PDA

View Full Version : Zombie danger

GonzoTheGreat
08-18-2009, 07:07 AM
Recently, some scientists studied the likely consequences of a zombie attack (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8206280.stm). They concluded that, unless quickly countered, the zombies could take over a big city in a matter of days.
In their scientific paper, the authors conclude that humanity's only hope is to "hit them [the undead] hard and hit them often".

They added: "It's imperative that zombies are dealt with quickly or else... we are all in a great deal of trouble."Of course, some do not agree that the situation is as worrying as that:
"The paper considers something that many of us have worried about - particularly in our younger days - of what would be a feasible way of tackling an outbreak of a rapidly spreading zombie infection," said Professor Ferguson, from Imperial College London.

However he thinks that some of the assumptions made in the paper might be unduly alarmist.

"My understanding of zombie biology is that if you manage to decapitate a zombie then it's dead forever. So perhaps they are being a little over-pessimistic when they conclude that zombies might take over a city in three or four days," he said.In my opinion, he underestimates the problem of decapitating a human body, particularly one that isn't volunteering for the procedure.

Then there is the problem of how to get them to line up and await their turn, if two dozen zombies show up at your house.
Though this problem may be easier when dealing with British zombies: those are genetically predisposed to queuing up, after all.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Wait... someone wrote a paper on this????

Anaiya Sedai
08-18-2009, 09:29 AM

kinda what I thought....:rolleyes:

Davian93
08-18-2009, 09:33 AM

Considering the huge current threat from zombie attacks, we should be applauding this man's vigilance, not ridiculing it.

Frenzy
08-18-2009, 10:19 AM
There's a Zombie Pub Crawl going on in downtown SJ tomorrow night, culminating with a showing of Shaun of the Dead in the park. Who knew San Jose could be so cool?

(unfortunately i can't go cuz of kids' soccer practice. damn.)

yks 6nnetu hing
08-18-2009, 10:49 AM
has anyone read this? I hear it's actually quite good... er... funny-wise

http://www.eeriebooks.com/horror/book-club/pride-prejudice-zombies.jpg

Gilshalos Sedai
08-18-2009, 10:52 AM
I've heard it's good, too. I need to get that.

yks 6nnetu hing
08-18-2009, 11:03 AM
yeah... I haven't read the original either. I read Emma and then was done with Jane Austen...

apparently there's something about Mr. Darcy in a pond? maybe it'll be better with zombies :D

Gilshalos Sedai
08-18-2009, 11:16 AM
Well, I loved the original. Hope Mr. Darcy gets to be a badass.

Davian93
08-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Well, I loved the original. Hope Mr. Darcy gets to be a badass.

Mr. Darcy, played by Bruce Campbell....

Orc
08-18-2009, 12:57 PM
I think the strangest thing in that article is not that someone wrote a paper on zombie outbreaks, but that the person in question is a "Dr. Smith?" with the question mark a part of his name.

ShadowbaneX
08-18-2009, 02:59 PM
I think the strangest thing in that article is not that someone wrote a paper on zombie outbreaks, but that the person in question is a "Dr. Smith?" with the question mark a part of his name.
I also find it amusing that the Universities involved are the U of O and Carleton...why couldn't I study Zombie when I was there?

Verin Mathwin
08-18-2009, 09:07 PM
I bought Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, but I haven't gotten around to reading yet. Though, I like the original.

Matoyak
08-19-2009, 06:49 AM
This made me think "DAMN I wanna see Welcome to Zombieland" That movie looks freakin' rediculous.
(EDIT: This might also just be titled "Zombieland"...not totally sure what it was called.
I was paying more attention to the whole "Banjo-to-zombie-head" action rather than the name...)

GonzoTheGreat
08-19-2009, 07:58 AM
Should our governments start building dead-zombie-processing-plants, just in case?
I mean, after you've killed the twenty or so that were cluttering up your front garden, how do you get rid of the corpses in an environmentally friendly way?

yks 6nnetu hing
08-19-2009, 08:11 AM
Should our governments start building dead-zombie-processing-plants, just in case?
I mean, after you've killed the twenty or so that were cluttering up your front garden, how do you get rid of the corpses in an environmentally friendly way?
compost

oh, wait, that defies the purpose of not getting infected with zombie-germs

GonzoTheGreat
08-19-2009, 08:21 AM
Plus, if composting dead bodies were as easy as that, more people would've done it.

yks 6nnetu hing
08-19-2009, 08:25 AM
Plus, if composting dead bodies were as easy as that, more people would've done it.
it's mainly the smell, I think

StrangePackage
08-19-2009, 11:00 AM
I think we need to analyze this paper for certain questions-

For instance, what kind of zombies are these? Kenyan Track Star Zombies? Shamblers? Is death after infection the only way to produce, or can any corpse re-animate regardless of death circumstances?

These questions, IMO, are critical in determining the applicability of the report.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-19-2009, 11:02 AM
I agree. I think we must demand a copy of said report to determine its validity in producing effective Anti-Zombie Defenses.

ShadowbaneX
08-19-2009, 12:10 PM
I know a few people at one of the universities. I'll pass along the questions and see that perhaps more research can be done.