PDA

View Full Version : Twin Tower

NargsBrood
05-31-2008, 10:55 PM
is this a MUD? graphical MMORPG? thread based RPG?

ShadowbaneX
06-01-2008, 12:02 AM
thread based, although it's been on life-support for quite a while now. :-\

NargsBrood
06-01-2008, 08:21 PM
Would anyone be interested in experimenting with a MUD type format?

NargsBrood
06-02-2008, 12:45 AM
What it would entail:

It's all text based. Basically we would create the world before we can play around in it. The game engine would keep track of player levels/experience, track your equipment/weapon/armor/potions for you.

You can make factions that can war with eachother.

We would need Builders who would like to create areas. Two Rivers, Tear, Stone of Tear, Tar Valon, The Waste.

The world is represented as thousands of rooms all connected to eachother. Each of the rooms can be connected using directions like North, South, East, West. When you enter a room it will list the room description, exits, and room contents(including players, non-player characters, and objects on ground).

When you create a room you write the text description of the room, create it's exits, doors, locked doors, keys to those doors, non-player characters(NPC), that NPC's equipment(weapon, armor), animals whatever.

We would need programers to maintain the game engine and shape it to fit WOT needs. They'd add new spells/skills, create new character classess and races.

I could be a coder and a builder.

Sarevok
06-02-2008, 03:07 AM
maybe it should be noted here that something like that already exists: wotmud.org (http://www.wotmud.org/)

Anaiya Sedai
06-02-2008, 05:02 AM
i'd be up for it.

NargsBrood
06-02-2008, 01:40 PM
Does anyone here play wotmud? Ive never played it. There would be advantages and disadvantages to starting our own.

If we created our own-
Disadvantage: creating the world and modifying the code to suit our needs requires time
Advantage: we would have complete control over the world to be able to customize it the way we want it... run all desired changes through a Council so that no one person has complete control over the game.

Another option may be to ask wotmud for their source code. they started with someone elses codebase and may be willing to share the modified version they currently run or maybe a slightly outdated backup. I imagine though they would not be willing to do that.

Anaiya - If we did do it, would you like to be a coder and/or builder and/or player?

Gilshalos Sedai
06-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Problem: Most of the people interested in this type of thing are all playing Guild Wars.

NargsBrood
06-02-2008, 10:20 PM
I guess that makes sense... thanks for squashing my life long dream Gil

Just looking for something to cure my boredom.
:)
I dont have a fast enough internet connection at the moment to play any mmorpg's.

I went from a 26mbit down, 20mbit up fiber optic with almost ZERO latency to a 256k down, 56k up with unbearable latency satellite connection that costs twice as much.:(

Think of me in my time of need :)
I did play Elder Scrolls:Oblivion which only allows for single player. Did that for a few weeks but it got old fast. Great game though.

Maybe I'll go through warcraft2 again.

Unless... Does anyone have any suggestions for good single-player games?

caladanbrood
06-03-2008, 07:56 AM
PC only?

Total War, certainly :)

Bryan Blaire
06-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Nargs, I would say check out Neverwinter Nights and Neverwinter Nights 2. I haven't been involved with either game in a long time (used to mod for NWN1), but if they got all the bugs worked out of the Persistent World set ups, you might actually be able to find some pretty cool Persistent World stuff (mini-MMOs) that are based around WoT. Dunno how well the connection would work, but you might have fun playing either of those two games.

Nazbaque
06-09-2008, 10:15 AM
I did play Elder Scrolls:Oblivion which only allows for single player. Did that for a few weeks but it got old fast. Great game though.
You should try Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. It's earlier in the series so graphics aren't quite as good and the conversations are all text, but there are the three Houses and their quests, Imperial Legion quests, Imperial cult quests and Tribunal temple quests in addition to the four Guilds. Also the main quest ladder is longer and has a better plot. Besides the game has a strip club in it.

But if you want to take the MUD project further I can help in the design. I'm no good at coding, but I can design the character sheet and help on the game system rules

John Snow
06-09-2008, 11:50 AM
If you like space games, Microsoft's Freelance is an oldie but very goodie.

caladanbrood
06-13-2008, 03:19 AM
If you like space games, Microsoft's Freelance is an oldie but very goodie.
Assuming you mean Freelancer, seconded. It's an awesome game :D And virtually open-ended too, which helps it's playability.

Rune420
07-09-2008, 12:40 AM
Play the "old" Black Isle Bioware games.

They're all great; Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Planescape: Torment, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2.

Although, you'll probably have to buy most of those used, or download them.

Sarevok
07-09-2008, 03:16 AM
Last month, I came across a Baldur's Gate 4-in-1 pack (both games + expansions) for €5 :D, I picked it up right away. :D

AbbeyRoad
06-24-2009, 11:56 PM
Used to play a Wheel of Time MUD. Was kind of fun, but surprisingly time consuming. I might be interested in playing if someone would do all the coding/building... med school takes up just about all my spare time.

Wow, my inner geek is coming out.

Gilshalos Sedai
10-15-2009, 03:58 PM
Frenzy and I may be sending out the rest of the "Keeper" plot via email. If you wish to read it, in progress, (not add in) please give us your address, below. No timeline on when we'll start finishing it up. So, if you've read up to the current point and want to know how it all ends, we'll write it up (the main actors, that is), and y'all can read it. Or the finished product will be on the fiction board.

WinespringBrother
10-23-2009, 12:55 PM
While waiting for these last 4 days to go by, I re-read the rescue of Katra from the Dawn Star thread. Good stuff!

Did it leave off there (us running off the docks, that is) or was there more?

Gilshalos Sedai
11-03-2009, 12:11 PM
There was more on the PhB board, but hamsters ate it.

Matoyak
11-04-2009, 01:27 AM
There was more on the PhB board, but hamsters ate it.Nom nom nom.
http://www.quackamole.com/albums/lolcats/funny_pictures_hamster_has_the_happiest_nom_ever.j pg

RogueSavior
11-04-2009, 02:09 PM
On the subject of writing up plotlines of the past, I've found myself in control of most of the characters for Danette's Siege of Cairhien, and extremely bored today.

Now I just need to get ahold of Van De Vere, assuming (s)he wants to be involved in the writing of his role.