PDA

View Full Version : I'm back!

ShadowbaneX
08-08-2009, 01:14 AM
I know most of you are probably saying "you left?" but I actually did leave! I was away from an internet connection for 60 hours! It was stressful, but I got to see Fallingwater (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallingwater), so it was worth it. Amazing house, in an amazing landscape. Just wonderful. I suppose when I overcome the lazy I might even post some of the pics if there's any interest.

Also, yes, that means, I did actually set foot in the United States and given the fact that we're all still here means there was no horrible mass destruction caused as a result of this rare event happening.

I do have a question about something I saw there: We (my parents, my aunt and I) had just made it across the boarder and since we hadn't eaten we stopped for a bite to eat. Someone recommended a place called "Cracker Barrel" and sait that it was good...there being a brand of cheese under the same name that's pretty good, I didn't think anything of it.

We get inside, the music's country, which I loathe, but this is the US, and there's bound to be bad taste aplenty so I might as well get used to it. We get in, sit down and then as I was sitting in there, I first noticed that everyone was sorta the same...you know in that pale end of the spectrum (no not Vampires).

Well, this was only a small part of the restaurant, and so I thought I was just wasn't seeing everything and went back to the menu. Then I looked around on the walls and there was a bunch of stuff that just screamed 'the good ole days', you know, cans, cartons of milk, paintings, and so on...stuff from the 40's and the 50's, etc...but all the people in the paintings and the advertisements were...'pale' too.

Then I got to thinking...it was called Cracker Barrel after all. Anyway, the question: is there a whiter restaurant then this place...you know, other those meeting where people dress up in white sheets and I'm not talking about Halloween...then again, this place did have Halloween decorations up. Perhaps it was all just ghosts and vampires.

Frenzy
08-08-2009, 01:19 AM
Vampires are in Transylvania, not Pennsylvania.

Davian93
08-08-2009, 01:25 AM
Cracker Barrel rocks!

I love their faux-Home Cookin'! I wish we had one in VT...the closest one is 4 hours away in Massachusetts.

Never noticed the "whites-only" thing before. Perhaps you were just in a really white area??? Most of PA is pretty white. Outside of the major cities, its probably 95%+ Caucasian.

ShadowbaneX
08-08-2009, 01:26 AM
this was just across the Can/US boarder in either Syracuse or Watertown

Davian93
08-08-2009, 01:32 AM
this was just across the Can/US boarder in either Syracuse or Watertown

Odd...surprised there weren't minorities there considering Fort Drum is right there (if it was Watertown). Syracuse is pretty uniformly white though...though it is a college town.

BTW, did you actually like the food?

ShadowbaneX
08-08-2009, 01:41 AM
I had a burger and it wasn't bad for a fried burger. Generally I prefer them done over fire.

Davian93
08-08-2009, 01:43 AM
I had a burger and it wasn't bad for a fried burger. Generally I prefer them done over fire.

Oh...I usually get their breakfast. Or something like meatloaf which they do pretty well.

Sodas
08-08-2009, 02:57 AM
I'm back!

I'm front, nice to meet you. *ducks*

GonzoTheGreat
08-08-2009, 04:08 AM
Vampires are in Transylvania, not Pennsylvania.But American vampires might be somewhat geographically challenged, just like non-vampire Americans.
And be honest: all those *sylvanias look alike anyway.

Zaela Sedai
08-08-2009, 10:06 AM
youcan't go to Cracker Barrell and get a burger!

And umm...it's pretty pale in upstate New York ;)

Sei'taer
08-08-2009, 10:14 AM
You gotta be old with no taste buds to eat Honky Keg. I went there a few months ago and it was about 50/50....but everything in Memphis is. I only eat breakfast there though. Never had a burger. They have damn good iced tea too.

Davian93
08-08-2009, 11:17 AM
youcan't go to Cracker Barrell and get a burger!

And umm...it's pretty pale in upstate New York ;)

Its pretty racist in upstate NY too. We go to Plattsburgh once in a while (its across the lake from us) and places like Lake George and there's a ton of latent racism there. I'd be scared if I were a minority there. We get stared at when we're there anyway because we've showered recently, we're not wearing denim, and we correctly pronounce our words.

ShadowbaneX
08-08-2009, 11:56 AM
You gotta be old with no taste buds to eat Honky Keg. I went there a few months ago and it was about 50/50....but everything in Memphis is. I only eat breakfast there though. Never had a burger. They have damn good iced tea too.

That's another thing. I know you guys had your reasons for throwing all that tea into the Boston Harbour but that doesn't mean you have to compeletely forget how to make a cup of tea. It's served hot, and usually with milk and sugar.

Also, what's with the sizes. Our medium is your small, our large, your medium and then XL to your L. Then there's this weird supertall thing which you guys call an extra large, but which is essentially an entire pot's worth in one mutantly tall cup.

Davian93
08-08-2009, 11:59 AM
That's another thing. I know you guys had your reasons for throwing all that tea into the Boston Harbour but that doesn't mean you have to compeletely forget how to make a cup of tea. It's served hot, and usually with milk and sugar.

Also, what's with the sizes. Our medium is your small, our large, your medium and then XL to your L. Then there's this weird supertall thing which you guys call an extra large, but which is essentially an entire pot's worth in one mutantly tall cup.

Pretty much why most Americans are fat arses...

Zanguini
08-08-2009, 12:54 PM
When going to Cracker Barrel one must eat chicken fried steak. smashed potatoes and random other vegie... usually corn. and ask for honey butter... yes they have it.

irerancincpkc
08-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Vampires are in Transylvania, not Pennsylvania.
I don't know, I've met some people in PA... :D

MsMoonshadow
08-08-2009, 02:44 PM
I have decided to work on my return, but that is a story\rant for another day.

You had a burger at Cracker Barrell???? shoulda gone with country fried chicken, or some other exotic\very odd sounding fake home make food. (Granted, everything I have tried there is good. But the cornbread is waaaaay too dry.)

ShadowbaneX
08-08-2009, 03:39 PM
MS!!

Been far too long! Glad to see you're returning as well. I looked at the menu and the only thing that really appealed to me was the burger, but my apologies. If I ever find myself returning there I'll try to find something different.

MsMoonshadow
08-08-2009, 03:48 PM
I really can't fuss too much.... the last 5 times i've gone over the last decade, i have had the same thing every time.

And when my class gave me a certifiate for free food at a place, i went with a burger, too. Sometimes it is safer.

And as to the orginal context of your thread in relation to the aforementioned eatery... I have not noticed that, but then again... I have not been near the border to anything whilst at one.

:) arOOO! hi to you, too

ShadowbaneX
08-08-2009, 04:00 PM
I dunno, perhaps I'm just reading too much into it, perhaps it was just this place, but it just seemed so...white, in a 'we don't mind other cultures, as long as they stay out of sight' sorta way.

MsMoonshadow
08-08-2009, 04:15 PM
And some other feelings... the one time on a road trip when we stopped for a bite to eat in a fast food joint in Fulton, KY (right on city may be wrong on state)... the gal (with accent) asked where we were going. So we said we were going down South. Her reply was "Oh! You are going to South Fulton?"

Zaela Sedai
08-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Iced Tea... specially Sweet Tea is more a southern thang SBX... though for some reason they are trying to infiltrate the sweet tea by way of McDonalds.... BLECH

Anywho, I hate both but in New England unsweetend tea is the way we roll when it's cold...

As for the sizes, well most places it's free refills so size doesn't matter, how else are we going to wash down all the food we eat?

Davian93
08-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Iced Tea... specially Sweet Tea is more a southern thang SBX... though for some reason they are trying to infiltrate the sweet tea by way of McDonalds.... BLECH

Anywho, I hate both but in New England unsweetend tea is the way we roll when it's cold...

As for the sizes, well most places it's free refills so size doesn't matter, how else are we going to wash down all the food we eat?

Its a Mid-Atlantic thing too, Zae. Growing up in the Philly area, I was addicted to it...and I still drink it by the gallon whenever possible.

ShadowbaneX
08-08-2009, 06:44 PM
errr...Sweet Tea?

Tea's simple. You boil water, put tea leaves in it, add milk/sugar to your liking (can be none) and that's it. Why do you Americans need to complicate it by drinking it cold?

Zaela Sedai
08-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Its a Mid-Atlantic thing too, Zae. Growing up in the Philly area, I was addicted to it...and I still drink it by the gallon whenever possible.

Philly is the South... DUH ;)

Davian93
08-08-2009, 06:50 PM
errr...Sweet Tea?

Tea's simple. You boil water, put tea leaves in it, add milk/sugar to your liking (can be none) and that's it. Why do you Americans need to complicate it by drinking it cold?

Because it tastes better sweetened and cold.

Sei'taer
08-08-2009, 08:48 PM
I like mine unsweet with lemon. I get a lot of crap for drinking it that way.

MsMoonshadow
08-09-2009, 06:58 AM
I like mine unsweet with lemon. I get a lot of crap for drinking it that way.

Not a surpise tha tyou get a lot of crap. I mean it's supposed to be a gallon of tea and a liter of sugar!

MsMoonshadow
08-09-2009, 07:00 AM
errr...Sweet Tea?

Depends on my mood, and the temperature. Cold or hot, both good. Although I have never added milk... must try that one day....

Davian93
08-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Depends on my mood, and the temperature. Cold or hot, both good. Although I have never added milk... must try that one day....

Isn't that an English thing? ...and likely a Canadian thing too?

ShadowbaneX
08-09-2009, 09:56 AM
probably British. Then again, I'm a savage amongst tea drinkers: I use cream.

GonzoTheGreat
08-09-2009, 10:30 AM
It is indeed British, not merely English.

Davian93
08-09-2009, 10:38 AM
It is indeed British, not merely English.

Well yeah, and Canadia is very British when it comes to certain things...at least Ontario is, not Quebec.

Crispin's Crispian
08-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Odd...surprised there weren't minorities there considering Fort Drum is right there (if it was Watertown). Syracuse is pretty uniformly white though...though it is a college town.

Huh? When was the last time you were there?

Syracuse is pretty uniformly black in the city--any white people with money fled to the 'burbs years ago. The rest are either poor or SU students. And don't forget that the southern part of the city is the Onondaga reservation--so...again...not uniformly white at all.

I don't remember if there was a Cracker Barrell in Syracuse, but I seem to remember one on the freeway between there and Watertown. We never stopped in Watertown though--just pushed through to Kingston when we were touristas.

Davian93
08-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Huh? When was the last time you were there?

Syracuse is pretty uniformly black in the city--any white people with money fled to the 'burbs years ago. The rest are either poor or SU students. And don't forget that the southern part of the city is the Onondaga reservation--so...again...not uniformly white at all.

I don't remember if there was a Cracker Barrell in Syracuse, but I seem to remember one on the freeway between there and Watertown. We never stopped in Watertown though--just pushed through to Kingston when we were touristas.

I was thinking the area around the city, not the city itself...i.e. Upstate NY is very very uniformly white...and racist.

Sei'taer
08-09-2009, 06:05 PM
I was thinking the area around the city, not the city itself...i.e. Upstate NY is very very uniformly white...and racist.

C'mon only southerners are racists. (White southerners, that is.)

Gilshalos Sedai
08-10-2009, 09:04 AM
I hate Cracker Barrel, I've been there once and that was enough, it was pretty pale then, too. And that was in Houston. It's worse food than even Golden Corral. And no, I'm not surprised all you found was whites SBX. Black people seem to have better taste in food. Blech.

Ishara
08-10-2009, 11:13 AM
SBX, you're making us look bad! We have Iced Tea in canada too - and lots of people drink it. I think in the States it's called Sweet Tea.

Haven't you ever had Nestea? Too sweet for me, but pretty good on a hot day.

And yes, I drink my tea with milk, and sweetener.

Davian93
08-10-2009, 11:14 AM
I hate Cracker Barrel, I've been there once and that was enough, it was pretty pale then, too. And that was in Houston. It's worse food than even Golden Corral. And no, I'm not surprised all you found was whites SBX. Black people seem to have better taste in food. Blech.

Its faux Southern cooking...thus, if you live in the South, its unnecessary. If you live in the barren wastes of the North, it is occasionally tasty.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-10-2009, 11:23 AM
If you want decent Southern Cooking, Black Eyed Pea is tons better. Even Luby's.

Cracker Barrell should be banned for being an affront to food, especially fried chicken, everywhere.

Davian93
08-10-2009, 11:24 AM
If you want decent Southern Cooking, Black Eyed Pea is tons better. Even Luby's.

Cracker Barrell should be banned for being an affront to food, especially fried chicken, everywhere.

Never seen either of them...they might be Southern specific.

Crispin's Crispian
08-10-2009, 11:45 AM
It's called sweet tea in the south, but only if it's sweet. I'm pretty sure it's also called iced tea down there too (and it's always just iced tea up here).

Gilshalos Sedai
08-10-2009, 11:47 AM
Actually, you ask for tea. All tea requests are assumed to be iced. YOu must, however, specify "Sweet" with or without lemon.

Davian93
08-10-2009, 11:55 AM
The best sweet tea I ever had was at a steakhouse in Leesville, LA right outside of Fort Polk. Other than that, LA was a craphole that I will be happy to never got back to.

Sei'taer
08-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Good real southern food is all over the place in Memphis and it's local places only. Places like Honky Keg, Lubys and Piccadilly are for tourists who want to feel like they ate southern food.

Mina n Daisy's has the best pork chops and turnip greens I have ever eaten. Gus's if number one for fried chicken. Papa's Soul will make you go home and slap the shit out of your Mama for ever dreaming she could cook and Down South comfort has the best southern buffet ever. For hamburgers, you go to Dyers and for real southern bbq you go to The Rendezvous or Cap'n Johns. The Shanty makes great steaks, cut to order and the best sweet potato pie on the face of the earth. I could go on the but I'm making myself hungry.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-10-2009, 01:05 PM
I figured chains would be easier to be found above the Mason/Dixon, Sei.

Sei'taer
08-10-2009, 01:26 PM
I was agreeing with you.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-10-2009, 01:31 PM
In a circular, roundabout way....

Sei'taer
08-10-2009, 01:34 PM
In a circular, roundabout way....

Oh...well then, I disagree.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Of course you to, you contrary ol' git.

ShadowbaneX
08-10-2009, 03:06 PM
SBX, you're making us look bad! We have Iced Tea in canada too - and lots of people drink it. I think in the States it's called Sweet Tea.

Haven't you ever had Nestea? Too sweet for me, but pretty good on a hot day.

And yes, I drink my tea with milk, and sweetener.
Yes, I've had Iced Tea, Ishy, but that's when I asked for Ice(d) Tea. When someplace advertises Freshly Brewed Tea, I expect it to come in a little pot with steam coming out of it, not in a glass with ice cubes.

SauceyBlueConfetti
08-10-2009, 03:33 PM
A cheeseburger? Really? You have to eat breakfast there. REAL maple syrup. REAL grits (ask for cheese on them). REAL biscuits n gravy.

If you are looking for scary restaurants with potential for race conflicts, knife fights and usually a waitress with a black eye...don't miss Waffle House.

Zanguini
08-10-2009, 03:51 PM
Hmm at least we dont put Vinegar on our fries.

And they dont come with cheese curds and gravy.

GonzoTheGreat
08-10-2009, 04:07 PM
I figured chains would be easier to be found above the Mason/Dixon, Sei.I thought that it was the folks below that line which had fought to keep the chains, while the ones above it wanted to abolish them.

ShadowbaneX
08-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Hmm at least we dont put Vinegar on our fries.

And they dont come with cheese curds and gravy.
don't even get me started on how you American massacre French Fries...

Sei'taer
08-10-2009, 04:09 PM
French Fries...

Don't you mean "freedom fries?"

That should tear Gonzo up...lmao.

Zanguini
08-10-2009, 04:21 PM
Now ive eaten french fries cooked in six (seven if you count luxembourg) different countries including canada and canadians rank near the bottom of the list.
USA
Germany
France
Belgium
the Netherlands
Canada
Italy

JSUCamel
08-10-2009, 04:38 PM
in six (seven if you count luxembourg) different countries

lmfao, rep!

Davian93
08-10-2009, 05:13 PM
I like Vinegar and gravy on my fries...its pretty standard fare in VT. But then we are half-Canadian to begin with.

Sei'taer
08-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Somebody needs to come visit me in Memphis so we can take an eating tour of the town. Maybe SoE will come down too and we can feast until we puke and then satrt eating again.

Just a few places to get y'all thinking about true love.

We'll hit Alcenia's:

Alcenia's is a modest lunch room decorated in a style that is an intriguing mix of 1960s psychedelic beaded curtains, primitive folk art, and odes to African-American culture. Proprietor B.J. Chester-Tamayo, who named the restaurant for her mother and granddaughter and opened it as therapy to get over the untimely death of her son, is known to Memphians not only for her homey food but for her hugs.

Yes, she does give hugs to everyone who comes in, no matter how busy they are. Everyone is also "Baby."

Four Way Grill: (forgot about this one earlier)

If you're looking for legendary soul food, this is it. Eat dessert first, and try the velvety sweet potato pie. Then dig into some juicy fried green tomatoes, pork chops, catfish or chicken and round it out with black eyed peas and crumbly cornbread

Awesome all around food.

And, Ernestine and Hazel's. Just for the atmosphere really. It's an awesome place to just sit and talk...and listen.

Upstairs was once a noisy brothel; a couple of barflies have apparently turned out to be ghosts. And there you have it, just another all-American dry-goods-store-turned-watering-hole, where God knows how many broken hearts have been avenged and vendettas executed. Maybe that's the genesis of naming the "Soul Burger," which they cook up behind the bar and which both the tourists and regulars hunt down with great expectations. The jukebox is, of course, legendary, packed deep with Memphis soul and funk and country. Doors open at five, and the buzz here doesn't pick up until about midnight, but if you're in the know, or are a curious first-timer, you can creep upstairs and snoop through the old brothel, duck into various rooms laid out with retro vinyl sofas and damaged kitchen tables that all looks rather morbid under the dim blue lights, where even the emptiness reeks of seedy doings. Keep snooping, down the hall, toward the room at the far corner, where the bar's neon sign outside the window provides just enough light, and where you'll find Nate, a black septuagenarian bartender who's just...well...waiting for you, even at the dullest hours. It's as if you somehow died on the stairs and the River's edge. And here’s old Karen listening to a small radio with the volume set low, not really much louder than the buzz of the sign, ready with a stygian brew. You drink your brew, and you can either talk to him or just sit there, he doesn't really seem to care either way. But if you do get him talking, there's badass local history to be gleaned, for sure.

Belazamon
08-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Just a few places to get y'all thinking about true love.Frig, I'm hungry now. I haven't been out to eat in ages, let alone anywhere new.

Ishara
08-11-2009, 08:04 AM
When someplace advertises Freshly Brewed Tea, I expect it to come in a little pot with steam coming out of it, not in a glass with ice cubes. Oh. Yeah. For sure.

Dav - Vinegar and gravy? Not at the same time though, right?

Davian93
08-11-2009, 08:11 AM
Oh. Yeah. For sure.

Dav - Vinegar and gravy? Not at the same time though, right?

Not usually. I tend to have a cup of vinegar and a cup of gravy and dip the fries into one or the other. Both are standard condiments for fries in VT. Both are quite tasty too.

GonzoTheGreat
08-11-2009, 08:17 AM
Dav - Vinegar and gravy? Not at the same time though, right?The way I heard it, the vinegar was necessary to prevent the gravy from clogging up your digestive system. Though using that much gravy may be a British peculiarity.

Davian93
08-11-2009, 08:21 AM
The way I heard it, the vinegar was necessary to prevent the gravy from clogging up your digestive system. Though using that much gravy may be a British peculiarity.

Malt vinegar on fries just tastes right...can't explain it. Especially when its a Fish and Chips type of meal. There's this awesome restaurant on Essex, NY (other side of the Lake from me) that serves the best Fish and Chips in the area. Although, the best Fish and Chips I've ever had is a little shack right off the main ferry on Martha's Vineyard. The fish is completely fresh (usually literally fresh as of 10-15 min of your order) and they use perfect batter to cook it in. Also, they do fresh oysters on the halfshell and they are typically oysters from the Vineyard itself so they are completely fresh. We probably eat at this shack at least 5-6 times in the week we go down there...great great food.

Gravy on fries is better than ketchup or anything else other than vinegar. Aroudn here, you can order fries with either dark or light gravy depending on your mood...yes, I realize that VT is basically a foreign country.

Sei'taer
08-11-2009, 08:36 AM
Best fish and chips I ever had was at a place called The Royal Mile in Des Moines. Served in a cone shaped piece of wax paper with malt vinegar dumped in and lots of salt and pepper. I had a Speckled Hen to wash it down. It was fabulous!

Oh...I like Heinz 57 on my fries

Ishara
08-11-2009, 11:34 AM
I like mayo sometimes. Yummy in small quantities. But ultimate fry topping is poutine.

Davian93
08-11-2009, 11:34 AM
I like mayo sometimes. Yummy in small quantities. But ultimate fry topping is poutine.

What's poutine?

Edit: Nevermind, yeah, that stuff's good. I didn't know the name of it.

Ishara
08-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Really? Mmmm mmmm poutine. Best thing to ever come out of Quebec!

Cheese curds + gravy + fries = AWESOME.

Davian93
08-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Really? Mmmm mmmm poutine. Best thing to ever come out of Quebec!

Cheese curds + gravy + fries = AWESOME.

I just didn't know its proper name...yes, it is very good.

Matoyak
08-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Damn Sei, now I'm super hungry...again. (Not that that is unusual...it is pretty much a permanent thing...)

And I like either Ketchup, Honey Mustard, or Barbecue Sauce on my french fries. (Did they actually originate from France, btw? Always been curious...)

Davian93
08-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Damn Sei, now I'm super hungry...again. (Not that that is unusual...it is pretty much a permanent thing...)

And I like either Ketchup, Honey Mustard, or Barbecue Sauce on my french fries. (Did they actually originate from France, btw? Always been curious...)

I have no idea but I would guess so. The French bistro in Burlington, VT (Leunig's Bistro) has awesome fries that come in a cone shaped holder with newspaper lining. They put something wicked tasty spices/flavoring on them.

Sei'taer
08-11-2009, 01:26 PM
do y'all have tater logs up north?

Zanguini
08-11-2009, 10:46 PM
French fries originate in the USA and are named so because of how they are cut.

I perfer mayo+ketchup
I also like sweet and sour sauce.

Ishara
08-12-2009, 07:28 AM
do y'all have tater logs up north? Not that I know of....don't think so. But then, we don't have waffle-cut fries either.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-12-2009, 07:52 AM
They're called French Fries because some idiot couldn't say jullienned.

Davian93
08-12-2009, 08:33 AM
They're called French Fries because some idiot couldn't say jullienned.

Well, "Jullienned Fries" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Hey, it worked for the original food processor and ginsu knife commercials. "It slices, it dices, it makes jullienned fries!"

Sei'taer
08-12-2009, 08:46 AM
Not that I know of....don't think so. But then, we don't have waffle-cut fries either.

Bummer for y'all. There's nothing like the goodness of a battered tater log and a fried burrito. (of course, fried burrito is on the banned list for Taer)

Zanguini
08-12-2009, 08:47 AM
Said tater log and burrito must come from a gas station or perhaps walmart. But the logs from walmart usually arnt very large. Crispitos are also a valid substitution for fried burrito.

Davian93
08-12-2009, 08:48 AM
Said tater log and burrito must come from a gas station or perhaps walmart. But the logs from walmart usually arnt very large. Crispitos are also a valid substitution for fried burrito.

What's a "tater log". Are they like tater tots?

Sei'taer
08-12-2009, 09:42 AM
What's a "tater log". Are they like tater tots?

It's a potato thats been quartered (or so) and battered with some type of spicy crunchy goodness and deep fried. Tasty.

Davian93
08-12-2009, 10:06 AM
It's a potato thats been quartered (or so) and battered with some type of spicy crunchy goodness and deep fried. Tasty.

Sounds tasty...deep frying makes everything better.

Ishara
08-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Oh. We call those potato wedges. Which is what they are. They're not even remotely log-shaped. Crazy Americans.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Well call them potato wedges here, too. Crazy Easterners.

Zanguini
08-12-2009, 11:15 AM
potato wedges are much smaller and made with new potatoes. Potato logs are much larger from mature potatoes. JoJos are a special breed of potato wedges which are fried in a spicer blend of spices and are generally smaller. Potato logs are man sized.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Dunno where you're buying your wedges from, but down here, they're made from full-sized potatoes.

Brita
08-12-2009, 11:16 AM
I am seriously at a loss as to how you all can talk so much about food.

I keep peeking at the thread thinking "They must have moved on to something else..."

But no, it's still about food :p

Sei'taer
08-12-2009, 12:02 PM
I am seriously at a loss as to how you all can talk so much about food.

I keep peeking at the thread thinking "They must have moved on to something else..."

But no, it's still about food :p

I'd think you'd be interested after all the seal blubber and moose steaks. A change would prolly be good.

Zan, I agree. I like jojos but tater logs are way better. I take texas petes and mix it with the ketchup on my tater logs but not on my jojos cause they have a good amount of spiciness with the ketchup alone.

To everyone else. I'll get a pic of one and post it if I can.

ShadowbaneX
08-12-2009, 02:00 PM
I'm still waiting to unlazy myself and actually upload the pics from Fallingwater. With any luck they'll even be posted this year!

Brita
08-12-2009, 02:12 PM
I'd think you'd be interested after all the seal blubber and moose steaks. A change would prolly be good.

Here in Thunder Bay we have our own little treasure called a "Persian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_(pastry))".

http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/draft_lens1481837module15810802photo_1234582426Per sion.jpg

Dammit! How did I get sucked into this topic?

Zanguini
08-12-2009, 02:43 PM
You know i actually like
Pountines
perogis
kraft dinner
canadian bacon...
I believe thats all the canadian food i know of.

Sei'taer
08-12-2009, 04:04 PM
Here in Thunder Bay we have our own little treasure called a "Persian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_(pastry))".

http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/draft_lens1481837module15810802photo_1234582426Per sion.jpg

Dammit! How did I get sucked into this topic?

We have those. They're nasty as shit. Strawberry...yiiiiuccckkkkk. Pardon me while I go vomit. (I'll eat pershings all day though)

ShadowbaneX
08-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Native to Ottawa, we've got Beaver Tails (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaver_tail_(pastry)). Even Obama (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/88/Barack_Obama_and_well-wisher_in_Ottawa_2-19-09.jpg) has tried one.

Ishara
08-13-2009, 07:25 AM
Mmmmm beaver tails!

GonzoTheGreat
08-13-2009, 07:43 AM
Native to Ottawa, we've got Beaver Tails (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaver_tail_(pastry)). Even Obama (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/88/Barack_Obama_and_well-wisher_in_Ottawa_2-19-09.jpg) has tried one.Of course, every Democrat president gets tail on every possible opportunity. That's not news, is it?

Ishara
08-13-2009, 10:27 AM
Brita, I meant to ask...what the heck is a Persian?

JSUCamel
08-13-2009, 10:31 AM

...did you not see the rest of that post or click the link?

Brita
08-13-2009, 10:53 AM
We have those. They're nasty as shit. Strawberry...yiiiiuccckkkkk. Pardon me while I go vomit. (I'll eat pershings all day though)

Mmmmmmmm....strawberries :p

Davian93
08-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Mmmmmmmm....strawberries :p

Keep talking...:D

Brita
08-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Keep talking...:D

~~blushes~~

Now you got me all flustered...do I mention whipped cream or don't I...

Davian93
08-13-2009, 11:47 AM
~~blushes~~

Now you got me all flustered...do I mention whipped cream or don't I...

Giggity.

Brita
08-13-2009, 01:09 PM

I'll bring you one next time we meet :D

Ishara
08-13-2009, 02:11 PM
Can't click the link. :( All I see is a donut covered in nasty looking strawberry topping...

Brita
08-13-2009, 02:13 PM
All I see is a donut covered in nasty looking strawberry topping...

Take that back or I won't bring you one! Hmpf.

(the link is a Wiki page, maybe it's blocked at your work?)