PDA

View Full Version : Dav's Thoughts/Review of TGS

Davian93
10-27-2009, 05:43 PM
First of all, I must say this: The book was well worth the wait. More happened in this book than the last two combined. Secondly, it is clearly Brandon's book. His style came through in the pacing and verbiage. However, it worked for me. I, like many, had some small doubts about his ability to write Wheel of Time. He answered those doubts and then some. He truly is a great writer and it showed in this book. Having read Elantris and the Mistborn Trilogy, I saw a good young author who was maturing in his craft. Here, I saw a professional. He took Wheel of Time and put his own mark on it while keeping true to the Master. I look forward to reading Warbreaker (a book I bought back in July but haven't gotten around to yet) now that I'm done anticipating TGS.

Back to the writing style: Other than an occasional "Hmm, that's different" I didn't notice the difference. It wasn't jarring, it wasn't annoying, and it didn't take away from the story. Brandon did a wonderful job and I look forward to the next installment next Fall.

Specifically to the plotline, several questions have come to mind since finishing the book:

1. What lasting effects will Rand have from having used the True Power?

2. Is death by True Power balefire just as final as regular balefire?

3. Is Graendal 100% fully dead?

4. Why does Tam hate AS so much (Other than his stated reasons, there must be something more)?

5. Will Rand be able to even seize Saidin anymore or is the sickness too far along?

6. What orders did Verin give Mat?

7. Will Egwene finally bond Gawyn (annoyed that wasn't resolved)?

8. What has happened to all the Sisters at the Black Tower (Both envoys have disappeared)?

Those are just the tip of the iceberg. Its gonna be a fun year of theorizing I think.

Belazamon
10-27-2009, 08:00 PM
1. What lasting effects will Rand have from having used the True Power?

2. Is death by True Power balefire just as final as regular balefire?

3. Is Graendal 100% fully dead?

4. Why does Tam hate AS so much (Other than his stated reasons, there must be something more)?

5. Will Rand be able to even seize Saidin anymore or is the sickness too far along?

6. What orders did Verin give Mat?

7. Will Egwene finally bond Gawyn (annoyed that wasn't resolved)?

8. What has happened to all the Sisters at the Black Tower (Both envoys have disappeared)?
1. I'm not convinced we've seen the last of the Rand/TP connection. Seems far too significant - and he's still connected to Moridin anyway. As Verin made it a point to mention, "there really isn't a way out, not once the Great Lord has his claws in you."

2. I have some questions about TP balefire, actually. Rand certainly didn't hold back against Semirhage - so why weren't some of her actions undone once he blasted her? Does TP balefire not work exactly the same way?

3. I think she's 100%, anticlimactically dead. Kinda reminds me of Sammael's death, actually - I was convinced it was too anticlimactic to actually be true, but it ends up I was too optimistic on that front.

4. Possibly it has something to do with the Aiel War, and the fight outside Tar Valon...

5. Too soon to say.

6. RAFO. :D

7. Eventually.

8. RAFO. :p

Davian93
10-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Thanks Bela.:rolleyes:

The TP Balefire thing really makes me wonder. I too noticed that none of her actions were undone so I wonder if its completely different and Semi might be back in another form. On the other hand, Semi deserved to be punished in the DO's eyes and she was while serving to advance the cause of the Shadow.

SauceyBlueConfetti
10-28-2009, 09:46 PM
4. I still think Kari was a burned out AS and Tam's issues are based on her abandonment by the Tower. This argument goes back eons, I don't recall who all took sides on this.

WinespringBrother
10-28-2009, 09:58 PM
3. Not if Graendal is as clever as Rand thought she was. In other words, more clever than him LOL (for example, if she had someone else compel the Domani Lord, then left the scene via gateway). After all, we saw no corpse, and no scream hanging in the air, no "No! You ... have avenged Asmodean!"

4. Tam probably figured out how Siuan and Leane misled him and Abell when they went to the WT looking for Rand and Mat. I don't really think his anger was directed at Verin and Alanna, anyway. If it was something from his war days, he sure held it bottled up for a loooooong time.