM
whoa TL got a face lift! holy poo here i thought this tam person was a myth some fabled individual... i like the darker background, i think it won't blind as bad as the snowy one did in the dark.

Davian93
07-30-2009, 10:19 PM
So you can call me a drug user for liking colours you don't, but if I call you stupid in return I am a hostile asshole?

I can give you the info now that I have never smoked a single cigarette or anything else for that matter. I take pride in it.

If you keep going like this, you'll just dig yourself in deeper. I'm the one who has been more civil in this exchange. All you can do is prove yourself to be a jerk or an idiot or both. Apologize now and we'll say no more about it.

Okay guys...back to your separate corners...

Matoyak
07-30-2009, 10:52 PM
Holy hell dude, the "what you been smoking thing" was a joke. Calm down man. I already said it was a joke, BTW, if you had read my post. :)

JSUCamel
07-30-2009, 11:49 PM
More notes:

Clicking on the Forum Tools button ("Mark Forum Read", etc options are there), the menu pops up about 200 pixels down and 100 pixels left of where it should be. Should look like a drop-down, but its' floating like a duck.... in spaaaaaace.

Uh, that's all I've got... in spaaaace.

tworiverswoman
07-31-2009, 12:09 AM
Holy shite! Were those pull-down menus always there? I've never clicked on them before. "Rate this thread?" Hmmm - that could be fun. There's been a few major winners.

But yeah - they do pull-down a little bit "off." Really, Camel -- it should be PIGS IN SPAAAAAACE. Not "ducks." wtf are you smoking? (j/k)

Naz - fyi, Mato is a pretty good friend of mine and PD's and he's used to kidding around with people of like mind. He didn't expect anyone to be offended by his joke and was astonished at your outrage.

But yeah, he's a ditz. He LIKES the black screen... sheesh!

Matoyak
07-31-2009, 12:48 AM
It's not black....its *gray* (Not a very dark gray either...Like...not anywhere close to black...). ~haughtily sniffs the air~ ~chokes on the horrible smell~ OK, who did it? ~glances suspiciously at Sini~

Birgitte
07-31-2009, 01:19 AM
I like the redesign. I didn't at first, but it's kinda growing on me. It's very halloweeny. :) It'll be better once you change the Post Reply icons and stuff you mentioned doing. And I do agree with yks about the white boxes people's names are in.

And Naz, this could be a cultural thing. It's a pretty common joke here in the States when you have differing opinions. It's not a serious accusation of drug use. Mato wasn't really outta line.

Edit: EEK! I can't read my sig anymore. :( How will people know that I'm the General of the Northern Border, Hero of Krieros Valley, the Coffinnail, Queen of the TCA?!

Weird Harold
07-31-2009, 01:22 AM
More notes:

Clicking on the Forum Tools button ("Mark Forum Read", etc options are there), the menu pops up about 200 pixels down and 100 pixels left of where it should be. Should look like a drop-down, but its' floating like a duck.... in spaaaaaace.

Uh, that's all I've got... in spaaaace.
for me, quick links are down about 200, but more like 200 to the right -- but not all the drop-downs seem to be the same offset, although they're all down and right with Firefox 2

Marie Curie 7
07-31-2009, 02:31 AM
I think that the new design is great. Change is good...

I do think, though, that the contrast between the light sections (like in the user name/avatar section and quotes) and the dark sections (the actual replies in a thread) is a little too much, whether it's white on dark or dark on white.

Also, if you're going to keep the darker background, then the background for the new posts section of the JordanCon and Bug Reports sections needs to be fixed. Right now the background for those sections is opposite what it is for all the others.

In addition, the difference between regular and bolded text in a reply is not enough...

Next, I would say that if you want to attract new users as we approach the release of TGS, you need to consider how the site looks to lurkers. And even if it is possible to switch to a different skin for users, you want to have the most attractive site for lurkers, too. I find that the contrast of dark and light in the threads is too much, as I mentioned before. Most sites have a much more gradual change between dark and light, whether they use a dark background with light text or the reverse. And to be honest, I prefer light background with dark text. The way it is now, the username/avatar and the quotes are highlighted rather than the comments. I would prefer the reverse, but whatever...

Finally, when I switch from logged in to logged out, it is difficult to convert to linear mode to read the threads. To do this, I have to get rid of the left-hand border, then switch to linear. I never had to do that before. It seems to have to do with the width and that the pop-up window to select linear/threaded/hybrid gets pushed off the screen.

Nazbaque
07-31-2009, 03:45 AM
Okay okay. It was more of an outburst due to being pissed in general.

But I think the principal is sound here. I've know other people who think on the lines of: "I didn't mean to be insulting so no-one has the right to be insulted". This has two major flaws in it: 1) It's like saying that if you step on someone's foot it only hurts if you do it on purpose. 2) Emotions don't care about rights.

You have insulted someone Mato. You didn't mean to, but you did. I know it was a joke, but just saying that it was isn't an apology. At times it will do if you say it in the right tone of voice, but that sort of thing works rather badly in text alone.

I'm sorry I snapped at you the way I did. You stepped lightly on my foot. It wasn't your fault it happened to be broken.

Sarevok
07-31-2009, 05:55 AM
in IE 6 at work:
the drop downs appear next to the forum here... which means only the edge of the menu appears, since the forum resizes with the window...

GonzoTheGreat
07-31-2009, 06:31 AM
You can also switch to another dropdown simply by hovering your mouse cursor over another drop down thingy, without having to click on it.
I'm not sure whether that's a bug or a feature, but it is a bit surprising when you notice it for the first time.

Marie Curie 7
07-31-2009, 02:35 PM
Finally, when I switch from logged in to logged out, it is difficult to convert to linear mode to read the threads. To do this, I have to get rid of the left-hand border, then switch to linear. I never had to do that before. It seems to have to do with the width and that the pop-up window to select linear/threaded/hybrid gets pushed off the screen.

I see what it's doing here now. The pop-up that lets you select linear/threaded/hybrid pops up to the far right and a scroll bar appears, so you have to scroll over to get to it...

Tamyrlin
07-31-2009, 02:47 PM
Right after I develop the other skin

Terez
07-31-2009, 03:59 PM
Also, anyone who had size 1 text in their sig will need to fix it - the changes somehow converted everything to size 2.

EDIT: Actually, I just tried to do that, and it's showing up as size 1 in my sig-editing field. It just appears as size 2 on the boards, for some reason...any ideas Tam?

Ishara
08-01-2009, 01:10 AM
But mine is and shows up as size1. Hmmm.

Also for the record, I had the prefect colours in my sig for the new design. LOVE IT!

Terez
08-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Yours looks like size 2 to me on the board. Though of course when you go to your settings to fix it, it will show up as size 1 like mine did.

Weird Harold
08-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Yours looks like size 2 to me on the board. Though of course when you go to your settings to fix it, it will show up as size 1 like mine did.

Apprently the font size function is disabled:

Test SIZE="1"
Test SIZE="2"
Test SIZE="3"
Test SIZE="4"
Test SIZE="5"
Test SIZE="5"
Test SIZE="7"

Because those all look the same size to me.

Terez
08-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Yeah, Tam said he did something with the page style that overrides the vBulletin font sizes. So they're not disabled, exactly (they show up correctly in your User CP).

Belazamon
08-02-2009, 01:28 AM
I do think, though, that the contrast between the light sections (like in the user name/avatar section and quotes) and the dark sections (the actual replies in a thread) is a little too much, whether it's white on dark or dark on white.This is my only complaint, as well. Otherwise I like the new scheme.

jason wolfbrother
08-11-2009, 12:35 AM
I like it Tam. The new layout works just fine for me. Of course I'm not here as often as some others are but it still looks great. No complaints at all...well maybe one ;) we still need more emoticons:p :D :D :D :D :D :D ;) :cool: just saying ;)

Belazamon
08-11-2009, 02:25 PM
This is my only complaint, as well. Otherwise I like the new scheme.And now, a week later, I find it doesn't bother me. Adaptation is a beautiful thing.

Purple Dragon
08-18-2009, 03:05 PM
riiiiiiiight...

i'll still stick with MY purple... tough...
should be sad to have to change a color i've used since... 2004? something... close on 4 years anyway... changes is all well and good... but i'll stick to being a traditionalist when it comes to my identity... have fun with the highlights...

Sarevok
08-18-2009, 03:14 PM
riiiiiiiight...

i'll still stick with MY purple... tough...
should be sad to have to change a color i've used since... 2004? something... close on 4 years anyway... changes is all well and good... but i'll stick to being a traditionalist when it comes to my identity... have fun with the highlights...
Uh... replied in wrong thread?

Belazamon
08-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Uh... replied in wrong thread?Well I'm kind of glad you replied to him, because honestly I was too lazy to highlight it, so I didn't read it until I saw your quote. ;)

Matoyak
08-20-2009, 02:23 AM
Well I'm kind of glad you replied to him, because honestly I was too lazy to highlight it, so I didn't read it until I saw your quote. ;)
Heh. I suggest using Camel's Greasemonkey script. It turns PD's "unreadable purple" into "legible pink". very helpful.:)

SauceyBlueConfetti
08-25-2009, 12:01 PM
One thing I would suggest for our (ya like that? "our")site, and forgive me if it exists already and I am unaware...I would like to see a "books" page that just lists each book in order and the chapter headings or something. I know the search engine has them, but they don't appear in the right order.

If someone is looking for info on the next book in the series and isn't sure of the names, etc, it would be handy. I know when I first started the series book 8 was released, and I was like OMG NOOOOO MORE???? And then I found out about New Spring and was ecstatic.

To be honest, I always have to look at books 5-6-7-8 because I get the titles out of order.

Just a suggestion.

JSUCamel
08-25-2009, 12:19 PM
To be honest, I always have to look at books 5-6-7-8 because I get the titles out of order.

I'm gonna have to ask you to hand over your HCFF badge, ma'am.

Belazamon
08-25-2009, 01:00 PM
Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges.

yks 6nnetu hing
08-26-2009, 06:07 AM
Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges.

hehehe

how about badgers?

GonzoTheGreat
08-26-2009, 06:11 AM
hehehe

how about badgers?Do you really want to be shown stinking badgers?

yks 6nnetu hing
08-26-2009, 08:30 AM
no, I want to see them being shown to Camel :D

Zanguini
08-26-2009, 09:15 AM
Wisconsin is not that far from chicago, so i am sure he has seen stinking badgers.

Marie Curie 7
09-14-2009, 01:41 PM

Just saying...

Ha. I happened to accidently click on the artist's name (art by TheNonSequitur) last night, and it actually gives the title of the work. It's neither Dragonmount nor Shayol Ghul...the title is "The Threefold Land (http://thenonsequitur.deviantart.com/art/The-Threefold-Land-21453583)". :)

Spidy
09-30-2009, 05:30 AM
Tam, it could be Spidy anti-spidy-sense option is turned on, but why can't i get back to the same thread I am looking at by clicking the link outlined on the forums-home line? It appeare to be one level too high.

Spidy
10-02-2009, 03:50 AM
BUMP

Tamyrlin
10-02-2009, 10:48 AM
when I clicked reply, Forum Design showed up as a clickable item...and Reply to Thread moved up into the unclickable section.

I don't think there is much I can do, other than to attempt to figure out what the variable is in their code and add it. I'll see what I can do about that - kind of annoying...that is, this problem...not so much you Spidy :)