PDA

View Full Version : Behold! A chat room!

Masema
07-31-2009, 01:54 PM
The Lord Dragon has broken the seals that have prevented us from communicating. The Prophecies say that the Lord Dragon will break all chains that bind, and it is so. The Lord Dragon's radiance will protect us against the Shadow.

There is justice in the hereafter, when we are born again. Concern with things of this world is useless. But very well. If you wish for a chat room, the Lord Dragon has spoken: a new chat room shall be created!

Henceforth, Camel shall be the master builder and architect of the chat room and shall have complete dominion over the construction of this magnificant palace of communication. Only those truly blessed in the Light shall gain access, for those who blaspheme the Lord Dragon shall be banished from our sight!

The Lord Dragon hath spoken through I, the Prophet of the Dragon, and has blessed the People of the Dragon with chat!

Let it be so.

The Lord DRagon has been Reborn. The Shadow hangs over the world, and only the Lord Dragon can save us. Only belief in the Lord Dragon, submission and...

...Ah, but chat is nice, too.

All praise to the Lord Dragon, who has been Reborn according to the Prophecies!

JSUCamel
07-31-2009, 01:58 PM
Thank you, Sir Prophet.

As Masema announced, there is a new chat room. At the top of the page, you'll see a link (it says, appropriately enough, "CHAT"). Click on that, and you should view the chat room.

A few things:

1) I made this from scratch
2) Because I built it, it is customizable. In other words, if you want other features, you can ask. I may not be able to oblige, but I will do my best, if I have time.
3) Also because I built it, there are bound to be bugs. Any bug reports should be submitted to me via private message, email (jsucamel at gmail dot com) or any other way you happen to know how to get ahold of me.
4) Be patient while I fix bugs and add features. It's not much to look at right now, but as tru can attest, it's come a long way in the last few days.

Have fun.

-Camel

Sarevok
07-31-2009, 02:15 PM
3) Also because I built it, there are bound to be bugs. Any bug reports should be submitted to me via private message, email (jsucamel at gmail dot com) or any other way you happen to know how to get ahold of me.

Wouldn't it make more sense to report the bugs here? Otherwise you'll have hundreds of PMs all reporting the same bug.
In this case: I can type into the input window, but when I click send or hit enter, it disappears without showin up in the chatroom... :(

JSUCamel
07-31-2009, 02:42 PM
Well, that works too.

I'll check into that when I get home. I don't have your browser at the office, so I'll have to wait til I can test it there.

Terez
07-31-2009, 02:58 PM
It seems to have died for the moment? I can get in, and type, but the stuff I type never shows up.

Sarevok
07-31-2009, 03:07 PM
It seems to have died for the moment? I can get in, and type, but the stuff I type never shows up.
Same as me, but Tru says it works for her...

Terez
07-31-2009, 03:14 PM
It works for me now.

Davian93
07-31-2009, 09:13 PM
Love the chat function.

One minor criticism...it makes my notebook seriously drag to where I can't do other applications...and I have a pretty new/fast notebook (6 months old).

Is that something that could be fixed?

hippie-joe
07-31-2009, 09:40 PM

it would appear that i am having this issue as well

love the welcome, good stuff

JSUCamel
08-01-2009, 12:35 AM
Love the chat function.

One minor criticism...it makes my notebook seriously drag to where I can't do other applications...and I have a pretty new/fast notebook (6 months old).

Is that something that could be fixed?

It hasn't done this on all of my machines, but I have noticed this effect on my machine at the office. I do have an idea, though, and I will look into it to see if I can fix it.

DahLliA
08-01-2009, 08:24 AM
works for me. only thing is that the input-box is put on the right side of the chat frame since I'm running firefox in fullscreen on 1920x1080.
is it possible to make it so it stays below the chat frame even if I run it fullscreen?

hippie-joe
08-01-2009, 01:02 PM
also, in addition to it not posting, it says i'm idling even when i just entered, which i found a tad odd... i look forward to being able to use it...

Sarevok
08-01-2009, 01:06 PM
also, in addition to it not posting, it says i'm idling even when i just entered, which i found a tad odd... i look forward to being able to use it...
I'm guessing it checks whether or not you've posted in the last few minutes, which you haven't, because you just got there. :)

Sarevok
08-01-2009, 01:27 PM
I'm guessing it checks whether or not you've posted in the last few minutes, which you haven't, because you just got there. :)
Chat is now WORKING in Internet Explorer 8 (dunno about 6 or 7). However, you still have to manually click the "send" button. If you hit enter, it just clears your line...

Edit: FIXED that too!! Camel, you're awesome!! :D

JSUCamel
08-01-2009, 01:42 PM
You're welcome.

I believe I've alleviated part of Davian's memory problem. A quick, easy fix is to just refresh the page. Most of you don't spend incredibly large amounts of time in chat, so it won't be a big deal anyway, but if you do, then just refresh the page and it should clear the memory a bit.

I'll see if I can make it even more efficient later.

Also, I've gotten a number of requests for private messaging. If I do implement those, it will be more along the lines of "whispers" a la Guild Wars than actual IM-like interfaces.

We'll see. In the meantime, enjoy.

Sarevok
08-02-2009, 02:17 AM
Well, I just logged back into the chat with IE. But now it's not working anymore! My text is not showing up. :(

Edit: and now it works again...

JSUCamel
08-03-2009, 10:05 AM
I've implemented a few changes to hopefully speed up the chatroom and minimize memory issues.

Also, previously, it was showing you the entire chat history every time you logged in. Now it will restrict itself to only the last 200 messages.

Today I will be working on some other things, including private messaging. If you have any other feature requests or whatever, let me know either here, on IM or in chat.

As for private messaging, it's going to be a lot more like WoW or Guild Wars private messages than like IMs.

It would look like the following:

terez: I'm awesome and you guys suck.
Davian: Palin sucks!!!!!!
Tam: I'm busy, go raise yourselves.
(Sei'taer tells you: Davian wears a skirt.)
(You tell Sei'taer: lol!)

Or something along those lines. Haven't decided what the format would look like. But you would type something like:

/msg Sei'taer lol!

Hopefully this won't suck too badly. I can already think of two or three problems with this approach, but it's better than nothing. I would advocate not saying anything too personal.

GonzoTheGreat
08-03-2009, 10:23 AM
/msg Sei'taer lol!Good idea. One typing mistake, and the private message is public. That's gonna produce some hilarity, now and then. Or at least, it'll produce something. :p

ShadowbaneX
08-03-2009, 10:29 AM
the only feature I'd request is something showing how many users are in the chat, perhaps with a mouse over on the link showing which users specifically are in there.

JSUCamel
08-03-2009, 11:50 AM
the only feature I'd request is something showing how many users are in the chat, perhaps with a mouse over on the link showing which users specifically are in there.

I can probably work with Tam to make that work. I'll see what I can do.

Crispin's Crispian
08-03-2009, 12:02 PM
I've now tried a few times, and just can't seem to get anything I type to actually show up.

I'll try back later, I guess. Sounds like others have had intermittancies.

JSUCamel
08-03-2009, 12:12 PM
I've now tried a few times, and just can't seem to get anything I type to actually show up.

What browser are you using? Did you just hit Enter, or did you try clicking the Send button, too?

Zaela Sedai
08-03-2009, 12:24 PM
I can't get in at home either with IE8... it won't stop loading on the right hand side. I'll try firefox later. Forget it at work, they won't upgrade from IE6

JSUCamel
08-03-2009, 12:26 PM
I can't get in at home either with IE8... it won't stop loading on the right hand side. I'll try firefox later. Forget it at work, they won't upgrade from IE6

I'll check it out this afternoon when I get home. It's weird, worked fine for me in IE8 last time I checked.

And your IT staff is stupid if they won't upgrade from IE6. ... Just sayin'.

Crispin's Crispian
08-03-2009, 12:34 PM
I'm using FF 3.0.12. I'll try it with IE 8 and see what happens.

ShadowbaneX
08-03-2009, 12:50 PM

same here. I'm using SeaMonkey 1.1.17, which is essentially FireFox's big brother.

JSUCamel
08-03-2009, 01:12 PM
Very strange. It works just fine in all of my browsers that I've tested.

Do you have Javascript disabled or high security settings or something?

ShadowbaneX
08-03-2009, 08:16 PM
nope. Java is operational and security is on, but not on the highest setting.

JSUCamel
08-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Java settings shouldn't matter. Hmm.

Very interesting. I haven't been able to recreate the problem. In fact, I haven't run into any problems using any of my other browsers (latest versions of Opera, Safari and IE8).

My only suggestion at this point is to refresh the page and try again.

I'll continue to tweak it and hope that I can fix the problem, but I'm not sure what all I can do to resolve it if I can't recreate it.

ShadowbaneX
08-03-2009, 09:02 PM
have you tried using any of the mozilla browsers?

JSUCamel
08-03-2009, 10:25 PM
have you tried using any of the mozilla browsers?

I use Firefox as my main browser. I haven't used SeaMonkey.

Dragon Thief
08-03-2009, 11:28 PM
Suggestions:

Make the smileys and actions clickable links that simple export the command into the bar where you type. So clicking on the frown face puts the literal color-parentheses in the bar ready to type. Or, depending upon how you've got it set up, the image itself in the bar (usually takes a div faked out to be a text area tag to do that).

When you get your whisper/pm thing set up, make the online names clickable to send them whispers.

And, just cause I'm curious, how much are you modding jquery to use with this? My php skills have reusted to near uselessness, but I'm working extensively with all sorts of ajax processes at work, so I'm very good with javascript and such. I tend to get annoyed at most of the frameworks out there tho, so I write most of my own code from scratch (although I'll use jquery a bit for sites that only use one feature of it, like an accordion or something). I've played around with prototype, jquery, scriptaculous, amd mootools.

Also, just an fyi - i saw where you're loading the script off of http://ajax.googleapis.com/ - I'd recommend pulling it to your own server if possible, you will run into occasional load-lag issues, not to mention you might get afoul of the stupid sandbox the http-request occasionally decides to pay attention to - although jquery might have coded around that, dunno.

JSUCamel
08-05-2009, 01:16 PM
I've made some tweaks, added some features, squashed some bugs...

Take a gander at chat again, and see if it works this time.

Also, we've discovered that if you're chatting and nothing is showing up, try exiting chat (hit the Exit Chat link in the upper right) and try again. Sometimes this logout/login routine makes it work. It's probably a session thing, and I'm looking into it.

Thanks, and keep the feedback coming!

ShadowbaneX
08-05-2009, 03:19 PM
still no worky

JSUCamel
08-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Can you describe in more detail what's happening and what you see? Perhaps a screen shot?

Do you see the chat log at all (there should be about 200 lines of chat loading up)? Or does it just show that greeting message? Does the user list show up?

Incidentally, I'm testing it in Seamonkey 1.1.17 right now and it's working just fine.

I'm really not sure what the problem is, since I can't replicate it, and since I can't replicate it, I can't fix it.

The more information I have, the better. But as things stand, I can't help you right now. Sorry. :(

Dragon Thief
08-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Oh, here's a very handy feature that may be harder to implement - show how many users are currently in the chat in parentheses by the chat link, ie Chat (3) as the link.

Matoyak
08-05-2009, 10:16 PM
...show how many users are currently in the chat in parentheses by the chat link, ie Chat (3) as the link.
YES please. (Pretty please?) :D :D :D I'm sure I can find some girl that can pull off the puppy-dog eyes, Camel.

JSUCamel
08-05-2009, 11:03 PM
It's actually already written, but Tam's gotta implement that one.

ShadowbaneX
08-08-2009, 12:55 AM
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/4886/13216164.jpg
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/350/64368358.jpg
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/7650/64015877.jpg

JSUCamel
08-08-2009, 01:25 AM
Argh, that sucks.

I think I've got an idea on what the problem might be, but since I'm on vacation right now, I won't be able to resolve it until next week.

In the meantime, make sure cookies are enabled and that authenticated sessions are allowed.

ShadowbaneX
08-08-2009, 01:40 AM
is there a seperate domain under which the chat cookies might be coming from? I have my browser set up to reject cookies save for those I authorize. It there's a seperate host sending the chat cookies that might be something.

Not sure about the authenticated sessions. Where's that?

JSUCamel
08-08-2009, 10:29 AM
The cookies may be coming from jsucamel.dreamhosters.com. If you're rejecting those cookies, that's probably the issue right there.

MsMoonshadow
08-08-2009, 04:41 PM
when i put in my username as msmoonshadow (w/ and w/o caps) it would do nothing.

and with moonie it seemed to work. anyone else run into that? a problem with name length?

JSUCamel
08-08-2009, 05:21 PM
when i put in my username as msmoonshadow (w/ and w/o caps) it would do nothing.

and with moonie it seemed to work. anyone else run into that? a problem with name length?

There appears to be a session/cookie bug that sometimes requires exiting chat and trying a different name. When I get back home from vacation, I'll finish patching it (i'm already about halfway through the fix).

MsMoonshadow
08-08-2009, 05:31 PM
JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSu!!!!!!!!!!

ShadowbaneX
08-08-2009, 06:34 PM
more interestingly I sign in under one name, leave, enter again under another name and the other me is still there. Leave and return again and both of the other me's are still there.

Brita
08-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Woohoo! I can access this chat at work. Thanks Camel, job well done. ~~big smooch~~

ShadowbaneX
08-13-2009, 04:12 PM
for anyone who's able to get into the chat but when they type nothing appears I've found something that works for me. Either turn your cookie settings down, or just set your browser to allow cookies from jsucamel.dreamhosters.com. Can be session cookies if you like.

JSUCamel
08-13-2009, 11:08 PM
OK, I'll have to test it out tomorrow in more depth, but I believe I've switched the chat from cookie sessions to database sessions. This basically means all the info I need is stored on the server instead of your computer -- which means it should work regardless of what browser you're using.

Here's to hoping, anyway.

Sarevok
08-14-2009, 04:22 AM
for anyone who's able to get into the chat but when they type nothing appears I've found something that works for me. Either turn your cookie settings down, or just set your browser to allow cookies from jsucamel.dreamhosters.com. Can be session cookies if you like.
*does a happy dance*

It WORKS! :D

Sarevok
08-17-2009, 03:20 AM
*tries to get into chat from work*

*cries* *cries some more*

The page tells me to contact te head of the IT department to get a newer browser... Firstly, in a company of thousands of employees, i have no idea who that might be. Secondly, he/she'll ask "What do you need another browser for?" For which I'll have no answer, since I don't need it for work... (well, hardly)

JSUCamel
08-17-2009, 10:40 AM
*tries to get into chat from work*

*cries* *cries some more*

The page tells me to contact te head of the IT department to get a newer browser... Firstly, in a company of thousands of employees, i have no idea who that might be. Secondly, he/she'll ask "What do you need another browser for?" For which I'll have no answer, since I don't need it for work... (well, hardly)

Heh, yeah. Internet Explorer 6 doesn't play nice with the code. See if you can download IE7 or IE8 on your own, though. Another alternative is to buy a USB thumbdrive and install Portable Firefox (http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable) on it.

Depending on how paranoid the IT guys on your system are, you might even be able to just install Portable Firefox on your computer. Basically, it's just a version of Firefox that doesn't need to be installed, just run like a normal program.

Sarevok
08-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Depending on how paranoid the IT guys on your system are, you might even be able to just install Portable Firefox on your computer. Basically, it's just a version of Firefox that doesn't need to be installed, just run like a normal program.
I might be able to do the latter, the first isn't gonna work. The computers are protected against unauthorized USB-sticks. :( It would also be noticable, since there's no way I can justify needing one...

JSUCamel
08-20-2009, 11:19 AM
Sare,

I managed to get it to work with IE6, so if you have IE6 at work, you can access chat.

It won't look nearly as pretty though.

Also, if you don't see chat immediately when you click the Chat link, scroll down.

Sarevok
08-20-2009, 12:00 PM
Sare,

I managed to get it to work with IE6, so if you have IE6 at work, you can access chat.

It won't look nearly as pretty though.

Also, if you don't see chat immediately when you click the Chat link, scroll down.
Hmm, right when my desk gets moved into a full office and I get a lot more stuff to do at work. :(

ShadowbaneX
08-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Camel, any idea if/when you're going to be able to get something set up that shows when people are in the chat?

JSUCamel
08-20-2009, 02:12 PM
Camel, any idea if/when you're going to be able to get something set up that shows when people are in the chat?

That's on Tam's side. I sent him the code that he'll need to add to do it, but he hasn't done it yet.

Sarevok
08-27-2009, 01:59 PM
The room could also use a function that says something along the lines of "Sarevok joined" or "JSUCamel left" when ppl join or leave.
It's quite annoying to find out you've been talking to yourself for 5 minutes. :(

Matoyak
08-27-2009, 10:34 PM
The room could also use a function that says something along the lines of "Sarevok joined" or "JSUCamel left" when ppl join or leave.
It's quite annoying to find out you've been talking to yourself for 5 minutes. :(
heh, yourself per say. You are just talking to whoever will be coming in after you ;)

Sarevok
11-13-2009, 09:02 AM
Now that chat counter that showed how many peopel were chatting worked great... untill Tam took it down again?

Tam could you put it back? Please? :(

Birgitte
11-13-2009, 02:11 PM
Yeah, I noticed that it stopped working. :( I thought it was Firefox, though.

DahLliA
11-17-2009, 12:59 PM
probably a connection issue so not sure anything can be done about it, but this happens from time to time. only send the message once, yet it appears several times

Error connecting to database.
(10:41:40 am) DahLliA: yeah. I saw it
(10:41:44 am) DahLliA: and answered
(10:41:57 am) Sarevok: k, I'm sure you got that one
(10:42:52 am) Sarevok:
(10:46:52 am) Sarevok: now I gtg
(10:48:16 am) DahLliA: latersthen

JSUCamel
11-17-2009, 01:31 PM
probably a connection issue so not sure anything can be done about it, but this happens from time to time. only send the message once, yet it appears several times

Yes, this is a connection issue between the chatroom and the server. It's hosted on my server (not Tam's), and since I'm poor, I've got the cheapest hosting plan, which means the connection won't be top notch. Sucks, but it's the best we've got at the moment.

Matoyak
11-17-2009, 09:22 PM
Now that chat counter that showed how many peopel were chatting worked great... untill Tam took it down again?

Tam could you put it back? Please? :(This. Unless it just bugged out for no reason?

JSUCamel
11-29-2009, 09:36 PM
I scrapped the old chat. Well, it's still around, but for now, I'm gonna let you guys play with a new chat room. The same old chat link should work.

Hopefully this works a little better than my crappy one, and hopefully all of you can use it.

Play around with it, see what you think. Let me know if you run into any problems. I anticipate a few, so I've written a little bot to detect if you've run into what I predict will be the most common problem, and it will offer you some advice if it occurs. Let's hope it works :)

If you're not very computer savvy, you can stop reading now.

For those of you who have a little more computer know-how, you can download a program called mIRC (www.mirc.co.uk) and connect to any Undernet server and join #theoryland.

mIRC is basically a 3rd-party standalone client for IRC (Internet Relay Chat) where the chatroom is based. You can download scripts and add-ons and all kinds of funky stuff to do things. It's pretty nice.

Sarevok
11-30-2009, 09:36 AM
Link is not working...
Not Found

The requested URL /SimpleApplet.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

JSUCamel
11-30-2009, 09:42 AM
Sorry, fixed.

Sarevok
11-30-2009, 09:44 AM
Sorry, fixed.

*goes check*

nope... :(

Sarevok
11-30-2009, 09:50 AM
Working now... a little bit:
Connecting...
Unable to connect : java.net.UnknownHostException : Tampa.FL.US.undernet.org
*goes home*

ttyl

Sarevok
12-02-2009, 09:42 AM
It works when I connect from home, but at work...
Connecting...
Unable to connect : java.net.UnknownHostException : Tampa.FL.US.undernet.org

GonzoTheGreat
12-02-2009, 10:01 AM
I think that when you're at work, Florida does not exist.

Sarevok
03-21-2010, 02:55 PM
It looks like both me and Lurk are having the same problem from home, now... Is the chat just down?

Sarevok
05-08-2010, 10:22 AM
chat seems to be up again? :D

Matoyak
05-09-2010, 12:04 AM
chat seems to be up again? :DNot on my end. Still dead.

Sarevok
08-23-2010, 01:42 PM
Well, I can get in just fine now... just noone on there ever... If anyone goes there, please don't leave right away when there is noone else? Better keep the window open till someone joins. :D

Sarevok
09-07-2010, 03:00 PM
*bump*

*points at previous post*

Anaiya Sedai
09-08-2010, 11:06 AM
does it work now?

Anaiya Sedai
09-08-2010, 11:08 AM
I get a java load error.. :(

Sarevok
09-08-2010, 11:33 AM
An error or something asking you "are you sure?".

If the first, please post the error here, so we can yell at Camel to fix it. If the second, click either yes or no, depending on what the question is. :)

GonzoTheGreat
09-08-2010, 11:55 AM
If the second, click either yes or no, depending on what the question is. :)Are you sure?

Sarevok
09-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Are you sure?

Nope. :p