PDA

View Full Version : Russia-Georgia war 1 year anniversary

yks 6nnetu hing
08-06-2009, 06:07 AM
yep. Thart's tomorrow.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/article/1016/42/380200.htm

and judging from the recent developments, things are most definitely not calming down over there. Russia accuses Georgia of armament and shelling, Georgia says Russia is moving the "border" of South Ossetia more into Georgia proper. A russian merchant was "elected" as the president of South Ossetia and promptly sent a request to join the Russian Federation. There are currently no international observers except for the EU mission and that only on the Georgian side because Russia vetoed the continuation of the UN mission.

EU recently gave a very strong support to the construction of the proposed Nabucco pipeline which would run through Georgia and if it's completed it would be the only gas pipeline from (Middle East) Asia to Europe that does not go through Russia. At the same time Putin and Schroeder's love child, the Nord Stream keeps stumbling as they're running out of money and now it appears that there's an obscure little company that has requested mining rights in Finnish economic waters but close enough to the planned Nord Stream route that the whole thing would need to be re-planned. And apparently since that obscure little company applied first, it has precedence.

Meanwhile, Ukraine has stated that they now have enough backup gas supplies to not be caught in the cold again this winter. This much thanks to the EU granting funds to modernize the pipelines on Ukraine side.

This leaves Russia in a rather awkward situation.

Davian93
08-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Hmm...judging on history, Russia LOVES being left out of the party...they're that drunk uncle that shows up even when he's not invited swigging from a bottle of Vodka.

This might not end well.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-06-2009, 09:22 AM
Add to that the subs off our Atlantic Coastline...

Davian93
08-06-2009, 09:44 AM
Add to that the subs off our Atlantic Coastline...

Russkies don't take a dump without having a plan.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-06-2009, 09:57 AM
Hmmm.... do I need be brushing up on my Russian?

Davian93
08-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Hmmm.... do I need be brushing up on my Russian?

As a gov't flunkie, would I even notice if the Russians took over? Other than being paid in Rubles instead of Dollars that is...

GonzoTheGreat
08-06-2009, 10:36 AM
As a gov't flunkie, would I even notice if the Russians took over? Other than being paid in Rubles instead of Dollars that is...Well, there is the not being paid thing which is rather rampant in the outlying districts (say more than 10 miles from the Kremlin), but apart from that ...

Gilshalos Sedai
08-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Yeah, no more fancy shoes for you.

Davian93
08-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Well, there is the not being paid thing which is rather rampant in the outlying districts (say more than 10 miles from the Kremlin), but apart from that ...

I do it for Love of the Game...not financial reward. Which is good, considering how "well" gov't flunkies get paid.

Yeah, no more fancy shoes for you.

But I need them for visiting the collective farms!!!