PDA

View Full Version : Wotmania closes, Readandfindout.com opens

Belazamon
08-30-2009, 01:19 PM
Well, the day has finally come - Wotmania (http://www.wotmania.com/) is closing its doors after August 31st, and Readandfindout.com (http://www.readandfindout.com/) has just opened its doors for business. Here's hoping that RAFO moves on to bigger and better things than even Wotmania was able to dream of. :)

It's a good group of people - the only community I've been a part of as long as I've been here. If you come check us out, you'll see me posting over there as Craig.

Sei'taer
08-30-2009, 01:27 PM
wait a minute...you're a dude?

Belazamon
08-30-2009, 01:41 PM
It's true.

Terez
08-30-2009, 04:42 PM
From what I understand, most of the book scholars from Wotmania won't be posting at the new site.

Edit: Dom is lurking here now, but he's not viewing this thread - he's viewing threads on General. :)

Kurtz
08-30-2009, 06:20 PM
Why the change?

Terez
08-30-2009, 06:39 PM
The webmaster of Wotmania lost interest in WoT years ago, and finally decided to close down the site. The site Bela linked is one that some of the members have started. Some other members decided to start this blog (http://13depository.blogspot.com/) instead, and hopefully they will be congregating here when the new book comes out.

Kurtz
08-30-2009, 06:47 PM
Cool. Never really frequented anywhere but here anyway.

Brita
08-30-2009, 07:14 PM
Oh, I see, so you didn't disappear on me for another online AS. I don't know which hurts more, being abandoned for someone, or being abandoned for no one....

Davian93
08-30-2009, 07:19 PM
Oh, I see, so you didn't disappear on me for another online AS. I don't know which hurts more, being abandoned for someone, or being abandoned for no one....

LOL...ouch.

Kurtz
08-30-2009, 08:24 PM
No one compares to you, my Dear.

You shone too bright and I was not tough enough to meet the challenge.

So I retired temporarily from TL and learned some life lessons. Had many an epiphany. Wailed and cursed at the night, strode and endeavoured during the day. Have become fitter, happier, more productive. Have achieved Stage 5 at the Internets.

I'm a man now.

Belazamon
08-30-2009, 08:45 PM
The webmaster of Wotmania lost interest in WoT years ago, and finally decided to close down the site. The site Bela linked is one that some of the members have started. Some other members decided to start this blog (http://13depository.blogspot.com/) instead, and hopefully they will be congregating here when the new book comes out.This is true. Personally more of my interest is currently in the Sci-Fi and Fantasy Board (http://www.readandfindout.com/scififantasy/messageboard/), as I currently read other things far more than I do WoT. Hence my continued interest in the new site. :D

Though I must say I'm also heavily drawn to the TV & Movies Board (http://www.readandfindout.com/tvmovies/messageboard/). I am rather fond of movies.

Brita
08-30-2009, 08:45 PM
No one compares to you, my Dear.

You shone too bright and I was not tough enough to meet the challenge.

So I retired temporarily from TL and learned some life lessons. Had many an epiphany. Wailed and cursed at the night, strode and endeavoured during the day. Have become fitter, happier, more productive. Have achieved Stage 5 at the Internets.

I'm a man now.

~~swoons~~

JSUCamel
08-31-2009, 12:51 AM
The format of the board is hideous. Takes forever just to read one thread. Is there a tree or hybrid layout that I can switch to?

Terez
08-31-2009, 12:53 AM
The format of the board is hideous. Takes forever just to read one thread.
Good, they'll feel right at home then.

JSUCamel
08-31-2009, 12:56 AM
Good, they'll feel right at home then.

Looks like I may need to write a script of some kind to reformat that to something more readable. If it's even possible. Yeesh.

Belazamon
08-31-2009, 01:06 AM
Good, they'll feel right at home then.I'm not even sure what that means.

Looks like I may need to write a script of some kind to reformat that to something more readable. If it's even possible. Yeesh.Oh, you kids with your linear-thread hangups. ;)

I've never understood people who hate that kind of board layout. But, hey, to each their own.

Terez
08-31-2009, 01:09 AM
I'm not even sure what that means. It means that Wotmania's format was hideous, and that it took forever just to read one thread.

Terez
08-31-2009, 01:13 AM
Okay, now I've looked at it. It's EXACTLY like Wotmania. UGH.

Belazamon
08-31-2009, 01:14 AM
Okay, now I've looked at it. It's EXACTLY like Wotmania. UGH.Wah.

Terez
08-31-2009, 01:18 AM
I can't think of any advantage to that format at all.

Belazamon
08-31-2009, 01:29 AM
I can't think of any advantage to that format at all.The main advantage is not having to read the entire thread. With a community as big as wotmania's, nobody really ever tries to read everything ever posted. Honestly, clicking on the posts you're actually interested in reading makes more sense to me than having to wade through a bunch of crap you really couldn't care less about.

Anyway, I don't feel like starting another fight on this board, so I will try to swallow my irritation. The casual dismissal of another forum - my other home, as it were - on such grounds annoys me, but that's my problem and not yours. Just realize that if I get snappish about such things, that's why.

JSUCamel
08-31-2009, 02:23 AM
The main advantage is not having to read the entire thread. With a community as big as wotmania's, nobody really ever tries to read everything ever posted. Honestly, clicking on the posts you're actually interested in reading makes more sense to me than having to wade through a bunch of crap you really couldn't care less about.

Anyway, I don't feel like starting another fight on this board, so I will try to swallow my irritation. The casual dismissal of another forum - my other home, as it were - on such grounds annoys me, but that's my problem and not yours. Just realize that if I get snappish about such things, that's why.

I don't feel like arguing about this, especially since I don't have to deal with the way you view it -- I just have to worry about what's easy for me.

I wrote a quick script to quickly throw all of the replies into one long page, which makes it easier for me to read it. It's not as nice as the hybrid/threaded format, but I can only do so much with it using pure Javascript.

I'll continue tweaking it before I release it to you guys, should you desire to use it.

Terez
08-31-2009, 02:33 AM
How do you know which posts you want to read until you read them?

tworiverswoman
08-31-2009, 02:49 AM
How do you know which posts you want to read until you read them?Exactly what I was wondering...

I went to WoTMania once or twice - back when I used to be a DragonMount poster. Some of the first things I saw were what I felt were rude, snarky comments about how they were about to be "invaded" by "losers" from DM. I didn't go back after that.

But I remember thinking that thread format was annoying as fuck.

GonzoTheGreat
08-31-2009, 03:27 AM
No one compares to you, my Dear.Well, that answers that, it seems.
~~swoons~~A sensible reaction, under the circumstances.

Terez
08-31-2009, 04:14 AM
You shouldn't try to be clever before lunch, Gonzo.

GonzoTheGreat
08-31-2009, 04:19 AM
You shouldn't try to be clever before lunch, Gonzo.Now that is a rather devastating put down, considering the fact that I rarely have lunch.

Terez
08-31-2009, 05:18 AM
You should. Nourishment does all sorts of wonderful things for your wits, I hear.

Davian93
08-31-2009, 06:24 AM
The main advantage is not having to read the entire thread. With a community as big as wotmania's, nobody really ever tries to read everything ever posted. Honestly, clicking on the posts you're actually interested in reading makes more sense to me than having to wade through a bunch of crap you really couldn't care less about.

Linear threads are better...just ensure people stay on topic.

Belazamon
08-31-2009, 12:53 PM
I went to WoTMania once or twice - back when I used to be a DragonMount poster. Some of the first things I saw were what I felt were rude, snarky comments about how they were about to be "invaded" by "losers" from DM. I didn't go back after that.There's always idiots. ~shrug~ We try to keep 'em in line, but God keeps crankin' 'em out faster than we can kick 'em back.

Weird Harold
08-31-2009, 01:15 PM
I can't think of any advantage to that format at all.
I can think of two.

1: it's a proprietary forum software written specifically for WOTMania and willed to the RAFOnians. Therefore there are no licensing fees to third party forum software writers or waiting for bug fixes and new features.

2: the message headers with *NM* (meaning "No Message)allow for a conversation consisting of one-liners without all of the overhead of adding a full fledged post to the thread.

Brita
08-31-2009, 01:24 PM
OK- so I went to check out this format that is being debated, and made it no further than the book review for Gone Away World on the Main Page. Now I just want to run to the bookstore and get it!

EDIT: Alright, so I checked it out. TL is the only online community I frequent, and even looking through the RAFO.com threads made me feel like I was at a big party filled with people I don't know, all reminiscing about events I don't know and laughing at inside jokes, and all I could think was "I wish I was here with my TL friends" and feeling very lonely and blue.

Well, at least for the 10 seconds I was there. Now I'm back here, and feeling very safe and secure.

Terez
08-31-2009, 01:28 PM
2: the message headers with *NM* (meaning "No Message)allow for a conversation consisting of one-liners without all of the overhead of adding a full fledged post to the thread.
haha! Yes, we did that quite a few times when we had the ezBoard tree, but we invariably got bitched out for it by someone. :D

Ishara
08-31-2009, 01:40 PM
EDIT: Alright, so I checked it out. TL is the only online community I frequent, and even looking through the RAFO.com threads made me feel like I was at a big party filled with people I don't know, all reminiscing about events I don't know and laughing at inside jokes, and all I could think was "I wish I was here with my TL friends" and feeling very lonely and blue.

Well, at least for the 10 seconds I was there. Now I'm back here, and feeling very safe and secure.[/QUOTE]

I sometimes wonder if people feel that way when they get here...I hope not.

Weird Harold
08-31-2009, 02:06 PM
haha! Yes, we did that quite a few times when we had the ezBoard tree, but we invariably got bitched out for it by someone. :D
That's because ezBoard -- and every forum software I know of except WOTMania/RAFO -- creates the message body (with the necessary overhead) whether you put any text in it or not.

Terez
08-31-2009, 02:11 PM
I somehow doubt that's the reason why we got bitched out.

Belazamon
08-31-2009, 02:12 PM
EDIT: Alright, so I checked it out. TL is the only online community I frequent, and even looking through the RAFO.com threads made me feel like I was at a big party filled with people I don't know, all reminiscing about events I don't know and laughing at inside jokes, and all I could think was "I wish I was here with my TL friends" and feeling very lonely and blue.Yeahhhh, that's gonna happen for the first week or so, I'm afraid. It's basically a huge moving/housewarming party at the moment. Sci-Fi/Fantasy and Movies/TV aren't nearly as bad right now as the Community board, though.

I sometimes wonder if people feel that way when they get here...I hope not.I would assume they do. This is an awfully insular group of posters, or at least that's how it feels. If I hadn't been here for years and years, I probably wouldn't have stuck around very long upon my return a few months ago. ~shrug~

Terez
08-31-2009, 02:15 PM
We are a bit less insular on General, but even there, we have our pet theories and we can generally anticipate each other's arguments, so it's probably the same deal there.

Sarevok
08-31-2009, 03:37 PM
I sometimes wonder if people feel that way when they get here...I hope not.
I know I did for the first few weeks, even though I'd lurked for about a month.
It's something you get with just about every forum.

Brita
08-31-2009, 03:44 PM
I know I did for the first few weeks, even though I'd lurked for about a month.
It's something you get with just about every forum.

Ya, I think it is natural- because it is life, really.

Orc
08-31-2009, 11:49 PM
The only reason I visit here is because I met half of you through Guild Wars, but when I started posting everyone made me feel welcome. Yay everyone!

Terez
09-01-2009, 01:07 AM
I think we are generally pretty welcoming to anyone who seems happy about being here.

Belazamon
09-01-2009, 01:42 AM
I think we are generally pretty welcoming to anyone who seems happy about being here.
That may very well be the case, but I wasn't really referring to "welcoming." It was more an observation on how much of an in-crowd this site can appear to be.

Terez
09-01-2009, 05:16 AM
That may very well be the case, but I wasn't really referring to "welcoming."
I wasn't arguing with you.

Gilshalos Sedai
09-01-2009, 08:10 AM
I am. But that's because he's Bela. If too many people agree with him, the Horse of the Dark gets a swelled head.

You're wrong, Bela.

Birgitte
09-01-2009, 12:01 PM
I jumped right in. Went straight to the newbie forum with barely a cursory glance at the rest of the boards. I felt welcomed with open arms (well, actually with offers of delicious cake and poisonous kaf). From there, I jumped straight to the chat. Really, I never felt unwelcome.

Belazamon
09-01-2009, 12:03 PM
I wasn't arguing with you.
My mistake. Perils of a linear thread format, and all that. ;)

I am. But that's because he's Bela. If too many people agree with him, the Horse of the Dark gets a swelled head.

You're wrong, Bela.
Hey, now. I got over that years ago. I haven't had any self-esteem since 2005.

Gilshalos Sedai
09-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Well, consider it a stop-gap measure then, gotta keep it at bay. ;)

Matoyak
09-02-2009, 01:22 AM
I jumped right in. Went straight to the newbie forum with barely a cursory glance at the rest of the boards. I felt welcomed with open arms (well, actually with offers of delicious cake and poisonous kaf). From there, I jumped straight to the chat. Really, I never felt unwelcome.
Same for me.

Also, I wasted my one free healing from Zae by drinking that Kaf. rofl. I think that was about the time that Cal stopped actually posting in the newbie threads, wasn't it...

Birgitte
09-02-2009, 08:38 AM
Yup. He was pretty much done after that. Still... His legacy lives on, in the form of crimsonthorn in the kaf.

Sei'taer
09-02-2009, 03:53 PM
uh...sorry if I screwed up the new site. All I did was try to register and it went balls out on me.

Belazamon
09-02-2009, 04:13 PM
uh...sorry if I screwed up the new site. All I did was try to register and it went balls out on me.
Nah, site's fine. You must have just tripped the hillbilly sensors.

Sei'taer
09-02-2009, 04:19 PM
HA...I'm in. Beware Mule!

Belazamon
09-02-2009, 08:14 PM
HA...I'm in. Beware Mule!
Damn. Obviously we didn't have them calibrated high enough.

tworiverswoman
09-03-2009, 02:35 AM
Linear threads are better...just ensure people stay on topic. Cough... choke... sputter. Have you looked at the "Michael Jackson" thread lately? (Silly question - you posted about a fourth of it...)

When I first found the WoT forums, I started out on DragonMount, but posted here at pretty much the same time, just less. Until DM had a several-month-long shut-down for inexplicable reasons having (probably) to do with runaway hamsters and stuff. TL was comfortable to me from the get-go.

I can remember taking great pride in having (for quite a long time) the longest newbie thread on EZ-board. Heh - I was SOOO heartbroken when some Johnny-come-lately beat my record.

And I got quite a bit of pleasure in arguing with Callandor. He was still being "nice" because I was new. :P

Terez
09-03-2009, 02:49 AM
I can remember taking great pride in having (for quite a long time) the longest newbie thread on EZ-board. Heh - I was SOOO heartbroken when some Johnny-come-lately beat my record.
I could have sworn it was B's thread that broke your record. Cause we revived it and spammed it, right?

Terez
09-03-2009, 06:03 AM
My mistake. Perils of a linear thread format, and all that. ;)
Or rather, the perils of a person who doesn't know how to follow a linear format.

Birgitte
09-03-2009, 01:13 PM
I could have sworn it was B's thread that broke your record. Cause we revived it and spammed it, right?

Yup! I hold the record. :D

Belazamon
09-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Or rather, the perils of a person who doesn't know how to follow a linear format.
It doesn't particularly matter if you know how to follow a linear thread format, if people stop citing who they're quoting, or stop quoting altogether. Then you have to go back and read everything again, whereas with a nested format, you can simply step back a page and look who they were replying to. :D

You can be cranky and inflexible about it as you want to be. Ain't gonna change my mind.

Terez
09-03-2009, 04:54 PM
It doesn't particularly matter if you know how to follow a linear thread format, if people stop citing who they're quoting, or stop quoting altogether.
When I don't quote someone, then I'm responding to the post directly above (same goes for most folks). It's really simple, and only gets confusing when people pretend we have a proper tree format and post without quotes in response to something several posts ago. Sometimes when I'm responding to the last post, someone will jump in while I'm posting, and usually I catch it and go back and add a quote to clarify.

Davian93
09-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Cough... choke... sputter. Have you looked at the "Michael Jackson" thread lately? (Silly question - you posted about a fourth of it...)

Whatever do you mean? We've kept completely on topic in that thread...we just took a winding path is all.