PDA

View Full Version : OMG I HAD IT IN MY HANDS

Terez
10-21-2009, 09:10 PM
Dude at the store, which will remain unnamed, was sooooo helpful, and wanted to do everything he could to try to let me have the book. But it wouldn't scan. :( :( :(

I started reading chapter 3...

Aviendha chapter, still in Arad Doman

...going back now to try to read some more in store!

Terez
10-22-2009, 12:34 AM
Had to drive out of town, but I found someone who was willing to let me read some in store after I assured the person that I was going to buy it on the day, so I got to read through chapter 12, and will hopefully be able finish it tomorrow - but I will post about what I read in the spoiler thread. This was just my OMG YAY thread. :D

Wunderwaffe
10-22-2009, 01:19 AM
I'd have grabbed the book and ran.

Terez
10-22-2009, 01:57 AM
haha, I ran out to my car to get something to take notes on after the person grabbed the book for me, but left the book inside where no one was likely to get it, and rand back in and the person was at the door cause he thought I'd done just that. :D

Tercel
10-22-2009, 02:40 AM
Sometimes it sucks not to live in America...

Not only do no stores in town have the book yet. But it won't actually reach stores here until a week after the release date! :mad: :mad: :mad:
ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

...of course I can remind myself of all the reasons why I'm glad I don't live in America (free health care, no guns, a half-decent justice system, my country doesn't invade other countries, we actually have a real democracy (ie more than 2 parties, we don't allow bribery aka 'lobbying') etc...)

...but all that does pale in comparison to having to wait an extra week for the next book. (hmm, not sure what that says about me)

Terez
10-22-2009, 02:44 AM
hahaha, the first people to get it were in Europe and Canada! And I don't have it, because bookstores are Nazis here and have protections in the computer against ringing them up! I just got to read some in store. :D

1Powerslave
10-22-2009, 07:10 AM
LOL at you reading it at the store, Terez. I'm happy for you. :)
I'm coolly expecting copies to be available without preorder at my fantasy bookstore on release date (has been for previous releases).

Terez
10-22-2009, 07:23 AM
I just realized I only have 5 hours to sleep. :0

Terez
10-22-2009, 07:49 AM
And waiting for my suite-mate to finish with the bathroom so I can shower before bed....

OMG YAY! 5 more hours and I will hopefully be reading more! And taking more notes!

It kind of sucks cause there's no one to discuss it with. But at the same time, I'll be ready to discuss as soon as people start getting it, and I won't have to wait. :D And by then my thoughts will already be on the next book...

Zaela Sedai
10-22-2009, 10:49 AM
I will NOT read that spoiler thread, lol

Terez
10-22-2009, 10:57 AM
People caught reading it so far:

Bowlwoman
Dewie
Tree Brother
TerceI
Neil
XX
Frenzy
Sodas
vardene
lots and lots of guests

I also gave Neil a spoiler in chat that I withheld on the spoiler thread. He wanted it. And I wanted to tell someone!

bowlwoman
10-22-2009, 11:38 AM
People caught reading it so far:

Bowlwoman

I have no shame. Absolutely none.

I just spent the morning calling every single bookstore in Austin, and no one has it or is selling it until the 27th. GAH!

Wunderwaffe
10-22-2009, 11:39 AM
Heh, this reminds me partially of my days playing WoW. Specifically of people spamming trade and general chat with "SNAPE KILLED DUMBLEDORE!" over and over and over. Thankfully I had the presence of mind to read the book before I logged on to WoW.

Terez
10-22-2009, 12:37 PM
20 MINUTES AND I WILL BE READING THE REST!

bowlwoman
10-22-2009, 12:43 PM
20 MINUTES AND I WILL BE READING THE REST!

SQUEEE!!!!!!!!

So, are you taking notes and then doing a big write up after you get home, or do you have some way to update us in real time? :D I'm such an impatient spoiler whore.

Terez
10-22-2009, 12:46 PM
I has my computer in the store. Can't guarantee I will give chapter-by-chapter reports. And how much spoiler do you like? Anyone who is a serious spoiler whore needs to PM me cause I'm not going to post serious spoilers here at all, unless it's related to that one spoiler that I went into in the spoiler thread. Anything else even halfway approaching being that major, I'm leaving off the boards till Tuesday out of respect for those who don't really like spoilers but don't fight temptation well either...

bowlwoman
10-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Hmmm...that's a tough one. I love spoilers (I was spoiled for Wash's death in Serenity even for the preview showing), so I guess I like to know the big major bomb moments, but I don't like knowing all the details of how it happens. Using the Serenity example, I knew that Wash died and vaguely how it happened, but it was still a major shock to actually see it.

One thing I don't want to be spoiled for is Verin, other than what I already know. That section I want to savor. :D

I'll PM you. I'm heading out to pick up the girlie from school, so it'll be at least a hour until I'm back. :)

Sarevok
10-22-2009, 01:22 PM
I just bought 2. :D

The second is already spoken for, sorry.

Excuse me if I don't respond to IMs for a few hours. :D

Isabel
10-22-2009, 01:25 PM
Yay, Sare is my hero :)))

Terez
10-22-2009, 01:27 PM
Dude in the bookstore is my hero!

Or maybe I am my own hero...

*sigh*

Dude says that stock people have moved stuff around, and now he has to find it again, and he can't do it till they leave cause it will be suspicious. So now I have to come back in 4.5 hours. And I will only have 3 hours to read! I hope that will be enough - I made it through 10 chapters last night, so maybe I can make it through 10-15 more tonight, as I've got a bit more time and I won't be running back and forth so much.

Also, I have one more store I can try. :D

Brita
10-22-2009, 02:13 PM
Dude in the bookstore also thinks you are a hardcore, certifiable, pathological fan freak.

Your welcome :D

Terez
10-22-2009, 02:34 PM
I think he likes me.

NargsBrood
10-22-2009, 02:50 PM
I think he likes me.

all you have to do is flirt with a guy and he'll like you if not put his life on the line for you let alone try to sneak you a copy of the book.... dont girls know this??:confused:

Brita
10-22-2009, 03:01 PM
all you have to do is flirt with a guy and he'll like you if not put his life on the line for you let alone try to sneak you a copy of the book.... dont girls know this??:confused:

Yes, we do.

creepybob
10-22-2009, 03:03 PM

It's okay Narg, we can claim a moral advantage.

creepybob
10-22-2009, 03:05 PM
I think he likes me.

<valleygirl>

OH MY GAWD! Do tell!

So, what's his name? Is he, like, totally cute? Does he have Dreamy Blue Eyes?

Was he hitting on, you? Like, IN the books store?

What did he smell like? 'cause guys who smell like books are, like, a total turn off for me. </valleygirl>

bowlwoman
10-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Aww Terez, sorry to hear about the WoTBlock. Hopefully you can get some good cramming in your 3 hour block tonight. Are you going to see if you can get it to ring up tonight?

I went to my local grocery store on my way home today, and I decided to look in the book section just in case. When I looked on the back wall, I saw a hardcover, with familiar lettering and a Darryl K. Sweet "artistic" rendition. My heart started pounding, and I thought, "THIS IS IT!" When I got closer, though, I saw that it was a copy of WH in the bargain bin for $1.99. WoTBlocked!

creepybob
10-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Aww Terez, sorry to hear about the WoTBlock. Hopefully you can get some good cramming in your 3 hour block tonight. Are you going to see if you can get it to ring up tonight?

I went to my local grocery store on my way home today, and I decided to look in the book section just in case. When I looked on the back wall, I saw a hardcover, with familiar lettering and a Darryl K. Sweet "artistic" rendition. My heart started pounding, and I thought, "THIS IS IT!" When I got closer, though, I saw that it was a copy of WH in the bargain bin for $1.99. WoTBlocked!

I wish I was ONLY WoTblocked. :(

Brita
10-22-2009, 04:08 PM
It's okay Narg, we can claim a moral advantage.

You can claim whatever your heart desires, creepybob.

~~catches creepybob's eye, sneaks in a little wink~~

p.s. fwiw, I flirt much more effectively in real life

creepybob
10-22-2009, 04:27 PM
You can claim whatever your heart desires, creepybob.

~~catches creepybob's eye, sneaks in a little wink~~

.....must..........not.........succumb..........mu st...........maintain.........moral..........advan tage!

p.s. fwiw, I flirt much more effectively in real life

...I require proof. :p

DeiwosTheSkyGod
10-22-2009, 04:50 PM
I told myself I wouldn't read spoilers but I JUST CAN'T HELP IT. I haven't been so excited for a book in a looooong time.

Terez, do you know what the deal is with Verin?

No one in the Dragonmount thread will say! Or as of yesterday they didn't, at least.

NargsBrood
10-22-2009, 04:53 PM
I just called all bookstores within a 1 hour drive and a few said they'd order it for me to have by monday. Only thing with those is they are an hour away.

1 said they were getting their shippment in tomorrow and that i should try calling them tomorrow!! the one for tomorrow is 5 minutes from my house so I am hoping they'll ignore all the "DO NOT SELL UNTIL OCT 27" stickers all over the box!

There was 1 more that is about 45 minutes away that said they would be getting a shippment in today or tomorrow but i asked them to put me on a list to call me and reserve a copy when it gets in!

*SIGH* i've wasted so much time at work this afternoon!

I tried this seemingly low quality bookstore yesterday that said they had the book but couldnt sell it till 27th and i was surprised since they didnt seem very reputable...

Does anyone know any tricks to get them to release it from their cold clutches?

bowlwoman
10-22-2009, 05:13 PM
I told myself I wouldn't read spoilers but I JUST CAN'T HELP IT. I haven't been so excited for a book in a looooong time.

Terez, do you know what the deal is with Verin?

No one in the Dragonmount thread will say! Or as of yesterday they didn't, at least.

I got accidentally spoiled from RAFO, so if you REALLY want to know, PM me. Trust me, though, you'd rather find out while reading. I wish I wasn't spoiled about it.

DeiwosTheSkyGod
10-22-2009, 09:20 PM
All right, I'll pass. I'm DYING to know, though!

Zaela Sedai
10-22-2009, 09:26 PM
I'm working from home that day....my lunch will be to get the book...when doors open of course...and then well...maybe i wont get much work done, but i NEVER slack so EF IT BABY!

bowlwoman
10-22-2009, 09:54 PM
Yeah, I think I'm going to offer to take the girlie to school that morning then hit B&N on the way home just as it opens.

Davian93
10-22-2009, 10:01 PM
I drive by B & N everyday on my way to work so I will be picking it up on my morning break (which will coincide with the opening of the store...ironically enough). I will also end up taking an unexpected half-day and leave at lunch with a "headache" or some crap like that. I havent decided on the specific symptoms yet.

bowlwoman
10-22-2009, 10:04 PM
LOL...my poor 16 month-old will be watching Sesame Street for 3 hours straight before we go to pick up her older sister from school. :D If there's anytime for the TV to be a babysitter, this is it.

Terez
10-23-2009, 12:32 AM
My body decided it needed sleep more than book. So I slept. Maybe later today (meaning Friday) I'll try again...

Isabel
10-23-2009, 09:37 AM
I finished it ;) I did like it, although I do miss RJ and some of his descriptions.
Thankfully the story dragged me a long. I am however very curious, what is Jordan and what is Brandon.

Tree Brother
10-23-2009, 09:46 AM
I finished it ;) I did like it, although I do miss RJ and some of his descriptions.
Thankfully the story dragged me a long. I am however very curious, what is Jordan and what is Brandon.

I take that as a good sign. I could see the different styles in Chapter 1, and it was a bit jarring. The audio of Chapter 2 was better. If the remainder of the book is so engrossing that you gloss over the different styles without noticing, that is good :)

Sarevok
10-23-2009, 10:05 AM
I finished it ;)
So you decided not to go to work after all, then? :p

Isabel
10-23-2009, 10:22 AM
No I went to work, but i wasn't feeling that well.
A colleague suggested i should go home.

Crispin's Crispian
10-23-2009, 11:09 AM
No I went to work, but i wasn't feeling that well.
A colleague suggested i should go home.
Was this before or after you offered to let said colleague read the book? ;)

Davian93
10-23-2009, 11:52 AM
I just checked a couple local stores at lunch and no beans. None of them have it out yet and one even told me it doesn't come out till Nov 3rd.

I guess I have to wait next week.

Yellowbeard
10-23-2009, 11:57 AM
i have found 6 different places that have it in their stores right now, all within a 20 minute drive of my house/work. they all refused to sell me a copy early. i even promised to tell noone and also not to post it on the internet that i had it.

on tuesday, i'll be taking my lunch break to go to books-a-million and buy one of the 51 copies they have sitting in their stock room as i write this.

if i were a girl i could have batted my eyes at the guys and suckered them into it. i was thinking maybe i'd go try again while dressed in drag...:D

1Powerslave
10-23-2009, 01:13 PM
You don't sound so exited. I sure hope the book will be good.

Isabel
10-23-2009, 01:15 PM
You don't sound so exited. I sure hope the book will be good.

Serously, i did really like the book. A lot of very exciting stuff happens!!!

I have to gather my thoughts and reread it again. The first rush was 'oh that's so cool' :p

1Powerslave
10-23-2009, 01:26 PM
Serously, i did really like the book. A lot of very exciting stuff happens!!!

I have to gather my thoughts and reread it again. The first rush was 'oh that's so cool' :p
Phew! That sounds better. :)

Terez
10-23-2009, 03:05 PM
Yeah, I didn't even notice BS much as I was reading it. In retrospect, there are a couple of scenes I thought fell flat, but it's not as if I couldn't say the same about RJ sometimes.