PDA

View Full Version : District 9 and other news

Matoyak
08-19-2009, 06:41 AM
I'm mildly surprised that this movie has not been mentioned here hardly at all (If at all? If it has, my apologies). I will not post any spoilers for anybody who wishes to see it themselves, but I will say that I loved it. Anyone else here seen it? I have personally been a fan of Niell Blomkamp's shorts and suchlike ever since I started looking him up out of curiosity when he was supposed to be directing the Halo movie. I am very happy to see that he has the chops to direct a good feature-length film. Looking forward to more movies from him.

And in other news, I move out for my dorm on the 20th, so I do not quite know when I will be having internet, or just how bad/good the internet will be when I do get it set up. So if I go missing for a week or so, that's why. ;)

Mort
08-19-2009, 10:22 AM
It premiers here sometime next week. Gonna go see it then. Seems to be pretty cool. Alien apartheid sounds interesting

Gilshalos Sedai
08-19-2009, 10:35 AM
A friend in my office saw it. She liked it. Bryan and I may see a matinee at some point, but we'll definitely be looking for it on DVD, at the very least.

StrangePackage
08-19-2009, 11:04 AM
It's a good movie. It has decent pacing, and though many of the human characters are a little two dimentional, the main character is very well acted and very compelling.

Parts of this movie will hurt your soul to watch. Other parts are high impact action and just fun sci-fi.

It strikes a good balance, and the action sequences lead me to believe that if this director is doing Halo, then Halo will be a very fun movie.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Yeah, my friend said the aliens were very sympathetic and the humans were very obviously the bad guys for the most part. Which is what I gathered from the previews.

Belazamon
08-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Agreed on the "good movie" bit.

Also, probably the best-integrated CGI I've ever seen. And I have a good (annoyingly good actually) eye for CG, sot that's saying quite a bit.

StrangePackage
08-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Agreed on the "good movie" bit.

Also, probably the best-integrated CGI I've ever seen. And I have a good (annoyingly good actually) eye for CG, sot that's saying quite a bit.

Agreed. I'm known for usually loudly and angrily decrying too much CGI, but in this movie, for whatever reason, I didn't feel like I was watching CGI- I felt like I was watching a documentary.

Matoyak
08-19-2009, 11:26 PM
Agreed. I'm known for usually loudly and angrily decrying too much CGI, but in this movie, for whatever reason, I didn't feel like I was watching CGI- I felt like I was watching a documentary.
Niell Blomkamp used to be a Special Effects guy. Before he did directing, he was a CGI dude. Could be a good part as to why the CG turned out as well as they did.

Ishara
08-20-2009, 09:25 AM
It's the soul-hurting bits that make me not want to see the movie. Same as the Time Traveller's Wife (for obviously different reasons). Won't go see a movie that I know will make me cry or make me lose sleep.

But it DOES look good. I know when I'm sympathizing with shrimp on commercials, I'm in trouble.

Sei'taer
08-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Same as the Time Traveller's Wife (for obviously different reasons).

That's a career destroying movie right there. I'll be missing it too, but for much different reasons.

Ishara
08-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Whose career is it destroying exactly? I've heard it's gotten decent reviews despite the complicated storyline, so it can't be that bad - just fraught with emotion.

Belazamon
08-20-2009, 07:10 PM
It's the soul-hurting bits that make me not want to see the movie. Then this might not be the movie for you. It's seriously uncomfortable in lots of places.

Personally I think that's a very good sign for a movie. (Not a knock against you.)

Matoyak
08-20-2009, 09:51 PM
Then this might not be the movie for you. It's seriously uncomfortable in lots of places.

Personally I think that's a very good sign for a movie. (Not a knock against you.)
Agreed.

VERY minor spoilers ahead. Not really spoilers, but you can get the mood of...eh. Read at your own risk.

My girlfriend (who loves "touching" movies) can be quoted as saying: "I HATE HIM!" "Ok, ok, no I don't..." "D'Aawwwwww!" "Oh you fucking prick(s)!" "I hate all humans!" "I love him/them!" All right after each other multiple times.

Turns out, District 9 ended up being her favorite movie she has ever seen.

There are times where even the uber-males in the theater were up in arms. Great, just really great. It was really good to see even those jackass jock types (the ones who generally laugh when something cruel happens in a movie) shouting "oh you asshole(s)!" at key points.

Ishara
08-21-2009, 10:14 AM
Bela, I think it makes for AWESOME movies, but I'm a delicate emotional flower and choose not to see them. Case in point: haven't seen Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan or the Notebook (not all in the same sphere of awesome, I know). That's not that I don't recognize the impact and importance of these films to our understanding of events, or that they should be uncomfortable and raw. I know all that - but I do well enough at that stuff on my own, you know?

And yeah, the barely veiled references to apartheid (among other things) would kill me. I have to admit that just reading Mato's gf's reaction had me convinced I don't want to watch it.;)

Birgitte
08-21-2009, 07:23 PM
I didn't really have any interest in the Time Traveler's Wife until I saw Rachel McAdams on the Daily Show. Jon Stewart can make anything interesting. lol

RogueSavior
08-21-2009, 09:27 PM
Here i was under the impression Rachel McAdams made anything interesting ;)

Anyway, I want to see District 9. I want to see Inglourious Basterds. Could be a busy time, considering many, many things.

Jokeslayer
08-22-2009, 04:17 AM
I want to see Inglourious Basterds

You should. It's great.

JSUCamel
08-23-2009, 05:19 AM
I saw District 9 tonight. I thought it was well acted, well directed, well conceived, and well animated (CG-wise). I did feel, however, that it fell short emotionally. I never felt like the main character was in any real danger. The ending just felt inevitable.

There wasn't a single point in the whole movie where my "soul hurt". I was expecting more of a social commentary on human brutality, and it didn't deliver. It just felt like an action flick mashed up with a documentary.

I just didn't care about any of the characters. Maybe that makes me inhuman or whatever, but I never felt any sort of emotional pull at all. I mean, the kid was cute, but he was never in any real danger.

I just expected more suspense and more "omg, is he gonna make it?"-ness, and I never did wonder.

There are movies where I'm tense and constantly wondering what's going to happen next, and in this movie, I never felt that. I was grossed out a little bit in some scenes, and I winced a few times when body parts were about to be chopped off, but overall, it didn't excite me.

*shrug* I'll give it a 7/10 rating, but I feel it fell short of a truly great film.

Ishara
08-24-2009, 08:32 AM
We saw Inglorious Basterds on Saturday night - it was pretty good actually. I went in with a significant degree of trepidation since "stuck in the middle with you" has been ruined for me by Tarantino, but it was really good.

My biggest problem is that he starts off with ascenes of amazing tenseness and fear and then ruins what was a well-paced movie with two unneccessarily long bar scenes that cut the movie in the middle.

Bottom line: The actor (Christophe Waltz) who played Landa was effing scary. Disturbing as all get out. Great use of subtitles and language and slipping between three in several scenes (I had forgotten that Diane Kruger spoke German!) Excellent climax, funny ending. Good, entertaining movie and about a billion times better than Kill Bill.