PDA

View Full Version : G. I. Joe

Gilshalos Sedai
08-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Haven't seen anyone start this yet, so I thought I would.

Bryan and I hadn't been planning on seeing it, but we ended up going to a matinee Sunday with his family.

We both found it entertaining, if cheesy. And how they worked in, "Knowing is half the battle," made us both groan. I don't know how Dennis Quaid said it without giggling.

But, it was nice to see Damon Wayans actually survive a non-comedic movie for once. Every one I've seen he's died.

Davian93
08-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Thought it was great. I wasn't going into it expecting a good plot or anything else resembling a Dramatic movie. As far as big bang summer blockbusters go, I liked it far more than Transformers. And though Sienna Miller tried to take the worst female action star acting trophy away from Megan Fox, she didn't come close.

I read some reviews afterward and you could tell that none of the people that wrote them had ever been a GI Joe fan. Some of the criticisms: "Why was Sienna Miller wearing a brown wig and glasses?" Um, gee, I don't know...MAYBE BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT THE BARONESS LOOKED LIKED!!!

I wish General Hawk had a bigger role but it was still pretty good...and what was up with Brendan Frasier barely getting into it? I assume a good portion of his scenes were edited out and his role expands in the sequel.

3 Stars.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-10-2009, 12:27 PM
It was like a Mummy Reunion. I assume Brendan Fraser was playing Flint? What, is Rachel Weiss going to play Lady Jaye?

They've already got the sequel planned?

And correction to my first post, it was Marlon Wayans, not Damon. I can't keep the brothers' names straight.

Davian93
08-10-2009, 12:35 PM
It was like a Mummy Reunion. I assume Brendan Fraser was playing Flint? What, is Rachel Weiss going to play Lady Jaye?

They've already got the sequel planned?

Apparently, all the actors signed 3 picture deals and its making money so I assume there will be a sequel. Its already made over $100 million worldwide with a budget of $170 millionish. So I assume they'll eventually pull in a profit and guarantee a sequel.

Sinistrum
08-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Yeah, B and I both were entertained by it. I liked it a lot because Cobra actually won.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Uh, Cobra always won. Every time they escaped it was a win.

Sinistrum
08-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Yeah but I'm talking an actual win, not a live to fight another day win.

EDIT: SPOILERS

They got Zartan in the Oval office. That's a huge win.

Davian93
08-10-2009, 02:43 PM
Yeah but I'm talking an actual win, not a live to fight another day win. They got Zartan in the Oval office. That's a huge win.

Might want to label Spoilers....

Belazamon
08-10-2009, 02:52 PM
I wasn't terribly interested in it, but my buddy had an extra ticket so I said what the hell.

It was a cheesy, explody, fun summer popcorn flick. Pretty much exactly what TF2 should have been.

123seem
08-10-2009, 03:53 PM
I found it most enjoyable ,but did they really need the flashbacks....I think not. Maybe in the next movie they will have more characters from the 80's cartoon series. BTW Ray Park was Snakeyes... too bad nobody could tell.:)

Gilshalos Sedai
08-10-2009, 04:23 PM
And the whole triangle between him, Ripcord and Scarlett is going to be funny if they expound on it in the second.

irerancincpkc
08-10-2009, 05:39 PM
But, it was nice to see Damon Wayans actually survive a non-comedic movie for once. Every one I've seen he's died.
I was going to mention Requiem for A Dream, but he spiritually died there, I think...

Birgitte
08-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Yeah, what Sini said... It was fun. Good flick

So. Who else thinks that Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Rex) is just unnatural? Has he aged at all since he was in 10 Things I Hate About You ten years ago? No, I don't think so.

Belazamon
08-10-2009, 06:18 PM
So. Who else thinks that Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Rex) is just unnatural? Has he aged at all since he was in 10 Things I Hate About You ten years ago? No, I don't think so.He's definitely older than he was in "3rd Rock From the Sun."

Incidentally he's also currently the lead in (500) Days of Summer, which is a fantastic movie. If it's playing anywhere near any of you, I recommend it.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-11-2009, 09:40 AM
He's definitely TALLER than he was in "3rd Rock from The Sun."

And Spammer, never saw Requiem. So my statement still stands. ;)