PDA

View Full Version : Name your top three

SauceyBlueConfetti
10-28-2009, 09:33 PM
Name your top three best scenes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Verin - I had to put the book down
2. Semi's short lived revolt/Rand's grasping the OP - I expected a far different outcome when the collar snapped around his next, I thought Min was a goner
3. The entire story arc of the Seanchan attack on the Tower - loved that the novices kicked ass!

All I can saw is WOW. I enjoyed this very, very much and now look forward to reading everyone's comments

The Black Wind
10-28-2009, 09:36 PM
1) Rand nearly kills Min

2) Rand nearly kills Tam

3) Rand nearly kills everyone

WinespringBrother
10-28-2009, 10:11 PM
Best:

Rand's reunion with Tam

Egwene's proving that she has honor (not to mention that she will undoubtedly prove to be possibly the greatest Amyrlin ever (was it Siuan who said that) take that Egwene haters :P

Fireside chat with Moridin II (and other shout outs to the early books)

Worst:

Tuon's complete inflexibility toward making peace, even knowing that the Last Battle is coming.

FelixPax
10-28-2009, 11:45 PM
Name your top three best scenes

1. Egwene with a novice circle, saving Adelorna Bastine using the Vora's sa'angreal and gaining her respect. Wow!

2. Verin in the separate Mat, Egwene scenes. Satisfied finally...Black and a traitor of the Black in the last hour, for the Light. :)

3. Rand using HIS power versus Semirhage...implies Moridin granting Rand the True Power. Poor Min...even Elza became a mindless tool in the end, sad. Has major implications on multiple fronts in the future books.

Others:

- Tuon, Rand and the Halo of Darkness...Moridin's influence on Tuon's words.
- Mat's scenes in the area of Hinderstap
- Hurin's return, Rand's uber-crappy treatment of him.
- Rand and Tam scene...and Rand's actions on the top of Dragonmount.
- Min's pov when she notices a rejected Alivia all by herself. (What the hell did Alivia during in tGS? Even Rand seems to have ignore her of all people. Someone should of dropped Alivia off at Tar Valon, rolleyes (Alivia's alienation in the works?)...she was written almost sounding like Nicola's character prior to tGS, why?)

NargsBrood
10-29-2009, 12:48 AM
1 - egwene leading the novices

2 - egwene being force by elaida to stand up to elaida in front of the sitters.

3 - Verin's "capture of egwene" with all it's heart pounding scene and then turning suicide scene! I always knew verin was black! i need to dig for my post from like 4 or 5 years ago!(probably wont go digging :P)

4 - the mat/zombie scene was sweet!

creepybob
10-29-2009, 02:28 PM
1 - Egwene kiling SC. Sorry, but I just want to seem them dead. All of them. I was rather hoping that Rand would use his Access key to flip the SC continent upside down. I'm ready them bleed and beg, arrogant bastards.

2 - Caddy spanking Semi. That whole scene made me happy.

3 - Mat making his super complicated plan to find the woman looking for him. "You have a secret love of painting. See page 4"

4 - Rand standing on Dragonmount. Will it fix his sickness? Unlikely but I'm ready to see the poor guy catch a break on that front.

5 - Nyneave saying, "I wish Moiraine was here."

ShadowbaneX
10-29-2009, 02:34 PM
2 - Caddy spanking Semi. That whole scene made me happy.

3 - Mat making his super complicated plan to find the woman looking for him. "You have a secret love of painting. See page 4"

For me, 2 was one of the worst things in the series. I don't care how off guard you catch one of the Forsaken, they're not going to crumble like that. If Egwene can withstand beatings for weeks then Semirhage should have been able to withstand a spanking. Now, doing that over an extended period of time, with half the camp watching, that'd be different.

3 was what made the book for me.

One Armed Gimp
10-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Worst:

Tuon's complete inflexibility toward making peace, even knowing that the Last Battle is coming.

I thought that was a good scene. The Seachan prophecies (iirc) state that the Dragon Reborn is to kneel before the Empress. I don't see him doing that until he learns humility, which I think he now has. Besides, it was good to see someone finally stand up to him honestly.

Anyway, not to completely hijack the thread:

1. Verin with Egwene
2. Verin with Mat (made better with #1)
3. They were not two men, they never were. - Little lame, but long past due imo.

creepybob
10-29-2009, 03:01 PM
For me, 2 was one of the worst things in the series. I don't care how off guard you catch one of the Forsaken, they're not going to crumble like that. If Egwene can withstand beatings for weeks then Semirhage should have been able to withstand a spanking. Now, doing that over an extended period of time, with half the camp watching, that'd be different.

I thought that too, but Semirhage is not the most stable person, she is a psychopath after all, and the AS had been wearing her down with lack of sleep, which makes one a bit more unstable.

I thought that was a good scene. The Seachan prophecies (iirc) state that the Dragon Reborn is to kneel before the Empress. I don't see him doing that until he learns humility, which I think he now has. Besides, it was good to see someone finally stand up to him honestly.

I think those are corrupted, that's been implied.......somewhere.

There's gotta be a faction on that point.

Mort
10-29-2009, 03:06 PM
In no particular order:

Rand being forced to choke Min so he finally snaps completely.

Egwene fighting the Seanchan

Rand and Moridin meet-up.

Rand meeting Tuon

The funniest moment, where I laughed out loud were when Mat had done his backstories for his companions, pure gold that. Just check the sig ;)

One Armed Gimp
10-29-2009, 03:07 PM
Regardless of corruption Tuon, now Fortuona, will want to follow those prophecies.

creepybob
10-29-2009, 03:20 PM
Regardless of corruption Tuon, now Fortuona, will want to follow those prophecies.

Rand will "Bind her to him."

I think she's gonna unhappy with what comes next, I don't think we'll see Rand bowing and asking, please pretty please, for help.

Zaela Sedai
10-29-2009, 06:23 PM
Only three?

Egwene and Elaida at the second dinner

Rand and Tam (and what followed)

Verins whole story

Brita
10-29-2009, 11:52 PM
Verin in Egwene's Room

Semi's brief capture of Rand

Egwene's glory scene with the novices.

Best quote (soon to go in signature):

"You're Aes Sedai," Mat said, shrugging. "I figured you....you know, saidared it."
"Saidared it?" she asked flatly.

creepybob
10-30-2009, 11:57 AM
"You're Aes Sedai," Mat said, shrugging. "I figured you....you know, saidared it."

Honestly I think that Mat wouldn't have been included if every other PoV hadn't been grim as death.

Even the AS used to be funny in their own way, with the scheming, and the Laras scene w/ Egwene was a little comical, but the overall tone was darker.

So, now that Rand can smile every now and then, Mat can go into the ToG and rip out his eye without making us all take Prozac at the end.

FelixPax
10-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Honestly I think that Mat wouldn't have been included if every other PoV hadn't been grim as death.

"Vanin! Where on the Dark One's blistered backside are we?"- Mat ;)

ShadowbaneX
10-30-2009, 02:27 PM
for me, as an rpg'er, nothing's gonna beat "You have a secret love of painting. See page 4"

SauceyBlueConfetti
10-30-2009, 02:28 PM
That part was classic. I think that whole scene could become memorizable and quote worthy.

Zaela Sedai
10-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Yes, I wanted to put the "saidared it" in my sig as well, i have a couple others though LOL

Birgitte
10-30-2009, 04:31 PM
To steal some tvtropes.org terms, Top 3 Crowning Moments of Awesome

1) Rand and Lews Therin coming together at Dragonmount. I haven't actually cared about Rand since probably the Fires of Heaven. I cared about him when he decided he was getting a second chance. And good for him, throwing away the creepy statue and destroying the sa'angreal. Had to be done. Creepy damn statue ~shudders~

2. Egwene standing up to Elaida at the dinner. Standing there, covered in blood, still being beaten and just looking at her? Bad. Ass.

3. Verin. Of course.

And an honorable mention for Silviana standing up to Elaida. ~round of applause~

Crowning Moment of Funny

1. "Burn the man! There was good drama in those pages!" -- Mat Cauthon

Or really... All Mat's lines. FINALLY someone who can write good, entertaining dialogue has his hands on Mat.

2. "Yes, yes, Merise. I'm not trying to command you. If you'll deign to join us, though? It will be closing soon." -- Rand al'Thor

Made all the better because of how humorless the series has gotten and then right there in the prologue a clever snide remark. I literally laughed out loud. Rand has never made me laugh, but that was great.

3. "He can tell that I half want him to demand something indecent of me! Bloody Ashes!" -- Siuan

I love Siuan and Bryne's romance. Seriously. They're so cute!

Crowning Moment of Heartwarming

Nynaeve standing up for Mat. She's really grown up in the last two books, while at the same time staying true to herself. I'm really impressed. I've never really hated her, but for a long time I thought she was stupidly keeping herself blind. And now she publically and loudly admitted that Mat saved her life and is a good person! Just a few books ago she nearly swallowed her tongue rather than admit it in front of only people who were THERE! I just wanted to hug her.

Ivhon
10-30-2009, 04:45 PM
1. Luke and the Emperor...I mean Egwene and Elaida.

2. Verin

3.Egwene pwning Seanchean

This book was all Egwene. Luv that girl...

jason wolfbrother
10-31-2009, 04:38 AM
#1 Rand vs Semirhage Round Two. The whole scene from when Rand came back to the manor just after Semirhage had been freed by Shaidar Haran and Elza to the final comment to Min. Who else figured out that the "servant" was Semirhage before she attacked? ~raises hand~ the worst part for me was I was at work and got to that passage just as my break ended so I left with Rand walking in on Min and the servant. talk about a frickin cliffhanger for me ;)

#2 Egwene (all of it) She finally proved herself to me in this book. I liked her in the earlier one, tolerated her after TSR, was bored by her Salidar days, and muttered through the siege of Tar Valon. But in this book she proved she is worthy of being the Amyrlin Seat. Her dinners with Elaida, talking to the Sitters, saving Leane from the waxed steel (that part was cool too), refusing to run away, linking with the novices and Accepted and defending the Tower, destroying the Seanchan. But her biggest victory for me....Waiting before attacking the Tower. Showing the courage to hope for a peaceful solution. Welcome back Egwene

#3 Rand's last three or four chapters. From his meeting with Tam to the finale on Dragonmount. He finally came into his own too. He was "cuendillar" before and became human at the end.

#4(just cuz 3 is too few ;)) Rand and Moridin having a civil conversation in TAR. Especially compared to some of their previous encounters in TAR. Moridin is still the baddest of the bad when it comes to the Forsaken.

Ishara
11-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Mine:

I laughed:

At most everything Mat had to say. Especially the oft mentioned quote: You have a secret love of painting. See page 4.

I cried:

With Verin in the White Tower. I cling to the idea that Verin was always good in her heart and fought for the Light by being Black.

I cheered:

When Egwene kicked all sorts of ass and took all sorts of names during the Seanchan battle. I loved every minute of it.

JSUCamel
11-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Best quote (soon to go in signature):

I would be hesitant to put that in your sig just yet, especially if you're going to be posting on the other non-TGS boards. It's one of the best lines in the book. Wouldn't want to spoil it for those who haven't read it yet.

Having said that:

1) Rand and Moridin talking

2) Tam vs Cadsuane -- classic

3) Egwene's whole story line... but specific scenes that stuck out at particularly poignant and moving:

a) when Laras tries to help Egwene escape, Egwene refuses. Now THAT is dedication.

b) when Egwene chews out Elaida, and then gets beaten -- she proved her point admirably

c) when Egwene is rescued -- her disappointment and how upset she was really nailed home how dedicated and how great of an Amyrlin she really is.

I never really liked Egwene's character too much, but in this book, she easily jumped to the top of my list of favorites. Excellent, excellent plotline.

Honorable Mentions:

- Mat's insanely complicated backstories
- Olver obsessively playing Snakes and Foxes to figure out the secret (just the image in my head is super cute)
- Aviendha when she finally stood up to Bair. It was incredibly obvious to me what Aviendha's problem was from her first scene in the book, and I was very proud of her when she finally did stand up to her mentor and become a full-fledged Wise One.

Brita
11-04-2009, 01:00 PM
I would be hesitant to put that in your sig just yet, especially if you're going to be posting on the other non-TGS boards. It's one of the best lines in the book. Wouldn't want to spoil it for those who haven't read it yet.

I thought of that, but there is no spoiler in that quote. Mat is travelling with Aes Sedai after all- he could have said it at any time in any circumstance. If it mentioned Verin's name, that would have been different.

JSUCamel
11-04-2009, 01:12 PM
I thought of that, but there is no spoiler in that quote. Mat is travelling with Aes Sedai after all- he could have said it at any time in any circumstance. If it mentioned Verin's name, that would have been different.

It's not a spoiler, per se, but it's one of the most memorable lines in the book. I personally would rather have it surprise me out of the book than see it in someone's sig before I have a chance to get there. Part of why it was funny was because it was so unexpected.

Just sayin'.

Brita
11-04-2009, 01:13 PM
It's not a spoiler, per se, but it's one of the most memorable lines in the book. I personally would rather have it surprise me out of the book than see it in someone's sig before I have a chance to get there.

Just sayin'.

Ooooh- never thought of that. You are so right. Out they come (although if anyone here hasn't read the book yet- Shame On Them!)

JSUCamel
11-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Ooooh- never thought of that. You are so right. Out they come (although if anyone here hasn't read the book yet- Shame On Them!)

I would say wait a month. By December 1st, if they haven't read the book by then, it won't really matter. Five weeks is plenty of time to read it, no matter how slow or how busy you are. But seeing as it has been just over a week.. I'd wait.

:)

Bonzi77
11-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Great thread. Each post I read I was like "oh yeah, that is definitely in my top 3" and then I had a list that was about 15 things long. If I had to pick 3:

1) Egwene cleaning house in the Seanchan raid. That was the payoff to 12 books of character development for her, from a meek village girl/novice, to someone scarred by her experience with the color, to someone who didn't know how much she had to learn, to someone who understood the theory of leading if not how to do it, to finally a take no prisoners leader.

2) Rand and Tam. Something personally I wanted to see for a while now. Their interaction at the very beginning was a very realistic father-son dynamic and and was always intriguing to think what Tam would say if he saw what Rand had become.

3) Rand and Moridin. Very haunting. Great job interweaving several different relationships that exist just beyond the two of them without forcing it. Lews Therin vs. Elan Morin, Rand vs. Ishamael and the Dragon vs. the Nae'Blis all rolled into two people and one conversation.

Davian93
11-04-2009, 01:25 PM
I would say wait a month. By December 1st, if they haven't read the book by then, it won't really matter. Five weeks is plenty of time to read it, no matter how slow or how busy you are. But seeing as it has been just over a week.. I'd wait.

:)

Wow, has it really only been a week? I've already read it almost 3 times. Crazy.

Brita
11-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Wow, has it really only been a week? I've already read it almost 3 times. Crazy.

lol! my thoughts exactly. OK, fine. I will grant a 5 week period of grace before I post it in my sig.

1Powerslave
11-04-2009, 02:12 PM
1. Egwene rallying the Novices and killing Seanchan. This was almost exactly the way I had first imagined Egwene's part the Seanchan attack. Ever since we started discussing the different scenarios of the attack post CoT or KoD. Loved those scenes!

2. Perrin under the wagons, shouting Next! Just kidding... No. two is Rand meeting Tuon. Liked everything about that scene, except perhaps the way Rand tried to ta'veren pull Tuon.

3. Rand outsmarting Graendal. So simple and elegant! :D

Many more scenes are up there of course. But this is my three at the moment. I wonder if RJ would have managed/wanted this pace and this many revelations. I think Sanderson said in an interview that he deliberately were reading the fan forums to find out what people were curious about. I think he has gone out of his way to let us know stuff that RJ intented in a way that perhaps RJ would have chosen not to do, leaving us theorizing, wondering, even after the last book. I thank Sanderson for these revelations has written in and the mysteries he has ended.

Matoyak
11-05-2009, 06:23 PM
My top favorite big blocks of things:
1) Mat - Anything and everything he did. (Especially the complicated backstories)

2) Rand's last couple of chapters, the last few pages in specific

3) Egwene's whole story line. Minus the blinders she has on for Rand.

Specific instances:

1) Mat's insanely complicated backstories
2) Ituralde's PoV and chat with the Seanchan general. Just badass how civil they both were.
3) The Kamehameha beam That is, the Beam of Light on Rand in the Epilogue.

Kurtz
11-05-2009, 06:42 PM
I'm a bit surprised for all the affection for the Mat scenes. For me they are where Sanderson's influences lay heaviest and I was slightly uncomfortable reading them.

Plus Mat continues to be a tiresome, glib prick, so no change there. I liken it to regression similar to Perrin's dreadful whining about his responsibilities. Thought Mat had grown up slightly.

Best for me

Verin: genuinely touching

Graendal's demise: Shocking in it's brevity and calculation.

Rand exiling Cadsuane: Thought I liked Cadsuane somewhat but Rand raging at her and her very ruffled reaction were nice to see. Similarly with Tam's goading of her. I think she's destined to die.

Worst: Every page turned that didn't reveal Moiraine :mad:

edit: removing c-word, have we no swear filter!

Ozymandias
11-05-2009, 07:51 PM
- Hurin's return, Rand's uber-crappy treatment of him.

HAHAHA

1. Rand and Tam
2. Egwene arguing with Elaida, and then being beaten
3. Rand saying, ""you always were so full of thoughts, Elan." That was the best line in the entire series. Except when Avi tells Rand he's a lazy asshole after they bang. That was good too

SauceyBlueConfetti
11-06-2009, 07:49 AM
1. I think Sanderson said in an interview that he deliberately were reading the fan forums to find out what people were curious about. I think he has gone out of his way to let us know stuff that RJ intented in a way that perhaps RJ would have chosen not to do, leaving us theorizing, wondering, even after the last book. I thank Sanderson for these revelations has written in and the mysteries he has ended.

Agreed.

Marie Curie 7
11-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Many more scenes are up there of course. But this is my three at the moment. I wonder if RJ would have managed/wanted this pace and this many revelations. I think Sanderson said in an interview that he deliberately were reading the fan forums to find out what people were curious about. I think he has gone out of his way to let us know stuff that RJ intented in a way that perhaps RJ would have chosen not to do, leaving us theorizing, wondering, even after the last book. I thank Sanderson for these revelations has written in and the mysteries he has ended.

Meh. Brandon said specifically that RJ left instructions about which things were to be revealed and which things were not to be revealed.

BS blog, 12/27/07

Q: What other secrets are you going to reveal? Which plot points are you going to tie up?

A: This is one of the reasons that reading the material made me feel so relieved. While there are huge chunks that I need to write, there is always an explanation of what needs to be revealed, and what needs to be left for the reader to decide on their own. I will not be making any of these decisions on my own, but will instead be following Mr. Jordan's wishes regarding the plotting.

He ties up some very important plot points. Others, he leaves without explicit explanation. That was his way, and is one of the things that makes these books so wonderful. You don't need to worry, then, that I will try to explain too much or that I will leave out too much. I will do as the master instructed.

So, I would say that for most things, it is how RJ would have done it. There may be some minor stuff that was left up to BS to decide, though.

GonzoTheGreat
11-07-2009, 04:09 AM
So, I would say that for most things, it is how RJ would have done it. There may be some minor stuff that was left up to BS to decide, though.Such as the true nature of the LTT voice. :p

Terez
11-07-2009, 04:13 AM
LOL, I am reminded of the RJ quote that's in someone's sig...

I have always thought that the small whimper of a theory as it dies is a beautiful sound.

ShadowbaneX
11-07-2009, 10:17 AM
LOL, I am reminded of the RJ quote that's in someone's sig...
That would be Tam's I believe...actually I think he said that to Tam

Nelal Hurcran
11-08-2009, 12:46 AM
For "Amazing Visuals":

1) Egwene standing in a blasted hole halfway up the WT, hair blowing in the winds produced by dozens of to'raken bearing down on her, wrapped in the glow of saidar, blasting those same to'raken out of the air.....chills.

2) Rand on top of Dragonmount, filled with ever increasing amounts of sadin, hands upraised, ready to destroy the world. And then..........

3) Egwene, battered an bloody, calmly standing up to Elaida - who is something less then stable at this point - and coolly berating her.

For "Emotional Power":

1) Verin with Egwene.

2) Rand's last two chapters.

3) The WT AS coming to Egwene.

And dozens of others.

Yuri33
11-08-2009, 02:13 AM
Top moment is this passage:

TGS, Reading the Commentary
"If you'd explained to me how he regarded you," Tam said, "it might have gone differently. Burn me! This is what I get for listening to Aes Sedai."
"This is what you get for being wool-headed and ignoring what you are told!" Nynaeve interjected.
"This is what we all get," Min said, "for assuming we can make him do what we want."
The room fell still.

I just hope more people understand this--Nynaeve was beginning to when we saw how she was remembering back to Moiraine, but then she goes and join's Cadsuane's scheme. Close but no cigar.