PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy

yks 6nnetu hing
08-10-2009, 08:13 AM
sorry if this has already been discussed

I read it. Finished yesterday. Thanks, Isa, for giving us the first book :D

actually, I liked them so much that I apparently talk in my sleep - Dai said that one night I was telling him how "I was burning tin, like usual..." I don't know... I don't usually talk in my sleep at all. ever. He likes them too, btw ;) he's nearing the end of the 2nd book now.

And I've got to say, it was really really REALLY good. The first book of the three is the best, probably because the originality of the magic system and the world just blows you away - can't reinvent the magic system in books 2 and 3, right? well, wrong - a little bit, in this case.

The plot was interesting, pace very good, character-building probably intentionally uneven (meaning, in one book there's more attention on some characters that in other books get less attention, but it's all explained in the end). Especially in the third book I could see really well how Sanderson can pull the multiple POV thing off in WOT

and now for spoilers:

OMG, what a bunch of lunatics! I didn't realize what Vin's earring was until the middle of the third book and then it was, like, duh! OF COURSE it's her dead sister's Bronze-burning ability. And I completely didn't see the role Sazed had to play in the end battle (although I read online that some other people found that really obvious), although I didn't really "buy" the whole Vin = Hero of the Ages idea either, and Elend suited the role even less. I really liked how TenSoon was developed in book 2 and 3, very cool :D

Davian93
08-10-2009, 08:32 AM
Yeah, the 1st book was probably the best of the 3 but you could easily see a progression in Brandon's writing throughout the books (even though he wrote them all at the same time).

I thought that the development of the Church of the Survivor provided an interesting subplot and showed Brandon's understanding of human nature. The source of the atium was also interesting as well as the final solution by Sazed.

Yeah, I didn't figure out the earing thing with Vin either but it was so bloody obvious once it was laid out there to see. Kudos to Brandon for that and for a very original magic system.

Brita
08-10-2009, 08:40 AM
Woohoo! Ya, we've discussed it a few times, but I am always glad to see another WoT fan read Sanderson's stuff. It is really good. He is original and his storytelling is amazing. I am now a fan of his, in his own right :)

The earing couldn't really be foreseen any earlier I think, because the explanation came early in book 3, iirc. Until it was revealed how burning ability could be transferred, it would be pretty hard to deduce, I think.

That is so funny that you were dreaming of burning tin....as usual, lol!

Gilshalos Sedai
08-10-2009, 09:10 AM
OK, I was planning on waiting to buy his stuff till after The Gathering Storm, but what's the first one, in case Bryan and I are unable to overcome temptation next time at B&N?

Brita
08-10-2009, 09:12 AM
OK, I was planning on waiting to buy his stuff till after The Gathering Storm, but what's the first one, in case Bryan and I are unable to overcome temptation next time at B&N?

Oh no! if you read this thread there have been acouple of major spoilers....:(

Davian93
08-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Oh no! if you read this thread there have been acouple of major spoilers....:(

Yup, several major spoilers.

Zaela Sedai
08-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Yks - you guys should pick up Elantris. It was his first novel, and you can tell, but also very good.

I love Sanderson's stuff! It's why I've never been worried about him taking the reigns for WoT :D

yks 6nnetu hing
08-10-2009, 09:29 AM
I did say there were spoilers - should've put it in the header though and I can't change now :(

but, if you can wait for a few weeks until you forget about what was written here then maybe you can buy the Mistborn book - that's the name of the first one.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-10-2009, 09:33 AM
I skipped over those sections. I promise.

Brita
08-10-2009, 09:35 AM
I did say there were spoilers - should've put it in the header though and I can't change now :(

You made your spoilers obvious, but mine were just right there in the text, naked and exposed. I should have been more careful. :(

And yes, Elantris was good too. Another whole magic system that was well thought out and logical.

Davian93
08-10-2009, 09:53 AM
Anyone finish reading Warbreaker yet? I bought it but haven't started it...

Brita
08-10-2009, 10:06 AM

My no-good bookstores don't have it in stock. So I decided to wait for the paperback.

cathar
08-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Warbreaker shows that B.S. is only improving as a writer. The story is good, with a fairly unique magic system. Warbreaker is a very good book that should be read by anyone who still somehow doubts his ability to finish AMOL.

Crispin's Crispian
08-10-2009, 10:20 AM
I just finished the trilogy about a month ago, and I really enjoyed it. I particularly liked how well crafted it was--just enough detail and depth to drive the story, but not enough deep-dark-ancient mystery to make it frustrating.

And, man, can BS write action scenes. I'm very excited about that aspect of aMoL, because it should have a ton of action. Plus it's obvious BS knows how to wrap up a story.

Brita
08-10-2009, 10:30 AM
And, man, can BS write action scenes.

That is so true!

And his visual description and invention is amazing. I can vividly see the cloaks swirling in the mist, the skin hanging off the koloss, the ash falling from the sky and blanketing everything. It's like he wrote it to be made into a movie...the visual effects in a movie adaptation could be breathtaking if done right.

Davian93
08-10-2009, 10:36 AM
That is so true!

And his visual description and invention is amazing. I can vividly see the cloaks swirling in the mist, the skin hanging off the koloss, the ash falling from the sky and blanketing everything. It's like he wrote it to be made into a movie...the visual effects in a movie adaptation could be breathtaking if done right.

Yes, it was definitely his strength in the books. I even liked the book set up of 400 pages of set up followed by 150 pages of non-stop action. He essentially used that layout in all 3 books of the series and it worked.

JSUCamel
08-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Sanderson is easily one of my favorite authors now.

Warbreaker is a complete departure from his other books - it's funny, witty, and moving. He continues his trend of coming up with new, innovative magic systems. Like Elantris, Warbreaker is a standalone novel. Very well done.

The first book, since nobody has actually said it, is Mistborn: Final Empire (I always think "duh" when I see that). The second is "Well of Ascension" (wells go down.. how do you ascend?) and the third is "Hero of Ages" (well, let it never be said that Sanderson is good at coming up with titles).

It's all good, man.

Crispin's Crispian
08-10-2009, 11:46 AM
The first book, since nobody has actually said it, is Mistborn: Final Empire (I always think "duh" when I see that). The second is "Well of Ascension" (wells go down.. how do you ascend?) and the third is "Hero of Ages" (well, let it never be said that Sanderson is good at coming up with titles).

That depends on which edition you have. My (PB) copy of the first book is just "Mistborn," and I think that was the title before the other books came out and he had to differentiate.

Leanne
08-10-2009, 01:02 PM
I am a huge fan of Sanderson. His magical systems are definitely unique and well thought out. I've read Elantris, Mistborn series, and Warbreaker, and loved every one of them. Though you can definitely see a progression in his writing. Warbreaker was fantastic, very fast paced and exciting. I was hooked from the very beginning and could not wait to get out of work to read it.

I am partially glad he was chosen for WoT because maybe I would have eventually read his works, but certainly not this soon. On top of enjoying his works, I think he is one heck of a nice guy and genuinely cares for his fans.

Belazamon
08-10-2009, 01:40 PM
That depends on which edition you have. My (PB) copy of the first book is just "Mistborn," and I think that was the title before the other books came out and he had to differentiate.Actually it was sort of the other way around, IIRC - people were apparently getting confused that the first book was called "The Final Empire." ;)

Zanguini
08-10-2009, 03:44 PM
One of my favorite lines from a book now is the first line of Hero of Ages.

"I regret to inform you that I am the Hero of Ages"

Birgitte
08-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Hey, Gil, I've got the whole Mistborn trilogy if ya'll just want to read it, no buy it. Or read it before you buy it. :D

And I love B.S. Vin's first fight scene in Hero of Ages is so Bad Ass. I'm waiting for paperback for Warbreaker, just because I prefer paperbacks, but I really enjoyed Elantris, as well.

yks 6nnetu hing
08-11-2009, 03:47 AM
I know, I know, but I have a line of books waiting - I've the History of Histories to finish, I'm halfway through the Foundation and Empire, and I want to read the third of the series too (not that it's that large a book, but still), Robin Hobb's new book is out and soon there'll also be the new installment by Diana Gabaldon, and i've got this Guy Gavriel Kay book waiting... Oh, and the Ender's Shadow series (I've the first of those on the shelf, waiting). And I have some regular history books still to be read...

Belazamon
08-11-2009, 01:26 PM
I'm halfway through the Foundation and Empire, and I want to read the third of the series too (not that it's that large a book, but still)I definitely liked the trilogy, but the "next two" books just didn't have the same feel. Y'know, for what it's worth. :D

Sei'taer
08-11-2009, 01:29 PM
I definitely liked the trilogy, but the "next two" books just didn't have the same feel. Y'know, for what it's worth. :D

yup...I agree. Skip the last two.

Brita
08-11-2009, 01:45 PM
yup...I agree. Skip the last two.

I agree too, but don't skip the last two- they are still good, just maybe not as good.

Brita
08-11-2009, 03:22 PM

I just realized I can read Warbreaker online. Not my favourite, I like the feel of old-fashioned paper in my hands, but it might be hard to resist while I wait for paperback....

Davian93
08-11-2009, 03:26 PM
I just realized I can read Warbreaker online. Not my favourite, I like the feel of old-fashioned paper in my hands, but it might be hard to resist while I wait for paperback....

Books online suck...its just not the same as having a real copy of it. I don't think I could ever replace actually owning a copy of the book that works regardless of electricity and/or internet availability.

Zaela Sedai
08-11-2009, 06:51 PM
I made my Library order it... and they recognized me from making them order the Mistborn Trilogy as it came out LOL... They told me "Good call" and I explained why he was gaining popularity so fast, etcetc. I am not buying it yet because I'm hoping he sells the HC on his website, I have all his other HC books signed by him and want this one too, lol. I'm getting spoiled.

tworiverswoman
08-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Camel was kind enough to get me a signed copy of Hero of the Ages at the Atlanta Con -- and I love how BS signed it. Camel explained to him that he was getting me book three, but that I only had book one so far -- so getting me book three should "force my hand" to get book two, as well.

So Brandon wrote "Buy my book ... or else!" when he signed it. Cracks me up every time I open it.

I have to say I love having him on my Facebook friend list -- it's fun to read the offhand status remarks he posts from time to time. (I added him to my "Theoryland" group for obvious reasons...)

Zaela Sedai
08-11-2009, 08:03 PM
He's hysterical... I love it

Davian93
08-11-2009, 08:25 PM
He's hysterical... I love it

Now I regret not bothering to go to his signing in Montreal...damn.

Frenzy
08-11-2009, 10:17 PM
Possible spoilers.

i recently finished reading the Mistborn trilogy as well. And i have to say i was pleasantly surprised. They were good. They didn't blow me away, but i really enjoyed reading them. It had a few of the classic fantasy clichés, but it had fun with them to the point that they didn't feel cliché. He left out the glaringly obvious ones (farm boy, ancient weapon, gratuitous sex scene, etc.) which i really didn't miss. i was also impressed how he managed to write a mega-happy ending while also killing off his main charaters.

and i thought Elend would be the HoA, since his name was similar to Alendi's. But that would've been cliché, wouldn't it? ;)

JSUCamel
08-12-2009, 01:48 AM
and i thought Elend would be the HoA, since his name was similar to Alendi's. But that would've been cliché, wouldn't it? ;)

I always thought it was just a red herring -- he did it on purpose to throw you off track.

yks 6nnetu hing
08-12-2009, 06:20 AM
I agree too, but don't skip the last two- they are still good, just maybe not as good.
I know... I'm almost to the end of the second one in the trilogy and it just seems to... drag. weird, considering it's such a small book.

spoilers

i recently finished reading the Mistborn trilogy as well. And i have to say i was pleasantly surprised. They were good. They didn't blow me away, but i really enjoyed reading them. It had a few of the classic fantasy clichés, but it had fun with them to the point that they didn't feel cliché. He left out the glaringly obvious ones (farm boy, ancient weapon, gratuitous sex scene, etc.) which i really didn't miss. i was also impressed how he managed to write a mega-happy ending while also killing off his main charaters.

and i thought Elend would be the HoA, since his name was similar to Alendi's. But that would've been cliché, wouldn't it? I agree about the ending. and I somewhat agree on the leaving cliche's out - I would have liked a little more on the relationship between Vin and Elend. Most of the time they were either separated or on a battlefied, at some point I actually wondered if BS wanted to break them up before the end.

Zanguini
08-12-2009, 08:45 AM
Brandon signed my book. "There is always another secret."

As he signed my copy I told Brandon that fairy and I are together because of RJ. And if someday we get married and then divorced we will blame him.

jason wolfbrother
08-15-2009, 09:56 PM
Yes BS can write an action scene. and twists galore. to be honest I saw Sazed's role early on but totally missed the earring, even after it was mentioned and pointed out in the book I still didn't get how she was "spiked". took me three more chapters before the light went on. lol:confused: :o I haven't read "Warbreaker" yet but I do intend to as soon as possible. Real life keeps interfering with my reading time dang it ;)