PDA

View Full Version : Benevolent Dictator Becomes JordanCon Figurehead

Tamyrlin
09-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Thought I'd mention this - soon to be announced by those at JordanCon. I have been asked to be Toastmaster at JordanCon 2010. I was surprised - but be honest, you're surprised too!

Since I'm so outgoing (not) this should be interesting. I'd like to officially challenge all of us to do what we can to overrun the place with as many hardcore fan freaks as we can. We did a pretty good job last April, but I know we can do much better...and there's not a better time than when I'm a Figurehead!

So - come and join us and see if you can beat last year's Poker champion; I'm looking forward to taking home another leather bound edition.

Brita
09-17-2009, 02:25 PM
Congrats Tam!!!!! If ever there was a time to go....

Gilshalos Sedai
09-17-2009, 02:26 PM
And buy TL T-shirts!

Tamyrlin
09-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Maybe new t-shirts for JordanCon...hmm...

ShadowbaneX
09-17-2009, 02:54 PM
I still say we need a "<-- I'm with Asmodean's killer" t-shirt

Sarevok
09-17-2009, 03:48 PM
WOOT!!

Congrats, Tam! :D

GonzoTheGreat
09-17-2009, 03:58 PM
You can try to get away with using the words "I propose a toast ..."
Should be doable even for a not very outgoing person. Short and to the point and all that.

Belazamon
09-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Hold the phone!

Since when did you become benevolent? ;)

Seriously, that's pretty cool, congrats.

WinespringBrother
09-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Grats! So does that mean you get to plan the opening ceremony? Interesting... :D I'm sure a lot of HCFF's can help with that!

Tamyrlin
09-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Begrudgingly Benevolent Dictator? That better?

Belazamon
09-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Begrudgingly Benevolent Dictator? That better?How 'bout Lackadaisically Benign? :D

Tamyrlin
09-17-2009, 04:42 PM
I'll be collaborating with Jenn's team running JordanCon on the Opening Ceremonies, but I believe I will have a significant say in that first hour (like Jason's skit at the beginning of JordanCon this year).

So - thoughts? Jason set the bar pretty high with his creativity this year.

WinespringBrother
09-17-2009, 04:53 PM
Yeah LOL it will be very tough to top the opening sketch last year...

How about a HCFF (and other's) casting call for the eventual WOT movies LOL

GonzoTheGreat
09-17-2009, 05:29 PM
You could give a short recap of the Taimandred arguments. If you're lucky, you'll convince a bunch of newbies who hadn't encountered the idea, yet.

Tamyrlin
09-17-2009, 06:59 PM
Of all theories that have died over the last two decades, maybe a print out for attendees...eww...Shayol Ghul Gazette...hmm

Terez
09-17-2009, 07:02 PM
Quiz Bowl!

Tamyrlin
09-17-2009, 07:05 PM
I played with the idea of a Game Show - Hollywood Squares, Jeopardy or some other, with audience participation.

ShadowbaneX
09-17-2009, 09:23 PM
BS vs Harriet on a Theory Quiz...give them help options from Theorylanders.

Muirenn
09-18-2009, 12:28 AM
Can the false modesty, Matt. You were plenty outgoing last year and were a ton of help with panels & such. We're very happy to have you as our Toastmaster this year! :D

And for everyone else who is planning to attend, be sure to skip on over to the planning boards at AgeofLegends.net. We will be kicking up the public planning on JordanCon within the next few weeks! I know my programming team is already hard at work on the staff forums!

-Aubree Pham
JordanCon Director of Programming

Tamyrlin
09-18-2009, 01:12 AM
...Ok...so it doesn't take THAT long for me to feel comfortable...and after that moment you can't shut me up. :)

Can't wait for JordanCon!

Frenzy
09-18-2009, 01:35 AM
does that mean we throw bread at you? (kudos if you get the reference)

i like a Theory Obituary. And recognition for crackpot theories that were proven true years later.

Or a Quiz Show. The HCFF's would dominate. ~weg~

hmm.... a multitude of t-shirt-wearing individuals with a large "HCFF" emblazoned on their chests....

Leanne
09-18-2009, 11:35 AM
So - come and join us and see if you can beat last year's Poker champion; I'm looking forward to taking home another leather bound edition.

I must find a way to go, if for no other reason than to challenge this. :D

Congrats though. You obviously made a great impression last year. Though it will be hard to follow up the skit. I'm sure you will come up with something awesome.

Brita
09-18-2009, 12:12 PM
i like a Theory Obituary. And recognition for crackpot theories that were proven true years later.

I really like this idea too- it can be done quite creatively- even a funeral home skit and a prominent display of RJ's quote:

"I have always thought that the small whimper of a theory as it dies is a beautiful sound."

Muirenn
09-18-2009, 07:31 PM
Someone must explain to me this idea of 'theory trivia'. It was suggested last year, but I have to say that I just don't get it. Examples of questions (& answers) would be helpful!

Isabel
09-20-2009, 10:27 AM
For example:

Name a quote that people use to proof Greandal killed asmo.

Frenzy
09-20-2009, 11:07 AM
Or name a quote people use as proof that Moiraine is dead.

(i probably shouldn't use 'people' in the plural there... )

Muirenn, i used to do WoT Trivia quizzes, and i have hundreds of questions that you're free to use. Some are easy, some are hard enough to make the HCFFs go searching thru the books for the answers. You're welcome to it, if you'd like it.

GonzoTheGreat
09-20-2009, 11:24 AM
(i probably shouldn't use 'people' in the plural there... )Don't worry about it, Frenzy, no one is surprised when you refer to yourself as "we the people".

Muirenn
09-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Frenzy, I'd love to see 'em! If nothing else, we've been talking about having 'pub trivia' in between panels. Send me an email (muirenn@gmail.com), and I'll get you in touch with my track director who will be handling the games & such. And I'm definitely curious, since we had some complaints that our questions were too hard this year. Right now, the plan is to have different levels of difficulty during the trivia sessions. Culminating in the ultimate WoT trivia quiz of DOOM! :D

As for the theory trivia, the problem I see with those questions is that there is no way to objectively prove the 'rightness' of the answers, or there may be more than one right answer. If it were set up differently, it might be possible. Like:

What happens to Lan when Moiraine falls through the redstone ter'angreal? (the bond is broken/passed and he is compelled to seek out Myrelle)

Birgitte
09-21-2009, 12:21 AM
Yay for Tam! :D

Aaaaaand....

does that mean we throw bread at you? (kudos if you get the reference)

Yay! I get kudos! :D

Isabel
09-21-2009, 01:31 AM
Woohoo :) Congrats Tam! You will do a wonderfull job.

X.X.
10-07-2009, 04:12 PM
Go Kart Race.

Zanguini
10-07-2009, 04:24 PM
those poor poor people at golden corral

Cary Sedai
10-07-2009, 11:00 PM
This year I refuse to be dragged to dinner during the trivia quiz! Dang it! :p

Jonai
10-10-2009, 04:54 AM
I say you abuse your power and influence to subject everyone to copious amounts of who killed asmo.

Hmm i wonder if jacob will be back this year...he was cool.

and grats tam.

wish i knew how to play poker...

Isabel
10-10-2009, 07:28 AM
Depends on what is revealed in tgs. if the killer already is revealed it's no fun;)

GonzoTheGreat
10-10-2009, 07:49 AM
Nah, they'll leave that until the last book. And then forget about it.
This will result in tons of Internet discussions, until finally someone asks about it during a book signing. At first they'll say they did include it. Then Harriet will look at BS, and BS will look at Harriet, and one of them will say "Oh, we scrapped that chapter, didn't we? It was Adeleas."

Jonai
10-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Pssaw, as if they would reveal it in the first book. It's gonna be a time traveling Narg anyways. Or maybe scratch the cat...those two are deadly.

Frenzy
10-10-2009, 09:24 PM
They're on my work computer, Muirenn, so i have to get them to you from there.

And only if that means i'm not disqualified from participating ;)

Muirenn
10-11-2009, 12:52 AM
Jake is in charge of the book panels again. I gave him his own track of book discussion this year!

So maybe if you bribe him/me sufficiently between now & January you might convince us to do an Asmodean panel.

Frenzy, I'm sure we could work something out. :)

Jonai
10-11-2009, 02:45 AM
Questions were too hard? lo..l. OH that's cool. I don't want an asmo panel I just think it would be funny and I like to be tortured.

SauceyBlueConfetti
10-13-2009, 10:33 AM
any musicians going to JordanCon (Terez)?

A rendition of Jak o' the Shadows would be fun.
From poking around in the old interviews/signings information I saw RJ wrote the lyrics to the tune of Garryowen:

http://lewis184.home.mchsi.com/garryowen.htm

Frenzy
10-13-2009, 11:58 PM
ok, Muirenn, i sent them too you. And as i was reading them i realized how bloody rusty i am. Yeesh!

Hopper
10-14-2009, 09:51 AM
An Asmodean panel?!?!? Will boxing gloves be provided or do we need to bring our own.