PDA

View Full Version : HEPL!!11!1!! Video problems...

Ivhon
07-30-2009, 12:26 PM
I have an nvidia 8800gts card with updated drivers - built the system a little over 2 years ago. Inside of my case runs around 100f (I think I saw 37c?)

So, Im tooling around today and all of a sudden everything goes to 16-bit colors and I have to reboot.

After reboot, Im up with much lower resolution, no secondary monitor. I check my device manager and I have a code 10 on the video card.

So I download drivers again just to be sure, try to reinstall and then everything goes black.

Reboot again and now I just have messed up pixilation of whatever windows were up when whatever happenned happenned 2 reboots ago.

Currently letting everything (including myself) cool down before I fire it up again. Do NOT need this at the end of the semester.

So...wondering if there is anything else I can do or if I just go get a new card?

JSUCamel
07-30-2009, 12:32 PM
So...wondering if there is anything else I can do or if I just go get a new card?

I'm not a hardware guy, but I've had similar things happen in the past. Sometimes it appears to work itself out, sometimes you just need a new card. Personally, I don't think a new card is a bad idea, but it all depends on your budget.

Ivhon
07-30-2009, 12:45 PM
I'm not a hardware guy, but I've had similar things happen in the past. Sometimes it appears to work itself out, sometimes you just need a new card. Personally, I don't think a new card is a bad idea, but it all depends on your budget.

Praying for it to fix itself. Budget? LOL Im in school and the two of us are living on a teacher's salary.

GonzoTheGreat
07-31-2009, 03:36 AM
After reboot, Im up with much lower resolution, no secondary monitor. I check my device manager and I have a code 10 on the video card.What, exactly, is a "code 10"? And if you don't know, why did you start fiddling around before figuring out what the card itself was telling you?

Of course, those questions don't help all that much anymore. Still, it might be possible to find something useful on the Internet, if you use the search terms you've already given. You will also find quite a few things that aren't all that useful, just to give you something to do.

Ivhon
07-31-2009, 08:31 AM
What, exactly, is a "code 10"? And if you don't know, why did you start fiddling around before figuring out what the card itself was telling you?

Of course, those questions don't help all that much anymore. Still, it might be possible to find something useful on the Internet, if you use the search terms you've already given. You will also find quite a few things that aren't all that useful, just to give you something to do.

I did all that. But I didn't feel like spending hours listening to uninterested tech types having e-peen contests about which replacement card was better. So I brought the question to the folks I know. :)

And then I ordered a replacement card which just got loaded on the delivery truck 30 minutes ago.

123seem
07-31-2009, 08:40 AM
having a backup card might do the trick ,but it also sounds like your card isnt getting the power it needs either ....mine did stuff like that when i forgot to attach the power lead. it was a quick fix