PDA

View Full Version : Moron Pet Owner Allows Dog to Die

Davian93
08-12-2009, 11:33 AM
http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/crime/2009-08-11/story/gator_kills_dalmatian_at_jacksonvilles_hanna_park

Sorry, but this really pissed me off and made me really sad. I feel so bad for the dog. The owner should be shot for his stupidity...or better yet, tied up and left by the same lake. His dog trusted him and he basically killed it the same as if he had shot it in the head.

If you're gonna have a dog, take some damn responsibility and take care of it, you bastard.

~sad~:( :( :(

Gilshalos Sedai
08-12-2009, 11:59 AM
We have alligators in the lakes in our neighborhood. NO ONE lets their dog off-leash near them. There aren't too many people that like walking around them, for that matter. But, in that guy's defense, even if they'd been on leash and he'd still let them drink out of the lake, they'd probably both be dead. Important safety tip: DON'T LET YOUR DOGS GO IN GATOR INFESTED WATER.

Davian93
08-12-2009, 12:02 PM
We have alligators in the lakes in our neighborhood. NO ONE lets their dog off-leash near them. There aren't too many people that like walking around them, for that matter. But, in that guy's defense, even if they'd been on leash and he'd still let them drink out of the lake, they'd probably both be dead. Important safety tip: DON'T LET YOUR DOGS GO IN GATOR INFESTED WATER.

Yeah but he'd be warned several times, it was a leash only area, there were big signs that said "BEWARE OF ALLIGATORS", etc, etc. The guy essentially murdered his dog through laziness and now is mad that the city doesn't clear out the alligators...he's in FLORIDA for godsake...there are alligators everywhere down there. They should charge him with cruelty to animals.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Yeah, and for the most part, there hadn't been any gator activity in the area according to that guy and the ranger. As a matter of fact in our neighborhood, no one's seen one since the first sighting since the neighborhood opened.

But you're right, as far as a gator is concerned, unseen is worst kind.

Actually, judging from the rest of the article, that park is lucky that all the gator got was a dog. What if it had been a child whose parents hadn't listened?

Davian93
08-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Yeah, and for the most part, there hadn't been any gator activity in the area according to that guy and the ranger. As a matter of fact in our neighborhood, no one's seen one since the first sighting since the neighborhood opened.

But you're right, as far as a gator is concerned, unseen is worst kind.

Actually, judging from the rest of the article, that park is lucky that all the gator got was a dog. What if it had been a child whose parents hadn't listened?

What's the difference?

GonzoTheGreat
08-12-2009, 12:22 PM
What's the difference?If some people had tied their child to a tree and then it was eaten by a gator, they would undoubtedly sue the park for damages.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-12-2009, 12:25 PM
The dog wasn't tied to a tree. It was off-leash. And an unsupervised child is pretty much like an off-leash dog.

Dav: To you and me there's little difference, but to the rest of the world there's a huge one.

Ivhon
08-12-2009, 12:48 PM
I believe I read in there that the park was set up to be a wildlife preserve?

I dont know what that means legally, but if you leave your kid running around loose in Jellystone and Yogi eats him, I dont think you get a lawsuit...

Crispin's Crispian
08-12-2009, 01:05 PM

I dont know what that means legally, but if you leave your kid running around loose in Jellystone and Yogi eats him, I dont think you get a lawsuit...
Especially if your kid kicks him in the nads.

Zanguini
08-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Gators are often hired by bears to be stealthy assassins that dalmation obviously got to close to the truth that bears are out to take over the world. I am lucky that Gators cant read or else i would be in trouble.

Birgitte
08-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Can't read ~dramatic pause~ That you know of.

Ivhon
08-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Gators are often hired by bears to be stealthy assassins that dalmation obviously got to close to the truth that bears are out to take over the world. I am lucky that Gators cant read or else i would be in trouble.

This part makes me larff. Silly gators...go Vols!

Zanguini
08-12-2009, 02:47 PM
I would appreciate it greatly if the University of Tennessee would when they play Florida inflict many injuries so when Arkansas plays them two weeks later we will stand more of a chance.

of course i only ask this because Arkansas does not play TN this year, but next year.

tworiverswoman
08-12-2009, 08:06 PM

Actually - it just says it's a "natural habitat" which, as far as I can tell, means you can expect to find things living in it.

When I was eight years old, I lived in Jacksonville -- right close to the St. John's river - and there was a little bitty offshoot from the river that ended up not too far from my house. I was, as I said, eight, and therefore very very stupid. I can remember running like hell from an alligator that was chasing me and some friends -- I think we'd been lobbing twigs at it or something to get it to move... oops? We ran right through the middle of my (older) brother's sandlot baseball game... they had no idea what was going on.

Good time. ~smiles in fond reminiscense~

Brita
08-13-2009, 08:23 AM
Yikes! Tru, that's crazy.

I read the article and thought "So, he let his dog drink from the lake? What's the big deal?"

Of course that was my initial reaction being from Northwestern Ontario where we don't have to fear death leaping up from the lake.

Unfortunately, this sad story will be a valuable lesson for others. The man obviously loved his dog (he tried to wrestle him free from the alligator after all), but he was indeed incredibly foolish and ignorant, and he is responsible.

Sinistrum
08-13-2009, 12:21 PM
People not adhering to leash laws is a personal pet peeve of mine. One of my prior clients was on a motorcycle going down a residential district street when some dumbass let his dog out off a leash. The dog ran right in front of my client and caused him to swerve into a parked car. He now has next to no function in his left arm due to nerve damage caused by the crash that will probably never heal.

People don't seem to get that when they own a pet they are responsible for everything it does. That means if a dog plays in traffic and causes a wreck or bites a neighborhood child, its your fault. That's why we have leash laws in the first place.

Crispin's Crispian
08-13-2009, 12:59 PM
People not adhering to lease laws is a personal pet peeve of mine.
It's absolutely one of mine, too. It's especially bad if you're walking (or worse, running) with a leashed dog and the unleashed dog(s) decides it's time to play or fight.

"It's OK, he's friendly!"

That's nice, but I don't give a shit. You're lucky my dog is nice, else might think your tiny Yorkie is just an annoying snack.

tanaww
08-13-2009, 01:20 PM
I would just like to rant about dumb pet owners in general. Mother f'ers who can't carry a baggie and clean up after their dogs ruin lots of great trails for the rest of us.

And nothing would give me greater pleasure than my wonderful Champ Bailey (an English Springer Spaniel so as friendly and harmless as they come) dealing with an unleashed canine rat in the appropriate fashion. I really hate yippy little dogs.

Zanguini
08-13-2009, 02:37 PM
This is one reason i like cats.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-13-2009, 02:58 PM
The first time Kira ever met a yapper dog, she really did look like she was considering it for a snack.

This was, however, in puppy kindergarten.

tworiverswoman
08-13-2009, 02:59 PM
Cats get eaten by alligators, too. And are as close as makes no never-mind IMPOSSIBLE to keep on a leash.

Florida is just a really bad place for outdoor pets. There are a lot of poisonous snakes in addition to the watery predators.

And Ontario has MOOSE, Brita (mooses?) -- something I don't have to worry about finding randomly walking through my neighborhood, at least.

Nor snakes, either, yay! Except for the occasional oddball smuggler who brings in a concealed reptile then decides to release it "into the wild" when it becomes a 15-foot python...

Gilshalos Sedai
08-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Cats get eaten by alligators, too. And are as close as makes no never-mind IMPOSSIBLE to keep on a leash.

Florida is just a really bad place for outdoor pets. There are a lot of poisonous snakes in addition to the watery predators.

Houston isn't a good place for them either. But not nearly to the magnitude of Florida, that's for certain.

Brita
08-13-2009, 03:07 PM
And Ontario has MOOSE, Brita (mooses?) -- something I don't have to worry about finding randomly walking through my neighborhood, at least.

Actually, survivorman (http://lesstroud.ca/) (mmmmmm....survivorman.....)says that a moose in rut in the most dangerous animal in the boreal forest. So ya I guess you're right. I was about 10 feet away from a young bull moose when I was 13 years old. Came out on the road while I was biking by. As I continued to bike by it, as calmly as I could, I said sternly "Don't come near me." It snorted and disappeared back into the bush. Aaaah memories.

But still, we ain't got nothing on you guys when it comes to dangerous wildlife. Our wildlife is fairly shy and reclusive, and you don't get in much trouble unless you go searching for it. If I was lost in the forest around here, I wouldn't even be concerned about wildlife, only the elements and starvation.

GonzoTheGreat
08-13-2009, 03:16 PM
And Ontario has MOOSE, Brita (mooses?) -- That plural is really easy. I'll give you a hint, I suspect that you're clever enough so that I won't need to spell it out.
The plural of goose is geese, so the plural of moose is ...

Brita
08-13-2009, 03:18 PM
That plural is really easy. I'll give you a hint, I suspect that you're clever enough so that I won't need to spell it out.
The plural of goose is geese, so the plural of moose is ...

Ahhh- the English language is a thing of beauty.

Sei'taer
08-13-2009, 03:52 PM
, so the plural of moose is ...

moose. The plural of grouse is....?

GonzoTheGreat
08-13-2009, 04:06 PM
moose. The plural of grouse is....?Oh, I can figure that one out.
Let's see, the plural of mouse is mice, so the plural of grouse is ...

Orc
08-13-2009, 05:37 PM
The plural of grouse is grease. Seriously. Have you ever tried to eat one? Yuck.

Davian93
08-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Actually, survivorman (http://lesstroud.ca/) (mmmmmm....survivorman.....)says that a moose in rut in the most dangerous animal in the boreal forest. So ya I guess you're right. I was about 10 feet away from a young bull moose when I was 13 years old. Came out on the road while I was biking by. As I continued to bike by it, as calmly as I could, I said sternly "Don't come near me." It snorted and disappeared back into the bush. Aaaah memories.

But still, we ain't got nothing on you guys when it comes to dangerous wildlife. Our wildlife is fairly shy and reclusive, and you don't get in much trouble unless you go searching for it. If I was lost in the forest around here, I wouldn't even be concerned about wildlife, only the elements and starvation.

Les is correct. A moose in rut can be quite deadly.

Crispin's Crispian
08-13-2009, 06:40 PM
Les is correct. A moose in rut can be quite deadly.
Unless it's stuck, that is.

Davian93
08-13-2009, 06:47 PM
Unless it's stuck, that is.

ba dum tum...

Belazamon
08-13-2009, 10:03 PM
ba dum tum...I believe you're looking for this (http://www.instantrimshot.com/).