PDA

View Full Version : TGS vs 1 thru 11

NargsBrood
10-28-2009, 08:04 PM
While i was reading i felt bad that RJ couldnt see the fruition of some of these great story arcs! He was denied what was rightfully his to reveal to us. Something he had been building up to for so many years. So many answers to so many of his RAFO's were revealed. Things he had been planning from the beginning. At first I considered BS a thief coming in the night to steal the show but have since come to realize the opposite.

Oh I am not interested in the usual speculation of what sounded like RJ and what must have been BS(no pun intended).

Without taking into consideration 1 author vs the other, where does this one rank compared to the other books in your oppinions?

Belazamon
10-28-2009, 08:08 PM
I'd probably compare it closest to Winter's Heart. There's still parts that are a real slog to get through, but the good stuff is really good.

Terez
10-28-2009, 08:16 PM
Meh, this book had far more action than Winter's Heart. Action-wise, it's more exciting than any book since Lord of Chaos, IMO. Writing-wise....the writing was excellent for the most part - I especially enjoyed the writing when it came to the Lews Therin situation - but I miss the old Mat. :(

NargsBrood
10-28-2009, 08:20 PM
Belazamon.. i ask this question as if from the shoes of a brown aes sedai... simply for understanding :) did you read spoilers before this book came out? Do you think that affects your oppion at all and/or do you think mine might be affected for not reading the spoilers and I may still just be on my high?

For me, it rivals any book in the series. I've never had my emotions thrown around like they were while reading this book. So many moments that were long in coming.

Out of curiosity, how did you all read the book? I read it over a period of 2 days... took 2 days off work and probably spent about 30 hours reading it. I read it as fast as i would have read it out loud to one of my children. I read every single word in the book.

I found only 2 moments that I actually drudged through any moment in the book... it was always when a transition from an egwene scene to a rand scene happened. But that only lasted as long as 2 or 3 paragraphs and only because i was uber excited about the egwene arc.

my first instinct on seeing that you compare it to WH was "REALLY? WH?"

but to each his own :) I hope though that I am not the only one that feels this strongly about this book.

Tamyrlin
10-28-2009, 08:45 PM
That it is better than most after Lord of Chaos. It moves, it's funny, some threads close, others open, more information about Verin, Graendal hopefully gets wiped out, Semirhage gets taken out by the TP, Rand almost kills Cadsuane, Egwene saves the Tower, Aes Sedai get taken, Tuon becomes Empress, Rand and Tam finally meet up...I loved it. I read it in about ten hours. I read it fast - I plan to go back and pay closer attention, especially now that I know a small Asmodean killer clue was included.

My pet peeve - I'm going to ask Brandon why more details weren't included regarding the Purge. That seemed to happen too fast for my taste. I would like to have seen more about the executions, atleast the public denunciations and Sheriams pleas, hear the words, sense the reaction, more of the chasing down and escape of the Black Ajah...that was too quick for me.

Overall - I think it fits in well with the entire series was a great beginning of the end.

The Black Wind
10-28-2009, 08:49 PM
It was great! I don't recall ever being so emotional about a book as I was when Rand almost killed Min. I was literally gasping for breath. Same with the Tam scene. For a second I thought Rand was going to kill him. Thankfully not. All in all I don't remember ever being so excited and emotional during books 1-11 (although I read them for the first time probably 4 years ago so I might not remember).

It's safe to say top 5 of the series, maybe top 3.

Davian93
10-28-2009, 08:50 PM
None of the books are bad. This one was up there with all the rest.

Belazamon
10-28-2009, 09:02 PM
Belazamon.. i ask this question as if from the shoes of a brown aes sedai... simply for understanding :) did you read spoilers before this book came out? Do you think that affects your oppion at all and/or do you think mine might be affected for not reading the spoilers and I may still just be on my high?
I read no spoilers aside from chapter titles, so I'd say we're on the same page. Both literally and metaphorically.

For me, it rivals any book in the series. I've never had my emotions thrown around like they were while reading this book. So many moments that were long in coming.
See, that was part of the problem for me - there were a lot of those kinds of moments, but even though I might have been gasping/cursing/cheering as soon as I got to them, I almost always felt like they were over too quickly (like Semirhage's death), or not really set up enough (like Verin's death). Once again, though, a lot of that probably has to do with getting used to the pacing we've been dealing with for the last several books. And honestly I felt like the Cleansing in WH had some of the same problems.

Out of curiosity, how did you all read the book? I read it over a period of 2 days... took 2 days off work and probably spent about 30 hours reading it. I read it as fast as i would have read it out loud to one of my children. I read every single word in the book.
Read it in about eight and a half hours. There's another thread lurking around here somewhere about reading times.

]I found only 2 moments that I actually drudged through any moment in the book... it was always when a transition from an egwene scene to a rand scene happened.
I kind of felt like I was plodding through most of the side characters' chapters, especially Gawyn, and to a lesser extent Aviendha. Perrin was particularly bad. Anything with Rand, Egwene, and Mat I was okay with.

my first instinct on seeing that you compare it to WH was "REALLY? WH?"
For the record, I quite liked Winter's Heart. In case that didn't come through in my original post. :D

Come to think, that was also a pretty Rand/Egwene-centric book. The two big events were Rand cleansing saidin and Egwene finally taking control as Amyrlin. I wonder if that has something to do with my comparison, actually.

EDIT: Oops. Apparently I've combined WH and PoD in my head again. It's funny how often I do that, actually - to this day I maintain that they were originally meant to be one book.

Belazamon
10-28-2009, 09:04 PM
It was great! I don't recall ever being so emotional about a book as I was when Rand almost killed Min. I was literally gasping for breath.
That was another thing that irritated me. The only real fallout from that near-murder was Rand constantly thinking "I'll bet she can't even stand to look at me now" whenever he sees her. We got no kind of real look at Min's emotional fallout from it, aside from "maybe he was right to try and send me away! but I'm staying anyway."

tworiverswoman
10-28-2009, 11:24 PM
I THOUGHT THIS THREAD WAS SAFE!!!

The title specifically limited it to TGS 1-11

or so I thought -- I misread the tread title. Crap.

Sigh...

~avoids TL for at least two more days...~

ETA: Nargs -- this book so far feels as good as any of the early books -- I'm really pumped!

creepybob
10-29-2009, 02:43 PM
I'd probably compare it closest to Winter's Heart. There's still parts that are a real slog to get through, but the good stuff is really good.

I dissagree with the slogging, but the disjointed chronology and stuff like "Rand saw Perrin talking to Galad" made me think of WH as well.

It's obvious that he's made, a quite good but noticible, slash through a much larger arc. We suspected this would happen, but now know for certain which I don't remember happening in the previous books.

Overall it was great, but Egwene as the Fount of Power would be enough for any book, combine that with Semi's release, Verin's confession, Mat's zombie incident, and Hurin, HURIN!, we've got a hell of a fast paced book.

Terez
10-29-2009, 02:44 PM
Don't forget Lews Therin!

I've been waiting for that moment for years now....definitely the most satisfying part of the book for me.

Mort
10-29-2009, 03:34 PM

I've been waiting for that moment for years now....definitely the most satisfying part of the book for me.

What about him? :)

I read the book in maybe 25-30 hours time, dispersed over about 2 days, I dunno really.

You who read it at 8-10 hours must be really really fast readers or have missed alot :)

I must say I actually skipped a few words here and there, when I knew it was empty adjectives piled on top of each other to describe some of the scenery. Often not critical information imo.

creepybob
10-29-2009, 03:46 PM

Yeah, the only thing that ticked me off was the Galad mention. I think that was way out of RJ form, we see the images after the fact as a chronological milestones, but the revelation was a mistake, imo.

Tamyrlin
10-29-2009, 03:50 PM
I put a thread at the top of the board - that this entire forum is a spoiler now that the book is released. Come back in two days!

Zaela Sedai
10-29-2009, 06:35 PM
I read it over a 24 hour period, from 330-1100 on Tues and 5PM - 3am on We/th whats that about 18 hours? I will start rereading tonight. I read every word myself, no skimming. And this was one of the best, I hope NOONE doubts Brandon after this.