PDA

View Full Version : Followup: Sotomayer Confirmed to SCOTUS

Davian93
08-06-2009, 03:10 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/08/06/sonia.sotomayor/index.html

So that's done. Now the Senate can focus on the more important task of an August recess...and that whole economy, two wars, healthcare, immigration reform stuff at some point too.

Crispin's Crispian
08-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Yes, but at least the global War on Terror (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-terrorism-brennan7-2009aug07,0,5394795.story) is over.

Obama's counter-terrorism advisor denounces Bush-era policies
John Brennan accuses the previous administration of promoting a 'global war' mind-set that served only to 'validate Al Qaeda's twisted worldview.'
By Greg Miller

11:35 AM PDT, August 6, 2009

Reporting from Washington — President Obama's counter-terrorism chief rebuked the Bush administration repeatedly today in a speech designed to make the case for an expanded approach to fighting Islamic extremism, just weeks before the anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks.

In his first public appearance as White House counter-terrorism advisor, John Brennan said the Bush administration's policies had been an affront to American values, undermined the nation's security and fostered a "global war" mind-set that served only to "validate Al Qaeda's twisted worldview."

"Rather than looking at allies and other nations through the narrow prism of terrorism -- whether they are with us or against us -- the administration is now engaging other countries and people across a broader range of areas," Brennan said.

The sharp language is likely to extend the war of words between the Obama administration and conservative critics such as former Vice President Dick Cheney, who has carried out an unusually high-profile campaign accusing the new administration of abandoning methods that had made the country safe.

Brennan's speech was the latest in a series of addresses by senior Obama administration figures in recent weeks outlining the president's national security agenda. Brennan emphasized the argument that the United States must move beyond using the CIA and the military to attack Al Qaeda and must work to expand economic and educational opportunities across the Muslim world.

"We cannot shoot ourselves out of this challenge," Brennan said. "If we fail to confront the broader political, economic and social conditions in which extremists thrive, then there will always be another recruit in the pipeline, another attack coming downstream."

Brennan presented what he described as a multitiered approach, including using the U.S. military to train the security forces of allied countries, supporting democratic reforms and directing billions of dollars in aid to impoverished regions of Afghanistan and Pakistan.

But even while seeking to advance the Obama administration's agenda, Brennan often struck a defensive tone. At one point, he decried "the inflammatory rhetoric, hyperbole and intellectual narrowness that has often characterized the debate over the president's national security policies."

Brennan had been a casualty of criticism from the left as Obama was assembling his leadership team. Widely considered a leading candidate to run the CIA under Obama, Brennan, who had spent most of his career in the agency, was forced to withdraw in the face of criticism that he was too closely tied to the harsh tactics employed by the Bush administration.

Brennan complained at the time that his critics were misinformed. Today he denounced the CIA's use of waterboarding and other measures. Such methods, he said, serve only as "a recruitment bonanza for terrorists, increase the determination of our enemies and decrease the willingness of other nations to cooperate with us."

greg.miller@latimes.com

Zanguini
08-06-2009, 04:08 PM
Ive always thought that SCOTUS is one of the more unfortunate Gov't acronyms.

Sei'taer
08-06-2009, 04:30 PM
So that's done. Now the Senate can focus on the more important task of an August recess...and that whole economy, two wars, healthcare, immigration reform stuff at some point too.

You forgot Big Brothering too. Speaking of which, I just sent you snarky little post in to flag@w hitehouse.gov

GonzoTheGreat
08-07-2009, 04:24 AM
Of course, the end of the war on terror doesn't mean that the people who are supposedly locked up on the authority of the presidential war powers in Guantanamo Bay will now be let go. It won't be more than a few months before a new "reason to keep them" is found, and the whole circus of legal challenges can start from scratch.

Sinistrum
08-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Hoorah. I was missing the good old days of the 1800's. We were definitely needing another racist on the Court to bring back that aire of judicial wisdom shown in decisions like Dred Scott and Plessey, and now we've got it back.

As for the White House's so called counter-terrorism expert, I'm sure denying the world view and the tactical implications that world view will force will work out great. And while he's at it, I'm sure he can try sticking his fingers in his ears and going "la la la I'm not listen." Pretending something isn't what it really is and instead substituting it with a fiction that is more comfortable, emotionally satisfying, and supposedly more easy to deal with is great war time strategy.

How's that for some snark for you to forward in Sei?

Davian93
08-07-2009, 11:44 AM
That's about what I expect out of a moronic white man who hasn't had the same life experiences as a wise Latina woman.

Sei'taer
08-07-2009, 11:49 AM
Hoorah. I was missing the good old days of the 1800's. We were definitely needing another racist on the Court to bring back that aire of judicial wisdom shown in decisions like Dred Scott and Plessey, and now we've got it back.

As for the White House's so called counter-terrorism expert, I'm sure denying the world view and the tactical implications that world view will force will work out great. And while he's at it, I'm sure he can try sticking his fingers in his ears and going "la la la I'm not listen." Pretending something isn't what it really is and instead substituting it with a fiction that is more comfortable, emotionally satisfying, and supposedly more easy to deal with is great war time strategy.

How's that for some snark for you to forward in Sei?

Done...I told them your name was Sini Cloudblower and you lived in Cheesypoof, WI.

They're gonna find me, I think.