PDA

View Full Version : RIP John Hughes

Davian93
08-06-2009, 08:33 PM
Wow! Another taken well before his time. He was awesome in the 80s...made a ton of money and then essentially disappeared. A sad day.

Link (http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Movies/08/06/obit.john.hughes/index.html)

'Sixteen Candles,' 'Breakfast Club' director Hughes dead at 59

(CNN) -- John Hughes, the producer, writer and director whose 1980s films such as "Sixteen Candles," "The Breakfast Club" and "Some Kind of Wonderful" offered a sharp-eyed look at teenagers and their social habits, has died, according to a statement from his representative. He was 59.

Hughes died of a heart attack while taking a morning walk in Manhattan, according to the statement.

Hughes, who was also a prolific screenwriter and producer, was at his peak in the 1980s, when his films -- which starred young actors such as Molly Ringwald, Judd Nelson, Anthony Michael Hall and Jon Cryer -- dominated the box office and were hailed by critics for their thoughtful teen protagonists, rarely portrayed with such sympathy in comedies at the time.

Ringwald, in particular, became a star, thanks to her performances as the lead in "Sixteen Candles," "Breakfast Club" and "Pretty in Pink."

"I was stunned and incredibly sad to hear about the death of John Hughes," Ringwald said. "He was and will always be such an important part of my life. He will be missed by me and by everyone that he has touched. My heart and all my thoughts are with his family now."

For a time during the decade, the writer and director was behind two or three films a year. Among his other credits were "National Lampoon's Vacation" (1983), "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" (1986), the Thanksgiving classic "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" (1987) and "Home Alone" (1990). Appreciation: Mourning John Hughes

"He was such a great writer who created so many enduring characters for film, both as a director and a writer. His real gift was in creating these identifiable characters," actor, writer and comedian Steve Martin, who starred in "Planes" with John Candy, told CNN.

"I am truly shocked and saddened by the news about my old friend John Hughes," said actor Matthew Broderick, who starred in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," in a statement. "He was a wonderful, very talented guy and my heart goes out to his family." See a timeline of films Hughes directed

John Hughes was born February 18, 1950, in Michigan. He started his career as an advertising copywriter in Chicago -- the city was later the setting for many of his films -- and by the end of the 1970s was a frequent contributor to National Lampoon magazine. Blog: Seeing Chicago's North Shore through Hughes' eyes

His first screenwriting credit, according to the Internet Movie Database, was as a writer for the "Animal House" TV spinoff, "Delta House."

But Hughes quickly moved over to the big screen, writing 1982's "National Lampoon's Class Reunion," followed the next year by "National Lampoon's Vacation," based on a story he had written for the magazine.

Though critical reception to Hughes' films could be mixed -- such works as "She's Having a Baby" (1988) and "Curly Sue" (1991) were slammed by reviewers -- Hughes had a knack for classic movie lines and images.

Such scenes as Anthony Michael Hall holding Ringwald's panties up high to the stunned appreciation of his friends in "Candles"; Steve Martin's harangue of a rent-a-car clerk in "Planes"; and Ben Stein's economics teacher asking, monotonously, "Bueller? ... Bueller?" in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" have become pop culture touchstones.

Film critic Roger Ebert praised Hughes' empathy in a "Great Movies" appreciation of "Planes, Trains and Automobiles." "What can be said for [Hughes] is that he usually produces a real story about people he has clear ideas about," Ebert wrote, observing that "Planes" "is the only movie our family watches as a custom, most every Thanksgiving."

"The script for 'Planes, Trains, and Automobiles' was the best script I had ever read," Martin told CNN. "I asked John how long it took to write it, he said, 'I wrote it over the weekend.' The weekend. That shows you what he was able to do."

In recent years, Hughes had stepped back from the movie business to spend more time with his family, as well as "maintain a functioning farm in northern Illinois and support independent arts," the statement said.

Hughes is survived by his wife of 39 years, Nancy; two sons and four grandchildren.

Sei'taer
08-06-2009, 09:31 PM
My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw John Hughes pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

I loved that guy. rest in peace.

Birgitte
08-07-2009, 12:57 AM
:(

I love his movies.

Frenzy
08-07-2009, 02:10 AM
Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-07-2009, 09:14 AM
When you grow up, your heart dies. Here's to never really growing up. RIP John Hughes.

tanaww
08-07-2009, 03:28 PM
I am on a mission to force my children to watch non-crappy movies against their will. Last week I made them watch Ghostbusters, Major Payne and The Waterboy. I have Ferris Bueller's Day off scheduled in the DVR for Wednesday. Looking forward to capturing a lot of the John Hughes genius over the next few weeks to subject them to. Go. Me.

Davian93
08-07-2009, 03:58 PM
I am on a mission to force my children to watch non-crappy movies against their will. Last week I made them watch Ghostbusters, Major Payne and The Waterboy. I have Ferris Bueller's Day off scheduled in the DVR for Wednesday. Looking forward to capturing a lot of the John Hughes genius over the next few weeks to subject them to. Go. Me.

I was with you till you said "Waterboy". R U FREAKING KIDDING?!?

"The 1961 Ferrari 250 GT "California". Less than a hundred were made. My dad spent two years restoring this car...it is his love, it is his passion-"

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."

"No Ferris, NO!. You don't understand, he loves this car more than life itself. He never drives it, he just wipes it with a diaper."

"A man with priorities so out of whack doesn't deserve such a fine automobile."

tanaww
08-07-2009, 04:16 PM
I was with you till you said "Waterboy". R U FREAKING KIDDING?!?

Nope. They're 11 and 14. They found it hilarious. And it beats the hell out of six episodes of SpongeBob.

I regularly make them watch Caddyshack and Blazing Saddles too. I can't wait until they'd get the jokes in Dogma.

Davian93
08-07-2009, 04:18 PM
Nope. They're 11 and 14. They found it hilarious. And it beats the hell out of six episodes of SpongeBob.

I regularly make them watch Caddyshack and Blazing Saddles too. I can't wait until they'd get the jokes in Dogma.

A lot of nudity in Caddyshack for kids...

tanaww
08-07-2009, 04:20 PM
A lot of nudity in Caddyshack for kids...

Not the network TV version. I'm not THAT permissive ;)

Davian93
08-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Not the network TV version. I'm not THAT permissive ;)

Oh...okay. I was thinking "Damn, she'd have been the coolest Mom ever as a kid!". Caddyshack and Blazing Saddles are lightyears ahead of "Waterboy".

"Where all the white women at?"

tanaww
08-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Oh...okay. I was thinking "Damn, she'd have been the coolest Mom ever as a kid!". Caddyshack and Blazing Saddles are lightyears ahead of "Waterboy".

"Where all the white women at?"

Well, I am the coolest mom ever but that's not the point.

"Mongo like Sheriff Bart. Sheriff Bart first man ever whip Mongo."

Sei'taer
08-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Well, I am the coolest mom ever but that's not the point.

"Mongo like Sheriff Bart. Sheriff Bart first man ever whip Mongo."

"Excuse me while I whip this out"

Birgitte
08-07-2009, 05:03 PM
http://roflrazzi.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/128940751578362012.jpg

Birgitte
08-07-2009, 05:08 PM
Ed Rooney: I don't trust this kid any further than I can throw him.
Grace: Well, with your bad knee, Ed, you shouldn't throw anybody... It's true.

Frenzy
08-07-2009, 09:31 PM
A naked blond walks into a bar with a poodle under one arm and a two foot salami under the other. She lays the poodle on the table. Bartender says: "I suppose you won't be needing a drink." The naked lady says...

Sei'taer
08-07-2009, 11:39 PM
Breakfast Club (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eifZlYwmDj4)

tanaww
08-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Taer, I watched Roadhouse last night and heard a quote that reminded me of you.
Calling me sir is like putting an elevator on an outhouse.

Sei'taer
08-08-2009, 02:55 PM
Taer, I watched Roadhouse last night and heard a quote that reminded me of you.

Yeah...I like "a polar bear fell on me." too