PDA

View Full Version : War on terror comment

GonzoTheGreat
08-26-2009, 05:06 AM
This thread is sparked by a comment in this article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8221265.stm):
"The Iraq war was different from this war," a US marine in Afghanistan's Helmand province told a BBC reporter recently. "That was definitely a war on terrorism. Here I don't know. No-one even mentions 9/11 any more. That's why I went to Iraq."My question is: is that US marine really as clueless and uninformed as he seems, or am I misinterpreting what he says?

First, he seems to link the war on terror to the war in Iraq, even though those were totally unrelated. The war in Iraq was started because the USA wanted to invade Iraq, not because of any links to the war on terror at all.

Second he says that he has no idea at all what the war in Afganistan has to do with 9/11.

Third, he makes some sort of connection between 9/11 and Iraq, which is an idea that even Cheney has started denying he ever tried to sell.
If Cheney does not think he can sell an idea, then a US marine, who is supposedly a grown up, should not believe it, I would say.

Kurtz
08-26-2009, 05:46 AM
Possibly to do with the way the wars are being fought. Iraq is carbombs and other predominantly 'terrorist' methods, while Afghanistan has become a more traditional 'hand to hand' conflict. That's what I think he means anyway.

GonzoTheGreat
08-26-2009, 05:58 AM
From what I've read, most of the casualties in Afganistan are due to road side bombs and the like, so it wouldn't seem to be all that different in that regard.

yks 6nnetu hing
08-26-2009, 06:01 AM
It made me think of this:
http://www.defenselink.mil/news/casualty.pdf

it's all going to potty.

Ishara
08-26-2009, 07:17 AM
All I know is that a Canadian soldier (or two dies at least once every couple of weeks, just due to roadside bombs in Afghanistan. Not a whole lot of hand to hand.

yks 6nnetu hing
08-26-2009, 07:32 AM
yes. two Esonian soldiers died just last Sunday (and four more were wounded) due to a roadside bomb.

Gilshalos Sedai
08-26-2009, 07:57 AM
Iraq aside, I think the point he was trying to make is that no one even mentions "Remember 9/11!" anymore over there.

To contrast, Texans still "remember the Alamo."

Zanguini
08-26-2009, 07:59 AM
No one accused marines of being the brightest of the lot.

He probrably joined up after 911 and when he joined he believed the WMD excuse. As someone overseas you really dont pay much attention to the politics in the US.

Sei'taer
08-26-2009, 08:28 AM
From what I've read, most of the casualties in Afganistan are due to road side bombs and the like, so it wouldn't seem to be all that different in that regard.

My stepbrother was working his way through the mountains next to his best friend almost 2 weeks ago when a sniper blew his friends brains out. They were in that big push with the marines to root out the taliban. He's 22 and when I look at his pictures on FB he looks 40. He still believes he is doing the right thing though. He loves the Afghani people. He said he was amazed by the reception they got, especially from the women. He said the women are still so pitiful and oppressed it makes him sick to his stomach, but they say it is better than when the taliban was running the country.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that roadside bombs get the coverage because of the "scare" value, but there is still a lot of fighting going on.

Ishara
08-26-2009, 09:41 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean to undermine the actual fighting, but Canadians aren't coming home dead fom fighting. That maty be because they're there for NATO to help train and advise the police forces and to assist in rebuilding (such as it is). Don't know for sure.

yks 6nnetu hing
08-26-2009, 09:52 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean to undermine the actual fighting, but Canadians aren't coming home dead fom fighting. That maty be because they're there for NATO to help train and advise the police forces and to assist in rebuilding (such as it is). Don't know for sure.
speaking of the canadian dead...
http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/2009/afghanistan-troop-casualties/

GonzoTheGreat
08-26-2009, 10:01 AM
No one accused marines of being the brightest of the lot.

He probrably joined up after 911 and when he joined he believed the WMD excuse. As someone overseas you really dont pay much attention to the politics in the US.I don't think it is moral to go out killing people unless you actually know why you are doing that.
It is probably one of the reasons why I would have made a lousy soldier, but I wouldn't want to take part in a war unless I knew why it was the right thing to do.
A mere "someone else tells me to go kill them" (often formulated as "soldiers have to follow orders") wouldn't be enough to make the action moral. Not even if the one doing the telling happens to be correct.

Davian93
08-26-2009, 10:35 AM
Since when did 9/11 have anything to do with the War on Terror?!?

Ishara
08-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Ouch. Thanks yks. I had NO idea it was that bad. I will say that right now it's because we (Canadians I mean) are the leaders of the NATO force. That will change eventaully. But still...knowing the reason doesn't negate the impact.