PDA

View Full Version : I get a kick out of things like this.

Sei'taer
09-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Politicians, on both sides, seem to always forget that you don't piss off a journalist. They are word type people and can take just a minute or two out of their day to tear you a new ass. Then, when you have other journalists get in the mix, it makes it even funnier...especially when they are competitors. Anyway, I was scanning yahoo and this popped up and it was pretty funny so I decided to post it and the follow-ups. I'll have to keep an eye out in case the two papers decide to go at it MMA style.

SHERMAN FREDERICK: Enough is enough, Harry (http://www.lvrj.com/opinion/56171937.html)

Stop the childish bullying

This newspaper traces its roots to before Las Vegas was Las Vegas.

We've seen cattle ranches give way to railroads. We chronicled the construction of Hoover Dam. We reported on the first day of legalized gambling. The first hospital. The first school. The first church. We survived the mob, Howard Hughes, the Great Depression, several recessions, two world wars, dozens of news competitors and any number of two-bit politicians who couldn't stand scrutiny, much less criticism.

We're still here doing what we do for the people of Las Vegas and Nevada. So, let me assure you, if we weathered all of that, we can damn sure outlast the bully threats of Sen. Harry Reid.

On Wednesday, before he addressed a Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce luncheon, Reid joined the chamber's board members for a meet-'n'-greet and a photo. One of the last in line was the Review-Journal's director of advertising, Bob Brown, a hard-working Nevadan who toils every day on behalf of advertisers. He has nothing to do with news coverage or the opinion pages of the Review-Journal.

Yet, as Bob shook hands with our senior U.S. senator in what should have been nothing but a gracious business setting, Reid said: "I hope you go out of business."

Later, in his public speech, Reid said he wanted to let everyone know that he wants the Review-Journal to continue selling advertising because the Las Vegas Sun is delivered inside the Review-Journal.

Such behavior cannot go unchallenged.

You could call Reid's remark ugly and be right. It certainly was boorish. Asinine? That goes without saying.

But to fully capture the magnitude of Reid's remark (and to stop him from doing the same thing to others) it must be called what it was -- a full-on threat perpetrated by a bully who has forgotten that he was elected to office to protect Nevadans, not sound like he's shaking them down.

No citizen should expect this kind of behavior from a U.S. senator. It is certainly not becoming of a man who is the majority leader in the U.S. Senate. And it absolutely is not what anyone would expect from a man who now asks Nevadans to send him back to the Senate for a fifth term.

If he thinks he can push the state's largest newspaper around by exacting some kind of economic punishment in retaliation for not seeing eye to eye with him on matters of politics, I can only imagine how he pressures businesses and individuals who don't have the wherewithal of the Review-Journal.

For the sake of all who live and work in Nevada, we can't let this bully behavior pass without calling out Sen. Reid. If he'll try it with the Review-Journal, you can bet that he's tried it with others. So today, we serve notice on Sen. Reid that this creepy tactic will not be tolerated.

We won't allow you to bully us. And if you try it with anyone else, count on going through us first.

That's a promise, not a threat.

And it's a promise to our readers, not to you, Sen. Reid.

Sherman Frederick (sfrederick@reviewjournal.com) is publisher of the Review-Journal and president of Stephens Media.

Las Vegas Sun (http://www.lasvegassun.com/blogs/ralstons-flash/2009/aug/31/rj-publisher-responds-nonexistent-threat-senator-t/)

SF Chronicle (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/09/01/politics/p122608D56.DTL&type=politics) (I love the last line in this one)

Gilshalos Sedai
09-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Lovely. A journalistic pissing contest.

Davian93
09-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Lovely. A journalistic pissing contest.

Objectivity?

SCREW THAT!!!

Sei'taer
09-02-2009, 05:20 PM
yup...lol...Sherman looks like he might have problems with his stream too.

Gilshalos Sedai
09-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Don't cross the streams!

Shit like this is why I'm glad I stuck with fiction.

Birgitte
09-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Objectivity?

SCREW THAT!!!

Journalism has never been objective. That's just something Americans made up.

Davian93
09-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Journalism has never been objective. That's just something Americans made up.

Well yeah, I know that. They tried to at least pretend to have objectivity for a while. Though yellow journalism started more than one war in our nation's history.

Birgitte
09-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Well yeah, I know that. They tried to at least pretend to have objectivity for a while.

heh... Yeah, but my point was that it was just pretending.

And I'm with Taer, I get a kick out of things like that. :D

Davian93
09-02-2009, 11:15 PM
heh... Yeah, but my point was that it was just pretending.

And I'm with Taer, I get a kick out of things like that. :D

I think its hilarious.

Birgitte
09-02-2009, 11:20 PM
I think its hilarious.

Indeed.

bowlwoman
09-02-2009, 11:49 PM
No citizen should expect this kind of behavior from a U.S. senator. It is certainly not becoming of a man who is the majority leader in the U.S. Senate.

Uh, don't they all do this kind of crap? I FULLY expect this type of behavior from a U.S. Senator, regardless of which side of the aisle they hail from. This is American democracy at its finest! /sarcasm

JSUCamel
09-03-2009, 01:20 AM
Uh, don't they all do this kind of crap? I FULLY expect this type of behavior from a U.S. Senator, regardless of which side of the aisle they hail from. This is American democracy at its finest! /sarcasm

Woot! Only 6 posts in and she's already a cynic! Our work here is done, people!

Sei'taer
09-03-2009, 07:37 AM

I'm so proud. That brought a tear to my eye!

GonzoTheGreat
09-03-2009, 07:54 AM
Uh, don't they all do this kind of crap? I FULLY expect this type of behavior from a U.S. Senator, regardless of which side of the aisle they hail from. This is American democracy at its finest! /sarcasmI have a convert!

Though to be fair to politicians: it is not at all limited to the American ones only. In some countries they have to be a bit more circumspect about it, but that's just a cultural difference really.

Jokeslayer
09-03-2009, 08:22 AM

Just because you do expect it doesn't mean you should expect it.

Gilshalos Sedai
09-03-2009, 09:03 AM

*shakes head sadly* That poor sentence.

Sei'taer
09-03-2009, 09:14 AM

I went from being very proud to being down again.

Ishara
09-03-2009, 09:47 AM
Um, who ever said that journalists should be objective? What does that make FoxNews? :D

Zanguini
09-03-2009, 09:54 AM
fair and balanced

Jokeslayer
09-03-2009, 10:25 AM
*shakes head sadly* That poor sentence.

It's my sentence and I'll treat it however I like, thankyouverymuch.

Brita
09-03-2009, 10:41 AM
It's my sentence and I'll treat it however I like, thankyouverymuch.

Sentence-beater! You should be ashamed.

bowlwoman
09-03-2009, 10:46 AM

True cynics are born, not made.

Jokeslayer
09-03-2009, 10:48 AM
Sentence-beater! You should be ashamed.

Just because I should be ashamed doesn't mean I will be ashamed. I wouldn't have to beat it if it would just do what I tell it to.

Birgitte
09-03-2009, 02:27 PM
hehehehe... I can't rep you anymore, Oh Fine Slayer of Jokes. :) But the thought is there. I'll just rep Brita instead.

Brita
09-03-2009, 02:49 PM
hehehehe... I can't rep you anymore, Oh Fine Slayer of Jokes. :) But the thought is there. I'll just rep Brita instead.

Sweet! I like your philosophy- "Just rep Brita instead" :D

I tried to rep Jokeslayer for you, but apparently I also need to spread the love- so I'll just rep Birgitte instead.

Jokeslayer
09-03-2009, 03:05 PM
This game is so rigged

Gilshalos Sedai
09-03-2009, 03:09 PM
I got him.

Birgitte
09-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Sweet! I like your philosophy- "Just rep Brita instead" :D

I tried to rep Jokeslayer for you, but apparently I also need to spread the love- so I'll just rep Birgitte instead.

Sweet. :D

And at least someone got you, Jokeslayer! (is it bad that I still think of you as Yaga, though it's been quite awhile now?)

Mort
09-03-2009, 06:33 PM

The big question is: Are we turning people into cynics or are cynics drawn to us? Both? God I hope it's not both!

Matoyak
09-04-2009, 04:58 AM
The big question is: Are we turning people into cynics or are cynics drawn to us? Both? God I hope it's not both!
Lol, repped. (Sorry Yaga, not allowed to rep you. :( )
Also yaga, no complaining about lack of reppings I've been repped twice! :D ~and back in my day, we were GLAD we were only repped twice in a year~ ~shakes cane~

Jokeslayer
09-04-2009, 05:22 AM
Sweet. :D

And at least someone got you, Jokeslayer! (is it bad that I still think of you as Yaga, though it's been quite awhile now?)

Yes it is. I for one am appalled. Come join me in th Corner of Shame. (My first response was going to be "you can think of me however you like" but I rejected it for being a little creepy. Now that I've invited you to my Corner of Shame, though, it doesn't look so bad)

Birgitte
09-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Yes it is. I for one am appalled. Come join me in th Corner of Shame. (My first response was going to be "you can think of me however you like" but I rejected it for being a little creepy. Now that I've invited you to my Corner of Shame, though, it doesn't look so bad)

LOL... ~joins Yaga in the Corner of Shame~

Yeah... Just a tad on the creepy side.

bowlwoman
09-04-2009, 04:24 PM
By the way, at what point do I get to rep people? A certain number a posts? A certain ranking? Am I dealing with operator error here (on my part)?

Davian93
09-04-2009, 04:26 PM
By the way, at what point do I get to rep people? A certain number a posts? A certain ranking? Am I dealing with operator error here (on my part)?

Elders and above can give Rep.

bowlwoman
09-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Gotcha. :)

Sei'taer
09-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Gotcha. :)

At elder status, you are only allowed to rep people with an "s" a "t" and an apostrophe in their name.

Love Sei'taer

Zanguini
09-04-2009, 05:27 PM
did i mention that my first name is S'teven?

GonzoTheGreat
09-04-2009, 06:09 PM
At elder status, you are only allowed to rep people with an "s" a "t" and an apostrophe in their name.Of course, for Americans, with their 'unique' grasp of spelling, that's not a severe handicap. Others often ignore this rule, but it is possible that enforcement will become more stringent. Sometime. When Tam gets around to it.

Sei'taer
09-04-2009, 10:39 PM
Of course, for Americans, with their 'unique' grasp of spelling, that's not a severe handicap. Others often ignore this rule, but it is possible that enforcement will become more stringent. Sometime. When Tam gets around to it.

You're just pissed because I got Tam to fix it that way before you ever thought about it.

(PS In the states it's spelled uneek)