PDA

View Full Version : Old Messagebords Archives and teh Database

a dragonburned fool
06-02-2008, 12:57 PM
I'm eager to begin work on the new theories database. But to do that I have to address links to the archived threads. So what is the plan for the archived forums? In what format should they appear on Theoryland.com?

I have the links to the old ezboard URLs, something that is ecrtainly gone and couldn't be usefull in any manner save to limit the place to search for each thread. But is it possible that the archived threads would appear here with URLs with numbers that would correspond to the numbers they have now in yuku. So that for example a database link could be transformed from p079.ezboard.com/ftheorylandfrm14.showMessage?topicID=(number).topi c into www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=(number)+(some constant number)? So that I could wright some easy procedure to transform the old URL into new ones...

Weird Harold
06-02-2008, 01:31 PM
But is it possible that the archived threads would appear here with URLs with numbers that would correspond to the numbers they have now in yuku. ... into www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=(number)+(some constant number)? So that I could wite some easy procedure to transform the old URL into new ones...

You will have to wait until the threads are imported to see if they import in numerical order. If they should import in numerical order, the offset is probably going to be a subtractive or negative number (ezB# minus offset == Vb#)

One thing about vBulletin is that the search function is up to providing you with the links as long as you have the titles correct in the index posts -- just paste the post thread title into the search page and search title's only and it should turn up the correct link in about 2 seconds (maybe ten seconds total to update each link to the new location.)

Terez
06-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Yeah, I understand you being eager, adbf, but you stand to waste a lot of time unless you wait until we've imported everything. Be patient. ;)

GonzoTheGreat
06-03-2008, 06:15 AM
Well, you could possibly start after one of the archives has been imported. That might (or might not) give you the information needed to figure out how to automate a lot of it.

I would be surprised if starting before that would be of any use, but since it wouldn't be me doing the work I have no real objections against it.

Tamyrlin
06-03-2008, 09:31 AM
is to set up a second set of boards at theoryland, where we would have vbulletin help us move from ezboard. I just need to get a hold of them and get that going.

a dragonburned fool
06-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Directly form ezboard? It would be great. So that the URLs for particular threads could correspond somehow... So much hope you give to me, my Lord!!!