PDA

View Full Version : I'm officially feeling old

Sei'taer
08-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Went down today and moved my daughter into Ole Miss. We got all the heavy stuff moved up to the fifth floor and then the elevator broke, so we got lucky that we didn't have to carry the refrigerator or the TV up all the stairs.

She also got the biggest room on the floor. She had a walk-in closet and a 16 x 22 room. ALl the other girls on the floor were coming down to gawk at how big her room was compared to the rest of the rooms.

I'm really proud of her. She is going to get her civil engineering degree and then move on to an enviromental law degree. I figure that will probably change as she goes, but then again, she has always said she wanted to be a lawyer so maybe she'll do it.

Anyway, just wanted to brag on my oldest kid going to college.

(I still hate Ole Miss Football, don't tell her I said so though)

RogueSavior
08-21-2009, 08:18 PM
To be fair, Snead will probably help Ole Miss pound on the SEC West this year. So hating them is to be expected...

Davian93
08-21-2009, 08:22 PM
Taer's old...really old.:p

Frenzy
08-22-2009, 01:01 AM
congrats 'taer. :)

my youngest starts kindergarten on monday.

Dragon Thief
08-22-2009, 01:24 AM
Not only do you feel old, 'taer, you tend to smell old, from what some of your Facebook posts say.

Matoyak
08-22-2009, 03:52 AM
Lol, congrats to her! Engineering, eh? My major is Aerospace, might double-major to Mechanical. Going for an honors degree as well, though, so I dunno.

Lol, lawyer with engineering? That sounds like something that needs to happen more often...

Terez
08-22-2009, 07:24 AM
Dorm rooms at Southern Miss come equipped with mini-fridges. WTF is wrong with Ole Miss? They're supposed to be the uppity school in MS. That's where all the kids go that want to major in Greek.

Sei'taer
08-22-2009, 09:17 AM
Dorm rooms at Southern Miss come equipped with mini-fridges. WTF is wrong with Ole Miss? They're supposed to be the uppity school in MS. That's where all the kids go that want to major in Greek.

I didn't know community colleges had dorms, much less dorms with fridges. Thats just crazy.

Terez
08-23-2009, 02:53 AM
There is more to a university than being in a decent sports conference, you know.

GonzoTheGreat
08-23-2009, 03:54 AM
There is more to a university than being in a decent sports conference, you know.Here in Europe, yes. But is that also the case in the USA? :p

Terez
08-23-2009, 04:26 AM
Here in Europe, yes. But is that also the case in the USA? :p
I don't know about that. I have seen some Europeans get pretty freaky about sports (mostly at Malazan), but come to think of it, I don't pay enough attention to be sure if they pay any attention to university sports.

GonzoTheGreat
08-23-2009, 06:26 AM
Europeans can indeed get rather freaky over sports*. But as far as I know, it is not tied to universities at all. Universities do have sport as something you can do there in your spare time, but in general it is just a hobby. Sort of an exception could be rowing, but even that is only taken really seriously in England, where Oxford and Cambridge go head to head once a year. And if a bunch of fanatical supporters runs into the Thames in order to get to the guys on the other side, they have a lot of opportunity to cool off before arriving at their destination.

* Well, sport, at least. While there have been pitched battles with fatalities over soccer, I don't think anything resembling that has ever happened amongst korfbal fans.

Ivhon
08-23-2009, 09:34 AM
There are universities you go to for an education with premium sports, and there are universities you go to for a premium education and that might have sports too. Very few provide elite academics and elite sports.

Interestingly, if you go to an elite academic school it does not bar you from being just as rabid a fan of one of the elite sports schools.

I think I need to caffeinate before posting...

StrangePackage
08-23-2009, 06:31 PM
Ole Miss girls are hot. This begs the question- where did Taerina get her genes from?

Terez
08-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Well, none of the MS universities are really elite at anything. Ole Miss pretends to be, because they have the law school (and med school too, but that's in Jackson, not in Oxford, I think), but that's really about all they've got going for them as far as competing with MS State and Southern Miss. None of them are 'elite', but all of them have respectable, accredited programs, and they all have strengths and weaknesses. The music department is one of my school's strengths (which is why I came here - yeah, it's the closest to my home town, but that's just a convenient coincidence - if Ole Miss had the best music department in the state, I would have gone there...or to LSU). Polymer Science is also one of my school's strengths - I think we have one of the leading programs in the nation.

As far as sports go...Ole Miss and MS State have long been members of the SEC (South-Eastern Conference) for sports, which has some really good teams in it and is considered to be a good conference. Southern Miss, on the other hand, has never been a part of that conference, and only recently (about 12-13 years ago) became a member of C-USA (conference USA). It is a new conference and not yet really respected, because the teams in it don't generally do well against teams in the SEC or other major conferences.

Sei'taer
08-23-2009, 07:12 PM
She really loves engineering (so does my 13 yr old, but he's more for mechanical/computer. He wants to build robots). After talking to all the engineers I know, they recommended she go into enviromental law because thats going to be the big law degree in the future and if she has a degree in civil engineering then she can roast a civil on the stand. Anyway, she'll be good at it if she has the patience to stick with it. Oh yeah, the law school is why she went to Ole Miss.

SP...I think shes very pretty but shes my daughter so that skews my view.

Terez
08-23-2009, 09:17 PM
She really loves engineering (so does my 13 yr old, but he's more for mechanical/computer. He wants to build robots). After talking to all the engineers I know, they recommended she go into enviromental law because thats going to be the big law degree in the future and if she has a degree in civil engineering then she can roast a civil on the stand. Anyway, she'll be good at it if she has the patience to stick with it. Oh yeah, the law school is why she went to Ole Miss. My senior year we had a recruiter from Ole Miss come to my AP European History class for the kids that might be interested in the law school (everyone knows it's easier to get in if you did your bachelor's there, but she didn't say that straight out). She told us it was almost impossible to get in without something very close to a 4.0 GPA, which was good info. That's the kind of stuff I was talking about in the thread a while back about the girl who sued her school cause she couldn't get a job with her 2.something - stuff they usually don't stress enough to kids. Back to the recruiter, she also mentioned that you could get into the law school with any kind of bachelor's degree so long as you had the grades. Even a music degree. That was also good info.

I had a cousin that did agricultural engineering at State, but he ended up switching to business management and now has graduated and runs a bowling alley in Starkville.

Sei'taer
08-23-2009, 10:42 PM
My senior year we had a recruiter from Ole Miss come to my AP European History class for the kids that might be interested in the law school (everyone knows it's easier to get in if you did your bachelor's there, but she didn't say that straight out). She told us it was almost impossible to get in without something very close to a 4.0 GPA, which was good info. That's the kind of stuff I was talking about in the thread a while back about the girl who sued her school cause she couldn't get a job with her 2.something - stuff they usually don't stress enough to kids. Back to the recruiter, she also mentioned that you could get into the law school with any kind of bachelor's degree so long as you had the grades. Even a music degree. That was also good info.

I had a cousin that did agricultural engineering at State, but he ended up switching to business management and now has graduated and runs a bowling alley in Starkville.

She graduated high school with a 3.8 and has 16 college credits for calculus, trig, chemistry, physics and something else (I forgot, I'm terrible, I know). She couldn't get the college calculus because she had to take the sophomore class and there were no openings. She decided to take college algebra instead and go on from there. Probably a good move since it will be easier for her and get her in the groove of college life. She was most excited about her art classes. She is a really good artist and really wanted to take some college art classes.

Frenzy
08-24-2009, 12:18 AM
i remember taking a college art class along with O-Chem, physics, finite math... man i had SO much fun with that sandblaster.

Terez
08-24-2009, 02:19 AM
haha, all the science-y majors bitch about organic chemistry, and Marie says all physics profs are boring. I don't know what finite math is, though...

I have never taken an art class. It's not one of my talents.

yks 6nnetu hing
08-24-2009, 04:34 AM
European universities and sports... um... There was an World-championship-going cross country skier in the IT department and I'm sure more elsewhere while I went to Uni, but usually the sports types tend to go for sport education or sport medicine or something along those lines - you know, since a sportsman's carreer doesn't last very long usually.

'grats Taer :) soon she'll be partying all days and drinking all nights and still getting excellent grades, I'm sure!

Art classes... I took Old French, does that count? but then, that was after I burned myself out trying to go to Uni for history and Art school for painting at the same time - and then aftr I crashed there was soooo....muuuuchhh...tiiimmeee and I found TL.

Ishara
08-24-2009, 07:38 AM
Yay for Taer! Congratulations! And call her more than yo uthink you should (at least for the first little bit). Makes it easier to be a bit homesick if someone beats you to the punch.

Zanguini
08-24-2009, 08:08 AM
The music department is one of my school's strengths (which is why I came here - yeah, it's the closest to my home town, but that's just a convenient coincidence - if Ole Miss had the best music department in the state, I would have gone there...or to LSU). Polymer Science is also one of my school's strengths - I think we have one of the leading programs in the nation.

There's not really another reason to go to Hattiesburg.

And Ole Miss is over rated.

Here only the apartment dorms come with fridges and they are the full model.

You know I almost considered going to So Miss. They have a broadcast meteorology degree that seemed interesting I would have had to leave the Air Force at the time and owe them twice the amount of time I wanted off for.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-24-2009, 08:54 AM
Congrats, Sei!

Terez
08-24-2009, 09:13 AM
European universities and sports... um...
You know, the question comes up as to how you guys do your sports recruiting. For American football, baseball, and basketball, the new pro players are drafted from a pool of mainly university players. Especially in football, by the time the draft rolls around, most of the draftees are pretty famous from their university careers. No one skips college - in fact, it's a pretty big deal when sometimes college players skip their senior year to enter the draft (without graduating). Usually that only happens when the player in question is especially famous, and pretty much guaranteed to have a good career ahead of them.

Sarevok
08-24-2009, 03:42 PM
You know, the question comes up as to how you guys do your sports recruiting. For American football, baseball, and basketball, the new pro players are drafted from a pool of mainly university players. Especially in football, by the time the draft rolls around, most of the draftees are pretty famous from their university careers. No one skips college - in fact, it's a pretty big deal when sometimes college players skip their senior year to enter the draft (without graduating). Usually that only happens when the player in question is especially famous, and pretty much guaranteed to have a good career ahead of them.
Most, if not all, major clubs have their own youth programs. I'm on my way to bed so I won't go into detail now. :)